Why HL2 won't be as good as HL.

Fanboys wont be disapointed at all in my opinion. Some people who havent played HL wont be either. HL2 will exceed HL just because its amazing (no i havent played it, we just all know). Go back and play HL then watch all the hl2 videos and tell me which you think will be better. Valve is still going to put out an awsome story with awsome characters, weapons, and enimies. So stop with the bullshit about us hyping it up to much because theres no reason to limit your excitement. If you think it wont be good, then you may be disapointed. Me however, will cry like a sissy mary when i get the game.

Fanboys wont be disapointed at all in my opinion. Some people who havent played HL wont be either. HL2 will exceed HL just because its amazing (no i havent played it, we just all know). Go back and play HL then watch all the hl2 videos and tell me which you think will be better. Valve is still going to put out an awsome story with awsome characters, weapons, and enimies. So stop with the bullshit about us hyping it up to much because theres no reason to limit your excitement. If you think it wont be good, then you may be disapointed. Me however, will cry like a sissy mary when i get the game.

Would you still love it if it REALLY SUCKED??
heh.. Hl2 will be a cool game.. no doubt about that... just.. GIVE ME THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! delays delays

B.Calhoun said:

Here Here.
:cheers:

I get more entertainment value from watching the Half-Life 2 binks than from playing through Doom 3.

Though i guess i didn't play doom 3 with 133.1 surround sound speakers a, 300 inch cinema projector, a 7 tonne sub-woofer, a night with a full moon, whilst sitting in middle of candles shaped like a pentagram chanting satanic curses!! I didn't experience it the way iD software intended.

Maybe if i had followed those instructions the game wouldn't have got boring after 10 minutes?

I get more entertainment value from watching the Half-Life 2 binks than from playing through Doom 3.

Though i guess i didn't play doom 3 with 133.1 surround sound speakers a, 300 inch cinema projector, a 7 tonne sub-woofer, a night with a full moon, whilst sitting in middle of candles shaped like a pentagram chanting satanic curses!! I didn't experience it the way iD software intended.

Maybe if i had followed those instructions the game wouldn't have got boring after 10 minutes?

You hate DOOM3 beacuse your computer cant handle it!
or beacuse you are a HL fanboy.. Without IDsoftware.. there would not be a Half-Life in the first place... ( uses Quake2 engine )...

If valve could of seriously released this game just months after they announced it, then it would probably live up even way beyond our and it's expectations. Dont get me wrong, it still will. This game will defiantely be game of the year but just how good will it be? He does have a point how HL2 might not live up to how awesome HL was but no matter what it's going to be one hell of a game. I just can't wait to get it in my damn hands and im praying valve calls this game GOLD sometime this week/weekend...wouldn't that be a shocker.

She said:
You hate DOOM3 beacuse your computer cant handle it!
or beacuse you are a HL fanboy.. Without IDsoftware.. there would not be a Half-Life in the first place... ( uses Quake2 engine )...
What does that have to do with Doom 3 being a crap game?

I played it on a Athlon 64 3200+, x800pro, 1024mg of ram. On 1024*768 everything on high 2*AA. Ran well enough.

Hype schmype. The game was a piece of shit imo. Nothing to do with being a Valve fanboy, but it does have a lot to do with expecting more than the standard crap i've been playing for the last 10 years.

If iD just said "This is the same game as Doom 1 except not as many monsters on screen!" then i would have avoided it. Instead they insisted it was a survival horror game? I expected an intelligent, slower paced intriguing game WTF? You just run around blowing up monsters like Doom1/2/every other mindless FPS game out there. At least it could have had vehicles to make the mind numbingly dull gameplay a little more interesting.

Oh ****ing terrric.

Point is Doom 3 sux big fat donkey balls.

BIG GIGANTIC FAT JUICY SWEATY HAIRY BALLS OF AN ASS.

rofl.....

Mr-Fusion said:

I played it on a Athlon 64 3200+, x800pro, 1024mg of ram. On 1024*768 everything on high 2*AA. Ran well enough.

Hype schmype. The game was a piece of shit imo. Nothing to do with being a Valve fanboy, but it does have a lot to do with expecting more than the standard crap i've been playing for the last 10 years.

If iD just said "This is the same game as Doom 1 except not as many monsters on screen!" then i would have avoided it. Instead they insisted it was a survival horror game? I expected an intelligent, slower paced intriguing game WTF? You just run around blowing up monsters like Doom1/2/every other mindless FPS game out there. At least it could have had vehicles to make the mind numbingly dull gameplay a little more interesting.

