valve LOST an obscene amount of money the other night

Mountain Man said:
The whole point of Steam is to make this not a pain in the ass. Valve releases it on Steam, everybody automatically updates when they log in, problem solved.

Uck you really didn't read what i posted did you... Valve would have to literally go in and change the code, compile it (This can take time depending upon how long the source code is), Put it onto steam, have every user then server download it... I'm not downloading a new file everyday I play on steam...

Not to mention the issues that people would have with them updating before the server...

-Limb

Limb said:
Uck you really didn't read what i posted did you... Valve would have to literally go in and change the code, compile it (This can take time depending upon how long the source code is), Put it onto steam, have every user then server download it... I'm not downloading a new file everyday I play on steam...

Not to mention the issues that people would have with them updating before the server...

-Limb
u would have no choice, u would have to download it :p

plus every other patch i have used in my life hasnt needed to recomplie massive amounts of source code, so i dont see why valve couldnt release tiny patches everyother day to prevent warez masters ;)

i may very well be wrong, just my thoughts.

mutt said:
u would have no choice, u would have to download it :p

plus every other patch i have used in my life hasnt needed to recomplie massive amounts of source code, so i dont see why valve couldnt release tiny patches everyother day to prevent warez masters ;)

i may very well be wrong, just my thoughts.

It's a waste of bandwith and VALVe's time... Not to mention Those who want it will find a way around it... Hell they would probobly have to move the code around to make it harder to find.. It's just not a good solution.. and there never will be a solution that can stop pirating.

-Limn

JBrown03 said:
You think that people who pirate games wouldn't buy the game they pirate anyway? I agree that this would be the case for some people, but it's certainly not the case for everyone. I would say that most people who pirate a game would have bought it otherwise.

agreed

The entertainment industry as a whole loses an obscene amount of money every day; piracy is that widespread.

Steam will help limit the possibilites of illegal copies (continous updates to steadily annoy the hell out of crackers trying to keep up, just like cheaters), but I sure as hell didn't expect it to stop them altogether.

Well it seems I am the minority in this thread. I don't share that hopeless feeling regarding games. I don't think that is the way it is and it cannot be stopped. Oddly I do feel that way about the music industry hehe.

what kind of sick bastard would so this... i mean, like, cmon! how much memory is CS:S anyhow? they're blowing their sites bandwidth to upload then send, and the people who download usually have to wait a long time to get in one way or another... stupid people, seriously...

Limb said:
And you didn't read what I wrote. Steam will make this an automatic and transparent process to the end user. You'll log in to Steam, be greeted with a window that says, "Steam is updating. Please wait." and the update will be downloaded and installed in a matter of minutes.

As for having to recompile all the source code from scratch, unlikely. I am certain Valve took this into consideration when designing the Source engine and Steam platform. It will probably only require a small change to one of the executables that will take less than 10 minutes to compile then they'll put it on the network and there you go.

Doesn't Steam also automatically update the servers? I don't know.

There is a way to play steam games OFF of steam, online. Its using a sparate mini steam engine. Of course they can only join games hosted by people who were using the fake steam, unless they had proper files, which they didnt.Thats how a lot of people played the beta. Thats also my guess as to how they're playing this too.

Is your sympathy directed at the right group? Consumers pay for piracy in the same way consumers pay for shoplifting...

These ppl will get found out,slowly, but they will.

All a bunch of pricKs if u ask me lol

Thats the beauty of steam guys...

All valve have to do is release an update.. whether it be client or server (It doesnt even have to be big) and then the cracked version will not work on legitimate servers. And valve can make updates faster than people can be arsed to download the new cracked version.

Problem solved. :)

Edcrab said:
The entertainment industry as a whole loses an obscene amount of money every day; piracy is that widespread.

this bases on a wrong calculation, those money-mongers are tending to count each downloaded copy as a not selled game, which results in giant "losses", and those are the best arguments to convince the governments to create "unidirectional" laws (user-unfriendly / mm-friendly).

i don't think the gaming industry does "really" take heavy losses, it's more the movie-industry which suffers.
but, how many super-hyped movies in the last time seemed to be really worth the cinema-ticket(or the millions the studios invested)?.

producing bs and complaining, that noone wants to pay for it sounds quite stupid(this goes for movies, music as well games)

the same with hl2, a lot of people will warez it, but i believe, that most of them who are wanting the game really bad AND can afford it are going/will to buy a copy(from valve or vu, not from your local shoolyard :-] ).

