World Cup of Hockey

Dr. Freeman

Reaction score
it started yesterday with Finland scoring a victory over the Czech Republic team by a score of 4-0 :)

so whos watching this tourney? i love hockey and will be glued to the tube for all of Team Canada's games and perhaps even watch games with other teams involved ;)

who are u cheering for, and why?
me? Team Canada of course.. gotta be loyal to my country.. besides how can u not like that line up? :cheese:

if i had to pick a second team.. i'd pick Finland because Miika Kiperusoff played awesome for Calgary in the NHL playoffs and its great seeing him play.

click here for the link to the World Cup of Hockey website for info/stats, scores and schedules!

go Canada!!! :cool:

Yay Canada?

I mean, YAY CANADA!
although Toronto is like HALF american I'm still Canada all the way.

Finland will own you all!!! mwahahah!

USA USA!

GO ROBERT ESCHE!
GO KIM JOHNSSON!
GO JONI PITKANEN!

Go any other Flyer in the tournament I am forgetting.

Haha...I was just thinking "Go Canada!" as soon as I saw the title of this thread...Canada and Ice Hockey seem to be so entwinded, its difficult to tell whats what.

Ch1cKeN said:
Yay Canada?

I mean, YAY CANADA!
although Toronto is like HALF american I'm still Canada all the way.

really? could have fooled me ...btw do you live in toronto? I do

go whatever team is most deserving to win!!! :)

watched the Sweden vs Germany game today on CBC.
Sweden, with the exception of goalie Tommy Salo looked good.
Salo couldn't stop a beach ball if his life depended on it!! :LOL:

anyway final score was 5-2 in favour of the Swedes.. forwards wise.. that team is scary.. and if their young goalie Mikael Tellqvist can give any decent goaltending.. they can win :)

anyway, USA vs Canada tonight @7PM EST on CBC and ESPN2
should be a good one :thumbs:

CptStern said:

ur from Toronto Stern? whereabouts? im near the outskirts of Toronto, in the Brampton area.. by HWY#7 and HWY#50 :)

i miss the downtown area.. :(

Canada is dominating.. but that's what I expect because of the differences in talent levels.

Martin St. Louis scores!! :cheers:
1-0 in favour of Canada after first period of play :)

btw ShadowFox u forgot Simone Gagne :p
one other thing, the Flyers are not part of this tourney :p :E

Dr. Freeman said:
ur from Toronto Stern? whereabouts? im near the outskirts of Toronto, in the Brampton area.. by HWY#7 and HWY#50 :)

i miss the downtown area.. :(

You're near the 410 and hwy 7 right? hwy 50 leads to heart lake if I'm not mistaken , havent been up that way in awhile
I live in the yonge and finch area but I've lived closer to downtown in the st clair and bathurst area. I love downtown, just cant afford to live there, homes are averaging 400 k for a semi detached :eek:

Canada wins.. but on a dodgy goal.

Oh well.. gg Canucks.

Hehe!! We won! Good job team :) It was a good match, I liked the fight hehe, nobody can touch Brodeur :)

As many of you know, Canada won 2-1 over the USA, but I believe that game could easily have been 5-1.....So I'm not worried.

How often are these "World Cups/Canada Cups" being held? Every 5 year or something? I don't remember there being a World Cup for a long time...

Anyway, I have a feeling Canada will win. You seem to pwn everyone when it comes to hockey. Except....Soviet Union was way better than anyone back in its days. (~1970-1989)

The reason the Soviets were better (well, in some cases) were that, especially in the Olympics, the Soviets had a Army hockey team, and they were basicly like professionals because they didn't have a pro league over there...but in North America we did...so our players were not our best, but the Soviets were sending their best.

But that wasn't always the case, like in the Summit Series, that was the best against the best I think..and we won.

As for how often they have World Cups...the last time there was one was 1996..I don't think there is like a set plan for it...they just decide to have one whenever I think...

I thought Canada played pretty average, considering how poorly the US team played. We had about 10 minutes of sustained pressure.

And say what you will about Brodeur, but Esche was better tonight.

Hooray Canada won!

Too bad I missed the match, but it sounds like I didn't miss too much.