Oh ****ing terrric.

rofl.....

I agree... :E

Even my good friend, who is an avid gamer, said DOOM 3 was boring (but unlike me, he completed the game).

Kyle: i want it
SubKamran: HL2 sdk will be released to
Kyle: grrr
Kyle: i think HL2 has better textures
Kyle: dooms sucked
SubKamran: after looking again, they're almost the same
Kyle: and i personally didnt see a huge difference between high and low
SubKamran: definitely good enough for me
SubKamran: lol
Kyle: but HL2 is more REAL

Kyle: thats what i want
Kyle: not some crappy indoor envirements that look the same
Kyle: since you never beat it I'll tell you now that textures NEVER CHANGE

Kyle: except for Hell and the last levels
Kyle: when theyer like rock
Kyle: but inside textures are the same
SubKamran: hahha
SubKamran: yah
SubKamran: exactly
Kyle: i mean come on!
SubKamran: thats one thing Far Cry has going...beautiful environments
Kyle: gimme something different

Hype doesnt make a game better, or worse for that matter. Judge when you play the game.

Oh ****ing terrric.

rofl.....

I enjoyed the game... DOOM isn't anything more than an Action Shooter.. i knew that and i loved every second of Doom3.
it.. scared me a bit too.. that was a +..
what did you expect of DOOM3.. ID said that doom3 is DOOM1..

Oh and BTW.. this thread is about Halflife2..
And HL2 shadows SUCK BIG D***

id did a great job on Doom3. They meant for the gameplay to be like that, although they could of done it entirelly different and made it a lot better, but wasn't doom the same way and weren't they remaking it? So yeah they did a great job doing that. I beat it on a high end system and i dont have much to say about it. Good experience. I just hope HL2 will live up to my expectations, i want those moments and feelings were it's been pretty average and bland until i cross into some new territory and then the pumped up music starts getting me all hyped up and blood rushing to find out im about to be slaughtering some soldiers and aliens. That is what i can't wait for....

Well just by watching the binks the gameplay looks to be far more interesting than the 1-dimensional extravaganza Doom 3 gave us.

I can visually see in extreme detail THE EXACT gameplay i'll be experiencing with Half-Life 2. iD software kept the gameplay of Doom 3 hidden for so long, and when they showed it , it was pretty bland, i thought maybe they were saving the good bits for when you actually play the game. Wrong, it didn't get any more interesting than spamming demons with machine guns in corridors.

I think my Half-Life 2 hype is in check because i know what i'm getting. I'm not imagining all these cool scenarios in the game because clearly Valve have already done all the imagining for me.

What was cool about Half-Life other than the fun gameplay to me, was the experience. In 2 years they researched all these things that existed in the real world and put it in the game. I don't know how many of you have been in a research facility, I haven't; the one in half-life definitely convinced me. The tram system, the elevators, everything in the game was immersive, it was different. You were going into a world you had never seen before and you felt like you were there. The graphics weren’t great but the idea of it was.

With Half-Life 2, they had 3-4 years of researching ideas. They probably looked up newer better things about the real world that they could put in. They probably looked up brand new scientific theories and implemented them into hl2, like that zero point gun. I think that you’re going to experience so many new things in hl2 that it will make you forget about the hype and the original half-life. The Source engine will present all these new ideas to us way better than half-life could have.

From all the hype, all we know is great physics and great graphics. We think we know to what extent they might use the graphics and physics, but we don’t know for sure. If they just have great textures and physics and no new ideas to drive the game, it might not go that far. I hope that doesn’t happen though. I hope hl2 surprises us with something new when we play it. I really, really hope that the review pcgamer is gonna have in its next issue is for hl2. Gaming is going down to an all-time low, I want just one game that’s gonna be different.

B.Calhoun said:

Thats quite possibly the worse argument ever.
"HL2 will exceed HL just because it's amazing" ?

Daamn budy, even Harvard Law School couldnt turn you around. lol.

Please, don't call my feeling, my thought, my expression, my OPINION; bullshit. That's just points to another JoesLucky22 state of mind. And we all know what number to associate with Joe, but "we won't go there".

vicefredav444 said:
What was cool about Half-Life other than the fun gameplay to me, was the experience. In 2 years they researched all these things that existed in the real world and put it in the game. I don't know how many of you have been in a research facility, I haven't; the one in half-life definitely convinced me. The tram system, the elevators, everything in the game was immersive, it was different. You were going into a world you had never seen before and you felt like you were there. The graphics weren’t great but the idea of it was.

