Yep, it is (only) a 90! (PC Gameplay) scans included.

PlayingMantis

Reaction score
(did you really think so?)

PWNED! :cheese:

But seriously, a few hours ago I hastily got myself a copy of the Belgian magazine PC GAMEPLAY 103 to find out if Half-life 2 is the second coming mankind was waiting for...

...well it is according to these guys.

I shall paraphrase the review so all of you who have been dying for (new) information can now know what has been said (with some minor spoilers, you’ve been warned!).

And for you dumb f**ks out there: Don't even consider flaming me, because I am only reflecting what PC GAMEPLAY has written. It has little or nothing to do with my own opinion!

Ok here we go:

They first start lamenting the fact that HL2 does not have a "proper" HL2 MP deathmach. They would have liked to play MP games within the HL2 world...

That is the "bad" part about the game.

So what's good, you ask?

Well everything else really. Read on.

(start of minor spoiler)

It seems that Gordon is working for G-man, but is teaming up with the Allience. Dr Breem seems to be a former collegue of Gordon from Black Mesa. He has teamed up with Xen aliens and is now controlling the world in nazi-fashion.

(end of minor spoiler)

HL2 is THE next gen FPShooter. Believe the hype! The BINK videos have functioned as a distracting mechanism, since the actual game seems to, on occasions, differ from the content showed in the BINKS.

The strongest attribute of the game seems to be the ingenious use of technology (Source) within the leveldesign. They praise VALVE for its genious. The puzzles are very intelligently devised. BUT,
it seems that no matter how big the levels are, and there a 15 of them in the game, they are all fairly linear in nature. There is a start and there is an end. The gameplay is not as openended as, say, FAR CRY.

City 17 = total war

Ravenholm = gore fest, fear and tension (reminiscing DOOM 3 in ambience)

The hovercraft level is extremely impressive and fun and warrants a separate game!

There are headcrabs, headhunters (venom has a paralysing effect?), zombiedogs (which are fast mofos), zombies (which are very impertinent it seems).

And then there are the combine. They will try to intelligently ambush by surrounding you, always taking cover when possible, they will flush you out when necessary (a la HL 1). The enemy AI is thus great. And opposing the combine is the Alliance with which you do battle, against the combine. You can "summon" up to 4 allies (with "v") , that will follow and do battle along with you (You can summon the because Gordon seems to have a Messianic reputation among the Allies). Sometimes they tend to get in your line of fire, temporarily obstructing your offence, but they seem to be able to reposition themselves once this occurs, thank Valve (so no Daikatana flaws here). They will also run for cover if overwhelm (sometimes they will even run away, which is considered to be another downer by PC GAMEPLAY).

Many impressive enemies (awe inspiring) like tanks, gunships, dropships(!) and of course the Striders...(which ARE destructible!). All guns from HL1 seem to have returned, plus the pheropods and the GRAVITY GUN: a pulse rifle with a "thermal grenade" as secondary fire! You can now use (tripod)turrets for your own purposes too...

All gunfights are intense. And playing on HARD is a real challenge.They finished the game in 19 hours on NORMAL. But they didn't want it to end so they will play it again. There is definitely a replay value! They want HL3!!!!

Gameplay 55/60
Graphics 18/20
Sound 17/20

SCORE 90%

P.S.: There is no mention whatsoever of Half-life: Source, which is a pity really.

A few observations of my own:

(start of potential spoilers)

-D.O.G is able to pick up cars and has an anthropomorphic anatomy (and is big)!

-Sometime down the line Both Eli and Alyx seem to get kidnapped by Dr. Breem.

-Barney finally admits he is gay and has only joined the Alliance in order to be close to Gordon declaring his silent “admiration” for Gordon while in battle… …well not really, but you never know.

(end potential of spoilers)

cheers, all this new info is making my mouth water :( GIVE IT TO ME :D

No one else thinks they were a bit too harsh in that score?

PlayingMantis said:
They first start lamenting the fact that HL2 does not have a "proper" HL2 MP deathmach. They would have liked to play MP games within the HL2 world...

Bum....I thought that this was just a smoke screen to let us have this big SURPRISE that they have been talking about......so many people want the MP not to be CS:S......BUM!

:borg:

Thanks, that was an excellent summary! The linearity thing worries me a bit, though. Hopefully they have managed to hide it well, so that you hardly notice it. Also, a bit under 20h on normal... I was expecting a bit more, unless of course the reviewers just mainly ran through the game as quickly as possible and didn't stop too much to play with the physics or explore the place in detail.

There is also a column which says that if Half-Life 2 would have had a multiplayer deathmatch like in the original Half-Life but with the new physics, new levels and vehicles, it would probably have the highest score EVER!

Thanks for the info, PlayingMantis! Much appreciated.

brink's said:
No one else thinks they were a bit too harsh in that score?

