What's the most shamefully geeky thing you've ever done?

I needed to ad-lib some Italian in a musical I was in, so I looked through my DVDs to see if I had anything subtitled. Ended up using lines from the Futurama episode "Anthology of Interest", which is probably the geekiest episode of a particularly geeky show.

INTERESTING STUFF! You watched it, you can't un-watch it!

Also, back in 2003, people here decided to write Half-Life 2 themed lyrics to the tune of Christmas songs. I wrote a few. :eek:
Oh... that reminds me that I did this. Worse still, the hours in which I never did successfully marry Half-Life 2 with Boney M.

Doctor, Doctor Breen!
Pimping Up C Seventeen!

Community Project... Go!
INTERESTING STUFF! You watched it, you can't un-watch it!
Help, friends! A Guinea Pig Tricked Me!

It's not geeky, but it is a little pathetic that you went out of your way to show off your girlfriend to a nerd so you could feel cool.

Pathetic implies the nerd wasn't a complete asshole, fear not, he was. An arrogant offensive SoB who was 30 something and being a dick to anyone and everyone alike (I heard he got a good telling off years later that if he didn't change his attitude he'd get fired) from customers to regulars, older folk to children (and it was really bad seeing this **** being a complete tosser to kids, yeah mate, you play with transformer toys...) sometimes other staff. I was 18, I was in town, I passed up that way, I had the perfect chance to show the stupid **** how completely inappropriate his rotten attitude was, it worked.

I regret nothing. :)

Though I admit it was less mature then I would expect of me these days. Oh well, folly of youth.

I'd always press the F key in my head whenever I was stuck in the dark. Always took a second or two to realize that I wasn't playing Half Life.

I'd always quicksave before tests too, and then halfway through the test i'd hit a question I wasn't sure of, and just guess, thinking "oh, i'll go back to my quicksave if I **** it up".

Another nerdish thing I did.

Once I played TF2 so much I heard a bleeping and I thought there was a sentry nearby.

Split second later I realize thats impossible and feel rather silly. :dork:

Once I played TF2 so much I heard a bleeping and I thought there was a sentry nearby.

Split second later I realize thats impossible and feel rather silly. :dork:
I used to play TFC on average about 8-10 hours a day. Played it so much it was always on my brain. One day I'm sitting in my friend's living room with him and his gf, them on one couch and me on another, shooting the shit. He decides to pull a little joke on me and while I'm talking, he shines a laser pointer right at my crotch.

Red dot.

On my body.

I'm being targeted by an enemy sniper.

In the microsecond it took for my brain to process this information I was suddenly endowed with superhuman strength, speed, and agility. With one foot I kicked the coffee table that was between us vertical, throwing snacks everywhere; a distraction. I did a literal backflip over his couch and on the way down I grabbed the back of it, flipping the entire thing over so that it was now standing on the arms and back, providing me a shelter from frontal, flanking, and overhead attackers. I didn't know where the sniper was; he could be out the window, he might be down the hallway, or even somewhere hidden in the living room, but he was definitely in front of me, not behind, and I'd turned my friend's couch into a makeshift barricade until I could formulate a strategy to get the fuck back to respawn.

Until I hear him howling with laughter, and his gf is like, "Oh my God, what the hell?"

I didn't know you could do that in TFC.

Pathetic implies the nerd wasn't a complete asshole, fear not, he was. An arrogant offensive SoB who was 30 something and being a dick to anyone and everyone alike (I heard he got a good telling off years later that if he didn't change his attitude he'd get fired) from customers to regulars, older folk to children (and it was really bad seeing this **** being a complete tosser to kids, yeah mate, you play with transformer toys...) sometimes other staff. I was 18, I was in town, I passed up that way, I had the perfect chance to show the stupid **** how completely inappropriate his rotten attitude was, it worked.

I regret nothing. :)

Though I admit it was less mature then I would expect of me these days. Oh well, folly of youth.

Ah, fair enough. Wasn't clear in the first post.

TFC's laser was too odd looking for me to ever confuse it with something irl.

I think with the following entry, I win this thread :D

I have sent suggestions to: Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and Office of Thrift Supervision, suggestions for the language of new legislation that was being considered in y2k in the following areas:

Title 12 of the Code of Federal Regulations
12 CFR Chapter 1 - Part 41 - Fair Credit Reporting
? 41.3 Definitions (c) (2) (iii) Notice on a Web Page
? 41.6 Reasonable opportunity to opt out
? 41.7 Reasonable means of opting out

I needed to draw a rose, so I turned on Pokemon Pearl, went into the Pokedex, and used a picture of Roselia as a reference.

