WIP-thread.

Hipshot

Reaction score
Is it possible for us to have a stickey WIP-thread maybe? A common sight in mapping forums these days...

Just make a thread and post some screenshots of your WIP.

I find that those threads get so huge that they are hard to navigate,,

how about a WIP sub-forum?

Its more that, I think that a stickey WIP is better than a thread for everyones WIP, just look at the steam forums, also, when the thread gets to large, like 50+ pages, it can be unsticked and locked and a new one can be made. This forums might not be as crowed as others, and thats why a WIP by its own would work I think :)

I think a WIP thread is a good idea. It's an easy way to look through what everyone else is doing and see what you need to improve on. It's better than having someone post a new thread about there map each time, that way you don't have to look through a bunch of different threads. And sometimes people don't feel like doing that, so your WIP might be totally ignored, but if you put them all in one WIP thread than everyone can see everyone elses's WIP's in one place, and give eachother critiques and motivation.

Here's 2 screenies of my remake of cs_mansion :

csmansion00141bx.jpg

csmansion00172qa.jpg

are you like... a payed pro mapper for valve... thats amazing dude :D

no, apparently he's just someone who's never seen a map before

Penguin929 said:
^nice, did you make those other models yourself?

yes. I still plan on working on all the textures some more, and I have some more models to make.

The layout is sweet but the buildings are plain and there's no (obvious) ground displacement.

It's WIP I know but I'm just poiting out.

Anyway, layoutwise I think you've succeeded.

nice- theres not many people that make their own models and textures. keep up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calxx
are you like... a payed pro mapper for valve... thats amazing dude :D

Are you serious?
I think is good and i was just being over the top on purpose, just to settle things out.

Yeah i like the map yet it looks a little blocky (probably the angle) and i was wondering if your planning on having the power buttons like the original which i loved :)

I doubt I'll be having the light switch things because of 2 reasons.

1. If the light is turned off, the model of the light will still be lit.

2. The only switch that looks like a switch is the Combine button thingy. Don't think it would suit a mansion :D

And about the blockyness, well, the map isn't done yet. I haven't really worked on the terrain. I'm focusing on the interior at the moment. I'm also trying to figure out how to get a 3D skybox to work. In terms of the atmosphere, there is still work to do, and I'll keep posting pics as I add new stuff.

navyseal2004 said:
... I'm also trying to figure out how to get a 3D skybox to work. In terms of the atmosphere, there is still work to do, and I'll keep posting pics as I add new stuff.

theres an example map of 3D skyboxes that comes with the SDK...thats how I learned.. and if all else fails..I (or someone more skilled than me) can show you how with video capture.

I made one of the windmills for my cartoony ROSE Online inspired map. I've still got the tower to do.

Yay! I finally got the 3D skybox to work. Here's a test result :)

csmansion00285ct.jpg

Could someone tell me though, how I could put a water tower up in those hills? Because at the moment, I can't find any skybox water towers and I don't know how to make the full sized ones smaller. I've seen it being done in HL2 Single player so I suppose it can be done in CS:S too.

If its done in SP I'd assume there is a skybox water tower out there somewhere.

Here's a map that I just started working on, which will be released a little later than mansion :

defaber00003um.jpg

yes..i REALLY want some cars that arent blown up...possably a white terrorist van? :)

Mansion looks pretty good navyseal2004, but I like the look of you newer map better. Mansion looks too gray, but your new map has a lot more style to it, even though it's so early on.

Here's an update and some more info on my map. It's going to be called de_sonora. It's supposed to be located in the southwestern US (in the Sonora desert). I didn't try to make it relevent to the modern world in the way that most valve maps are made, were there are cars and various other modern inventions. I just wanted to create a fun wild west type environment, of a professional quality. I'm pretty much finished with all the building details. I need to work on the lighting and fix some bugs. I'm going to add some more props to make it less dull, and I'll just be tweaking a bunch of things to make it better. Anyways, here's the overview of the map:
dewesttest00166ms.jpg

Here's most of the models that I made for the map. Render didn't come out great.
propswest5jm.jpg

CT spawn/ A site

Middle between A and B

Graveyard

Ranch

Fork-left towards B Right towards A

B site

Thing/ alley

la Iglesia

Thanks, about the greyishness, well, I simply can't find any other suitable texture for a the mansion (tell me if you do know of one) so I picked the stone one. I thought it was the most suitable.

And your map looks brilliant, very original. It's a bit blocky though so you might wanna work on that aspect.

I really hope that you never intend to be an interior designer.

Well, you could at least give me tips on how to make the toilet look better. I'm stuck at it.

Its more of your choice of props and textures navyseal. Use bathroom tiles etc, things you normally find in a bathroom. It looks more like a castle with the rug and furniture you have in there ;)

Toilet isn't touching the ground :)

Back