If their only major "flaw" was no real MP (but then again it does in CS)...than I'd have to agree.

PlayingMantis said:
(you really though so?)

PWNED! :cheese:

But seriously, a few hours ago I hastly got myself a copy of the dutch magazine PC GAMEPLAY 103

Its belgian right? :p

fragShader said:
played it on Normal?
pussies.

thanks.

Hah :LOL: My sentiments exactly!

Anyway thanks for the transcript Mantis, cheers!

PlayingMantis said:
since the actual game seems to, on occasions, differ from the content showed in the BINKS.

This would explain why the BINKs were scripted :naughty:.

Black said:
There is also a column which says that if Half-Life 2 would have had a multiplayer deathmatch like in the original Half-Life but with the new physics, new levels and vehicles, it would probably have the highest score EVER!

basicly they want unreal tournament on top.

honestly, I couldnt give a flying f*** about the missing hl deathmatch... waste of space on my harddrive anyway ;p

I'm not disagreeing with 90%- hell, I can't until I've played it... but if the game really is "better" than FC despite lacking a themed MP and being a bit behind in the "revolutionary" stakes (i.e., how FC was the first released game of this generation)... well, I don't get it.

"Ed, this essay you wrote is incredible! It truly is the best I've ever read."
"Yay!"
"However, since I've already awarded Bob an A, you'll have to make do with a B. Now sit and down and berate yourself for not including what I wanted!"

It's a 1% difference... but as I really didn't like FC much, it does underline why you need to take reviews for what they are- opinion. No magazine is ever definitive, no matter how popular they are or how many gamers agree with them.

Do they specifically mention deathmatch?

If there was HL2 themed multiplayer, it sure as hell should have been something more creative than such a tired gameplay mode.

Thats the score a super game gets when they let a stoned dutchman review the game :p i want HL2 noooow!!!

Since they included CS:S it should have gotten a much lower score, IMO.

h00dlum said:
Thats the score a super game gets when they let a stoned dutchman review the game :p i want HL2 noooow!!!

The mag is Belgian :p

The linearity thing worries me a bit, though. Hopefully they have managed to hide it well, so that you hardly notice it.

HL1 was as linear as the avarage ruler, but that didn't stop me from loving it. They both seem to write about brilliant leveldesign and a lifelike environment, so the paths that you follow probably won't seem anything else than logical.

Hm I wonder what they will be doing with the puzzles. Pvt Ryan I cant stop laughing at your sig :D

Cheers for this :)

The gameplay time does seems to be around 20 hours (that's how long it took the PC Gamer guy too), which is a bit of a shame, but if it were to be any longer then the game wouldn't be out for ages (well more ages than already :p). But there is still the physics to play with on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th.....time through and of course the mods!

So it shouldn't be too bad :)

Summon? wasn't command a better word?
Summon makes it sound like they apear from thin air :)

So after all this time HL2 has amounted to 19 hours of gameplay (less on easy), no multiplayer, and a port of a tired, tired game.

I have to say i'm disappointed, but i'll wait until i've actually played it before I get too mad.

Sounds awesome. As for the missing HL2 deathmatch, someone will probably make a mod of that. I didn't like HL1's DM that much, so all I care about in HL2 is it's single player.

StardogChampion said:
So after all this time HL2 has amounted to 19 hours of gameplay (less on easy), no multiplayer, and a port of a tired, tired game.

I have to say i'm disappointed, but i'll wait until i've actually played it before I get too mad.

Yes take the only negative things and blow them up out of proportion. GJ

why does everyone want DM, DM is old as ass lint, I'd rather play any number of mods out there than standard DM, I can't even see how that factors into the score at all

they cant just substract 10 points for not having that special multiplayer mode they like

Glo said:
they cant just substract 10 points for not having that special multiplayer mode they like

It's more of lack of ANY multiplayer mode than a SPECIAL one.

I just got a hold of the PCG review..(hey its not illegal here so dont blame me!) lets see what they have to say :)

hmmm 19hours. ok sounds wierd for a Half-Life game! i mean when half life came out it was a long game.

so half life 2 should be a long game!

Im sooo going to take my time on this game. im not going to rush through it then quick come on this forum and say i have completed it!

i hate it when people come on this forum and say i have completed it *in less then one-two days*
(dont get me wrong i complete all the games i get in 1-5days)
But this game.... im going to take it so slow. take in the beauty of the graphics. play with the phsics. enjoy the story. visit everywhere i can. shame that there wasn't a MP.

maybe Valve read the reviews and can say "WHY DONT WE MAKE A MP FOR HL NOW BEFORE THE GAME GETS GOLD AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS THEN."

half life does have an MP and that is CS:S so i dont see what the problem is.

Cant wait for this game. i know im going to end up rating it sooo higher then the scores i have seen.

Back