3rd preload here

This is how you do it poseymac!

i dont think this is a spoiler because we knew striders would be killable, but striders can GIB into pieces, according to the model gcf. neat

thought really its not really a big spoiler... but its all these small things adding up :(

Im loading but the strange thing is that it started on 81,2% :/ ??

I formatted my HDD 4 days ago but I saved the 2 other preload files so they are back in the steamapps map. Though, something might have happened to them since the 3rd preload started av 81.2%?

The files are as big as they should though..

/D

aeroripper said:
This is how you do it poseymac!

i dont think this is a spoiler because we knew striders would be killable, but striders can GIB into pieces, according to the model gcf. neat

thought really its not really a big spoiler... but its all these small things adding up :(

yea, i know how to do it, but its not really a spoiler, so GG

Inanimate said:

I formatted my HDD 4 days ago but I saved the 2 other preload files so they are back in the steamapps map. Though, something might have happened to them since the 3rd preload started av 81.2%?

The files are as big as they should though..

/D

It's because the precentage is being added to the rest of the .GCF's of HL2.

Inanimate said:

It starts you on the overall percentage you've so far downloaded of Half-Life 2. For example, the second phase of the preload started at 52% of the way through total completion.

After this third pre-load we'll most likely be sitting at the 90% mark. :)

Okey, this is expected to be the last preload huh?
I mean, this must be 2.5 gb compressed... it´s pretty hella´h much

Inanimate said:

Well, I'd expect the maps to be preloaded as well. And the actual engine.

It isn't the last pre-load.

Textures, sounds and models so far.

Maps and executables to come next probably. It wouldn't surprise me if there are another two (smaller) preloads to go.

Well that would make sence since the candidate release will be in like 5 days or so.. even if it goes gold the day after that, there are still 2-4 weeks before the game has been released anyway.
We´ve got like 2 more friday´s to expect preloads on..

/D

Concept said:
It isn't the last pre-load.

Textures, sounds and models so far.

Maps and executables to come next probably. It wouldn't surprise me if there are another two (smaller) preloads to go.

The executable was pre-loaded in the base source shared gcf file.

Prediction : 2 more preloads & delievered 2 us by September 30th.

It wudnt take anymore than 2 more preloads, we have the majority of files compressed (we think...), so what are we waiting for. Id b surprised if theres no gold announcement within the nxt 2 weeks.

why hasn't this been posted on the front page yet? c'mon new mods... do your job... and old mods, get better new mods who post news

Inanimate said:
Heck, no. The .gcf files you see on your computer are uncompressed. There's roughly 1 GB left to download.

Calhoun said:

Then it could possibly be only one more. I presumed Valve would leave the executable files until last to prevent any potential cracks.

hmm well.. I´ve got a hl2.exe on my computer :/

anyhow, whats left to download really?

JPack said:
Heck, no. The .gcf files you see on your computer are uncompressed. There's roughly 1 GB left to download.

1gb left of the game, but about 500mb left to download

I say there's one more 1GB preload left. We have 2.4GB< and Gabe said HL2 was around 3.5GB, so I say one more after it goes Gold.

Here's a thought:

- Let's take into account that with Half-Life, the first RC was accepted within 48 hours.
- Valve has been bug-testing and balancing since before E3 (since the game was finished), which may have given them a few months more time to bug test than the original Half-Life.
- They plan to RC on the 15th, i.e. wednesday, which we'll assume it on target
- They have been releasing these preloads weekly

With this, we could conclude that the final preload could happen late next week after the first RC is approved by Vivendi, otherwise declared Gold (thus giving the final files the go-ahead to be preloaded). It's a small (emphisis on small) possiblity, but I thought I'd share the thought...

poseyjmac said:
and you need to go scuba diving more often

i cant scuba dive my eardrums are to thin can't take the pressure because theyve ruptured a couple times...
snorkaling is fun though..."here fishy fishy fishy!"

KagePrototype said:
I say there's one more 1GB preload left. We have 2.4GB< and Gabe said HL2 was around 3.5GB, so I say one more after it goes Gold.