The point is.... if you make a game nearly impossible to play online they will buy it! You can't stop piracy but you can inconvience the hell outta the pirates.

Personally, I hope Valve sues the crap outta a lot of these people. It's not like they can't. I heard the exploit basically revolves around a weakness in the way Steam auths you. The auth server doesn't ask the accounts server if you actually own the game you're trying to play. All they have to do is make it so that everytime someone tries to connect to a CS:S server without owning the game, it logs the time, and the IP.

Then, they get a lawyer, and use him and the DMCA (and equivalent legislation) to force the names and addresses of people illegally playing out of ISPs. Valve then sues these people.

Make an example out of them, I say.

Ok, I just read the first page, but here is my reply..

It'll all work out for valve. Just as HL2 will be the most warezed game ever, it'll also be the most bought game ever. It's a law of averages. It worked for The Sims and Sims 2, it'll sure as hell work for Half-Life 2. So don't worry about it.

Edge said:
That attitude is destroying the world
:thumbs:

sometimes it destroys, sometimes it saves the world.

hunting down those who have a illegal copy is dumb.

it's like arresting the guy who drinks the stolen beer and not the theft itself.

LeXo5 said:
How do get around this? 2 ways : (1) use proxys which are slow but will keep you safe or (2) don't do the crime in the first place :rolleyes:
I have been told that theres a program to help called peer guardian. methlabs.org :|

Darth Valium said:
sometimes it destroys, sometimes it saves the world.

hunting down those who have a illegal copy is dumb.

it's like arresting the guy who drinks the stolen beer and not the theft itself.

all these comments from people that have not read the thread... We are not saying chase anyone down... we are saying VALVe needs to counter the current hacks/cracks.

Mountain Man said:
And you didn't read what I wrote. Steam will make this an automatic and transparent process to the end user. You'll log in to Steam, be greeted with a window that says, "Steam is updating. Please wait." and the update will be downloaded and installed in a matter of minutes.

As for having to recompile all the source code from scratch, unlikely. I am certain Valve took this into consideration when designing the Source engine and Steam platform. It will probably only require a small change to one of the executables that will take less than 10 minutes to compile then they'll put it on the network and there you go.

Doesn't Steam also automatically update the servers? I don't know.

If they just put in a little variable and changed it, it wouldn't do anything, becuase its the same line of code being changed, thus making it useless since all they need to do is go in and disable that line of code. And I Still woudn't want to sit and let steam update everyday I play the game, its stupid. I didn't get steam to look at the nice update dialog. Its just to much work for something that would still end up getting bypassed anyway. A steam updates the servers on every map reset.. So you can see the issue here.. The update rolls around and you get the patch.. but the server you want to play on just started a new map, and didn't get the patch. You can't play on that server until the new map becuase it started a new map before the 'update' was released.

And you would have to recompile the entire HL2 executable which contains the engine. If they did it in the gameplay DLL's, it would be pointless since that goes out in the SDK...

It's just to much of a hassle, and I'm not gonna discuss it any further. Pirating has been here, is here, and will be here int he future. It's not going anywhere.

-Limb

Chadda said:
I would love just one cracker/hacker to get caught and end up in prison for 20 years. Would send a nice clear message to these parasites.

Their not parasites and don't really belong in jail .. computer nerd + jail = butt action (not nice!)

It'll die down after release i'm sure. VAC2 will come online and zap the in-game hacks, then Steam will ban a few hundred accounts\IPs and the problem will fall in to the background. You'll never squeeze this kinda thing out though, as someone said these guys are as good as the developers, only difference being that the developers sit in their office at Valve HQ and get paid to code :bonce:

Technically VALVe hasn't lost that much money because they were selling HL2 as the main product, not CS:S which was just a side component.

