Your preferable character in hl2 expansion

Who would you like to be in the next expansion ( after the announced one )

• Barney Calhoun

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • Adrian Shephard

Votes: 58 45.0%
  • A Combine soldier

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Gordon Freeman

Votes: 12 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What have people got against shephard
he rocked
op4 was excellent as well made as many top modern games

have him fight the 7 hour war first zombies in the suburbs, then the remnants of the vortigaunt and there combined brothers the alien grunts, gargantua and flocking floater, then synths, then combine tanks and infantry - that would be incredible!!!

Very disturbing that so many want to be a combine - torture, murder, evil, alien.
Kill them imo

john3571000 said:
What have people got against shephard
he rocked
I want to know what everyone's got against Valve creating an entirely new character for the purpose of doing something new.

kupoartist said:
I want to know what everyone's got against Valve creating an entirely new character for the purpose of doing something new.
I think its lack of imagination… I bet they could learn to love a new character if the exp rocked.

Maybe a game where you play Colonel Odessa Cubbage? That would be quite an expansion pack... The entire game consists of hiding down in basements, holding lectures, ordering resistance-fighters around and sending them towards their doom. :rolleyes:

Don't hate shephard - he's part of the official story
and there is a huge amount of story potential in him
why wouldn't people want him back

kupoartist said:
I suppose that's a good enough reason. But there's not much more beyond this curiosity, and why does this have to be shown by making the character playable? Valve are only going to be able to make so many expansions, so why not do something different, especially as bringing back Shepherd will just work in the same way that bringing back Freeman did.

Was bringing back Freeman a bad thing? :E

Of course, Shepherds Aftermath could be told in a number of ways besides playing him, but that's the most fun in "the masses" minds, and when you're dealing with a Teenage dominated community, well, I think you get the idea. :E

The topic starter has already stated that he meant the combine collectively as the masked humanoids from HL2, so I was collectively considering them and offering an example of individuality.

Ahhh, I did not catch that.

That said, if an expansion focused on a combine viewpoint, it would surely star a metrocop or else give some reason for why a soldier/elite would suddenly get individuality. Individuality is something that Breen dislikes and probably tried to get rid of in the higher ranks, but guys like Mr Pick Up the Can represent a Combine force where individuality still exists, and where we could get an Expansion character from.

Hmmm, from the CP's perspective I could see an expansion pack happening... That is assuming that my theory is correct in that the CPs are still indeed Human, and not Trans-Human such as the soldiers and Elites. This could work towards the individuality we speak of, and not the robotic-clone-no-free-mind mentality the Soldiers and Elites display.

Will have to see what Valve has in store for us, now won't we? :E

Is This Tea said:
kupoartist said:
I think its lack of imagination… I bet they could learn to love a new character if the exp rocked.

Well, that and people are normally reluctant to change (In this scenario anyway.)

Barney... because I wanna see what happens during the time Gordon and Alyx is gone

I would love to have that machine gun from OF instead of the Overwatch standart . Well , both of them are good , but the first one has something special .

Aside from it having an awesome sound effect… And moving you’re body back when it was fired…
It had relatively limited ammo... which helped to make it a special weapon…. You would only bring it out when it was time to lay down the line…

a minigun hivehand which launches snarks as secondary fire - now that's firepower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

shephard without a doubt. Creating new characters is great, but tying up loose ends is better. Adrian is very much a loose end. We all know what became of gordon after hl1, ditto for barney, but we still have no clue what became of Adrian aside from being put away for later.

The 7 hour war, i think woud be too soon and too short. It happened almost right after the BMRF incident. That would mean that after all the gman's talking, he'd be back in an hour and say "oh yeah you're needed" and pluck adrian out of stasis. Plus its only 7 hours, hl2 takes about 20 hours to beat (unless you speed through)

I think if Adrian is brought back, the best place to put him would be somewhere during the post-citadel explosion revolution. Since he's not famous like THE Gordon Freeman, he'd probably be lower on the totem pole of things. He'd also probably have more stuff explained to him and eventually get a chance to become the next hero people flock to seeing as how everyone thinks Gordon is dead.

Flyingdebris said:
shephard without a doubt. Creating new characters is great, but tying up loose ends is better. Adrian is very much a loose end. We all know what became of gordon after hl1, ditto for barney, but we still have no clue what became of Adrian aside from being put away for later.

