Who Upgraded for HL2?

I just bought mine solely for HL2, couple weeks ago....

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.2 Ghz)
512 MB RAM memory
Crappy video card, 64 MB P.O.S. (built in to the motherboard)
160 GB HDD
DVD-RW combo

I just bought this computer from the store, I need to upgrade the video card, going for a 9800 XT because I can't find a 9800 Pro, only over the web, and will put one more stick of 512 RAM with my next paycheck. :thumbs:

Bought this more than a year ago:
Pentium 4 2.8 ghz with 800mhz fsb
ASUS p4C800 MOBO with dual DDR
512 DDRRAM 3200
120 gig 7200 HDD
geforce fx 5600 256mb (ran D3 great surprisingly)
mouse and keyboard o boy

and for by b-day 1 week ago i got:
19'' Flatpanel LCD Princeton

daveodeth said:
strange they kick arse, i love em. What model did you get cause the Bass on mine is dandy.

I dont remember I got the zalman surround sound headphones from newegg and I also bought the amp for them and they didnt sound very good at all, bu tim also kinda a audio freak so It may have just been me!

razorblade kiss said:
1500 eh? Tell ya what. You put that machine together for me for 1500 or under, and I'll cancel my order with Alienware for 3000. Pay you 1500 for building the machien, and give you the other 1500 for the hell of it. The graphics card cost over 400 alone. How do you figure your gonna fit everything else in there with only 1100 left? lol

HAHAHAH dude Im telling u dont fight them its not worth it they will make up any number to make it sound like you got screwed there are some other forums I can point you too that have older more professional builders that can hepl you out if you want and wont b*#tch and whine cause you got a AW, yes you could have saved some money but nothing astronomical at least not for the top of the line systems we bought plus we get just 1 warranty on everything and its built by real professionals not some kids that think they know everything about computers, I have several friends that only build there own and they told me also that I wont go wrong with AW ill just pay a little more than if they built one for me, plus on mine i get no payments for 3 months and no interest for 6 , and If alienware was so crappy and such a joke then they wouldnt be growing as fast as they are.

MACHINE said:
HAHAHAH dude Im telling u dont fight them its not worth it they will make up any number to make it sound like you got screwed there are some other forums I can point you too that have older more professional builders that can hepl you out if you want and wont b*#tch and whine cause you got a AW, yes you could have saved some money but nothing astronomical at least not for the top of the line systems we bought plus we get just 1 warranty on everything and its built by real professionals not some kids that think they know everything about computers, I have several friends that only build there own and they told me also that I wont go wrong with AW ill just pay a little more than if they built one for me, plus on mine i get no payments for 3 months and no interest for 6 , and If alienware was so crappy and such a joke then they wouldnt be growing as fast as they are.

You speak my mind. Hopefully someday we can play CS:S together and own all. lol.

razorblade kiss said:
You speak my mind. Hopefully someday we can play CS:S together and own all. lol.

LoL, sounds good! :cheers:

I havnt upgrade for doom3 and iam not upgrading for hl2.
I wait until the new standard are established. sata, pci express, 64bit, sli, dual channel. stuff like that, you know? :>

I just purchased an ati x800 pro 256mb, i went ati for hl2 but i bought it sooner for doom 3.

Running an amd 3000+cpu, 1gb corsair dual ddr ram, audigy2 zs and some deluxe asus motherboard. I dont' remember the model number! I got all this stuff back in janurary, except for the video card. I can't wait to play hl2!

Well I decided to go with the X800 Pro. I also grabbed a gig of corsair RAM to go with it aswell.

Plug said:
I just purchased an ati x800 pro 256mb, i went ati for hl2 but i bought it sooner for doom 3.

Running an amd 3000+cpu, 1gb corsair dual ddr ram, audigy2 zs and some deluxe asus motherboard. I dont' remember the model number! I got all this stuff back in janurary, except for the video card. I can't wait to play hl2!

We almost have the same exact setup. THe HL2 experience will be amazing on our puters. :)

razorblade kiss said:
Heres the specs.

Chassis: Alienware® Full-Tower Case (480-Watt PS) - Saucer Silver
Power Supply: No Power Supply Upgrade
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 2.8GHz
Motherboard: ASUS® P4C800-E Deluxe - Intel 875P Motherboard
Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR PC-3200 SDRAM at 400MHz - 2 x 512MB
Video Card: ATI RADEON™ X800 XT Platinum Edition 256MB DDR3 w/Digital and TV Out
System Drive: High Performance - Serial ATA - 80GB Seagate® Barracuda 7,200 RPM w/8MB Cache
Optical Drive One: Lite-On® 16x DVD-ROM Drive with Software DVD Decoder
Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive - Black
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 High Definition 6.1 Surround
Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
Display One: NEC 17" LCD 1760NX MultiSync - Black
Speakers: Logitech® Z-640 5.1 70-Watt Speakers
Home Networking: D-Link® 802.11G Wireless Base Station

