What OS do you use...

What OS do you use for things other than gaming

• Total voters
chrome is out of beta now. and gmail isnt an OS is it. gmails really quite old now so i'm sure it has absolutely no noticeable bugs - ive been using it half a year

Pfft, newb. I've been using it for four and a half years.

Also, I have a questions for all you Windows 7 users... What makes it so much better than vista? All I've heard is "its just so much better maaaan! Its like faster and shit dude" but never any real reasons.

Including those you listed. I see NO improvement over Vista, both 64bit. I'd go back to Vista but the only hindrance and reason I really have to go back (because there's little difference to me now performance and compatibility wise) is that gadgets don't work at all.

blank2.png

▲▲

Come on pesh, you can't even triforce correctly.

Also, I have a questions for all you Windows 7 users... What makes it so much better than vista? All I've heard is "its just so much better maaaan! Its like faster and shit dude" but never any real reasons.

The new taskbar is a lot nicer. I usually have a crap load of stuff open like 3DSMax, Photoshop, Source SDK, and Hammer, as well as Firefox and WMP. On XP/Vista this would usually take up the whole taskbar and new windows would be squished in. Under Windows 7 this no longer happens as each window is represented by an icon on the taskbar leaving plenty of room for more programs.

Multiple windows are automatically grouped together which is nice. You can hover your mouse over the icon on the taskbar to get thumbnail previews of each window and hovering your mouse over a thumbnail shows that window in full. Very helpful for checking how a map is compiling in Hammer without activating the window, or checking on an IM convo.

Another feature is the ability to move windows to either side of the screen to be resized automatically so they take up half the width of your desktop. I find this useful when I have a web page I'm working on. I load up the page in Firefox and move it to take up the left half of the screen and I move Notepad++ to the right to take up the over half so they're side-by-side. Of course, this is something that can be done in XP by simply moving the windows next to each other but it just makes it easier. :p

Performance wise it's a lot better than XP. Logging in is very quick, all my start-up programs (AVG, ATi Catalyst, Razer Tray, Steam) are up and running 15-20 seconds after logging in, and games run perfectly fine.

All in all, I'm pretty goddamn impressed by it especially considering that it's a beta. I was a bit cynical at first as it seemed like a small leap over Vista but it's the little things that impress and because of this I'm definitely going to make the switch from XP. If you're on Vista though then you might want to check it out to see if it's worth it. ;)

Unless it's a free upgrade from Vista, I'm not changing anytime soon.

The new taskbar is a lot nicer. I usually have a crap load of stuff open like 3DSMax, Photoshop, Source SDK, and Hammer, as well as Firefox and WMP. On XP/Vista this would usually take up the whole taskbar and new windows would be squished in. Under Windows 7 this no longer happens as each window is represented by an icon on the taskbar leaving plenty of room for more programs.

Multiple windows are automatically grouped together which is nice. You can hover your mouse over the icon on the taskbar to get thumbnail previews of each window and hovering your mouse over a thumbnail shows that window in full. Very helpful for checking how a map is compiling in Hammer without activating the window, or checking on an IM convo.

Another feature is the ability to move windows to either side of the screen to be resized automatically so they take up half the width of your desktop. I find this useful when I have a web page I'm working on. I load up the page in Firefox and move it to take up the left half of the screen and I move Notepad++ to the right to take up the over half so they're side-by-side. Of course, this is something that can be done in XP by simply moving the windows next to each other but it just makes it easier. :p

Performance wise it's a lot better than XP. Logging in is very quick, all my start-up programs (AVG, ATi Catalyst, Razer Tray, Steam) are up and running 15-20 seconds after logging in, and games run perfectly fine.

All in all, I'm pretty goddamn impressed by it especially considering that it's a beta. I was a bit cynical at first as it seemed like a small leap over Vista but it's the little things that impress and because of this I'm definitely going to make the switch from XP. If you're on Vista though then you might want to check it out to see if it's worth it. ;)

It sounds like vista TBH. The taskbar thing doesnt seem like that great of a thing. I need to have like 12 different windows open for it to begin shrinking them on the taskbar. And having just an icon seems no different than having super small taskbar items really. The thumbnail preview is in vista, and window grouping happens automatically when you're running out of space on the task bar. I believe XP even has this.

Having screens resized is also in vista. Just right click the task bar and choose to display them horizontally, vertically, stacked, or cascaded.

And all of my startup programs are on and running inside of ten seconds as well :|

I just dont see how its any different in any real way. At most it would seem like a very minor patch.

