Who Hates Metal? ME!!

Metal?

• I LOVE METAL! <3

Votes: 40 40.4%
  • Meh.

Votes: 35 35.4%
  • I HATE IT SO F***ING MUCH AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 24 24.2%

• Total voters
People calling metal music non-emotional or meaningful??!??!

Listen to
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
Metallica - Fade to Black
Metallica - The Unforgiven

chuck in other songs by metal bands, and you have deep meaningful lyrics with a metal core

\o/

Evo said:
People calling metal music non-emotional or meaningful??!??!

Listen to
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
Metallica - Fade to Black
Metallica - The Unforgiven

chuck in other songs by metal bands, and you have deep meaningful lyrics with a metal core

\o/

Metalica is weak. I used to listen to them but now there trash. Nightwish kills them in meaning...and in song production. Listen to them and see what I mean.

stemot said:
I`d never heard of them before I saw them at Manchester supporting Oasis, they were the second best act on the bill that night, and the next day their debut album came out so I picked it up and it`s one of the best of the year, awesome stuff.

Oh yeah, I think the fellas in the crowd that day instantly fell in love with the blond lass in the group (don`t remember her name) :D
Natasha I think :D

She's supposed to be really really nice as well :D

SearanoX said:
Fade to Black is lame. In fact, it's awful. The song is nice, but the lyrics are incredibly simplistic and are the very stereotype of emo. The vocals are atrocious, too. James can't sing and he shouldn't have tried.

I couldn't agree more.

SearanoX said:
Fade to Black is lame. In fact, it's awful. The song is nice, but the lyrics are incredibly simplistic and are the very stereotype of emo. The vocals are atrocious, too. James can't sing and he shouldn't have tried. I can't judge the others, seeing as how I haven't heard them, though, so who knows, maybe they're better. A song like Master of Puppets or Disposable Heroes or Dyers Eve, now there you can clearly see a lot of emotion and even some storytelling, but when Metallica try to do ballads they completely mess things up, at least in my experience.

Totally disagree, well okay, his voice on the original were pretty poor, but listen to the later 80's early 90's live versions and you have a monster of an amazing track

In other words, listen to it on the S&M Album!

Ahem...they didn't play Fade to Black on S&M

Metallica did some good Thrash stuff early on in their careers, Creeping Death being my favourite, but I also like Seek & Destroy (though it's a very simple song) Four Horsemen and MoP.

Anyway, we're hijacking the thread.

Obviously Dog-- you haven't really listened to that much metal. There are some kickass bands out there but there are also some really, really bad bands out there.

Just don't dismiss the whole genre after you've heard Slipknot on the radio and didn't like it or something.

Dog-- said:
There is no Talent in metal, If you like metal I'll just scream Really loud into a microphone and play my guitar so it's really loud, here you have it - Metal...

Sigh... How do I start this off...

I participate in a metal band. Now I am going to tear up every little bit of that post and burn it.

"There is no Talent in metal,"
Well, how about I give you a guitar, the tabs for the solo of the song Metallica - One, and watch you shred it out. You should be able to handle it no problem, after all, "There is no Talent in metal," :upstare:

"scream Really loud into a microphone"
Oh alright, have a listen to Metallica - Welcome Home (Sanitarium). Then tell me how you hated that nonexistant infernal screaming and how you couldn't understand a thing, since you're so deaf.

"play my guitar so its really loud"
You know, there are multiple volume knobs on the amp. As well as on WinAmp. But then again you can't hear a thing, for the reason I mentioned above.

That aside, 10/10 doctors recommend you print this thread out and shove it up your ass.

Kouler said:

I participate in a metal band. Now I am going to tear up every little bit of that post and burn it.

Well, how about I give you a guitar, the tabs for the solo of the song Metallica - One, and watch you shred it out. You should be able to handle it no problem, after all, "There is no Talent in metal," :upstare:

Oh alright, have a listen to Metallica - Welcome Home (Sanitarium). Then tell me how you hated that nonexistant infernal screaming and how you couldn't understand a thing, since you're so deaf.

You know, there are multiple volume knobs on the amp. As well as on WinAmp. But then again you can't hear a thing, for the reason I mentioned above.

That aside, 10/10 doctors recommend you print this thread out and shove it up your ass.

QTF, maybe we overuse Metallica on this forum, but also look at Maiden, even more complex with the 3 guitars!

Love my Metal! \o/

Kouler said:

I'm afraid you can't just tear up and burn this post simply with examples of bands such as Metallica. I see your point. But you're forgetting that Dog-- was not talking about Metallica specifically, but was in fact describing how he finds the metal genre in general. And in general, some might say that the metal genre more closely resembles what was described than what might be considered good metal. I tell you, good metal exists, in my opinion. But proportionally, it is dwarfed by a whole horde of absolute rubbish. Bear in mind that I hold such an opinion for just about every musical genre. You can't say any is completely bad, or completely good.

Wtf. I've just learned that solo and he plays some wrong notes lol

He plays the second one alright though.

Any chance of us all accepting different musical tastes and not degrade into a flame war?!

Most music is made by good artists, some may not like some genres of it (like Metal) but that does not allow you to say Metal is shit

(Derail) In the end, Rap still sucks.

Mods can delete this post if they want. :D

SearanoX said:
He can't keep time for shit, either.

To be honest, a lot of Metallica solos aren't that difficult. I can nearly play some of them and I've been playing less than a year. They're not exactly the best example of extreme technicality, and to be honest, metal as a whole isn't the best genre to use for that purpose. Go get some jazz fusion stuff and then you'll see some incredible talent.

It does take more than the average Green Day song, though, I can tell you that.