The total just almost hit 3 grand, but I figured what the hell. I was tired of skimping out on previous computer buys. Maybe cutting back on the graphics card to save money, or not getting the monitor I wanted. I've waited for HL2 since the day the first screens came out last year. I love HL, I love HL2, I owe it to myself to be able to enjoy this game to it's max. I love video games. :)

3 grand? You sure? I have nearly the same system but for:

athlon 64 3000
NEC 22" multisync CRT (really great: 100hz at 1600x120 and superbright)
NEC 4x/2x DVD burner
160 gig Hitachi 7200rpm SATA

cpu/mp = 300
ram = 180
monitor = 600
soundcard = 80
case/pw = 100
z640 speakers = 80
mx500 mouse = 50
x800xt = 550
hd = 100
dvd burner = 100 (this was 8 months ago)

total ~= 2140

Sounds like Alienware is a ripofff.

Same goes for you too. I spent just 300 more than you and i have the comp in my specs. Jesus where do u people shop???!

lets see...

I upgraded proc and vid card.
other then that, well...not for HL2. :)

I know this is kinda off topic, but what kinda mouse you guys have, I myself have a trackball optical Microsoft mouse that I bought like 2 years ago, I hate having to drag the mouse around to look.

I tried to upgrade to a newer trackball, but I bought one that you have to move the trackball with your thumb and could not get used to it to save my life, so I returned it and went back to my old trackball that moves with the index finger.

Rafa 5.0 said:
I know this is kinda off topic, but what kinda mouse you guys have, I myself have a trackball optical Microsoft mouse that I bought like 2 years ago, I hate having to drag the mouse around to look.

I tried to upgrade to a newer trackball, but I bought one that you have to move the trackball with your thumb and could not get used to it to save my life, so I returned it and went back to my old trackball that moves with the index finger.

The best mouse to use for PC gaming...

RAZER VIPER

Buy it here.

Rafa 5.0 said:

I have the logitech mx 510 i Love it, its great for gaming has high specs, but its not a trackball.

MACHINE said:
I have the logitech mx 510 i Love it, its great for gaming has high specs, but its not a trackball.
Yes, the Logitech MX510 is also a very, very good gaming mouse. But, overall, the Razer Viper, outperforms it. Me loves my Razer Viper!

Sorry to resurrect this dying thread, but I just had to share. After a couple of weeks of nagging and a couple of budget sheets, I managed to convince my wife to let me buy a new PC. Hopefully I won't have to upgrade this baby for a looooooooooooong time. Here's the specs:

3.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 550 (Prescott)
Asus P5AD2 Premium 925X PCI-Express Motherboard
1GB PC4200 DDR2 RAM
(SATA) 160GB Seagate 7200rpm Serial ATA-150 w/ 8MB Cache
Toshiba 16X DVD ROM/48X CD-ROM Drive (Black Bezel)
ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum PCI-Express 256MB (w/ DVI, TV Out & Dual Display)
Innerworks Active Video Cooling
Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS (7.1)
Hypersonic Silencer Package for Reduced Fan Noise
SONICWAVE Aluminum Tower Case (Black)
Enermax 431W PEG465P-VE ATX 12V Switching Power Supply
Logitech MX500 Optical USB (Black/Silver)
Logitech Elite Keyboard (Black/Silver)
Logitech Z-640 5.1 70W Surround (Black)

I can't wait for this baby to arrive at the office. I think I might come down with the flu that day... :)

User Name said:
The best mouse to use for PC gaming...

RAZER VIPER

Buy it here.

I think I still prefer a trackball, you still have to move the mouse around.. meh :dozey:

Rafa 5.0 said:
I think I still prefer a trackball, you still have to move the mouse around.. meh :dozey:
Ok then, that's fine. Stick to what you're used to. But if you ever decide to get an optical mouse that moves around, go with a Razer Viper. You will NOT be disappointed. ;)

la;jsdf

I'm upgrading my system to

asus 939 socket motherboard
gig of 333 kingston ram
ati x800 xt platinum
amd 64 3500+
creative audigy 2 zs ...

sweeeeeeeeeeet .... :naughty: ... shoudl get all that before hl2

i got a really nice deal for the 9800 Pro 128mb card since a store here locally was closing down.. so it was a nice upgrade from my 9600 Pro 128mb :thumbs:

HL2 should run nicely.. or so tells me a few pple here.. :p

/me will start hunting for Shuzer and others if HL2 runs crappily when its released :frown: :p

User Name said:
Ok then, that's fine. Stick to what you're used to. But if you ever decide to get an optical mouse that moves around, go with a Razer Viper. You will NOT be disappointed. ;)
I got this one today, but what is so great about the Razer Viper??

Rafa 5.0 said:
I got this one today, but what is so great about the Razer Viper??
That looks like a great trackball mouse you have there. But I really don't know how well trackball mice perform with PC games. Well, you know more than me on that subject.
What is so great about the Razer Viper, you ask?

Ok...lemme tell ya.