Here's a thought:

- Let's take into account that with Half-Life, the first RC was accepted within 48 hours.
- Valve has been bug-testing and balancing since before E3 (since the game was finished), which may have given them a few months more time to bug test than the original Half-Life.

With this, we could conclude that the final preload could happen late next week after the first RC is approved by Vivendi, otherwise declared Gold (thus giving the final files the go-ahead to be preloaded). It's a small (emphisis on small) possiblity, but I thought I'd share the thought...

And you shared a good thought, i think you could be very right if not exact.

kilword said:
i cant scuba dive my eardrums are to thin can't take the pressure because theyve ruptured a couple times...

well then take up knitting!

KagePrototype said:

Here's a thought:

sounds possible, would explain that there mite b more behind this "supposed" date of sep 30th. why release pre-loads without fail each week, if your not happy with your progress with the game. They must b happy and thus continue to give us preloads because mayb they have a target date which Valve mite want to make.

who knows??

tokin said:
And you shared a good thought, i think you could be very right if not exact.

Heh, well I'm not keeping my hopes up in case I'm wrong, and I suggest you do the same in case of dissapointment. :)

Calhoun said:

Are you sure those aren't CS:S files?

So 3rd preload today ....................Nice.

That means the release date is close.

im i the only one NOT pre-loading ??? im just gonna buy it at the stores :)

Feath said:
Are you sure those aren't CS:S files?

I'm sure since there are Half-Life 2 resource files and configuration files included as well.

Im tryna start my pre-load, but a smaller box comes up quickly 'verifying steam files' or something, then closes, and im back to square one, with no preload started? Big problem, or are the servers just full? I hope its just that :bounce:

kiwii said:
im i the only one NOT pre-loading ??? im just gonna buy it at the stores :)

Yep, There is no point of downloading 4GB. I am getting the CE............ :p

Please Do Not Get Too Excited!!!

I am currently preloading (83.3%) at horrible speeds, and this is good news. BUT I really hope that people won't get all excited like when the last pre-load came out because the game does have an oficial release date which has a 95% chance of staying the same.

According to EB Games, (and many other sources) that I contacted myself, NOVEMBER 15th.

NOVEMBER 15th
NOVEMBER 15th
NOVEMBER 15th

FACT, no mystery, please KEEP YOURSELVES TOGETHER!!!

Calhoun said:
I'm sure since there are Half-Life 2 resource files and configuration files included as well.

Are you on the CS:S Beta? The exe definately came in that cache file, it also came with a font containing Half-Life 2's weapons.

It wouldn't make sense for Valve to preload the engine. It's not something that's unlikely to change. Especially since the game hasn't been declared Gold yet.

EDIT: AceAllways, I've just checked two different websites and the dates have been 5/11 and 1/11. So obviously the 15th isn't the day for certain. November is likely but does seem a bit far off.

I have my own personal theory behind the dates but I'll keep it to myself. November seems to be a dirty word to some people convinced that Vivendi are money grabbing bastards.

Aceallways said:
I am currently preloading (83.3%) at horrible speeds, and this is good news. BUT I really hope that people won't get all excited like when the last pre-load came out because the game does have an oficial release date which has a 95% chance of staying the same.

According to EB Games, (and many other sources) that I contacted myself, NOVEMBER 15th.

NOVEMBER 15th
NOVEMBER 15th
NOVEMBER 15th

FACT, no mystery, please KEEP YOURSELVES TOGETHER!!!
You are a moron.

No release date has officially been announced.

Feath, those were my thoughts. To include executable files or indeed source engine files at this point would be to give an open goal to people who want to hack or crack Half-Life 2 early before it can be purchased.

I presumed the engine and the executables which launched everything with it would be either left until the last pre-load, or until the game was made ready to be available on Steam at last after purchase.

umm, i just finished the 3rd preload, and it says that there's now "a locked copy of half life 2 on my computer" does this mean it's complete? or did it say the same thing after the first 2 pre-loads? i can't remember?

boomyak said:
umm, i just finished the 3rd preload, and it says that there's now "a locked copy of half life 2 on my computer" does this mean it's complete? or did it say the same thing after the first 2 pre-loads? i can't remember?

it said the same thing last time as well. :)

Back