2 possibly 3 Zombie types??

Silent Zero

Reaction score
form all of the screen shots ive seen there are 2 known types of zombies... the big headcrab on head w/ host having a pot belly zombie... and the medium sized headcrab on a open chested zombie.... i would like to know what are their perposes??? and i hear in previews that mentions a 3rd one... could that be the all mighty Genome?? :D

Originally posted by Tarkus
the new zombie flies and spits fire

don't forget it's fuel rod gun...er no thats halo im thinking of, sorry.

It seems that the one at the left is one of the guys who fight with you against combine in the barricade video. The right one may be a scientist, but I think that the "mouth" thing could be caused by the type of headcrab.
I don't know which could be the 3rd type, maybe the Genome.

genome? when the hell did i miss this...

at first i didnt like how all the zombies looked the same in the videos, how they were big and fat. i hope they look like this because of an effect the head crabs have on them which makes their stomachs bloat out. cause im sure valve could have made all the zombies look different, thin, height, everything and not like the exact same...with clothes and everything

but

Originally posted by Tredoslop
Well, maybe a headcrab found a fat host.

but then why isint there chest opened up... and why do they chill in groups???

edit... not chill i mean stay lol

Genomes where those huge Zombies from Op4 that threw their guts at you...litteraly

Originally posted by Digital.dk
Its different development stage.

so ur saying that its possible that the pot belly ones are new hosts and the open chest ones are ones that have been "dead" for awile??

Originally posted by Silent Zero
so ur saying that its possible that the pot belly ones are new hosts and the open chest ones are ones that have been "dead" for awile??

Correct. We'll probably find out the fourth (third being genome) stage of development in Half-Life 2...

Then, in the OP4 first level, there's one stage left (ignoring the 3rd and 4th stage).

Headcrab attaches > Zombie without opened chest > Zombie with opened chest > Genome > ?????

so wait, the zombies go through different stages...weird

could anyone please post the pics of the different stages...im gonna go look for a pic of the genome

The "Genome" zombies were terrible. I pray to God they don't return. Ever.

But let us not forget the up-and-coming Biozeminades - maybe they'll have something to do with the zombies :naughty:

the zombies make them really thin... look at thier arms on the later versions, so the pot belly will go away in further developments... then even later versions they become large and mutated

so they start by attaching to a human, and sucking away everyhting they have, then turning them into a larger mutant

Here are the 3 first stages.

From left to right:

- When the headcrab attaches.
- The one seen in HL2 pics without opened chest.
- The typical zombie with the opened chest.
- The Gonome.

I'm racking my brains here, but I think the "Genome" zombies were just about the worst enemies in Op4. Which is saying something.
Although the Zombified Grunts were fab :)

Originally posted by Aralkar
Here are the 3 first stages.

From left to right:

- When the headcrab attaches.
- The one seen in HL2 pics without opened chest.
- The typical zombie with the opened chest.
- The Gonome.
Heh, Gonome skin looks a tad like an Alien Slave's coloring... interesting

And remeber in the beginning of OP4 how the scientist sais, "Thes things are incredible. They can completely take over the host's nervous system. can you imagin what the next stage of evolution is?" Or something like that...all's i know is that i didnt want to know what the next stage was...:)
:sniper: :devil: > :x

I'm guessing that we'll see a fourth stage. Maybe the guys with the shiny green 'jewelry' that shot lightning are another stage?

I could see the fourth stage being sort of like the pinky demons in Doom...

Actually, check out the 'my shoulder' thread. The concept art is what I envision as being the next stage, only with the headcrab on the man's head.

The Alien Slaves/Vortigons (or "the guys with the shiny green 'jewelry' that shot lightning") are a separate race that this time we'll be fighting WITH. Huzzah!
I don't want another stage. I don't want the "Genomes". Rubbish.

I'm sulking.

Rofl, didn't remember the alien name. I can honestly only remember the headcrabs and zombies, the others I just describe with adjectives.

Those many-eyed dogs that squeal really high-pitched. Those kangaroos with squids for faces that spit bile at you. Etc.

for some reason the genome remindes me of a child.. it comes running at you like if ur candy.....

I hated when the Genome (Gonome) ran after you...really creepy stuff.

It made me stop playing OP4 cos I was too scared. I don't like barnacles, or the fish either.

I'm a bit of a puff really aren't I?

Yeah I hated those humoungous fish in op4. Especially when its you against 2 of them! Scary stuff.

gonomes are harmless, you just need to get to know them first.

now the enemies i absolutly HATED fighting were the big guys with the third arm in their chest that shoot hornets at you...garrr~!~! most annoying things to fight EVER.

Ooookaaay...

Headcrab attatches to host, host goes dormant. Later, host wakes up, controlled by headcrab (remember the bit where the zombie in the catscanner woke up and threw the scientist through the window?). As I see it, the zombie then mutates into a Gonome. Perhaps the new Eye Zombie concept art shows a different strain of headcrab, or the effect of an imperfect host capture on the crab's part. Scout zombie?

I then think that the Gonome goes around eating/absorbing stuff for quite a while, then goes and finds a nice quiet place where it pupates or mutates fully into a Gonarch.

And as for the aliens, they're Vortigaunts, not Vortigons. Vortigons were the blue rat-looking things out of Commander Keen.:dork:

That's what I think, anyway.:E

Seeya.

This is the result of a successful headcrab attack. Mutating humans and aliens into the living dead, these creatures have a few more tricks in-store for Half-Life2. The ability to crawl once they've lost their legs or the ability for the headcrab to detach once the host has become too damaged makes zombies a deadly foe.

So what is keeping a headcrab from picking an alien or even a something like a fish to feed off of? There could be many kinds of zombies if the dev team felt like putting them in.:dozey:

Originally posted by Brian Damage
Vortigons were the blue rat-looking things out of Commander Keen.:dork:

Actually, those were Vorticons

Originally posted by ElFuhrer
Actually, those were Vorticons

Oh, really? I slouch corrected.:E

I reckon that the names have become kind of shifted with time. All the official stuff I've seen calls them Alien Slaves or Vortigaunts. "Vortigaunt" sounds cooler, imho;). I'm not sure, but I think the "gaunt" bit might be some kind of taxonomic reference:dork:. Look at WH40K's "Termagaunts" and "Hormagaunts".

Whatever their name was, they were my favourite, and I sincerely hope that we do get to work *with* them, this time:). They were the coolest.

Seeya.

Back