Weekly Steam News (15/04/04)

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This week's Steam News update has been released over Steam and if you restart your client now you will see the following message:
We hope everyone is enjoying the Half-Life 2: Deathmatch contest winning maps that were released earlier this week.[br] The next big Counter-Strike release is set to include two maps. The first map will be de_port, previously mentioned here. This map is set in a resupply port for outgoing ships. The gameplay is designed for a balanced layout employing a mix of long sightlines with cover and close quarters fighting environments. The second map will be a completely redone de_inferno, a historical favorite at CS tournaments and competions. We'll be releasing some screenshots or other media from both of these maps in the next week or two.[br]We also promised a sneak peek into work on Half-Life 2: Aftermath. Here is a shot from that, the continuation of Gordon Freeman’s adventures that we'll be releasing as an episode later this summer.[br]

If you haven't receieved the pop-up from Steam then you can get it from its original source here.

Why do i get the feeling those 3 maps where the last thing valve is going to change to DM? :(

A continuation of gordon's adventures huh. So a Half-Life 2.1 gheh, cool. Guess its about the resistance destroying the rest of the tower or something.

Because you're a pessimist?

YAY to Valve
were going to fight those Stalkers YAY
and Inferno its about time....^^. I bet port will rock da hood pretty goood^^

Oh My God We'll Play As Gordon Freeman In Aftermath?????????????? Jeeeeeezzzzzzzzuuuuuuussssssssss!

im Kinda disapointed thoe its only a pic....I thought they where gonna tell us something about Aftermath

Valve last week said:
Also next week, we'll have a small sneak peak for you of the upcoming Half-Life 2 episode "Aftermath".
"Sneak peak" usually indicates a picture.

OMFG!!!!!!! :D

This is like finding out about HL2 being in production. I'm all exited again! :D

-Alix

And still now VAC2 :( Oh well, next week i'll hope for its release like I hoped for its release this week.

haha...I'd barely call that a screenshot let alone 'sneak peak'! :p I'm really glad it's a continuation though...

I find it very strange how I barely play CSS but I got so excited by the description of de_port! :D

wish valve would make a RSS feed for that marketing news.

Anyways, screenshot looks great, maps sound great

somewhat of a let down valve , 1 picture showing sweet fa well done

Hope it's spooky, as it's screenshot depicts.

wow, if any mod posted a screenshot like that they would be flamed to hell and back. Now, obviously thats because we trust valve more than a couple of random guys, but common, you coulda done more. and that pic could have been replaced with the text: "fightable stalkers" seriously....w/e, since this is only through steam, i hope it doesnt have anything to do with the storyline, i probably wont get it =\

russ_uk said:
somewhat of a let down valve , 1 picture showing sweet fa well done

ha, glad you signed up to say just that!

I don't think that's an 'action' shot shown, otherwise surely the combine soldier would be attacking?

GonzoBabbleshit said:
ha, glad you signed up to say just that!

I don't think that's an 'action' shot shown, otherwise surely the combine soldier would be attacking?
i was a member before i changed isp ,and for some reason i could no longer log in .
as for the pic you would have expected more from valve :hmph:

Lazy_Moron said:
And still now VAC2 :( Oh well, next week i'll hope for its release like I hoped for its release this week.

If I'm not mistaken, VAC2 has been active for well over a week now.

Deleter said:
wow, if any mod posted a screenshot like that they would be flamed to hell and back. Now, obviously thats because we trust valve more than a couple of random guys, but common, you coulda done more. and that pic could have been replaced with the text: "fightable stalkers" seriously....w/e, since this is only through steam, i hope it doesnt have anything to do with the storyline, i probably wont get it =\

What the hell are you babbling about? Of course it has something to do with the storyline - it's obvious Gordon is in the Citadel. :farmer:

And did you HONESTLY expect Valve to give us something more than a teaser?

And did you HONESTLY expect Valve to give us something more than a teaser?

Yes, you can find similar scenes near the end of the citadel, with the combine watching over the stalker.

But I guess it's kinda cool. :)

Glad to hear they are going to bring over inferno and can't wait for de_port

Yea VAC2 beta has already begun... They just didn't announce it or else the cheaters would know, they give the cheaters a week warning, and if they didn't stop it's there fault ;)

The combine has orange eyes.... think it means anything?

SFLUFAN said:

I pretty sure its just in Beta phase. It actually didnt take effect yet, did it? God im so confused!!!

Im not enjoying the new maps.... dm_underpass is buggy or something. It crashes servers like a bitch. Looked at the steam forum, and lots of people are having the same problem. more CSS maps = better. :D
I REALLY hope vavle fixes hl2dm, right now, it's buggier than Halo 2.

Aftermath sounds good, But think about this, Since the gman put you in storage dont you think maybe the expansion might be set a little bit farther in the future? Maybe like 5-10 years later? Who knows. Cant wait for it. Oh, and russ dont be saying that the pic was a let down. Its better then nothing!

lonefox said:
The combine has orange eyes.... think it means anything?
He looks friendly, sad almost... :) Human metrocop i recon. Possibly Barney again... but whats that behind him?

Well the new screen doesn't really reveal much of anything. In fact it could have been taken in the second last level somewhere. :)

Not that I'm complaining or anything. I hope they keep most of the expansion under wraps. The release date of only a few months is awsome in itself (even if it is Valve).

de_inferno!
de_port!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!

SFLUFAN said:
Yes, a couple of weeks ago, Valve announced that they would start implementing VAC and that that would be the last announcement. If you check your profile through Steam, you should see something like "VAC status: In Good Standing" or some such.

Umm... did anyone get a huge CSS update with this? Port Preload or something?

Mine seemed to download something pretty large..

Vac 2 is anti-cheating program, yes? Well if it has been realeased its not working very well, all i see is hackers. Everywhere i play, im go play against some artifical intelligence. Too many hackers around to have fun. :frown:

oldagerocker said:
He looks friendly, sad almost... :) Human metrocop i recon. Possibly Barney again... but whats that behind him?

It's a stalker... Didn't you beat HL2 and see those walking around in the last chapter?

Mopar33l:: The system is more or less "taking notes" as VAC2 is beta still... They are collecting data to make sure taht nobody will wrongfully get banned. The system is active and watching hackers, but it's not banning anyone yet. Soon enough though, soon enough.

Liam: Have you updated the other CSS updates before this? I didn't notice anything.

Iced_Eagle said:
Liam: Have you updated the other CSS updates before this? I didn't notice anything.

Yeah, I was 100% updated, I was playing CSS fine only 10 minutes before.

Restarted steam, noticed steam news, went to start CSS again and it's been downloading something at 1.5Mb/s (4mb connection) for quite a while now...

Still.. probably just steam being random again...

Mopar33l said:
Vac 2 is anti-cheating program, yes? Well if it has been realeased its not working very well, all i see is hackers. Everywhere i play, im go play against some artifical intelligence. Too many hackers around to have fun. :frown:

Yeah, im pretty sure its still in BETA then. If you filter out servers for secure, there are no servers. Isnt there also an option that allow you to to put it on your server or not? Plus, im sure Valve would of made an annoucment a couple days after they released it saying yes it is out, hackers you are F**ked :E

Well as someone said the orange eyes stood out to me, Maybe to escape Gordon is dressed as a combine or he has become a combine soldier but retained his mind?

Back