With Half-Life 2, they had 3-4 years of researching ideas. They probably looked up newer better things about the real world that they could put in. They probably looked up brand new scientific theories and implemented them into hl2, like that zero point gun. I think that you’re going to experience so many new things in hl2 that it will make you forget about the hype and the original half-life. The Source engine will present all these new ideas to us way better than half-life could have.

From all the hype, all we know is great physics and great graphics. We think we know to what extent they might use the graphics and physics, but we don’t know for sure. If they just have great textures and physics and no new ideas to drive the game, it might not go that far. I hope that doesn’t happen though. I hope hl2 surprises us with something new when we play it. I really, really hope that the review pcgamer is gonna have in its next issue is for hl2. Gaming is going down to an all-time low, I want just one game that’s gonna be different.

This however, is a really GOOD argument. HL2 will be good in that aspect, its gonna be different. AMen.

HL2 will obviously be a better game then Half-Life but the real argument is whether it'll get as many raving reviews and game of the year awards as Half-Life.

Ya know what, thats why people call this game "overrated" (god I hate that F****** word), because too many people have too high of expectations. I'm telling you this, if you are expecting too much out of this game, then you play it and are disappointed, that is your fault, go play crappy halo 2 if you have doubts.

Sparta said:
HL2 will obviously be a better game then Half-Life but the real argument is whether it'll get as many raving reviews and game of the year awards as Half-Life.

Elaborate. You say obvious. Yet no ones played it. How is this obvious? I don't wanna seem like I'm provoking an argument, I just want you to stick up for what you really believe.

Spoonoop said:
Ya know what, thats why people call this game "overrated" (god I hate that F****** word), because too many people have too high of expectations. I'm telling you this, if you are expecting too much out of this game, then you play it and are disappointed, that is your fault, go play crappy halo 2 if you have doubts.

I'm just saying that if Half-Life were released today using the Source engine that it would get mediocre reviews. And that Half-Life 2 looks to be much more satisfying then running through the corridors of Black Mesa

She said:
Oh and BTW.. this thread is about Halflife2..

Well, considering that shadows basically made Doom 3 what it is (face it, without the constant darkness it wouldn't have anything going for it), that's not really surprising. I liked the game in its own way, it was nice to see the monsters from the first two Doom games and all. So, I think those people who had fun with Doom/Doom 2 and wanted to re-live it a bit had fun with Doom 3.

Half-Life 2, on the other hand, isn't supposed to be a scary in the dark shooter and so it can live without perfect CPU-hogging shadows. I somewhat agree on the original topic, though. I don't think the game has been widely over-hyped by either Valve or any gaming sites, but the fans. I have little doubt that it will be a great game, but I do doubt that it can "revolutionize" the genre any more. It looks to have a great story, an engine capable of many more things than older games (obviously), more advanced physics, etc. But really, these are just improvements on things that already exist and nothing mind blowing.

Still, it's hard for anyone, I think, to say how many people will be let down. I would actually say that most who post here, at least, realize that the game will just be a great game, but not a godsend to the FPS community, so to speak.

This is certainly true for me. I played most of Doom 3, and yes, I thought the graphics were stunning (although a little bit too shiny for a facility like that) and loved all of the eye candy. It was fairly scary in the beginning (I loved it when that beast tried to break in through the door but it went through the window instead), but after awhile (a couple hours), it got very repetitive. It was always monsters coming out from nowhere behind you and having them jump at you when you open something; although one of my favorites was when that spider came crawling up from behind that monitor.

Anyway, there were some things in that game that were neat, but the lack of a good multiplayer, lack of a good storyline, lack of physics-use, lack of scariness throughout just made it not as impressive as I thought it was going to be. While everyone says id just wanted it to be a great shoot 'em up, why didn't they just focus on that instead? Maybe something along the lines of Painkiller.

what did you expect of DOOM3.. ID said that doom3 is DOOM1..
The problem is that Doom 1's formula just isn't good enough anymore (my opinion still). I was hoping they were going to make it better than just "Doom 1 with pretty graphics."

Yeah, they don't have the dynamic shadows like Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow or Doom 3 did, but it's going to have good bump mapping to make up for it as well as a better atmosphere (those Bink movies made me tingle with excitement even when there were no dynamic shadows).

