Weekly Steam News (12/08/05)

But to be able to play a mod, you have to buy the original game first.
I think that's what's the diffrence between selling RDKF and selling a mod here.

Anybody that has owns HL2 has Steam, therefore Valve *could* charge for HL2 Mods through Steam.

Again, I'm not saying it's going to happen, but hey, if I were Valve I'd be considering it. More profit in the basket and more incentive for good mods to be made by the modding community since they'd be getting cash too.

DanteZone said:
If a Modder takes years to make a Mod, which some do, what's stopping them in the future from charging?
Usually, EULAs for the original game prevent them from selling mods.

But suppose the EULA didn't prohibit it. Personally, I would see nothing wrong with charging for a mod. If someone feels there is a market for their product and that consumers would be willing to pay the asking price then more power to them. That's the beauty of a free market.

I also reject the notion that charging for one's work is inherently greedy or selfish. Developing a game because you love games and charging for your work are not mutually exclusive. It's absurd to expect someone not to seek compensation for his time just because he enjoys his work.

Looks pretty cool. Simple, but cool. Seems like the kinda thing that me and a friend could spend hours just playing around with. I really don't understand what people are so upset about. Whining won't make Aftermath and DoD release faster.

And to anyone who says its feasible to charge for mods, think about this: Do you really think your average Joe (ahem) is gonna pay for some random files some school kids put together in there spare time? Normies are already suspiscious/ignorant of the mod scene, when you add a price, no matter how small, you pretty much kill the majority of people's incentive to try a mod out.

Again, if Valve are onboard with selling good Mods via Steam, nothing can stop them.

Back