World Cup of Hockey

MaxiKana said:
Actually it's Hallintaa! Hallintaa! Hallintaa! Anyway.. we don't say that anymore :p We say Hyväää Suomi!!!11

And we are going to make sweden regret they didn't keep us when they had the chance.

:LOL:

just to make it clear: Hallintaa! = owned in Finnish right? :p
so..um why don't u guys use it anymore?

and what does Hyväää Suomi!!!11 mean? ooh i love Finnish101 classes :LOL: :E

are ShadowFox and myself the only ones watching these games here? :eek:

bahh.. come on u Europeans!!! :p
ur teams can win this tourney and ur not even watching? gah

anyway Slovakia vs USA recap.

3-1 in favour of the USA tonight.. Americans finally played well tonight and the new players really stepped in and gave the team energy,

the Slovaks played decently.. but not nearly as good enough to win.. their goalie really kept them in the game pretty much late into the third period.. made big saves :O

anyway depending tomorrow's Canada/Russia outcome, the winner will get Slovakia in a quarter-final matchup and the loser gets USA :E

I'm representing for America. :)

US is going to get annihilated in the quarters I'm afraid. I expect Finland to win in a close one tomorrow.

I haven't been watching these games as closely as I'd have liked these past few days. Mainly because I'm preparing to move to University on Monday. But once I'm settled, I shoud be avle to engage in the conversation more.

(Go Canada!)

ShadowFox said:
I'm representing for America. :)

US is going to get annihilated in the quarters I'm afraid. I expect Finland to win in a close one tomorrow.

as much as i hate ur avatar and ur team of choice, i love u man! :)
we need more pple who love hockey in the US and around the world :p

That's true. Hockey would be more popular in the US if the idiots in the NHL marketted it in areas that can actually support a rink. Two teams in Florida is rediculous. Hockey is very popular in my area, although the NHL isn't. (mainly because the product is so poor)

Why do you hate the Flyers? Broad Street Bullies? Clarkie? Repeated thrashing of the Leafs in the playoffs? :)

ShadowFox said:
Why do you hate the Flyers? Broad Street Bullies? Clarkie? Repeated thrashing of the Leafs in the playoffs? :)

/me cries ;(

don't be hatin' on meh :p
actually i was too young to remember the Broad Street Bullies but god knows i've heard enough about them mafia punks :p

i guess Philly and Toronto have become big rivals in recent years since the switch of the Leafs into the Eastern Conference.. so i guess that.. but really i never liked the Flyers.. i think Hextall did it.. i blame him! :E

besides.. i am very pro-Canadian.. i always cheer for all Canadian teams since theres only 6 of them compared to the 24 American ones.. hmm.

ShadowFox u should come chat over at tmlfans.ca
theres a few Flyers fans there even tho its mainly a Leafs fan site.. but its one of the most balanced hockey sites i know of :)

I've lurked there a few times. I don't think I've visited since I read that being down 2 to nothing in the series made you guys favorites. Now, every team has crackpot fans, and I love the faith.. but that's a little much.

I'll be staying at Flyersphans. The least hockey discussion of any hockey site on the net. :)

I root for all of the Canadian teams except the Leafs and turds. Although Edmonton still leaves a bad taste in my mouth since we probably would have won 2-3 cups in the 80s if not for them. If I had my way there would be 8 Canadian teams (bring back Quebec and Winnipeg) and 12 American teams. Cut down on the southern clubs and ones in oversaturated markets. (ie NY)

As for the Leafs, they obviously need to rebuild, but when is the last time you guys have done that?

And finally, F Tampa Bay. I'm still angry about that.

Today we´re gonna kick some swede-ass :farmer:!

The one thing i hate about this tournament is that the NA-matches come around 2am, so damn late, and i usually have to go to school the next day.

ShadowFox said:
I've lurked there a few times. I don't think I've visited since I read that being down 2 to nothing in the series made you guys favorites. Now, every team has crackpot fans, and I love the faith.. but that's a little much.

I'll be staying at Flyersphans. The least hockey discussion of any hockey site on the net.

I root for all of the Canadian teams except the Leafs and turds. Although Edmonton still leaves a bad taste in my mouth since we probably would have won 2-3 cups in the 80s if not for them. If I had my way there would be 8 Canadian teams (bring back Quebec and Winnipeg) and 12 American teams. Cut down on the southern clubs and ones in oversaturated markets. (ie NY)

As for the Leafs, they obviously need to rebuild, but when is the last time you guys have done that?

And finally, F Tampa Bay. I'm still angry about that.

okay.. u don't sound like as much a Flyers homer as some others i've seen :)

that goal in game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals which did not count really made me angry...i mean in this day and age, one would think with all the technology available, they would get the right call in such an important game.. i believe had that goal been counted, we would not have seen a game 7 :| :hmph: :frown: :angry:

anyway today is a very special day for hockey fans.. its the 32nd anniversary of Russia/Canada matchups in hockey :thumbs:

i know in recent years the USA/Canada rivalry has been more heated but for me Russia/Canada will always be special
where are the Russians here?! :p speak and defend ur team!

anyway game# 1: today @1PM Finland vs Sweden on CBC should be a real good one :cheese:

game# 2: Russia vs Canada @7PM on CBC is gonna be very special as always :)

go Canada!!

Starts in about 55 minutes! Weee!!!1 To bad i'm not there watching it :( Should've bought tickets :(

Oh well, atleast it's live on TV!

And Finland will pwn puny sweden! It's a good thing their hocky uniform is yellow ;)

MaxiKana said:
Starts in about 55 minutes! Weee!!!1 To bad i'm not there watching it :( Should've bought tickets :(

Oh well, atleast it's live on TV!

