Your preferable character in hl2 expansion

Who would you like to be in the next expansion ( after the announced one )

• Barney Calhoun

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • Adrian Shephard

Votes: 58 45.0%
  • A Combine soldier

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Gordon Freeman

Votes: 12 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Samon said:
Why do people insist, the military did not invade xen.

But at the end of HL1, dont you see a trench in Xen with tanks and dead soldiers? Maybe my memorys hazy, but Im sure theres something that points to a Military Xen Invasion.

And for an expansion pack, how about they try and please everyone, Adrian Shepard in the 7 Hours War (Side note, if anyone hasnt seen the concept art entitled that, check it out, pretty awesome, didnt see it myself til yesterday :eek: ) Then he becomes a CP, before going up the ranks and getting implants to become a Prison Guard, then Combine Elite, then post-citadel explosion as he trys to fathom what to do next? Personally, Id just like to play as a Combine Elite, with single red lense vision. :E

SimonomiS said:
But at the end of HL1, dont you see a trench in Xen with tanks and dead soldiers? Maybe my memorys hazy, but Im sure theres something that points to a Military Xen Invasion.

And for an expansion pack, how about they try and please everyone, Adrian Shepard in the 7 Hours War (Side note, if anyone hasnt seen the concept art entitled that, check it out, pretty awesome, didnt see it myself til yesterday :eek: ) Then he becomes a CP, before going up the ranks and getting implants to become a Prison Guard, then Combine Elite, then post-citadel explosion as he trys to fathom what to do next? Personally, Id just like to play as a Combine Elite, with single red lense vision. :E

yeah... G-man wanted the earths army to invade Xen. The reason he told you in the end that the border world of Xen is in his control now.

SimonomiS said:
That particular area was... particuarlly weird. There was a Xen Sky, but not a Xen landscape - the texture used for the ground was not one of the weird organic ones used in Xen, but one of the Desert Sand ones used in Black Mesa. Perhaps it was just a metaphor for the coming portal storm (Xen coming to earth).

Perhaps that's what happened - For a time, Xen could be seen in the Earth's sky as portals opened and Xen creatures came through.

Once again it's speculation, but it seems unlikely that the Earth invaded Xen at any point... Well, cept Freeman himself.

Originally posted by Kupoartist
Once again it's speculation, but it seems unlikely that the Earth invaded...well cept freeman himself

Agreed.

kupoartist said:
That particular area was... particuarlly weird. There was a Xen Sky, but not a Xen landscape - the texture used for the ground was not one of the weird organic ones used in Xen, but one of the Desert Sand ones used in Black Mesa. Perhaps it was just a metaphor for the coming portal storm (Xen coming to earth).

Perhaps that's what happened - For a time, Xen could be seen in the Earth's sky as portals opened and Xen creatures came through.

Once again it's speculation, but it seems unlikely that the Earth invaded Xen at any point... Well, cept Freeman himself.

Hmm... my best speculation about this is... maybe that battlefield was teleported by... hmm... G-man himself. :borg:

jmjneary said:
what no alyx
The poll question is "Who would you like to be in the next expansion ( after the announced one )". Alyx isn't an option, because it's about 95% probably going to be her in the "announced" expansion.

kupoartist said:
The poll question is "Who would you like to be in the next expansion ( after the announced one )". Alyx isn't an option, because it's about 95% probably going to be her in the "announced" expansion.
well, valve said that Alyx and Dog will indeed have an expansion... that makes it a 99% probability. :cool:

well, valve said that Alyx and Dog will indeed have an expansion... that makes it a 99% probability.

100% :D

Wonder which we will play as though, me hopes dog.

agree, i think u'll get to play as dog. why? because he/it/she doesnt talk!!!!! it has an armor, a grav gun already. what's more is that u can use dog strenght instead of a crowbar.

I think that they meant you'd play as alyx with dog as a companion in more parts.

kupoartist said:

perhaps Xen and Earth converging at some point like u said.. Xen coming to Earth in some sort of convergence.
while we may not agree on Adrian Shepherd, the one thing we do agree on is that it seems unlikely that Earth invaded Xen at any point.

anyway a convergence is a good explanation of what we saw at the end of OP4 but ultimately Valve can only explain it.

