What country are u from ?

Originally posted by manny_c44
In times of war they could raise an Army equivalant to our entire population (USA) using a draft. Bad times for us.
Nah, all it would be is a turkey shoot for us.Only problem we would have is we wouldn't have enough ammo to kill them all. :(

One of my teachers told us a story from the Korean war. He said that a machine gun nest was charged by the enemy, but only the front line had weapons. When they were shot down the men behind them would pick up the weapons and continue the scramble up the hill.

Eventually the machinegunners had to retreat not only because the pile of bodies had reached the top of the hill, but their first two barrels had melted and the last one was too hot to continue firing with.

Why would a teacher says this to a room filled with 12-year olds? I guess to scare the shit out of us, he said that the massive number of chinese people would probably overcome our army.

He also told us how in Vietnam the locals would throw themselves into the treads of tanks to impede their progress by gumming up the gears...so I wouldn't say it would be a Turkey Shoot. Besides they also have a technologically advanced military, its not all spears and bowmen.

Originally posted by manny_c44
One of my teachers told us a story from the Korean war. He said that a machine gun nest was charged by the enemy, but only the front line had weapons. When they were shot down the men behind them would pick up the weapons and continue the scramble up the hill.

Eventually the machinegunners had to retreat not only because the pile of bodies had reached the top of the hill, but their first two barrels had melted and the last one was too hot to continue firing with.

Why would a teacher says this to a room filled with 12-year olds? I guess to scare the shit out of us, he said that the massive number of chinese people would probably overcome our army.

He also told us how in Vietnam the locals would throw themselves into the treads of tanks to impede their progress by gumming up the gears...so I wouldn't say it would be a Turkey Shoot. Besides they also have a technologically advanced military, its not all spears and bowmen.
Technologically advanced?Most of there weapons came from Russia.And if you consider a T-72 tank technologically advanced....then theres something wrong with you.Also that story was from the Korean War.That was about 50 years ago.This is the 21st century.Trust me We have weapons far more deadlier that whats was back then.I don't know why people always like to compare war thats from the past to the future.It was mostly bullets and dumb bombs back then.Now were creating smart bullets and bombs that can't find its target and hit it within a 5 inch area.We won't make the same mistakes like we did back then.Also soliders now have infred goggles that can find targets in big jungles.So theres no more hiding in the bushes.

Originally posted by Tredoslop
How did America lose the Vietnam war?
The damn hippies back here pressured the president into makeing are troops retreat.We were acutally starting to win during last year of the war because we were getting use to the VC's tatics.But noooooooo there was so much protest here that are economy was failing so congress told the president to withdraw the troops.Oh the flaws of democracy. :(

Originally posted by Tr0n
The damn hippies back here pressured the president into makeing are troops retreat.We were acutally starting to win during last year of the war because we were getting use to the VC's tatics.But noooooooo there was so much protest here that are economy was failing so congress told the president to withdraw the troops.Oh the flaws of democracy. :(

Yep , if the American people would have let the Army do their thing , it would have been better. If the stingy no-nothing-about-the-military politicians would have let the Military bomb/attack in the North we could have won no problem.

PS- Not to mention that Korea story , the Korean winter is HORRIBLE and the Army was having problems dealing with it.

If Americans didn't want that war, they had the right to protest. That's called democracy. Those years just sucked anyway.

Originally posted by Morbo
If Americans didn't want that war, they had the right to protest. That's called democracy. Those years just sucked anyway.

They had a right to protest , they did NOT have a right to spit on returning soldiers , call them baby killers and overall not support their sacrafice.

They should also know that their protests caused deaths of soldiers by inhibiting politicians.

lol....
not really. That has to be the biggest stereotype out there. That and living in igloos.

Originally posted by Tr0n
Technologically advanced?Most of there weapons came from Russia.And if you consider a T-72 tank technologically advanced....then theres something wrong with you.