Razer's new optical mouse - the Razer Viper - may make you reconsider your decision. Its primary benefit is a new 1,000dpi optical sensor. To put that in perspective, high-end mice run at 800dpi, and most other run at only 400dpi. As soon as I began using the Viper, it was immediately apparent that it tracked better and was more responsive than even Logitech's new MX-510, the reigning 800dpi champ.
Like all Razer mice, the Viper ships with useful, gamer-oriented software that allows you to do things like adjust mouse sensitivity on the fly in games and to independently adjust the sensitivity of its X and Y axes. That latter feature lets you do some very nifty stuff. Let's say you want to be able to spin around very quickly in a shooter, but also want to be able to look up and down very slowly and deliberately. That's exactly the sort of thing you can set up using Razer's software.
The Viper's only downside is that it's a three-button mouse (including the scroll wheel). If you're accustomed to high-end Logitech and Microsoft mice, you may find that to be too few buttons. But I think of this as a minor downside overall.
I recommend this mousee to every PC gamer. The best mouse I have ever owned, period.

Price: $49.99 (M.S.R.P)
www.razerzone.com

User Name said:
Like all Razer mice, the Viper ships with useful, gamer-oriented software that allows you to do things like adjust mouse sensitivity on the fly in games and to independently adjust the sensitivity of its X and Y axes.
That actually sounds like a nifty feature.:thumbs:

As far as how trackballs perform with FPS shooters, it's a lot easier to look around, meaning you can turn down the sensitivity and still be able to look all the way around(360 degrees) with just one or two rotations of the ball, for me, I feel it gives me more control.

With the optical mice, when I set the mouse down, it throws my aim off a bit, but that's just me.

That Microsoft Trackball looks like the face of a Vortigaunt.
Anyways, I just got a PowerColor CP ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB/256-bit for my birthday(Aug.11).

and there's more...

The Razer Viper possesses the most advanced optical tracking system of any mouse to-date. This is a high-precision, extremely accurate input device that operates at anywhere between 25 to 150% more resolution than other optical mice.

• Sleek ergonomic ambidextrous profile - translucent exterior design
• Two Ultra-large nonslip buttons - Finger tip grip for accurate and precise targeting control
• Nonslip side rails - performance grip design
• Ultraslick teflon feet - zero accoustic feedback
• Gold Plated Max-Conductive USB connector

Razer's first pure optical mouse - possesses the most advanced optical tracking system of any mouse to-date. The true 1000 DPI hardware-based optical engine, results in unparalleled, explosive game play. Viper is more responsive, offers smoother movement, and is faster than any optical mouse out there!

Some pics:

pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4
pic5
pic6
pic7

I upgraded my video card to msi 9800 pro, it has a R360 chip, and im runing it on XT speeds. I get a 9800 XT for 200$

brutal85 said:
I upgraded my video card to msi 9800 pro, it has a R360 chip, and im runing it on XT speeds. I get a 9800 XT for 200$

I just ordered the same card.

User Name said:
and there's more...

The Razer Viper possesses the most advanced optical tracking system of any mouse to-date. This is a high-precision, extremely accurate input device that operates at anywhere between 25 to 150% more resolution than other optical mice.

• Sleek ergonomic ambidextrous profile - translucent exterior design
• Two Ultra-large nonslip buttons - Finger tip grip for accurate and precise targeting control
• Nonslip side rails - performance grip design
• Ultraslick teflon feet - zero accoustic feedback
• Gold Plated Max-Conductive USB connector

Razer's first pure optical mouse - possesses the most advanced optical tracking system of any mouse to-date. The true 1000 DPI hardware-based optical engine, results in unparalleled, explosive game play. Viper is more responsive, offers smoother movement, and is faster than any optical mouse out there!
You lazy bastard, copy and pasted that whole message didn't you :rolling:

.... but seriously, It sounds nice, but I'll stick to my trackball for now....
IF they made a Razer Viper Trackball, then I would get it. :cheers:

How important is RAM gonna be for HL2. I got 512, in addition to a 9800Pro and a 3.0CPU? Shuold I buy an extra 512? I ask because for Doom 3 getting 1024 made almost no difference on high (it made a big difference on ultra).

I upgraded my Ti4600 to an X800 pro. This was more for Doom3 than HL2, but it was done with HL2 in mind.

Ditto. I upgraded my mx440 to an x800 Pro, it was time for that card to go anyway. I'll probably sell it online for 20 bucks or something, heh.

Hrm, well I did upgrade tonight. Took out the old Geforce FX 5200 and put in a ATI 9600XT, and another stick of 256mb ddr. Not a huge upgrade but good enough for now untill I buy a x800 XT.

I would kill to get this kind of computer:

-AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 3800+ Socket 939
-2 GB Kingston DDR MB ram.
-Asus VIA K8T800 Pro A8V Deluxe
-BFGTech GF 6800 Ultra OC 256MB -or- Sapphire ATI X800 XT Platinum Edition 256 MB
-Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Platinum.

Back