With Half-Life 2, they had 3-4 years of researching ideas
Exactly, this is the kind of thing I'm looking forward to. I saw all those pictures of the real environments they were mapping it after, and it makes you hope/think they will go into this much detail for the majority of the aspects in Half-Life 2.

No, I'm not a Half-Life 2 fanboy, and I agree with Razorblade here that it will not meet some people's expectations. I have already seen some things I'm a little disappointed in already, but I'm hoping this will all change when I'm actually Hordon Freeman running around in City-17 throwing a stolen grenade to take out a security turret by knocking it on its side which caused it to actually go bonkers and take out one of my scientist colleagues.

I also can't understand why some people say "Yeah, Half-Life 2 won't show us anything new." Well, just by those Bink videos, I saw a few things that were new and pretty revolutionary. Example being the facial animations. I've only seen this in things like Shrek where each frame was rendered by powerful computers, not where it was in real-time with me being able to interact with it. The G-Man was very convincing. Something that is not revolutionary, but innovative, is "physics deaths." I mean the only way you can stop that turret is by tipping it on its side; what other 3 dimensional game requires you to kill something only with physics (I haven't taken a lot of time to think about this, there might be some others)?

Anyway, I've gone on long enough. I think Half-Life 2 will be fun, hoping it will be extremely immersive, and these are just my opinions, I could be wrong.

Morgue said:
Well, just by those Bink videos, I saw a few things that were new and pretty revolutionary. Example being the facial animations.

I think the little confusion is in the word "revolutionary". Facial animations existed for erm, a very long time. They just weren't very good. Valve improved them for their game and made them be fairly life-like. So it's a huge improvement, but nothing revolutionary (ie: new).

Although now that I think about it, the one "new" thing would be the physics interactions. Games had their ragdolls and movable crates and things, but nothing quite like ripping a metal letter from a building and shooting it ;)

Facial animations existed for erm, a very long time. They just weren't very good. Valve improved them for their game and made them be fairly life-like
I knew I should have been more specific. I meant revolutionary in the sense that, while there have been facial animations before (early Nintendo games where mouths opened and closed), Half-Life 2 has it so Alyx can wink and smile and get pissed all in an active gaming environment. This means you can look at it from all angles, maybe cause them to be interrupted and tell you off for it (example being Dr. Kleiner and the monitor). They can move cheek bones, teeth, eyebrows, etc. while you're playing the game; it's not a movie camera stuck in one position with a linear dialogue.

Sure, I can put your same twist right back on your physics' statement. Yes, physics have been done before where you can move objects all over the place, even with guns (Painkiller, Max Payne 2), that's why it isn't really all that revolutionary, just innovative, more or less.

I waited 5 long years for hl2, not for the physics or super high res textures, but for their idea of gaming to make a come back. The ultra high res textures and physics are definitely good; made my jaw drop last year and still does to this day.

Hl2 will be the same as Half-life in that they both will have a central idea. Half-life you have the research facility, teleportation, xen, and other stuff, complete immersion. Let’s hope hl2 will have some really ingenious ideas driving it, ideas that will knock us off our socks. The game can be at the same level as half-life, as long as its different, its allready something we didn't expect.

I bet John Carmack was banging his head on the table going "god, why didn't I think of that" when he saw half-life at e3. It’s all up to valve's imagination now. We already know we're gonna get great graphics and physics. I hope we experience one crazy thing after another happening that will make us smile and forget about our expectations, not just with the physics and stuff but also with the story.

I agree with razor in some respects. When you begin to reach "perfection" most of the time.... all of the time, the smaller details will throw you off. I'd like to note that VALVe could still, very easily shock us again. For example, the first game was a hit because of its storyline. The engine came second, graphics wern't as good as some of the other engines coming out (quake 3, unreal) but the story is what really grabbed you. So, I believe that for the "fanboys" as razor so eliquently put it, might be let down, but for those who have been waiting for another great story to come along, the game probably won't dissapoint.

-Will.

but for those who have been waiting for another great story to come along, the game probably won't dissapoint.
Well I hope you're right, because this is definitely one of the prominent aspects I am looking forward to in Half-Life 2.

I also want to point out that the thread title is a bit pessimistic (not that this is a bad thing, this promotes a good debate topic, and I'm sure that's a reason it was stated that way). I like to look at Half-Life 2 as being another smashing game, just like the first, not choosing which one is better.

Back