Weekly Steam News (12/08/05)

If the price is reasonable I'll get it.
Yet another reason why I <3 steam.

.bog.

Yes, go play CS or something.

edit:
you should all see the other movies on the site ;D

That people would find another CS skin more interesting than this quirky, innovative little game is pretty depressing tbh.

WritingARequiem said:
Pricing? This "game" is going to cost money? If it's over 10 dollars, forget it. But no final judgements until I see the game and hear reviews from the community.

If it's over $0, forget it.

I'm cheap that way :)

Noobulon said:
That people would find another CS skin more interesting than this quirky, innovative little game is pretty depressing tbh.

Both the demand and creation of innovation is dying. :(

Noobulon said:

Amen to that, brother! ;D

SimonomiS said:
Both the demand and creation of innovation is dying. :(

The entire gaming industry is dying, that's most likely the reason why Gabe wants to push this game thru Steam.

Para said:
The entire gaming industry is dying, that's most likely the reason why Gabe wants to push this game thru Steam.
Bingo. Don't underestimate the importance of this release.

Chris D you dirty ol' haxxor, look what you've done! You do realise this is a place holder for a 'normal' Steam News put in place just for that purpose?

;)
Haven't got chance to watch the vid but RDKWTF should be a right larf.

Noobulon said:
My thoughts exactly.

Hi!
I just wanted to say that I am a beta tester for this game and I must say that this is a wonderful game.

Check out my website with stuff I've made for RDKF (nothing official, only custom content):

http://mrninya.rens2sea.com

mrNinya said:
Hi!
I just wanted to say that I am a beta tester for this game and I must say that this is a wonderful game.

Check out my website with stuff I've made for RDKF (nothing official, only custom content):

http://mrninya.rens2sea.com
Some of that stuff is really good. Is it hard to skin for this game? It is 2D, but still, I wonder. I hope you will be able to see other created skins of the ones you're fighting. Like each player downloads his or her opponent's skin, and Vica Verca(or however you spell that crazy phrase)

Another cool Idea would be more than just 2 people. It could get crazy, but who knows.
I'm going to wait until I hear some reviews before I buy this game, reviews from the community, though. And there is a difference between paying 0$ and 1$. The latter requires you to give up a credit card, which I don't have, and I'd have to borrow, and I'd have to trust the Source, which I basically already do.

But just because someone doesn't like this idea for a game and would prefer something they'd like better, doesn't make them bad people and certainly doesn't mean they're the cause of the slow death of the video game industry.

Arrowhead said:
at first, I thought this update had to be an april fools joke. but then I realized that it's august 12th.... sigh. :rolleyes:

lol :naughty:

Para said:
The entire gaming industry is dying (...).

Right now I see millions of dollars being invested in the gaming industry, it certainly doesn't look like if it was dying.

No its not about the games anymore its all about the money!!!
Gamers are never happy when they see original games and thats why we never see original games like this because they dont sell.

Unfocused said:
Right now I see millions of dollars being invested in the gaming industry, it certainly doesn't look like if it was dying.
I'm with you, but then again, I'm uninformed. The only thing I know is I haven't bought a game since HL2, and nothing is really popping out at me. Even during the busy holiday season, games seem very similar. Graphics are the only thing really getting upgraded, while innovaion and new tech...aren't. Most FPS's these days follow the same pattern. Though, I, myself can't think of anything better, then again I'm not into the creating of games.

I'm not excited at all by this game. I want some real news.

I want Lost Coast, Aftermath, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. , DOD:Source, Getaway PS3 now!!!

Betelgeuze said:
No its not about the games anymore its all about the money!!! Gamers are never happy when they see original games and thats why we never see original games like this because they dont sell.

Thats about the size of it :( The games industry doesn't like to take chances. Same as the movie industry. 1 studio remakes an old TV series & it does well at the box office. Now every piece of shit TV show from the 70's & 80's is being remade!!! they're really scraping the barrel with the Dukes of Hazard. The TV show was only any good when you was sitting eating your fish & chips Saturday evening! yuo nkow the film is going to be crap!!

WritingARequiem said:
The only thing I know is I haven't bought a game since HL2, and nothing is really popping out at me. Even during the busy holiday season, games seem very similar. Graphics are the only thing really getting upgraded, while innovaion and new tech...aren't. Most FPS's these days follow the same pattern. Though, I, myself can't think of anything better, then again I'm not into the creating of games.

FPS is my favourite genre at the moment. I love the simplicity of the gameplay (point & shoot with mouse, move with arrow keys etc.) & the fact that the graphics tend to represent the best that in game graphics have to offer. That's all good but there has to be a game there as well. To often FPS's end up being quite generic. I think thats the reason HL2 stands out so much. I love HL2 but I've never thought it justified the hype. It's just to easy & not a challenge & a game that doesn't challenge is not much of a game at the end of the day. Hats of to Valve for trying to move the genre on though. HL2 breaks the mould which is why I think it stands out as such a great game. There's room for improvement though.

supporting a small "independent" project like this seems to be one of the main goals for steam from valve. im glad theyre actually able to do it. im looking forward to seeing more from this game as well as any others that valve distributes through steam.

dumba55 music.....wierd looking gameplay...id play it if it was free, no way would I spend $$ on it

What's wrong with you people?