And Finland will pwn puny sweden! It's a good thing their hocky uniform is yellow ;)

Maxi go back and read a post of mine :p

It basically means "Gooooo Finland!!!!" or "Yaaay Finlaaand!!!!" or something :p can't really translate it.

Scooooorerererer!!!!!!1111

Finland Sweden 1-0 Wooooootototootototototototot

TWO ZERO!!! TWO ZERO FOR FINLAND!!! WOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTtt

3-3 after first period. Good hockey from both teams, refferies a little too strick about some rules... No real fights, some ruffles. More penalties for Finland then Sweden. Hope we win the next period.

3-4 for Finland after 30mins. Kiprusoff plays great and so does Saku Koivu. Pretty much everyone. Not bad from sweden neither.

3-4 for Finland at the end of the 2nd period.

I bet they'll have a moment of silence during the Canada/Russia game.

Nice rough hockey... I like it :)

We do some serious mistakes sometimes though.

Yeah me too, very good :D makes your hearbeat rise. I hope Finland wins.

Baal said:
I bet they'll have a moment of silence during the Canada/Russia game.
It would be the right thing to do. What has happened in Russia is beyond words.

Just got back from sauna and it's still 3-4. Hope Finland wins. The Swedes will probably score a goal on the last minute like always and win on overtime.

Let me just say this. SAATANAN RUOTTALAISET PERKELE! They always do it goddamit!!

Atomi said:
Just got back from sauna and it's still 3-4. Hope Finland wins. The Swedes will probably score a goal on the last minute like always and win on overtime.

Looks like that will happend :(

and

EI VITTU JUMALAUTA SAATANA HELVETIN HURRIT MENKÄÄ KOTIIN!!!11

OMG THIS CAN'T HAPPEN!! HIT A POST ON A EMPTY GOAL!!!!!!

we tied though, germany next :thumbs:

GG Finland!

We needed one more goal to win the group but you didnt let us :) Now we have to take the hard way to the finals...

Thanks for a good game.

Maxi: We already played Germany.. and won :p

YAY! I feel pissed of about the crappy referees, but it´s no matter now, we still go against Germany in the quarterfinals!

HOLY COW IN A SHOEBOX!!! Thank God Finland won though otherwise there would've been f*cking murders. It's always the same shit when we're playing against Sweden. They always screw up so badly towards the end it's just patethic.

Sigh...Murphy's law, eh?

Yeah the referees were crap, but still we "won".

And Maj, so have we and we won em too. Time to win em again.

Hope to see you in the Final, oh what a game that would be...

wow what a great game!!! :cheers:
6 goals in the first period.. WOW :O
who says hockey is boring? eh?

Miikka Kiperusoff played awesome.. and i don't think anyone could blame him for some of those goals.. i mean the Finnish defense let the Swede forwards in on the net through the whole game :p

on the other hand Mikael Tellqvist let in some rather soft goals IMHO.. but he did kinda hold the fort after that fourth goal.. made some big saves :)

the Mats Sundin Daniel Alfredsson and Freddy Modin line has been the most dangerous in the tourney so far... they looked good again today.

anyway 4-4 tie but because Finland has more goals for in the tourney, (13) than Sweden, they win the European pool and get to face Germany in a quarter-final matchup on Monday :E

i bet the Finlanders are yelling "Halintaa Halintaa Halintaa!" :LOL:

anyway in about an hours time its gonna be another good game between Russia and Canada :cheers:

/me does the Billy Red Lyons imatation doncha dare miss it!! :cheese:

great game between Russia and Canada tonight :thumbs:
reminded me of past games between these teams.. the memories.. :)

Marty Brodeur absolutely robbed a few of the Russian players throughout the game.. he is amazing, i was speechless on his save from the partial breakway :O

anyway good team effort, 3-1 in favour of Canada.

next up tomorrow: Russia vs Slovakia @ 7PM on CBC should be good :)

WC update: only 1 game today and it starts in about half hour.

Germany vs Finland quarter-final match
i expect the Finns to be in control right from the start and handily win this game :)

good luck :cheers:

Bah, I'm gonna miss it 'cause I'm moving into residence today. It would be a surprise if Germany can hold their own against the Finns. They seem out of their league.

A True Canadian said:
Bah, I'm gonna miss it 'cause I'm moving into residence today. It would be a surprise if Germany can hold their own against the Finns. They seem out of their league.

guess what?
Germany did really play the Finns tightly... i mean they were battling for every puck possession that it got me thinking perhaps it could be an upset.. :O

but the Finns took the 1-0 lead and kept up their intensity.. Germans tied the game late in the third period with about six minutes left to play but then three minutes later the Finns won faceoff in the German end and scored off a deflected point shot.. could have been a set play.. either way a 2-1 final in favour of Finland :cheers:

tomorrow theres 2 games on the tube.. i'll post more info on those a bit later :)

oh btw just for u Maxi Kana "Halintaa!" :LOL:

in about 5mins another quarter-finals game is about to start!
Czech Republic vs Sweden!!

i am expecting Sweden to win.. the Czechs have been sleep-walking through this tourney so im not sure if they will wake up today :p

the other game is later today, Russia vs USA @7PM EST on CBC/ESPN2 :D
this match should be good.. i am however expecting the Russians' skills control this game.. which ain't bad thing IMO :E

Sweden lost! Oh the tears of joy! :LOL: :devil: :p

But i do have to admit, that Finland wasn´t playing that good either, but i have to be happy that we made trough the first important match.

Back