For something to be effective it doesn't have to be state of the art. Yes, the T-72 is old, but if you think about the fact that some had armor as thick as 350mm (which was very difficult if not impossible to penetrate) it's not as bad as it's made out to be.

Candians saying "eh" is not a stereotype, I had a Candian friend who said eh all the time, and he hadn't lived their for 10 years!! And I even know people in Minnesotta who say "eh" all of the time....maybe you're the only one who doesn't say it.

EDIT: China doesn't have outdated Soviet tanks, they have alot of new shit. They are nothing compared to us, that's a given, but they have a massive modern navy and the largest airforce in the world. And I know that a modern war now would be absolutely different from the Korean war, its just to illustrate the point of just how many there are, and thats a hurdle no matter the fight. Especially if you consider civilian insurrections.

Why we lost the Vietnam War: Sensationalism and Media overkill. But their was alot of lying by the administration. There was a huge counter-attack by North Vietnam when everybody thought the war was almost over, that got people angry. (I wish I could remember the name of it, it was ahuge deal and really the turning point of America's support of the war).

Angry people+hippies=no more war

But noooooooo there was so much protest here that are economy was failing so congress told the president to withdraw the troops.Oh the flaws of democracy.

How long does a war have to continue, before people like you consider
to END a conflict where nothing is to be gained, a conflict that is ultimately hopeless?

Also soliders now have infred goggles that can find targets in big jungles.So theres no more hiding in the bushes.

Gear that is too expensive even for the U.S military to equip a drafted
army of hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions in the advent of a large war.

PS: Don't go mistaking me for some anti war do-gooder.

greeny if that is so , why not end the conflict by winning , by taking the gloves off so to speak. Anyway those protesters back then immensley disrespected the soldiers that had given so much , for that I will never give them my respect , they can never regain it.

Im from the best nation in the world, the USA, Takes no shit, like the other countrys do.

Originally posted by FriScho
I'm from Germany.

And to all CS kids that start with idiotic "heil hitler" and "you nazi" crap if they read "germany" during a Counterstrike match. World War 2 ended 58 years ago! There is no Hitler here anymore. No Nazis ruling the country.

We grew up with democracy and have nothing to do with the "dark past" of our grandfathers. Most of our dads were born when the war was already over and grown up with major american and french culture influence. We know the "third reich" only from books and movies. Just like you. And Nazi symbols are banned here (not in USA, that's why some of the biggest Neonazi-networks have their bases in USA now).

I'm willing to bet that there are more Nazi (and Nazi type's) in america than anywhere else in the world. The great melting pot of america!!!!! Too bad we cant put all the really bad one's in a different pot and blow it up......or just ignore it.

Yeah, thats the crappy thing about freedom of speech. it applies to everyone.

I find it interesting how many racists there are online and whatnot. Once my friend was over at my house playing cs and he (jokingly, mind you) typed, "I hate all you black monkeys." He just wanted to see the kind of reaction he'd get, and sure enough, the other guy replied "yeah, I hate those n*****s." (You can probably guess the rest of the word)

I wonder how some people manage to stay so many centuries behind eveyrone else.

Not to mention that the most popular book to download at one bittorrent site was Mein Kampf(after The Complete Idiots Guide to Amazing Sex, of course).

Originally posted by Slug
England.... Once we ruled the earth, but now.... Now we have let other countrys build up their own strength

When did England ruled the earth?... tell me that english boy

The british empire was the strongest in the world right after the fall of the Ottoman empire. Go read a book. Then America took over.

oldiknoby an englishman right?

Not quite true... go re(read) a decent history book!

Damn pro-slave countries

Originally posted by oldi1knoby
The british empire was the strongest in the world right after the fall of the Ottoman empire. Go read a book. Then America took over.
Yep...but like you said...then America took over. :)

Not quite true... go re(read) a decent history book!

Umm... I believe you'll find he's right. The British Empire was the largest.