All conversations with my friends, be them greetings or goodbyes, are usually accompanied by at least three different Red Alert 2 voice overs, always alternating, never the same. Mate walks into the pub; ''Commander on the bridge!'', we're all about to go somewhere; ''High speed, low drag!''; who's going to drive to town tonight? ''Me, I can go anywhere!''

The best greetings are when someone comes out with something really obscure, something said from the game by some nobody unit we had all forgotten about. Something ridiculous like ''Happy birthday!'' in the Crazy Ivan voice when someone just won a hand at poker.

We also have a CD in every one of the cars we use (all my friends drive, cept me) called the Shenanigans Disc, which contains Milk and Cereal, the Picard Song, Bill O'Reilly Remix, the Ferris Bueller theme, Dueling Banjos and a whole host of other awesome tunes.

Ashamed? **** no.

I'd always quicksave before tests too, and then halfway through the test i'd hit a question I wasn't sure of, and just guess, thinking "oh, i'll go back to my quicksave if I **** it up".

I used to have the quicksave mind****s too.

All conversations with my friends, be them greetings or goodbyes, are usually accompanied by at least three different Red Alert 2 voice overs, always alternating, never the same. Mate walks into the pub; ''Commander on the bridge!'', we're all about to go somewhere; ''High speed, low drag!''; who's going to drive to town tonight? ''Me, I can go anywhere!''

The best greetings are when someone comes out with something really obscure, something said from the game by some nobody unit we had all forgotten about. Something ridiculous like ''Happy birthday!'' in the Crazy Ivan voice when someone just won a hand at poker.

We also have a CD in every one of the cars we use (all my friends drive, cept me) called the Shenanigans Disc, which contains Milk and Cereal, the Picard Song, Bill O'Reilly Remix, the Ferris Bueller theme, Dueling Banjos and a whole host of other awesome tunes.

Ashamed? **** no.

That is pretty geeky like, but hey, no shame, no problem!. :LOL:

That is just... Wow, that is so freaking awesome.

Smashed up my keyboard because I died in Far Cry(after 10 other failed attempts)

Keys shattered everywhere :eek:

I said 'GET OUT OF HERE STALKER' once. I will never live that down. ):
Also when people ask what I did at the weekend :\

****ing nerd. I would ask you to come in, but you can just stand there and think about what you did.

I thought to myself "Ctrl + Z" when I messed up a drawing.

Then I went and sat in the corner and quietly hated myself.

One time I was biking and I was wondering what direction I was traveling so I tried to press the key to show the compass. (operation flashpoint)

I think some of these ''I wanted to press the [key]'' replies are more a indication of going batshit crazy then they are geekiness. :p

I kid.

As much as I despise lolcats, whenever I'm at my friends playing poker and his cat wanders into the room I always want to put a lampshade on it's head or something.

Yeah it's more of a sign of being obsessed with something rather than an act of geekiness.

I didn't think you had even played either S.T.A.L.K.E.R games before?

Also speaking of RA2 I accidentally said I "need more ore" instead of money once :(.

TF2 quotations, but at least I can control them and only say them to those who know the game.

If I'm thinking in sentences my fingers usually twitch in trying to type out the words.

Playing Assassin's Creed makes me think I can perform parkour moves.

This has started occurring recently and is frankly alarming: If I'm trying to get through a crowd (e.g. at the trainstation), I start to follow a single person going the same direction and by reflex get in really close (<1 foot) for a backstab, only to realise I don't have my knife with me and that I forgot to put on my disguise.

Playing Assassin's Creed makes me think I can perform parkour moves

Some of that stuff is not as hard as it looks you know. The objective of parkour is not to show off but simply to reach your destination as fast as possible. A major part of it is simply bypassing barriers (such as walls).

Yeah, except in Ass Creed you can scale 12 foot walls with ease. In real life I don't have special boots or gauntlets or training.

I crack Star Wars and Indiana Jones jokes and references to my girlfriend...

Dressing myself like Daniel Faraday from Lost.
custom_1231129180745_Daniel_Faraday.jpg

ZT just because you're a homo fashion costume designer doesn't mean everyone is.

Back