Were you right or wrong about multiplayer?

Were you right or wrong about multiplayer?

• I was right. Give me a cookie.

Votes: 78 36.6%
  • I was wrong. Give me a slap.

Votes: 135 63.4%

• Total voters
ElFuhrer said:
Well, at least we get CS:S. It may be old, but it doesn't blow like Doom 3 and Far Cry's multiplayer.
Good point.

Fry Cry had such great MP potential too.. but both FarCry and Doom3 have laggy and crappy MP.

phantomdesign said:
Just a theory...
What if...the review copy the magazine received did not have HL2's multiplayer on purpose. As in, Valve didn't want to give away what was so secret about HL2's multiplayer, so they didn't let the magazines get a look at it.

not to be rude, but i think VALVe made it pretty clear that CS:S was the only mp. ppl just didn't want to believe it.
seems they still don't want to believe it.

Neutrino said:
How?

They've pretty much said or implied all along that CS:S was the multiplayer. Gabe said it at E3, Cliffe said it in a CS nation interview, and I remember someone else said something about it. Think it was Doug maybe.

The Source engine contains support for multiplayer gaming, and Valve
plans to release several multiplayer games at the time HL2 is made
available. We've announced Counter-Strike: Source. We will be more
releasing information on the other games and how they will be made
available to gamers in the coming weeks.

The Source engine contains support for multiplayer gaming, and Valve
plans to release several multiplayer games at the time HL2 is made
available. This week we've announced Counter-Strike: Source. We will be
more releasing information on the other games and how they will be made
available to gamers in the coming weeks.

From the valve crew at E3:
Yes, CS source has ragdoll.
No, the SDK hasn't been released to "select mod teams" at E3.
When asked if CS would be the ONLY multiplayer for HL2, gabe told me that they would port over EVERYTHING (hl deathmatch, deathmatch classic, dod, cs, etc. Don't know if this includes ricochet, or tfc/tf2)

Hello there,
Will there be a Deathmatch Classic:Source?
"That's the plan."

Gabe can you comment at all on the mutliplayer yet? Will Counter-Strike:Source be included?
"CSS will be included in HL2 multiplayer, for the rest you will have to wait and see."

So they didn't tell us it was counterstrike source because they didn't want us to get hyped up? Look at his words RIGHT THERE! "That is the plan" Why would he say that if that "wasn't" the plan. You use your words, im using direct quotes. I even posted my sources. There is absolutely no reason why they couldn't tell us. "for the rest you will have to wait and see." The rest, plural not singular.

Wrong, and bitterly dissapointed. Now we'll have to have a third-party mod which will never be as popular.

No Multiplayer Manipulator Madness...;(

Varsity said:
Wrong, and bitterly dissapointed. Now we'll have to have a third-party mod which will never be as popular.

No Multiplayer Manipulator Madness...;(

Varsity i understand what u are saying along with many other pple in this thread.. and u would think 9 pages of this discussion would help interpreting the bitter disappointment and the idea of dealing with 4-5 third party mods inserted as HL2's official MP would clear things up..

but apparently not.

PvtRyan said:
I was never really sure tbh, but I leaned mostly to the 'CS:S is MP' side with a slight hope for a HL2 themed MP.

Dido. I can live with CS:S tho.

I was wrong. However I will not fully admit to it until I have the game in my hands and read the "multiplayer not supported" statement. Lol, that would be funny to read on the back of a box.

john41 said:
I was wrong. However I will not fully admit to it until I have the game in my hands and read the "multiplayer not supported" statement. Lol, that would be funny to read on the back of a box.

*Multiplayer NOT included

*=tissue included

I was wrong, and Neutrino was right. We had a debate a few months back in a thread with many others and that's where his sig comes from hehe.

haha, this amusing as i remember from the e3 video that gabe said cs:s would be the only mp with HL2, when i said this ppl told me i was talking shit. look whos got the last laugh :p

Well, for me the evidence (all the ambiguity, the old hints towards a HL2-themed MP, the way Gabe spoke about it, the way that any mention of CS:S as HL2's MP only seemed to come from outside the core HL2 dev team) pointed towards there being a separate HL2 MP.

I was wrong. Not sorry that I stood up for my beliefs and opinions, though. All you gloaters can shove it.

bah, silly lazy valve.... they knew that they could leave DM to some poor mod makers.

I'm sure that if this is true, they've got some good reasons to it. I think it seems obvious that they care very much about the gameplay and not just about the money, why else would they keep so very much info about the game to themselves? And I can tell you that it's not just about story and such, there's alot about the gameplay they haven't released.

Theroadtonowhere: Was it 2003's or 2004's E3?

Edit: Ah, right. I never thought either of it, I just thought I'd wait and see. Still do.

Edit2: Forgot to say this. It's obvious that implementing HL2 DM shouldn't be hard, so that's another reason to why I think like that.

fez said:
haha, this amusing as i remember from the e3 video that gabe said cs:s would be the only mp with HL2, when i said this ppl told me i was talking shit. look whos got the last laugh :p

Im sorry could one of you please point out this moment we all seem to have missed where gabe said this?

It was a 2004 e3 quote :sharrd.

This is ****in bullshit valve.. Yeah, all the CS kiddies will love it, but who wants to play CS nowadays except for some 13-?? Anyways, for me, I'm out.. Bye :x

Brian Damage said:
Well, for me the evidence (all the ambiguity, the old hints towards a HL2-themed MP, the way Gabe spoke about it, the way that any mention of CS:S as HL2's MP only seemed to come from outside the core HL2 dev team) pointed towards there being a separate HL2 MP.

I was wrong. Not sorry that I stood up for my beliefs and opinions, though. All you gloaters can shove it.

This is exactly how I feel.

Back