WIP: Desert Eagle .50

Recoil

Reaction score
missing parts: magazine, aiming-stuff on slide (no idea what's that in english ;(), safety-button on slide, hammer

i know about the clipping-errors, i'll get of'em soon...

polycount: around 2200

any crits/suggestions yet?

de01.jpg

de02.jpg

de03.jpg

de04.jpg

the modelling is ok. but the gun doesnt represent the sweetness of the .50AE. i know it an oveused gun and its very popular. but i love it still. I'd like to see your reference pic.
the thing that looks weirdest is the grip

hmm.. thats about 4400 tryangles right. and thats what hl2 works with. not poly's so your gun is a bit heavy. i suggest removing the giggets. that can be textured

depends, if you count polys in editable mesh it's roughly twice the count in editable poly. The count in editable mesh is the same as counting faces. or at least thats waht i have experienced.

/probably should crit the gun. It's a good looking model. The grip could use some work flushing it out and rounding it. the grooves on the slide can be added with a texture so they are wasted polys ATM. The hole in the barrell is unneccesary since it can be textured in. other than that. looks good.

hmmmmm, nothing special. Well except the desert egale special 5.0 lol. But its prity good.

this was no question about wether you like the eagle or not o_O

i wanted suggestions how to make it better... ok, i'll see what i can do about the grip... looks normal to me... got a real-life reference here... looks pretty similar, maybe rendered badly. i'll get up some wire-only pics.
and the poly-count... pfff... it's hl2 what do you expect?^^ maybe 400-500 polys comin with the rest. i like it detailed.

the barrel hole has to be :) i hate texture tricks...

just b/c it's HL2 doesn't mean you have to waste polies

na, i won't be wasting polies! can't you read that this is work in progress? i wanted sug's on the shape... will be optimized after all parts are complete

I think it's coming along nicely. Some wires would help us crit it a little more though.

I've actually been working of a DE as well, but there were a few parts I couldn't find refrences (under the slide and such). Your model helped clear that up a little. Thanks!

Don't use another person's model as reference unless you can't find any pictures of the gun... and that is definately not the case with the Desert Eagle:
Desert Eagle Image Gallery

Also, the polycount seems quite high for a pistol considering that there are still several parts missing...

Here is a picture of some of the things that seem odd to me in the model's current state:

EDIT: The first statement was to Chimera.

well, OCybrManO, that's what i call a good crit :)

1. the 'riffles' on the slide are ok that way, i'd say. maybe not like the real ones, but i'll have a look...

2. "Should be rounded(...)" ok, will look up that one too...

3. the hole isn't that big, really. take a look at http://www.zvis.com/dep/depimgtmpl.shtml?/images/guns/dep16.jpg

4. uuuhm, the stuff under the barrel... ok differs a little from mine... will maintain it.

i don't mind if someone uses my models as reference... at least when the refs are minor

What I meant before is that I never had found a picture of it with the slide back, so I didn't know how exactly the barrel attached to the rest of the gun.

*edit

Thanks for the links

The riffles are too deep, check this
Deseteaglechrome.jpg

some thing´s to think about there, the hole is definately that big, 12.7mm to be exact.

I know the hole is big... but it seems like the thickness of the side of the barrel is slightly lower on the model... but, as I said, it could very well be the render.

Could you post a wireframe? I'm interested to see what those rifles did to the geometry.

i'm sorry to say, but that's ALOT of wasted polies
especialy the barrel and the grip

yeah. You dont need to model the hole @ the front because it isnt going to bee seen anyway. so thats wasted. and some parts are WAY to round. alot can be done with normal maps, bumpmaps and shaders.

It's a great model, but a lot of wasted poly's, most of them seem to be quads, so I guess 4000 tri's. A pistol doesn't even need that much, only detailed geometry and vehicles.
And besides DE AE.50 doesn't quite win the Nobel price for originality.
No offence though, good model but not (yet) for HL2.

dude's... i said i'll optimize it when its done!

and please, no more arguement about the barrel-hole... :)

ryan, i already thought about the originality, too. but since matrix reloaded (NO discussion about THAT now, plz ^^) i started to like it again...

you shoud be "optimizing" while you are modeling, not afterwards
i mean what's the use of a 50 sided barrel if you're gonna remove it anyway

Back