The Mandatory "What book are you reading now?" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inmortal Works by Kafka

(It includes the Metamorphosis)

nofx :cheers:

I haven't actually started reading it yet but I plan to soon.

Vaclav Cilek - Inner and outer landscapes
Stephen Hawking - The Universe in a Nutshell

My Social Psychology book. Actually quite well-written and interesting. Only problem is that I have to read 50 pages of it a night. :(

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Man, this thing is more boring than a Led Zeppelin CD! I jest, it's not that bad, but christ is it a trawl to read. I think Mock the Week got it spot on with all the jokes bout J.K. Rowling simply not caring anymore. Maybe it's because I was so used to the book being set in one environment, or the cliche plots that were still somewhat enjoyable and fun, but this is just dragging on. I'm on chapter 22 now, and...

... it was only two or three chapters ago they found the first bloody Horcrux. Ah, several years wait for a new book, then 19 chapters - pretty much past the half way point now - and they finally find what they're looking for. Only, what, five or six more to go? And by the looks of how many pages are left, it looks like it's going to be quite rushed, compared to the previous finding. God forbid they fit some more book reading moments in there to quickly fill in the history gaps that haven't been explained before.

Restarted the Harry Potter series, and still in middle of Halo Ghosts of Onyx.

I'm trying to get my hands on the Dune series (read #1 #2 #3 and The Machine Crusade + The Buttlerarian Jihad) but I can't seem to be able to find them anywhere.

I've been half-way through the Tales of the Otori trilogy for a few months now. I'm half-way through the second book, but it's very slow to pick up compared to the excellently paced first book, and I haven't gone back to it since.

Also started reading Northern Compass, but then I decided I should concentrate on one trilogy at a time >_>

Diffusion by Cussler
...for my Unit Operations separations class. My professor claims it is a "hilarious" book but so far I haven't read anything funny.

I'm also reading The End of Oil by Paul Roberts for an energy technology & policy class, and that book is actually really interesting.

I'll probably start some novels, maybe Blood Meridian (Cormac McCarthy) or a William Gibson book... probably Idoru and then All Tomorrow's Parties since I just read Virtual Light.

Things Fall Apart - Chinua

<_<

English class.

That book is actually really good.....

Acid 8000 by Fatboy Slim

IF THIS DONT MAKE YOUR BOOTY MOVE YOUR BOOTY MUST BE DEAD

Edit: Goddammit, I keep confusing this thread for the music one.

Rules of Attraction by Bret Ellis Easton

picked it up after reading American Psycho but not finding it as engaging, yet anyway...

Notes on the Underground - Dotestofsky(or something like that)

love ittt

how many people have read crime & punishment? opinions?

The Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks

Zed-Heads / 10 - just bloody epicly funny and informative...

O FYODOR YOU ARE THE MOST ATTRACTIVE MAN

I?ve been reading a few books at once and in very quick succession so it makes more sense to say that this week I have read The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks and Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, and am reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and H.G. Wells: Journalism and Prophecy by some guy.

how many people have read crime & punishment? opinions?

Crime and Punishment is possibly my favorite work of literature ever, although it has some strong competition. Dostoevsky is an amazing author. Solaris, Notes from the Underground is good as well. I have a very special place in my heart for contemporary Russian literature, especially short stories.

Right now I'm reading/have just read:
Aleksandr Soltzhenitsyn - We Never Make Mistakes
Terrence McKenna - Food of the Gods
Emerson - Selected Works
David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest

For class:
Walter Miller - A Canticle for Liebowitz
Sophocles - Oedipus Tyrannus
Plato - Euthyphro

Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke, very good fantasy novel.

as well as a Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway, required for school, but I like him and would've got to it eventually

Robert Greeene - The 33 Strategies of War
Sun-Tzu - The Art of War

The complete works of Isaac Asimov
Machiaveli's Prince
about to pick up One Flew Over a Cuckoos nest.

The Sandman Companion... again.

I recently finished The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. I love his style. It's not proper philosophy but he makes a strong case. More info in my sig.

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

Loved it, recommend it to all interested in creative non-fiction or war memoirs, amazing storytelling

@Shakermaker: Several people in my Sociology 102 class were discussing that book last week, I'm thinking I'll pick it up.

Powers. Another grahpic novel series.

Theories and Methods in Political Science by David Marsh and Gerry Stoker

Just a quick read really, no time for big books.
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad

Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke

RIP Robert Jordan

Read quite a lot lately:

The Crusades through Arab Eyes by Amin Maalouf

Great book. The title is self explanatory: you get the other side to the story. I'd hoped for a little more on the Assassins , but all the juicy stories of intrigues, in-fighting and wtfpwning the Crusaders make up for that. The writer is a journalist, not a historian, which is a plus for me.

Amsterdam by Geert Mak
Read the dutch version of it. It's an anecdotal history of Amsterdam. Very readable and quite funny at times. Drags on a bit in the end; I could have cared less about the 1945 - now part.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Kite Runner 1.5 :|

I'm about done with Spin by Robert Charles Wilson and I'm moving on to Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

Re-reading Going Postal, Terry Pratchett. Great book, if not quite as funny as some of his other work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back