OR...

It could be that they couldn't change the sky texture, on-the-fly during the level, and so that part ended up with a Xen sky...

Could have happened.

-Angry Lawyer

I always thought that if they brought shephard back, he would be a combine elite.

kupoartist said:
This is precisely what is wrong with wanting Shepherd back. He's only going to be as angry as you are when you load up the game. HL series Player-Characters are constructed from a player's experiences, their gun hand and a few NPCs who refer to you by the name your character has. If you remove the player's experiences, the player characters in these games become nothing. There is no character development, so surely bringing these characters back to play in expansions is ultimately pointless?

Than why did they make half life 2 starring GF? according to you it's pointless.

niddhoggr said:
Than why did they make half life 2 starring GF? according to you it's pointless.
Pretty Much. Half-Life 2 could have been about anybody and it would have been just as good. Valve only brought him back because he is iconic. Besides, Gordon Freeman is somewhat more developed than Shepherd: Both the Black Mesa and Rebellion incidents are all about the guy in the orange suit. To forget Freeman in the lore of Half-Life would be rather harder than it would to forget Shepherd who didn't really do anything that great in the overall view of things (even his victory over OP4's Final Boss was ultimately pointless, given that the G-Man nuked Black Mesa anyway).

Originally posted by Kupoartist
even his victory over OP4's Final Boss was ultimately pointless, given that the G-Man nuked Black Mesa anyway.

Shepard owned :p

I voted Combine soldier and then saw the Adrian option.

But really, I'd be happy for either.

But, VALVe really cannot make a game with Shepard, he is Gearbox's property and I really doubt they would want to pay to use him, when they can just either make a new character or use one of the existing ones. I feel even a no named civ would be more likely than Shepard, sorry guys.

Adrian Shephard - all rights reserved .
cost - 100$...

and hey absinthe where do u get it all from.. my sig ur sig... ur priceless dude :D

rpgprog said:
But, VALVe really cannot make a game with Shepard, he is Gearbox's property and I really doubt they would want to pay to use him, when they can just either make a new character or use one of the existing ones. I feel even a no named civ would be more likely than Shepard, sorry guys.

From what I understand, Valve either signed something with Gearbox or bought the rights, because Opposing Force is now included in Steam. If they wanted to do an expansion pack with Shepherd, they certainly could.

Surely, Gearbox has no rights to an expansion made for someone else's liscenced product?

perhaps, but there might be some legal consequences there really is no reason for VALVe to voluntarily get tangled up in lawsuits, because no matter what, everyone is going to buy the exp, with or without shepard

A Valve expansion with Alyx and Dog

followed by...

A Shephard expansion made by gearbox

Sounds fair enough.

TX_101 said:
Gearbox are gay and pathetic, they stole adrian shepard from valve

um no, VALVe paid Gearbox so they could sell Shepard.

Scotsman said:
A Valve expansion with Alyx and Dog

followed by...

A Shephard expansion made by gearbox

Sounds fair enough.
As far as I see it, a collaboration with Gearbox is unlikely. Gearbox is already busy with other projects (not least Brothers in Arms or whatever their WW2 shooter is called), but I understand that the fell out with Valve somewhat whilst developing Counter-Strike Condition Zero, which resulted in Valve shifting the project into a third developer's hands.

They fell out with gearbox, i didn't hear of this? Any link source to this dispute?

Samon said:
They fell out with gearbox, i didn't hear of this? Any link source to this dispute?

PlanetHalfLife said:
As hinted at in this December 2002 preview, there was some sort of dispute between Gearbox and Valve which resulted in the change in developers.
That's from this
Hands-On article from Planethalflife on Condition Zero (I found it yesterday when looking for)

A dispute, isn't so much of a "falling out", but it makes you wonder how the relationship is. Mind you, if your development house got the chance to make an expansion that's a guaranteed liscence to print money, wouldn't you be prepared to put any past dispute behind?

Back