[WIP]cs_mansion *Teaser*

I'm considering doing that (adding a basement) too, probably utilising the room on the first floor which is to the left of the back door because at the moment, that room has no use whatsoever. I'd put the hostage there as well.

About the front door entering I think it's not as difficult now because there's 4 windows instead of 2 now so you could just toss a smoke grenade in anyhow.

Yeah I just thought that if you encourage people to use the front door as well it'll add realism. Not just people crouch jumping through windows, being slowed down to 1/4 speed and being completely 0wned in the process. Getting people to use the front door will balance it out a bit because they'll have more manouvrebility when entering + they don't have to cross the window cover.

That's another thing, are you sure that 4 windows is a wise idea? It could just turn it into a total camp-fest aim_map with Ts rushing to get to the windows and CTs camping behind the wall. Also think about all the angles that get opened up when you add the windows, it might not be helping the CTs as much as you think.

Well if it doesn't work well during the beta test then I'll just change it

ok the new screens are looking good - one tip: you shouldnt have put "teaser" in the title until you had either more shots or more of the map done...Other WIP threads are nearly completed maps...

Its looking good though.Will you please try to make the house more realistic than it was in CS (original). No-one could have lived there and there were about three rooms of actual use...Not even a kitchen!!

sabre0001 said:
ok the new screens are looking good - one tip: you shouldnt have put "teaser" in the title until you had either more shots or more of the map done...Other WIP threads are nearly completed maps...

Its looking good though.Will you please try to make the house more realistic than it was in CS (original). No-one could have lived there and there were about three rooms of actual use...Not even a kitchen!!

I am putting a kitchen this time ;)

Progress Update :

csmansion140hr.jpg

csmansion135kr.jpg

I wasn't sure on your abilities (Previous shots apart from CT spawn looked like crap) but I have to say that it looks quite well now.

Dead-Inside said:
I wasn't sure on your abilities (Previous shots apart from CT spawn looked like crap) but I have to say that it looks quite well now.

Well just to let you know this is my first serious map (took more than 2 weeks).

navyseal2004 said:
Well just to let you know this is my first serious map (took more than 2 weeks).

Well the front of the mansion had bushes and not stonewalls as a kind of maze. It was arranged like that to embue status for the residents, like you would IRL. In your map, you've turned it in to a non-symetrical playground/concrete yard.

This doesn't fit and I think you should change it around ... a lot.

There are no appropriate bush models in CSS and I don't intend to make them like chateau's because they look like shit.

And no offence to you but, in all the threads I've seen, you've done nothing but critisize. (And I've yet to see you post a map of your own..)

The Dark Elf said:
So you showed some of your map to stop people from making a map like yours?

Wouldn't it have been better to simply have not shown anything then, then they couldn't steal idea's :)

Stop frontin... :p
why would you obther anyway

navyseal2004 said:
There are no appropriate bush models in CSS and I don't intend to make them like chateau's because they look like shit.

And no offence to you but, in all the threads I've seen, you've done nothing but critisize. (And I've yet to see you post a map of your own..)
It's called constructive critizism. I'm not putting anyone down for the sole reason to put them down.

I'd rather have someone tell me the truth then to lie or not reply at all, and as that's the case, I'll just give out my thoughts of what can be improved. If you want to see my first and (to date) only map there's a nice little thread called fy_glassed. It's not pretty, not even near anything I'd call "my skills" but the gameplay is awesome if someone would just host it :). (My testruns on my own computer were hughly popular, and that's with moderate lagg).

Edit: Oh, and the bushes might not exist yet but why not create some? It should be possible as there's already bush-kind sprites and alike in HL2/CSS and well... Never mind it might not be worth the trouble. I don't like the fact that, 1. It's not symetrical or even near as it was in the original and 2. It doesn't look proper, like it would embue status for the resident. But whatever, I'm sure the rest of the map will be to my liking, judgning from the screenshots.

navyseal2004 said:
I am putting a kitchen this time ;)

YAY kitchen...I loved the original map (although it could be a little unbalanced)...I agree with that post about using doors instead of crouch-jumpin through windows...

CAnt wait to play!!!

For the pillars I suggest you make a displacementmap and then subdivide. Will make them look much better. And you should have them all look the same and not all with foot except by the entrence. It doesn't look right. (It's quite a disturbance actually).

The conference room chairs should not be as symetrical like they are right now but above that they look awesome.

Maybe you should concider adding some nightfog to the outside? Might do a good effect.

Dead-Inside said:
For the pillars I suggest you make a displacementmap and then subdivide. Will make them look much better. And you should have them all look the same and not all with foot except by the entrence. It doesn't look right. (It's quite a disturbance actually).

Maybe you should concider adding some nightfog to the outside? Might do a good effect.