RussianEmpire said:
My frien does that he plays on crcked servers :eek:

lol.... yeah this was established well before your contribution he is asking you if you read because it is obvious you read the first post and then replied. He is insinuating you need to play catch up.

Crassus said:
Their not parasites and don't really belong in jail .. computer nerd + jail = butt action (not nice!)

It'll die down after release i'm sure. VAC2 will come online and zap the in-game hacks, then Steam will ban a few hundred accounts\IPs and the problem will fall in to the background. You'll never squeeze this kinda thing out though, as someone said these guys are as good as the developers, only difference being that the developers sit in their office at Valve HQ and get paid to code :bonce:

Actually they are starting to goto jail. Raz0r1911 for instance had their creator and founder goto jail, for quite a few years. This is happening, but they go after the big ones, and the sm,all ones don't seem to pay attention or understand that in the lonbg run they will end up in prision. It's not the end user thats screwing up its the distribution people who are getting the fines and the crackers orgs are getting jail time. It just takes a long long time to build substantial cases against the orgs. So while they think nothing is going on or going to be done about what they are doing. Understand that they investigated the founder of razor1911 for over 15 years, without him knowing, until finally bringing him in.

Edge said:
all these comments from people that have not read the thread... We are not saying chase anyone down... we are saying VALVe needs to counter the current hacks/cracks.

hm what? c'mon, ive read the whole thread. perhaps you didn't read the page 10, for example
Epsi said:
I hope Valve sues the crap outta a lot of these people

q.e.d

ps: "we" sounds very shizo, if you aren't the spokesman of an organisation/party/company.
edit & ps2: perhaps my fault, i've should have written a "@epsi" before the second statement.

Darth Valium said:
hm what? c'mon, ive read the whole thread. perhaps you didn't read the page 10, for example .

q.e.d

ps: "we" sounds very shizo, if you aren't the spokesman of an organisation/party/company.

Ok. We meaning the majority of the people in this thread. I wasn't aware we were explaining everything to the slower crowd my apologies.

jAkUpF said:
I just got this email from gabe!!! This is what I wrote:

Hi Gabe, my name is Jacob Freeman. I have wrote to you a few times in
the past, and I even shook your hand at E3 and got your autograph. I
now have it framed and I treat it like its my first born :) Anyways,
just a quick question...

I'm suprised you could get your lips away from Gabe's butt long enough to type that !!

hehe, only j/king!

You guys do realize that most of the people that d/led CS:S illegally are just kids that don't do much to protect themselves?

Edge said:
Ok. We meaning the majority of the people in this thread. I wasn't aware we were explaining everything to the slower crowd my apologies.

don't got the point here. am i to slow and should be now sort of p'o?

nah, "we" has a "bad taste",as long the majority doesn't say ".... is authorized to represent our oppinions/meanings/thinkings/blablaings".

Bingo - although 10 minutes is probably an exaggeration. In fact, if they're clever it need only be a server-side update (although clientside ones would be more efficient). You probably wouldn't even notice it.

They're going to wait until a decent number of people start using the cracked version before banning/uncracking it, just like they did with the CZ fraudsters, VAC and the CSS beta. If they carry on the cycle of waiting a while after each crack before taking the game away then even the worst of the internet's sewage will have to buy.

Darth Valium said:
don't got the point here. am i to slow and should be now sort of p'o?

nah, "we" has a "bad taste",as long the majority doesn't say ".... is authorized to represent our oppinions/meanings/thinkings/blablaings". as long no one did this, its should be "me".

Holy shit.. I nearly had an aneurysm reading that post.

Count up the people who think it needs to be fixed over the people who are here saying VALVe should sue someone. Yeah.. I am correct WE are here to encourage VALVe to fix these issues ASAP.

Why is it that just because someone downloads warez everyone thinks they all wont buy it. Obviously have no idea about the scene.

duke2 said:
Infact, they didn't loose anything. These people can't play online.

that is exactley what plays in valves favour, although doesnt stop them from playing lan games :hmph: .

Back