The 7 hour war, i think woud be too soon and too short. It happened almost right after the BMRF incident. That would mean that after all the gman's talking, he'd be back in an hour and say "oh yeah you're needed" and pluck adrian out of stasis. Plus its only 7 hours, hl2 takes about 20 hours to beat (unless you speed through)

I think if Adrian is brought back, the best place to put him would be somewhere during the post-citadel explosion revolution. Since he's not famous like THE Gordon Freeman, he'd probably be lower on the totem pole of things. He'd also probably have more stuff explained to him and eventually get a chance to become the next hero people flock to seeing as how everyone thinks Gordon is dead.

that last bit is a vrey good point.
i don't think the Combine have been defeated by any means...and with Gordon's status unknown, putting Adrian in an expansion pack right after HL2 makes sense.

Why are people convinced the 7 hour war happened immediately after Black Mesa
Remember Nihilanth was conducting the combine invasion of earth before freeman stopped him and the gman conquered xen with earth forces
its likely it took years before breen could approach the combine again to organise the next invasion
Halflife was set 1990s - post cold war
Halflife 2 - roughly 2017
nothing suggests that the combine have been in charge for a huge amount of time as city 17 is still largely intact - not consumed.

john3571000 said:
Why are people convinced the 7 hour war happened immediately after Black Mesa
Remember Nihilanth was conducting the combine invasion of earth before freeman stopped him and the gman conquered xen with earth forces
its likely it took years before breen could approach the combine again to organise the next invasion
Halflife was set 1990s - post cold war
Halflife 2 - roughly 2017
nothing suggests that the combine have been in charge for a huge amount of time as city 17 is still largely intact - not consumed.
Hmm... wrong.
1995- first establishment of contact to Xen
2000- black mesa incident. you are put to stasis at the same year. defeat of the mighty Nihilanth.
2004- combines invade earth resulting the beginning and end of 7 hours war. USA is also destroyed. this made the rest of the world surrender too. No wonder Europe and the rest(except USA) is still intact.
2010- Gordon released from stasis resulting the beginning of the defeat of the mighty combines. at the same year... he was put to stasis again.

Why do people insist, the military did not invade xen.

i'd like to be an combne soldier. how would look killing freeman and killing him in the future again?!

WormsME said:
i'd like to be an combne soldier. how would look killing freeman and killing him in the future again?!

Not to good, because Valve would undoubtly make Gordon never seen in the game, let alone killable.

Sid Burn said:
USA is also destroyed. this made the rest of the world surrender too. No wonder Europe and the rest(except USA) is still intact.
Where is ANY of that said at all?

I agree with Kupoartist. There's no mention of the USA's destruction. The USA might be powerful, but, damn, it's not so powerful that the Combine would devote all their resources to demolish it.

-Angry Lawyer

It is told in the game that the whole world has been conquered . Even you , Americans . That's why there are so many of you in city 17 . You were transfered there from your country .

Sid Burn said:
Hmm... wrong.
1995- first establishment of contact to Xen
2000- black mesa incident. you are put to stasis at the same year. defeat of the mighty Nihilanth.
2004- combines invade earth resulting the beginning and end of 7 hours war. USA is also destroyed. this made the rest of the world surrender too. No wonder Europe and the rest(except USA) is still intact.
2010- Gordon released from stasis resulting the beginning of the defeat of the mighty combines. at the same year... he was put to stasis again.

Hmm... that means that Alyx is about my age . ( I think she's 21-24 in 2010 )

Walter said:
It is told in the game that the whole world has been conquered . Even you , Americans . That's why there are so many of you in city 17 . You were transfered there from your country .
Being Conquered is entirely different from the total destruction that Sid Burn implies by saying that the USA is "destroyed".

And who are you calling an American?

twad said:
G-MAN! we can pratice our omnipresence and giggle at gordon when he look for us pointlessy.

def G-MAN. although better than this would be if you had some sort of commanding role. Like you went around messing with reality in order to help Gordan complete certain tasks. I.e. blocking the barriers of places he shouldn't go. that coversation with Odessa or explain the other times he was watching Gordan. And Obviously save Gordan.

If we were the G-MAN then we would def find out who hired us.

shepard would rule ass if he was put in before the 7hour war, killing the first combine strikeforces that hit the earth, and then in the middle of everything a huge chunk of land would just float up in the air. Kaboom (imagine the particle effects) dirt would be flying all over the place, then there is a large beam from the sky, Boom (again) flash, and theres the citadel, with tons of manhacks streaming out. <Begin 7hour war>

WormsME said:
and why not Father grigori?!
because he doesn't leave ravenholm. So besides the maybe two hours it took to destroy it, there would be no NPC's and no story and would conflict with Gordon's adventure too much. I really do not know, but it seems like VALVe tries to avoid Gordon in its expansions, Just a thought

Back