WASH POST: New Iraqi torture photos.

DarkStar

Tank
Reaction score
Click on the photo gallery on the right side of the page: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43783-2004May20.html

When will this end? The Pentagon just needs to release all the photos they have at once. Having them trickle out one at a time is making the situation about 1000 times worse. All it does is keep the story in the news and make the DOD look like they're hiding something. My God.

****ing hell the media need to stop releasing these photo's, its only hurting america's efforts more. The thing i don't get is that the entire world is appaulled when these things are released but not when Iraqi terrorists kill 4 american civilians, burn their bodies, mutilate them, and then string them up for all of Iraq to see. Why doesnt the media focus on something like that?

Al-Qaida can use this kinda shit for propaganda anyway.

Sparta said:
****ing hell the media need to stop releasing these photo's, its only hurting america's efforts more. The thing i don't get is that the entire world is appaulled when these things are released but not when Iraqi terrorists kill 4 american civilians, burn their bodies, mutilate them, and then string them up for all of Iraq to see. Why doesnt the media focus on something like that?

Obviously you havent seen American prison beatings. Its the same exact thing except they can cover it up a lot easier and it happens ALL of the time.

American's don't kill random people off the street without reason.
I don't condone what America has done, but what the terrorists are doing and will continue doing until long after i die, is by far, worse then any prison beating America or any allied country can dish out

Sparta said:
American's don't kill random people off the street without reason.
I don't condone what America has done, but what the terrorists are doing and will continue doing until long after i die, is by far, worse then any prison beating America or any allied country can dish out

there are more americans beign killed on the streets of america for no reason then there are in the middle east. maybe you should look at that too

Revisedsoul said:
there are more americans beign killed on the streets of america for no reason then there are in the middle east. maybe you should look at that too

But thats totally irrelevant.

The argument is ,that while America shouldn't have tortured those prisoners, Terrorists are commiting more and more horrible acts against people who haven't done anything wrong in the first place. 9/11, Bali, The Spainish train bombing ALL of those acts were against innocent people, women, children, the elderly. Were are the acts america commited were against people who (in most certainty) have done worse things to their fellow countrymen.

Sparta said:

You are sick.

America killed over 10,000 Iraqis in this war, and you wonder why we don't care about 4 Americans who work with the military?

I will tell you what, your crimes are small mistakes, ours are horroble acts of inhumanity and barbarity.

The worst part is that what really concerns you is the photos, not what's in them.

When Berg was killed, people called for nukes, but when Iraqis are killed, people call for the media to stop exposing your atrocities.

Sparta said:
The thing i don't get is that the entire world is appaulled when these things are released but not when Iraqi terrorists kill 4 american civilians, burn their bodies, mutilate them, and then string them up for all of Iraq to see. Why doesnt the media focus on something like that?

Those were NOT innocent civilians. They were armed military contractors. Back in the day they were simply called mercenaries.

Also, I remember that story being in the news for several days. It's not like the media covered it up.

In response to hasan:
Dude i didn't condone what they did. If you read my post above you would know that.
And I'm not American, I'm Australian. I have never and will never condone violence at any length. And i hated it when our prime minister decided to go to war just to strengthen our (or his) relationship with America. The problem here is this is the exact kind of thing that can fire up militants and get more people killed. And NO ONE wants that. Thats why i don't think the media should be showing these pictures

Also how can you say our atrocities? Thats like slotting every single German that was alive during WW2 into the "Nazi" category. I may live in an "allied" country but i didn't want to go to war beause Bush wanted to finish what his Dad had started

DarkStar said:
Those were NOT innocent civilians. They were armed military contractors. Back in the day they were simply called mercenaries.

Also, I remember that story being in the news for several days. It's not like the media covered it up.

Ok Military Contractors then. The only time i ever heard about that story was on my OptusNet homepage. I never heard it on the local news or anything. My mistake

It's a lose lose situation.

With-hold the pictures and it looks like a cover up. Inciting more violence against the U.S

Release the pictures and it creates more rage and hatred. Inciting more violence against the U.S.

Situation normal , all ****ed up.