Holy **** Media Center in windows 7 can play h264????!

I'm ****ing sold. BRB GETTING WINDOWS 7!

Unless it's a free upgrade from Vista, I'm not changing anytime soon.

People pay for software? Since when? I've always managed to score free copies off education facilities or MS goons.

I got Vista for free by calling MS to ask for a key. They had a recorded message giving out keys. Hopefully they'll do the same with Windows 7.

Windows 7. Was supposed to be temporary, but I have to say that I've fallen in love.

Everything I do is in XP for now.
I do have a Vista OEM CD I bought for $5 but I have not got around got installing it. Supposedly, I can only use as long as I am a student. But why install Vista when Win7 beta is out already?

I also have 2 instances of Ubuntu 64bit running in VMware for Folding@home.

Why don't you just try it?

Why dont you just let people ask questions before they use up 3.5 gigs of their bandwidth?

And I already said im downloading it. sheesh.

I didn't mean that aggressively. Maybe I should of said, "You have to try it to really understand the differences". :)

I haven't heard very good things about windows 7...

Such as it being a Vista Repeat...

Windows 7 rocks. Their automated help thing actually HELPED me solve an install error.

I haven't heard very good things about windows 7...

Such as it being a Vista Repeat...

And i bet you heard that from the people who bash Vista without ever using it. Everywhere i've seen people praising it, even die hard mac lovers who bashed the hell out of Vista said 7 was a definite improvement. I honestly don't get what people want. They said Vista was to resource hungry to bloated and 7 fixes that, yet they still bash it.

And i bet you heard that from the people who bash Vista without ever using it. Everywhere i've seen people praising it, even die hard mac lovers who bashed the hell out of Vista said 7 was a definite improvement. I honestly don't get what people want. They said Vista was to resource hungry to bloated and 7 fixes that, yet they still bash it.

From what I've heard, everyone who was using vista said it was the same thing, and everyone who used XP says its soooooo great.

Vista has a bad rep and nothing short of a miracle will fix that. Yes 7 is based heavily on Vista (why do you think it's coming out so fast?) but the underlying tech and UI is fine. The whole Vista capable marketing campaign screwed Vista over from day 1. XP is great because plenty of people are using it and it's been out long enough to be a nigh rock solid desktop platform. Vista and 7 are great because of all the new additions specifically memory management that shits all over XP.

"It's using all mah RAM" It's meant to. Unused memory is wasted memory. If you really need some more memory cheaply stick a fast 2/4GB usb stick in and turn on readyboost.

And i bet you heard that from the people who bash Vista without ever using it.

Actually, I've read that on several software sites, and acclaimed reviews. Many of the reviews start to boast how much better Mac is near the end, at which point i turn around and forget I ever read anything, but a lot of them were people that I trusted. Such as my brother, who is a Computer Tech (He works at a computer store for a living.) and is studying to be an Electro engineer. He said it was okay, but felt a lot like Vista. he uses XP anyway, and mourns for the loss of Windows 2000, as do I.

When I bought my new notebook (HP Mini-Note 2133) with Vista and everyone kept telling me that it was bad choice for OS... I never noticed anything wrong with Vista or never had BSOD.

So uh... the windows 7 download is done... but all I have is a 3.5 gig file that with the name 'default.aspx'

What am I supposed to do with it?

But .aspx isnt a image format, I dont think. At least, Nero doesnt recognize it.

I got Vista for free by calling MS to ask for a key. They had a recorded message giving out keys. Hopefully they'll do the same with Windows 7.

What? Why would they do that? People buy Vista for >100$ while they could call MS and get a key for free?

I don't get it.

You downloaded it wrong. It's meant to be a .ISO with the name 7000.0.081212-1400_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD. :(

Well I just deleted the extension and wrote in .iso and it shows up in my virtual drive as the vista disk. Weird that it got renamed, but thankfully I dont have to redownload it.

What? Why would they do that? People buy Vista for >100$ while they could call MS and get a key for free?

I don't get it.

If you call to get activations some times during out of work hours they just give you a recorded message with a key. Last time i spoke on the phone to a MS support guy i gave her my Win 98 key said it was for Vista Ultimate and that i've used all my activations by doing mass upgrades, she didn't even check and just gave me a new key which i gave to my friend.

People actually use things other than command prompt? What is this newfangled jibber jabber?

Vista.

I'll probably upgrade to windows 7 when it's released though.

Vista.
I don't know why people hate it, I like it.

Vista has many problems, crashing, bugging, and hating several programs.

Back