Just because it isn't an FPS doesn't mean it'll suck. Good God try something new.

WritingARequiem said:
Some of that stuff is really good. Is it hard to skin for this game? It is 2D, but still, I wonder. I hope you will be able to see other created skins of the ones you're fighting. Like each player downloads his or her opponent's skin, and Vica Verca(or however you spell that crazy phrase)

Another cool Idea would be more than just 2 people. It could get crazy, but who knows.
I'm going to wait until I hear some reviews before I buy this game, reviews from the community, though. And there is a difference between paying 0$ and 1$. The latter requires you to give up a credit card, which I don't have, and I'd have to borrow, and I'd have to trust the Source, which I basically already do.

But just because someone doesn't like this idea for a game and would prefer something they'd like better, doesn't make them bad people and certainly doesn't mean they're the cause of the slow death of the video game industry.
The game supports up to 8 players in multiplayer (both in LAN/Internet play and on a local machine with up to 8 USB mices pluged in).
And yes, the skins get transfered online and simple and smooth to get your own skins in the game.

http://mrninya.rens2sea.com/skinfile\mime.png - Here you see an example of how a skinfile looks like, as you can see, very simple. (I made that skin ^^)

You can also select from a bunch of parts from in the game and put together if you dont feel like drawing your own.

Oh, and there is also a upcomming map editor for the game that will be very cool and pretty simple to use.

Other cool features:

Story mode - A bunch of diffrent levels with cut-scenes between them. (About 20 minutes of cutscene fotage)
Many other singeplayer modes, such as Ninja Onslaught and Shaolin Soccer.
A nice little Movie maker.
Lots of cool weapons.
Nice special attacks.

... and alot more.

In short, this is a awsome game.

Some movies that I've made in RDKF:

http://www.filefarmer.com/mrNinya/files/rdkf_mario_madness.avi
http://www.filefarmer.com/mrNinya/files/rdkf_michael_jackson.avi
http://www.filefarmer.com/mrNinya/files/rdkf_eye_of_the_tiger.wmv

A movie showing a little bit of the multiplayer: http://www.filefarmer.com/mrNinya/online_beta.wmv - Its me vs Mark Healey (the guy behind the game). I use my trusty David Hasselhoff skin. ^^

It might not be everyones cup of tea,but bloody hell I think this looks great,the micheal jackson video sold it to me,very funny.Great moonwalk mrNinya:).Its good to see valve using steam to realease these quirky little games,rather than another FPS.Well done valve have a beer on me:cheers:

I think im going to buy it! It realy looks fun.

This could be the first game of a new genre; PG (physics games)? RG (ragdoll game)?

Betelgeuze said:
I think im going to buy it! It realy looks fun.

This could be the first game of a new genre; PG (physics games)? RG (ragdoll game)?
How about TGTLPCBIMNBAICUTBBISGTGI?
That game that looks pretty cool but it might not be all it's cracked up to be, but I'm still going to get it.
Or RG...
Either way, looks pretty fun. THe skins seam pretty limitless, and everyone can make one, so they'll all be unique. THat's the feature I'm looking forward to most.

WritingARequiem said:
How about TGTLPCBIMNBAICUTBBISGTGI?
That game that looks pretty cool but it might not be all it's cracked up to be, but I'm still going to get it.
Or RG...
Either way, looks pretty fun. THe skins seam pretty limitless, and everyone can make one, so they'll all be unique. THat's the feature I'm looking forward to most.
Ya, its very hot.

Cough - http://mrninya.rens2sea.com/skins.html - cough...
All the skins I've made. ;)

WritingARequiem said:
How'd you get that blue glowing on your Mystic skin? Is it hard> Or automatic, or what?
When you spin your mouse cursor in the game you gain chi power and the more chi power you got, the more your character glows.
The chi-power is used to power up attacks and jumping.

It really is a beutiful game. You can really tell that it is a true artist behind it. ^^

mrNinya said:
When you spin your mouse cursor in the game you gain chi power and the more chi power you got, the more your character glows.
The chi-power is used to power up attacks and jumping.
I can only boost my own prominence so many times.

Go me.

The game looks pretty cool and funny, too bad I don't have a creditcard, and nobody I know has one.
@mrNinya - Those skins look cool, I especially like the David Hasselhoff, hehe. You know, you should make a Gordon or Combine skin, I would like to see that ^^

I ran across the "rdkfskintest" thing and decided I should try my hand at a quick hack-job of a HL2 model... since Valve are going to be hosting it on Steam.

The result?

gman6fz.jpg
breen5qb.jpg

kleiner6wd.jpg
police8ru.jpg

EDIT3: Halved G-Man image, added Kleiner, added police, switched from URL to IMG tags, added Breen.

OCybrManO said:
I ran across the "rdkfskintest" thing and decided I should try my hand at a quick hack-job of a HL2 model... since Valve are going to be hosting it on Steam.

The result?

G-Man

EDIT: There are still some little things that need to be worked on...
Heh, that's pretty cool. Someone should make all the Half-Life characters.

It looks like a pretty good game, I've been following it for a while but wondered what happened to it, it just sort of disappeared and now it's turned up again. I'm still not convinced it's actually worth money though...and if it is I'll just be saving it for something else.

Back