On the contrary, publishing these photos might help stop future abuses.
As for firing up militians and getting people killed, heh, well .. It's not like they didn't know about this before. Personally I've known about this stuff for a long time, even before the photos were released.

Sparta said:
Ok Military Contractors then. The only time i ever heard about that story was on my OptusNet homepage. I never heard it on the local news or anything. My mistake

by saying that you put out the reasoning that your getting your information and judging it based on the first thing you read

Whether or not its based on the first thing i read doesnt matter. There's still a possibility that these photo's being publish could result in more people being harmed. All it does is give them another excuse to kill people.

And yea, Mr Fusion you're right, if the photo's are with-held it looks like a cover-up so that means it must be happening. Its a lose-lose situation.

well it does matter because then you opion is bias and illinformed

and what should they do then, not let the world find out their toturing prisioners in more than just one place?

mr-fusion said it right, its going to be ****ed up reguardless

How could my opinion be bias if my opinion is that i don't want anyone to get hurt? Illinformed yes, but not bias

[Edit] Fixed up all those silly spelling mistakes

Mr-Fusion said:
It's a lose lose situation.

With-hold the pictures and it looks like a cover up. Inciting more violence against the U.S

Release the pictures and it creates more rage and hatred. Inciting more violence against the U.S.

Situation normal , all ****ed up.

I'd say it would be better to release all the picture they have now, rather then have them leak out a few at a time. Its not like the world doesn't know what happened in the prison already, just release the photos and get it out of the news as fast as possible. This slow trickle of photos is just excruiciating.

DarkStar said:
I'd say it would be better to release all the picture they have now, rather then have them leak out a few at a time. Its not like the world doesn't know what happened in the prison already, just release the photos and get it out of the news as fast as possible. This slow trickle of photos is just excruiciating.

Good point. I just hope there isn't another Nick Berg after this round of photos

Sparta said:
How could my opinion be bias if my opinion is that i don't want anyone to get hurt? Illinformed yes, but not bias

[Edit] Fixed up all those silly spelling mistakes

so how is hiding the act of the american soldiers on iraqies going to stop it from acutally happening unless its brought to mainstream attention, how ever poluted that is. the governmnet usually wont stop doing something wrong or end the wrong doing untill people know about it. and by hiding the pictures, its just making viewers ignorant that nothing bad is happening

Chances are the government is still going to do this, except this time, They won't be stupid enough to take photos of it. Releasing more photo's will do nothing but make people aware and incite more hatred towards the US.

They're doing the exact same thing at Guantanamo Bay and just last night on Channel 7 here in Australia they interviewed a man who say prisoners being tortured. Thats only made us aware of it. But that won't do anything at all to stop it.

I'm happy those soldiers are going to get what they deserve. But im not gonna be happy when another head gets chopped off because of it

Sparta said:
Chances are the government is still going to do this, except this time, They won't be stupid enough to take photos of it. Releasing more photo's will do nothing but make people aware and incite more hatred towards the US

so basicly you only care that there is less harted towards the us for actions that deserve hatred. and by doing so hide the fact so the us can get away with it

that has got to be the stupidist thing ive heard for quite some time

No what im saying, is that releasing the photo's is going to have nothing other then negative effects for everyone. The US will keep doing it, just hiding it up more carefully, Terrorists can use these photos already as an excuse, and more people are going to die because of it. I'm glad the original photo's got leaked but im not glad there's going to be more leaked photos of what we already know is going on. And im definately not f*cking happy terrorists can use these new photos as another excuse to kill another Nick Berg

because of the foolish acts of a few more will get hurt, its life and its war man. get used to it. either get out there and fight for a TRUE cause, or sit back and watch it fold apon itself. but either way bitching about it isnt worth the time or effort.

no more stupid propaganda/government. war talk for me

Revisedsoul said:
because of the foolish acts of a few more will get hurt, its life and its war man. get used to it. either get out there and fight for a TRUE cause, or sit back and watch it fold apon itself. but either way bitching about it isnt worth the time or effort.

So you're saying its alright to release more photo's even if it means somebody else dies? Just so people get more photo's about something that they already know?

