"Yeah,Barney about that CAT?"

A

Antlion Hunter

What in the hell did Alyx/Barney mean about a cat in chapter 2?Any good ideas? :borg:

Listen to the dialog at the begining, when you get to kleiners lab.

He said something about it when he said he was teleported a while ago

It was one of their test subjects for the teleporter. Obviously the test didn't go so well for the cat.

Yeah its kinda obvious.. Alyx didn't know that a cat well.. probably died in the teleporter and they tried to keep it a secret.. thats pretty much it, no need for theories.. thats just it. :)

It must be some in-joke at Valve because there is a huge cat texture on Hammer.

I wonder if someone can put up a mod with an exploding cat in the teleporter.... lol

I reckon the cat was teleported and returned all deformed, crossed wiht other animals and things.

I've always imagined that the cat turned inside out, and then exploded.

Anyone else see Galaxy Quest? :D

its fricken obvious, when kliener was using the teleporter in test mode he tested it with a cat and it must have been destroyed in front of them.

case closed. go for a run.

Fina said:
I've always imagined that the cat turned inside out, and then exploded.

Anyone else see Galaxy Quest? :D
"No no, the teleport went just fine captain!"
"But the animal is inside out."
KA-BOOM!
"And it exploded..."

There's a very high propability that the cat might be turned inside-out in the experiment, in regards to some theories I once came across and entanglement. Cant remember where that was...hmmmmm.

Hey the inside out theory mustve come from The Fly 2 where they teleport a dog and it comes back inside out.............

but when u say deformed thats probably it cuz barney said it gave him nightmares.......OR it couldve been a VERY RARE Xen species or whatever the hell works with u.............

God does no-one listen to whats going on in games anymore.

and whats that supposed 2 mean....................................................

Im not particulary suprised by that responce :rolleyes:

Antlion Hunter said:
and whats that supposed 2 mean....................................................

Well, this doesn't call for a theory, they pretty much told you what they meant if you listened to them talking.

ShadowX said:
Well, this doesn't call for a theory, they pretty much told you what they meant if you listened to them talking.

Of course it doesn't call for a theory. We're just having fun speculating what happened to the cat. The conversation was generalized, leaving only enough details for the PLAYER (and Alyx) to imagine what horrible fate befell the cat (beautiful scriptwriting by the way). Which is what we're doing.

Don't take it seriously man, we're just having an entertaining conversation here. We're not slow or deaf or anything. We know what they meant. :thumbs:

its fricken obvious, when kliener was using the teleporter in test mode he tested it with a cat and it must have been destroyed in front of them.

case closed. go for a run.

While that may be so, I think that theres more to cats than just this... remember right after you rescue Barney, he asks you if you just heard a cat, and insists that there is one following him?

Why is he so afraid of it? I would think that a guy who was in Civil Protection and probably knows about a lot of the foul things being done to humanity wouldn't get THAT shaken up over a deep-fried kitty cat.

Antlion Hunter said:
Hey the inside out theory mustve come from The Fly 2 where they teleport a dog and it comes back inside out.............
Or Fly, where they do it to a baboon.

Now the only question is, did your goatee get fried whilst in the teleport

Pai-Mei said:
While that may be so, I think that theres more to cats than just this... remember right after you rescue Barney, he asks you if you just heard a cat, and insists that there is one following him?

Why is he so afraid of it? I would think that a guy who was in Civil Protection and probably knows about a lot of the foul things being done to humanity wouldn't get THAT shaken up over a deep-fried kitty cat.

"Do you hear a cat? The damn thing still haunts me!"
OMG. Are you going to come up with a massive conspiricy theory now? The cat was just mutilated in the teleport. And do you think they would show stalkers and stuff to CP? Not a chance in hell!

When Barney says that, he just means that the cat is haunting him because of the accident. It's just a joke really, and has no meaning in the game whatsoever. Its only purpose was to add a bit of humor. HUMOR, you do know what that is right...a joke...something someone says that generally makes people go :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ...ok?

bvasgm said:
When Barney says that, he just means that the cat is haunting him because of the accident. It's just a joke really, and has no meaning in the game whatsoever. Its only purpose was to add a bit of humor. HUMOR, you do know what that is right...a joke...something someone says that generally makes people go :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ...ok?
I know. People go crazy over such strange things.
What's next, a huge theory about the picture of Kleiner on the "young scientisc" magazine. (For those of you who don't know where that is look at the notice boards in Kleiner's lab.)

You put a pretty good point but as Jenga says its just an entertaining conversation about what barney said and how ****ed up that cat mustve been...........

Yeah, humor. Just like the

"You get alot of use outa your MIT graduate, flippin' that switch nad all"

or somthing to that effect.

b: "are you sure? cos' im still having nightmares about that cat..."
a: "what cat?"
k: "Nonsense Barney, we've made great strides since then... great strides..."

If you listen, Kleiner stresses 'great strides' in a quiet voice that gives you the impression he is remembering something horrible. Perhaps the 'accident' involved the misplacement of certain limbs? certainly would make you remember if you said 'great strides' out loud...

i think the cat had transcription errors like in timeline. it escaped from the lab so it's not dead. that's why barney has nightmares about the cat. he's afraid it will come back and kick his ass. :)

It's not dead. Maybe it dissappeared. "Did you just hear a cat? That damn thing haunts me!"

maybe the cat is "out of phase " with our universe can see but cant be seen and is trying to get barney to open a tin of food for him/her ?
this sort of thing happens all the time in the various star trek series seem to remember a transporter accident in TNG involving Geordie and ensign RO LAL

mabye only the molecular bonds of the cat got transfered so after teleport attempt it just degraded into a pile of blood and mush, gross!

Or u could think about it as in Predator where it is a invisible yet living animal that is tracking barney.And sorry if this post doesnt make any sense.I have some pretty back speaking/social skillz.

Wraith said:
you're a retard

Let the flaming begin! yes.

Wraith, the question was asked in order to start a discussion on the nature of the incident involving the cat. And, quite clearly, as indicated by the 2-3 pages of posts, it was successful.
I fail to see how asking that question constitutes to having a mental deficiency or retardation.

on topic someone please! im out of cat based ideas...

he's right.we should stay ontrack.this thread was started so questions(or in this case question)could be answered and its just 4 fun!Not to call otthers childish names!Damn!

Back