was the delay a blessing in disguise?

Maybe its Vivendi's fault? lol
But seriously, the only reason I can think that they waited til now to tell us was that they didnt know themselves until recently.
Do I care why it's delayed? not really...
I trust they had to delay it for a decent reason.
Do I care if I have to wait a bit for the game? not really...
It's going to be a great game. Less chance of a buggy game compared to a pressured 30th release. More time to upgrade my GF2 and better deals to choose from. ;)
Do I care that they waited to tell us? not really...
Just because I don't know why they waited or even delayed it, doesn't mean I will suddenly bad mouth Valve. Ill give them the benefit of the doubt.

You're WRONG.

They obviously delayed the game to make it worse.

My only real complaint is that they wait until six months ago to annoucne the game after keeping it secret for years and then set a date they could not keep. I wish they would not have announced the game until they were sure they could keep a release date.

Dubya says it's Saddam's fault.
Jerry Falwell says it's because we have godless sinners in this country.

I blame it on the bossanova.

Originally posted by scribblehead
no i think it was just delayed because of quarrels with vivendi/nvidia/STEAM....

I'm pretty sure the game has been bug free for some time now, since they've almost been playtesting for 3-4 months now....(insane)!!

I really don't think they've been playtesting everything for that long. Valve wasn't done building content in May, which was only four months ago...the game still might not be completable start to finish.

Personally, I think the real delay reson, is actually three.

1) Nvidia. They made crap hardware that isnt fully DX 9, so Valve has to spend 5x longer writing a code path for it.

2) Steam, now although i have been beta testing Steam since its inicial beta, I have to say that the 'final' release is one of the most bugged they have ever made, even in the betas.....

3) Multiplayer, this I think, is the biggy. Imagine all the workload you have to do to make sure both on the server, and the player's end, that the physics act exactly the same, on ALL players PCs aswell......its a huge undertaking.

Im a bit miffed that they said only a few weeks ago that it was still the 30th, then hae come accross something SO big, they have to work on it for 2 months....now in developing games, this does happen, but still........it would be nice for them to even say, "We found a critical bug, that needs to be fixed - we hope u guys understand". Even something like that would justify waiting 2 months.

Oh well, it will be worth the wait anyways.

Just doesn't seem feasible that they would have a game in production that long to come out of the blue and announce its release only months down the road to come across some severe bug.

Or maybe they knew they had more work to do then they could get done in time, but couldn't admit it to us or themselves?

Here's the real reason...

ATi: Hey! Not enough gamers have upgraded to our cards since we showed em how much they pwn Nvidia in HL2! If you release it now, a lot of them will just stick to their old Nvidia cards! Quick, delay HL2 so more ppl will buy Radeons!

Valve: Well, what's in it for us?

ATi: *slips money under table*

Valve: Most excellent.... Time to make an announcement!

Maybe they found some pretty bad bugs but can still release the game before the holidays (possibly October), but wanted to be sure to give themselves plenty of time, seeing what happened with their last release date..

Back