THAT'S thats the stupidest thing i've heard in quite some time

Double post, my bad. Feel free to delete this mods

Revisedsoul said:

dude, your an idiot. dont ever tell someone to fight for a cause they dont believe in. sparta is right. they shouldnt release photos jsut to keep the press happy.
by reading your opinions ive come to the conclusion that you think the ends justify the means. you think its ok that another guy gets killed by terrorists, as long as the US population knows whats going on in a country they dont give a damn about

So you're saying its alright to release more photo's even if it means somebody else dies?
Yes, becuse most people in the prisons are innocent normal people, not fighters. If this "somebody else" you are referring to is an invader, then yes, I'd rather protect innocent people than protect military people.

Two wrongs don't make a right Hasan. Haven't you heard that saying "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"?

Sparta said:
Two wrongs don't make a right Hasan. Haven't you heard that saying "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"?
No, but I've heared about something called "Justice", ever heard of it Sparta?

Yeah, and justice doesnt involve killing innocent people like Nick Berg just because he happens to be a foreigner. Or even that australian that was killed by terrorists in Syria for no reason at all, other then he was a foreigner.

And yeah i know justice wasn't done when they bombed Iraq, but nothing and i mean NOTHING warrants another persons death other then self-defense. And nothing the terrorists have done has been self-defense. Just cold-blooded and brutal murder.

How many minutes did it take to cut off Nick Berg's head?

Sparta said:
Yeah, and justice doesnt involve killing innocent people like Nick Berg just because he happens to be a foreigner.
?

Did I say it's ok to kill anyone who happens to be a foreigner??!

if you read my post again ..
this "somebody else" you are referring to is an invader

Part of Justice is to tell the truth even if it's against yourself.
i.e. Even if releasing the photos will make you look bad ..

hasan said:
?

Did I say it's ok to kill anyone who happens to be a foreigner??!

if you read my post again ..

Part of Justice is to tell the truth even if it's against yourself.
i.e. Even if releasing the photos will make you look bad ..

so by releasing the photos they are fulfilling the needs of the people. so your saying the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. thats bullshit

stocky021 said:
so by releasing the photos they are fulfilling the needs of the people. so your saying the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. thats bullshit

try to reword that because it doesn't make sense / not related to what I am talking about.

NOTHING warrants another persons death other then self-defense. And nothing the terrorists have done has been self-defense. Just cold-blooded and brutal murder.
wait wait .. let me get this straight becuase what you are saying isn't very clear.
are you saying that what the Americans are doing is always in self-defense? and what the " Terrorists " are doing is always not self-defense?

Ok then, do those photo's then warrant an "invader" to have their head cut off even if that "invader" just happens to have a low-level job such as a clerk? All he/she does is file papers all day behind a desk but that person just happens to be in uniform?

Or what about those 4 military contractors? I looked it up just know and read that their job was to protect.....to protect food shipments and supplies....

You and I have very very different views of justice

Sparta said:
Ok then, do those photo's then warrant an "invader" to have their head cut off even if that "invader" just happens to have a low-level job such as a clerk? All he/she does is file papers all day behind a desk but that person just happens to be in uniform?

Or what about those 4 military contractors? I looked it up just know and read that their job was to protect.....to protect food shipments and supplies....

You and I have very very different views of justice

ok, what if that invader happens to be a high level profile? Is he innocent?

and about the 4 contractors, I don't think anyone condoned the mutilation of thier bodies. I didn't like what happened to them, not because it made us look bad, but because it's just wrong.

Justice is Justice, it's not subject to somebody's views. Maybe I got some ideas wrong, but that doesn't mean I have my own view of justice, it just means I have a wrong view.
Jusitce is universal and not subject to opinions.

Sparta said:

Al-qaida doesn't exist.

America's efforts? For what?

And why would Iraqi civilians do that? Because they are a blood thursty people.

Oh no wait, they're not, maybe it's because the US is ****ing everything up in their country.

If there is anyone here who is influenced by propagande, then it's you. "But dont make a mistake..."

Back