At its peak in the nineteenth century, the British Empire was the largest empire ever known

One of the reasons why the British Empire was surpassed by America was because of the First World War. America was able to increase it's industrial might because they were sending over equipment and munitions to the Allied forces but did not actively take part in the fighting. After the First World War Britain like most of the other countries involved went through a depression. A generation of men had been killed and Britain itself was on the decline even before the First World War as Germany had overtaken them in Steel production for example, however Britain still had the largest amount of colonies, with a total combined population of 390 million at the time of the start of the First World War I believe.

And in answer to the topic's title, I'm from England as you might have guessed :dozey:

well, America did participate activly...the term AEF (American expedition force/"After England failed") rings a bell?

Originally posted by oldi1knoby
I live in Honolulu, Hawaii. USA! :)

... You are one lucky bastard , Hawaii was the most beautiful place Ive ever been. And Honolulu has a cool mix of American and Japaneese cultures.

OMFG, my arme will kik ur ass!!

It is ridiculous how a thread, that is about where you live, turns into a over patriotic shit throwing contest. What's the deal? Your egos needed a doze of good ol' masturbation?

Oh, and I really try hard to forget all those sterotypes and clichés about americans and I try to think you as normal people, but what can I say. You really do your best to prove me wrong.

Ah, meh... words fail me :(

Just before WW1, in 1870 around, it was said that the French Army was the most powerful, but the Germans crushed them in under a year, so Germany took 2 territories, now France and Germany had a grudge. But world war one started when a man from Bosnia killed the Arch-Duke of Austria-Hungary, Austria-Hungary was backed by Germany and another country, Austria-Hungary made demands on Serbia, but they refused and war wa declared on Serbia, but Russia defended Serbia, Germany defended Austria-Hungary and then France backed Russia, then later Britain defended Russia, and etc...the allies!America joined when Germany sank to many U-Boats and tried to encourage mexico to invade.

Originally posted by supraKarma
OMFG, my arme will kik ur ass!!

It is ridiculous how a thread, that is about where you live, turns into a over patriotic shit throwing contest. What's the deal? Your egos needed a doze of good ol' masturbation?

Oh, and I really try hard to forget all those sterotypes and clichés about americans and I try to think you as normal people, but what can I say. You really do your best to prove me wrong.

Ah, meh... words fail me :(

But everyone who started bashing America first is AOK to you? Hypocritical.

then later Britain defended Russia

Actually, Britain entered the first World War after our allies Belgium were attacked.

@supraKarma: If you don't like the thread then simply keep out.

then America took over :)

And the USSR of course. :cool:

well, America did participate activly...the term AEF rings a bell?

Indeed sorry about that, they did actively participate I had the wrong information, I apologize. Although I think it's a bit unfair to call it the 'After England Failed', considering it was not only British Soldiers who were giving their lives but French and Russian ones as well.

Was Belgium a British Colony?

No, Belgium was (well still is) a country on the coast of mainland Europe which provided England with ports for trading etc. Britain had promised to protect Belgium from attack in some pact made in 1700s.

well, "after england failed" was the term used by the troopers...

The way WWi started was a very complex and confusing one, and Tredoslop had some little mistakes...it started with serbia (sort of...it was the cause, not the reason. Everyone in europe was out for war - france wanted elsas lotringen back, germany wanted its place among the world powers, austria-hungary saw almost everyone as a threat, and russia...well, they weren't exactly pacifists either...only the british had no real reason to go to war - the alliance with france aside. the alliance system was quite interessting - you see, after 1871, Bismarck had managed to isolate france tottally. By 1914, it was in a powerfull alliance with england and russia.) Austria declared war on serbia after germany pushed it to do so (I did not know this and assumed that "they dragged us along" for a long time), in turn russia declared its support for serbia, thus declaring war on germany and austria. However, germany declared war on france (seeing its chance), marched in in belgium (without declaring war first), and england declared war on germany - befor it could do so (which it would surely had done). In the end, nothing was gained exept communism in russia, a destroyed world-power, an instable republic in germany...in the end leading to WWII).

Back