How do I do that?

I havent read the entire thread, but I already released cs_mansion for cs source so you had better come up with a different name for it.

DjBourgeoisie said:
I havent read the entire thread, but I already released cs_mansion for cs source so you had better come up with a different name for it.
You should have read the thread.

The map is looking really nice! I would love to have it when it comes out for our LAN games at work!

Good luck finishing it :).

Timech

Progress Update :

csmansiontoilet2bf.jpg

P.S. The map should be done *keeps fingers crossed* by next week. There will be one beta test (which is only open to Singaporeans) and after that the final version will be released.

umm.. thats a FRIGGING big toilet there :cheese: put more stuff there, it looks like hall.

yeah still lookin good ^^i agree though, add more to the bathroom r make it a smaller room^^

Also agree about making the pillars at the front of the house look better...but yeah - lookin cool.

Viceman said:
umm.. thats a FRIGGING big toilet there :cheese: put more stuff there, it looks like hall.

Yeah, I know. I'm still working on it. Any ideas?

You do know there are toilet models available for cs source and hl maps right?

*edit* just saw previous page, whats wrong with that toilet, looks fine to me.

I have a few suggestions for you, instead of having open doorways, put in some arches so the walls dont go straight up to the ceiling, it doesnt look good. The lights you have in the bathroom picture shouldnt be sitting out of the ceiling, they are meant to sit in them so make a cutout and fit them in. I personally dont care of the textures you have in alot of areas inside the house, they seem to collide instead of give that nice transition look from room to room. Not a bad map though keep it up.

Maybe you should rename it to cs_abandonedmansion.

Becuase these people have some shitty ass walls/floors (bathroom in particular lol)

Homless Snark said:
Maybe you should rename it to cs_abandonedmansion.

Becuase these people have some shitty ass walls/floors (bathroom in particular lol)

I don't see what's wrong with the floors.

Just look at your house and see what kinds of materials are used. For me most of the rooms have carpet flooring, and wallpaper, not huge tiles for the floors.

DjBourgeoisie said:
I have a few suggestions for you, instead of having open doorways, put in some arches so the walls dont go straight up to the ceiling, it doesnt look good. The lights you have in the bathroom picture shouldnt be sitting out of the ceiling, they are meant to sit in them so make a cutout and fit them in.

How's this?

csmansionarc5zk.jpg

Looks really good, especcially the last screen :)
Keep up the good work mate!:D

Some comments:

- The last screen: Nice but put another wooden trim over the top

- The pillars: I had an idea for this. If you put a very small "fence" around the edge of the platform they're all standing on it will cover the bottoms of the pillars (from the front) and you can lose the pillar bases (which don't look all that good to me)

- Any particular reason you have to finish the map by next week. If you stick to that schedule I can tell you that it'll lack detail, there's no reason to rush it. Finish the brushwork and alphatest it yourself. Just walk through the map very slowly, looking at every detail and see what you notice. The problem with map testing "live" is that you won't get many people who'll comment on the brushwork, as they'll be too concerned about the game, only mentioning if you can rush point B from point A too quickly, etc.
Also when you're walking around you can think a lot about the angles you're providing in the map. Put yourself in a position and count how many angles you could be shot from. There needs to be a good mix of places with few angles (cover) and places with high angles to encourage the team to work together when assaulting, while also stopping the terrorists from completely owning, turning the map into a shootout.

Give it some thought and don't ever feel pressured to finish the map if you think there's more that could be done.

Very true, I think I'll take your advice. I won't rush the map. I'll just follow Valve, the map is coming soon ;)

hey man, im really look foward to your map and it looks amazing, but if you could, maybe a few more teaser updated screenies =P

You need to make a new floor, the dust floor is the dust floor. Not a home floor.

Id like the dust floor in home lol, but maybe if used a little less it would be good, but a good looking custom texture would be welcomed

navyseal2004 said:
Yeah, I know. I'm still working on it. Any ideas?

hmm.. maybe you should split the room and use one half for toilet and other half like... house cleanging closet.. or somehting u know? ;)

That's probably a good idea. Have the toilets on one side and in the other room have the water cistern or a cleaning cupboard. On the other hand you could just make an inaccessible room and have it as your easter egg with kudos to the original mapper of cs_estate, (Tofu_X I think?).

With the bath room you should cut off the bath with a wall, and then put (i forgot the name of it :p) ummm curtain thingy that covers the bath, as a texture.

w......a......l........lW
h
t
a--------------------a
B
w...a...l...l----------l
door
w.......a........l........l

If you get what i mean? :p

i was flicking through PC Gamer (UK) the other day and they had a top 5 user created maps and cs_mansion was there - is this it???

If so, congrats...

Back