Actually it was a damn good hockey game. A couple of fights in the second and a lot of scoring chances. (particularly for team Canada)

ShadowFox said:
Canada wins.. but on a dodgy goal.

dodgy goal?
it was deflected a few times... anyone who watches hockey knows deflection goals happen.. especially in one goal games such as this one was.. although it could have easily been a 5 or 6 goal game in favour of Canada :)

anyway, seeing Super Mario get into a fight was priceless :LOL:
overall very exciting game and can't wait for tomorrow night's game (err or today's game shall i say :p ) vs Slovakia.

as for this tourney in general its supposed to happen every 4 years but the NHL and Players Association couldn't agree to this tourney in 2000.

assuming the NHL and the Players work out the CBA stuff, we should see this tourney again in 2008.. but right now that would be extremely optimistic :|

btw, Sweden plays at 1PM EST on CBC
and Canada at 7PM EST on CBC

doncha dare miss it!! :E

I don't care if it deflected off of someone's butt.. the fact is about five seconds earlier when it was dumped it, it hit the safety netting and play should have been stopped.

I bet it would have been replayed a thousand times had the roles been reversed.

ShadowFox said:
I don't care if it deflected off of someone's butt.. the fact is about five seconds earlier when it was dumped it, it hit the safety netting and play should have been stopped.

I bet it would have been replayed a thousand times had the roles been reversed.

i frequent 2 very busy hockey site/message boards which have alot of American and Canadian users alike and i have not seen nor heard of what u are talking about.

surely if there was a controversy it would have been front and centre last night and today and usually theres video footage links available there as well.

so unless ur going to provide links to the play in question, im calling sour grapes on u :p

and oh, in the off chance what u said really did happen (which i don't believe :p ) then i guess we are even since in 1996 there was a controversial goal scored vs Canada and the goal still counted ;)

anyway watched the Sweden vs Czech Republic and well most of this game was dominated by Sweden.

it looked like the Czech's were sleep-walking through the first 2 periods and went down 4-0 but then finally woke up in the third period and scored 3 goals and dominated the flow of the game :p

Sweden held on to win 4-3 :thumbs:
Mats Sundin is playing so well :cheers:

tonight: Slovakia vs Canada @7PM on CBC/ESPN2 :)

I don't know about the boards you visit, but at my board a number of individuals agreed. Not to mention JR said the same thing on the ESPN broadcast. I haven't been able to find any replays.. so I will download the whole game just for you.

I don't really care about the result. It was a good game and clearly Canada deserved to win. But I don't like being called a liar.

As for the goal in 1996, indeed it was controversal. But two wrongs don't make a right and this just shows how officiating hasn't improved at all since then. (I would make a case for regression, but that is a seperate topic)

5-1 for Canada. Yay! :D

You have to give the Slovaks credit though. They were matching us stride for stride, except we had the better puck movement. Very entertaining regardless of whatever the score was.

Tomorrow the U.S.A. get their chance to regroup against Russia.
Also Finland vs. Germany.

A True Canadian said:
5-1 for Canada. Yay! :D

You have to give the Slovaks credit though. They were matching us stride for stride, except we had the better puck movement. Very entertaining regardless of whatever the score was.

Tomorrow the U.S.A. get their chance to regroup against Russia.
Also Finland vs. Germany.

i think the big difference was that the Slovaks did not have high calibre goaltending.. i mean when ur facing a goalie like Martin Brodeur, u need to be almost perfect to win.. and neither of the Slovak goalies were NHL calibre.

ur right about the stride for stride comment.. the forwards they have are scary (they had 4 key offensive players injured and not playing right) :O

anyway Canada came out strong and looked strong through the whole game.. Ryan Symth 2 goals :E
anyway tomorrow should be good

game 1 @ 1:30PM Finland vs Germany on CBC/ESPN2
game 2 @ 7PM Russia vs USA on CBC/ESPN2

Dr. Freeman said:
i think the big difference was that the Slovaks did not have high calibre goaltending.. i mean when ur facing a goalie like Martin Brodeur, u need to be almost perfect to win.. and neither of the Slovak goalies were NHL calibre.
Okay, now you're going down. :)

Brodeur is the product of a great defense in NJ, and great defense on the Canadian teams. He does make big stops, but I think we all saw how he was exposed this year since NJ's defense was not up to snuff.

IMO.. Belfour, Richter and definately Roy were all much better than Broduer. The only thing Brodeur outclasses everybody with is puckhandling.

ShadowFox said:
Okay, now you're going down. :)

Brodeur is the product of a great defense in NJ, and great defense on the Canadian teams. He does make big stops, but I think we all saw how he was exposed this year since NJ's defense was not up to snuff.

IMO.. Belfour, Richter and definately Roy were all much better than Broduer. The only thing Brodeur outclasses everybody with is puckhandling.

well we all have our opinions on stuff.
i mean comparing Roy with any other goaltender is almost unfair considering hockey minds think of him as one of the greatest goalies of all time.

as for Belfour? hes won 1 Stanley Cup and dare i say he had a top calibre defense in front of him.. same with Richter.. the Rangers were loaded in '94 when they won the Cup.