Aye, Metallica's solos aren't hard at all - Kirk is quite overrated.

Aspe said:
I'm afraid you can't just tear up and burn this post simply with examples of bands such as Metallica. I see your point. But you're forgetting that Dog-- was not talking about Metallica specifically, but was in fact describing how he finds the metal genre in general. And in general, some might say that the metal genre more closely resembles what was described than what might be considered good metal. I tell you, good metal exists, in my opinion. But proportionally, it is dwarfed by a whole horde of absolute rubbish. Bear in mind that I hold such an opinion for just about every musical genre. You can't say any is completely bad, or completely good.
most sensible post in the entire thread, I think. I completely agree, no moatter how much I like metal (or what I've heard) and the same goes for, say, emo. emo today seems to just me sadder metal, with a bunch of bloody conformists performing. eurgh. Anyway, kudos for aspe.

Aspe said:

I see what you're saying, but I can give many more examples of bands, such as the said Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Pantera and many many more.

I prefer Punk, but I still love a bit of the ol' Pantera, Maiden, Lamb of God, Metallica and In Flames from time to time.

Those who pay attention, know I listen to techno almost exclusively. There are some metal/hardcore/does screamo count? songs that I like, but generally? Metal? More like mehtal.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!! I should be a critic!

I hate rap and metal if you disagree with me then you suck and everyone hates you.

SearanoX said:
He can't keep time for shit, either.

To be honest, a lot of Metallica solos aren't that difficult.

Indeed, I have been playing for nearly a year and am just starting to learn their Solos and aren't find it to difficult

Also as for the screaming thing, well, screaming is actually really difficult to do; I'm not talking about girly screaming either, I'm talking about a powerful falsetto scream. Listen to singers like Bruce Dickinson or Rob Halford, they could rip to pieces in terms of what they can do with their voice most people you care to mention across any genre.

Michael from Opeth has amazing growls but he can also do great soft vocals. As for guitar check out Nevermore or Necrophagist, Those two guys are amazing. Anyways, saying theres no talent or emotion in metal is completely wrong. Metal gets the worst stereotypes.

As for metallica. Good band. They are overrated though and aren't the most technical. but thats not always a bad thing.

SearanoX said:
I wouldn't call soaring operatic vocals "screams," but it is indeed very difficult to sing that well. Just listen to the song Victim of Changes from Judas Priest's Sad Wings of Destiny album. One of the best vocal performances in metal, ever. The self-titled song off of the Painkiller album is also pretty intense, vocal-wise.

Bruce and Rob are known for their screams. I went to see Iron Maiden in the summer at Leeds and Bruce did some great screams during Remember Tomorrow. As for Rob Halford he does a magnificent scream at the end of "Tyrant".

Growls and Screams are at opposite ends of the vocal ranges, with Growls you go very low with Screams you go very high. A scream stretches the vocal chords of a singer to maximum; it'd be very difficult to sing like that. Most Death Metal and Black Metal vocalists stick to the growls, unfortunately if you don't do it right growling can damage your voice box, easily, so most Death and Black Metal vocalists develop Operatic methods for controlling air flow through their vocal chords.

I haven't read any of the replies, so I am sorry if this has already been covered, but...

If you don't like metal, it just means you haven't developed an appreciation for it. It's not good or bad, it's just how it is. I don't like opera, but that doesn't mean opera sucks, because if it were completely devoid of any intrinsic value, it wouldn't have been around for so long and attended by so many. So it is more accurate for me to say, for example, "I do not like country music" than to say, "country music sucks." Music is art, and art is very subjective. As such, it is up to each individual to decide which music he or she likes or dislikes. But to try using one's lack of appreciation for a particular art form as a common bond with others seems a silly waste of time. All it will do is annoy those who understand that metal kicks ass. ^_^

Metal ain't good. My opinion.
Alt. Rock FTW!
and Melodic.

I don't like all Metal, just progressive, such as Dream Theater and Savatage.

I think metal is an acquired taste, like wine, or soccer.

bumblebee said:
I love music. I love Metal and Rock. I love Death Metal. I love alot of metal.

However, I'm not one-sided like some other people. I love cambodian and pop music. I love tribal rhythms. I love indian music. I also like J-Pop and J-Rock.

My first style of music I've ever liked has always been Metal and Rock. I can't stand it when people hate a certain style of music. You don't need to like the music, but you should appreciate other styles of music.

I don't like to say metal owns all. Because that is also one-sided.

So, may I ask you. What genre of music do you like? I'm not gonna bash it like you would, if I don't like it. I'll appreciate the music you would like. You can have you own opinions, just don't freakin bash it. You should really learn to keep your hateful opinions to yourself. Only people like you masturbate over the fact that they hate it so much, they squirm in their pants once they post a bashing message on the internet, which means they get a buzz once telling people how much they hate something. Buzz=Masturbate. Its until someone will hopefully give you an insight to stop been a stupid prick, and bashing someones favourite genre.

Dude, at least just say you hate it. I don't care. Just don't bash it so hard, as well as the metalheads.

Thats exaly what i feel like, how can you hate a type of music? Hate is a strong word, dislike is a better word! Here is a thread i made a long time ago about Rap, i talk alot about the music being "hated" etc

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97563&highlight=Gangsta

In school, these two guys talked about something, i didnt hear what it was but one of them said "dont you just hate...balbal" (didnt hear) and the other guy said "i dont hate"

I don't stick to any particular genre personally, my tastes range from ray charles - kanye west - joe satriani - metallica etc...

A few bands that i have to come to like recently are:

Nightwish
Sonata Arctica
Dragonforce

All good stuff. I respect artists of all genres which have real talent.

Back