Wood effects look upgraded compared to older binks

hegele

Reaction score
One thing I didn't paticularly like during the old traptown video was the effects of boarded up wood breaking in two when Gordon hit them with the crowbar. The scene i'm thinking of is right before he enters the roof hovering over the combine.

When you look at it, all thee of the different boards break the same and all have the same delay of flying back. In the new Ravenhold video, Gordon hits the wooden boards and they break and fall in phyisical glory! It looks very realistic now, check it out!

I know, that was amazing imo. :p I was like, "whoa, the wood breaks where you hit it!"

The delayed reaction in the old video was due to a bug in the demo file used.

The crowbar seems to have been tweaked to, and they have finnally added all the correct sounds to every object, e3-2003 everything sounded like a metal cage, now we got splintery sounds and good shiz!

The animation of [ Crowbar attack ] sux.. to hasty movments..
i hope it is a E3 thing..

She said:
The animation of [ Crowbar attack ] sux.. to hasty movments..
i hope it is a E3 thing..

It would seem if you were carrying a 20lb crowbar that you'd be pretty slow with it :D

However, it's a game...and I like the fast movements.

However, it's a game...and I like the fast movements.

Youre right.. hasty is more fun... but the animation still suck... hes just pointing the crowbar and the wood breakes. sometimes he swings it.. but not so often.

yeah, the crowbar animation blows. i emailed gabe about it like a year ago :D it looks like a little retarded 8 year old girl swinging with her left hand.

Yeah it'd be cool if Gordon took a "real" swing. About the wood though, If you've played through the hardware test level with Counterstrike: Source you would've seen that you can shoot and break those planks of wood coming out of the water. The problem being it when you shoot it and it breaks, no matter where you busted it it breaks in the one spot. Probably old stuff, 'cause I've seen in the videos where wood breaks in different parts.

She said:
Youre right.. hasty is more fun... but the animation still suck... hes just pointing the crowbar and the wood breakes. sometimes he swings it.. but not so often.
Yeah he kinda pushes the crowbar forward doesnt he

which video is this??? and where can i find it..i've had no luck with this...

Yes, ever since I saw the crowbar attack I've thought it was stupid. He doesn't actually swing it at anything, either downwards or sideways, it's just more of a straight shove towards the object. Which wouldn't really do much to the target, I don't think, unless Gordon/HEV suit is incredibly strong/powerful.

crowbar animation is gay - i remember gabe saying something about it not being final but it loooks like it is - its just retarted how he POKES with the damn crowbar

My favorite part about the wood, for some reason, is how at one point it breaks lengthwise, which is awesome and means that there are more possibilities of breakage for each piece of wood than just splitting it in half one way.

These videos are not new........months old, and I think the wood breaking looks exactly the same.

PoiSoNSpiDeR said:
crowbar animation is gay - i remember gabe saying something about it not being final but it loooks like it is - its just retarted how he POKES with the damn crowbar

In terms of sexual orientation, the crowbar seems to perfer men over women.

or vice-versa, depending on the gender of said crowbar.

"My favorite part about the wood, for some reason, is how at one point it breaks lengthwise, which is awesome "

This thread is funny

Heh, its funny to think about breaking wood like that with a crowbar. You'd be hard pressed to splinter a thick wood plank with a crowbar. Hehe.

But i like it the way it is in game.

brightgreen said:
Hahaha, you said that "Wood effects look upgraded", lol

:p

0NLY 29.99 F0R THR33 M0NTHS W0RTH 0F V14GrA!! ONLY FROM CHEAPEMEDS29.ORG/112

Kazuki_Fuse said:
Yeah it'd be cool if Gordon took a "real" swing. About the wood though, If you've played through the hardware test level with Counterstrike: Source you would've seen that you can shoot and break those planks of wood coming out of the water. The problem being it when you shoot it and it breaks, no matter where you busted it it breaks in the one spot. Probably old stuff, 'cause I've seen in the videos where wood breaks in different parts.

Yea, and when you shoot and break the planks the gibs left behind arn't simulated! If you shoot them the bullets just go right though! And after a few seconds they just randomly disapear!!!

The crowbar is such a quick push because otherwise there would be a delay between pressing attack and seeing the result. It's safe to say that Valve made a gameplay decision to favour fast player direction response than something overly realistic.

If Freeman did take a big swing there would be a significant delay and I'm willing to bet most people would winge and say it feels sloppy, or laggy. Suck it up.

Back