Brodeur? sure he has Scotty Niedermayer and Scott Stevens.. but after that as far as the Devils depth goes, they rely on young defensemen to play against NHL talent... not something young players are commonly successful at.

Brodeur goes long stretches without getting shots on goal.. and its well documented how most goalies don't handle that too well.. Brodeur does that regularly with New Jersey even with Team Canada.

but yeah.. think what u will of him.. it doesn't matter.. he has the rings and medal to prove it and still has a few years before its time to retire.

edit: oh and for the record, i was talking about the Slovak goalies trying to play up to the level of Brodeur's NHL standard.. wasn't talking about Belfour, Richter or Roy.

Hey, don't take it the wrong way. I just have an irrational hatred of Brodeur for obvious reasons.

And perhaps I worded it a bit wrong. NJ has always had a solid defense, but the bigger influence is the defensive system than Lemaire first put into place there.

Brodeur certainly has the metal to back his performance up, but he has been on good teams for most of his career. I am much more impressed by Roberto Luongo who has looked amazing at times on an awful Panthers team.

just finished watching the Finland vs Germany game
final score 3-0 for the Finns :)
the outcome of the game was never really in question.. the Finns were pretty much in control through the whole game.. the German crowd was nice and loud tho.. good stuff :thumbs:

so pple in the streets of Finland are probably yelling "Haalintaa Haalintaa Haalintaa!" :LOL:

any pple from Finland here? they should understand that :E

Finland is probably my second favorite team in the tourney.

Notice how the norwegians whistle instead of boo. Wild and crazy stuff.

ShadowFox said:
Finland is probably my second favorite team in the tourney.

Notice how the norwegians whistle instead of boo. Wild and crazy stuff.

yeah :LOL:
i almost thought Europeans were taunting the ref with all that whistling :E
anyway imma go watch the Russia vs USA game now :)

The US team looks old and used up. Sad performance against the Russians. The only one who looked good was my boy Esche.

Go Finland!

CptStern said:

Yes i do live in Toronto.

Etobicoke area, Eglington and Islington.

ShadowFox said:
The US team looks old and used up. Sad performance against the Russians. The only one who looked good was my boy Esche.

Go Finland!

yup that was a pretty sad performance topped off by world class goonery by Keith Tkchuck(sp?)
Esche played well but man.. that third goal a distinct odour to it.. :p

Alexei Kovelev is such an enigma :eek:
the guy can stink the joint one game and then score a beautiful goal like in tonight's game :smoking:

anyway CyberSh33p is probably somewhere saying in his Russian accent "our commies did it our motherland!" :LOL:

Kovalev isn't an enigma.. hes a freakin mutt with talent. :) He is good when he wants to be.

Yes, the third goal was weak, but hell, it was the 45th Russian shot. If they don't beat the Slovaks tomorrow, it will be an early exit for this group of social security collectors.

Yay! Definately a Finland fan, I´m so excited because of the great game Finland has played (expect the 2nd round vs Germany) and the marvelous job of Kiprusoff. We´re going to Sweden with his help, mark my words!

watched the Germany vs Czech Republic game this afternoon and well.. as long as the Czechs weren't gonna sleep-walk through the game, i already knew what the outcome would be and thats exactly what happened.

7-2, Czechs being the victors.

theres a big, big game on Saturday at 1PM EST on CBC between Finland and Sweden. the winner gets to play Germany in the quarter finals and the loser gets that mysterious Czech team :p
should be a very good game :thumbs:

tonight: Slovakia vs. USA @7PM EST on CBC/ESPN2 (this game might get bumped from ESPN2 in favour of college basketball :( )

other notes: major changes to the USA lineup... Brett Hull, Craig Conroy, Robert Eshe and Ken Klee are amoung some of the lineup changes for this game.. young goalie Rick DiPietro in goal :O

Dr. Freeman said:
just finished watching the Finland vs Germany game
final score 3-0 for the Finns :)
the outcome of the game was never really in question.. the Finns were pretty much in control through the whole game.. the German crowd was nice and loud tho.. good stuff :thumbs:

so pple in the streets of Finland are probably yelling "Haalintaa Haalintaa Haalintaa!" :LOL:

any pple from Finland here? they should understand that :E

Actually it's Hallintaa! Hallintaa! Hallintaa! Anyway.. we don't say that anymore :p We say Hyväää Suomi!!!11

And we are going to make sweden regret they didn't keep us when they had the chance.

Back