3rd preload here

yeah same here, i guess ill have to redownload it agian. no rush though, its not like its coming out tomorow...... :O

Ouch, I'm going to go backup all my GCFs onto CD now in case I hit cancel too. That'd be a nightmare on 32kbps. =\

Must not start downloading, buying the retail version, must not hog bandwidth for steam buyers.

Ahhh, **** it, I'm downloading it, I can't help myself.

scatr99 said:
yeah same here, i guess ill have to redownload it agian. no rush though, its not like its coming out tomorow...... :O

What?! You mean it isn't coming out tomorrow? Man, and after all this time I thought... :)

Isnt it odd that the audio was 1gb, but the models are 481mb?

Like I said, doesnt anyone find it odd that the audio is a gig but the models arent even half a gig?

Like I said, doesnt anyone find it odd that the audio is a gig but the models arent even half a gig?

I don't. I imagine there's a lot of dialogue, plus all the ambient sounds, music, weapon sounds, etc etc.

Somebody feel like updating the frontpage btw?

Also, wouldnt all the supposedly hi quality texture models take up alot of spacE? Also, arent there tons of physical objects and props and tons of misc objects besides the weapons in hl2?

lazicsavo said:
Must not start downloading, buying the retail version, must not hog bandwidth for steam buyers.

Ahhh, **** it, I'm downloading it, I can't help myself.

Lol i got the ati voucher. Still buying it retail tho. CE. :)

Don't get too excited, or else you will almost certainly be disapointed.

If all goes well, they should get an RC to VU by the 15th, but, as Gabe has stated:

"Usually you go through a couple of RCs before you reach Gold, which means that you have what you are going to manufacture. After you manufacture it, it goes to stores."

If things go smoothly from that point, we can expect a Gold announcement sometime late the following week. But who knows what VU's marketing strategy is going to be. They may just delay it until November to increase sales for the holidays.

In any case, these persistant preloads are a very good sign. It shows Valves confidence in their progress. Either that or they just want to be jerks and leave everyone hanging at 90% :)

I'm putting my money on very late September or early October.

Oh and Valve DEFINITLY would not have the final preload before they release the game. No way in hell would they leave the EXE's and maps vulnerable to cracking.

holy shoit!

wow. it is so close now i cant wait. this is the only game im actually lookin forward to. doom 3 was crap so i know this will make up for it.

pentium 4 2.8 @3.6, 1 gig 3200 ram, genuine ati x 800 pro, abit is7 mobo, 500 watt psu.

all these preloads have been things that aren't going to make bugs...models(skins and wireframes), sound, and textures don't make anywhere a complete game. we know thay are already playtesting for collisions and such in the physics engine, but other than that, the most issues that they can be having are due to current hardware releases. we already know by the pure quality of the binks, and thier progression over the last year tht the game has been complete, meaning that the script(at least until it was leaked), and the characters and such had already been developed.
if you listen to some of the interviews, or read them, which ever the case may be, the whole valve team looked at the original HL game, and shots that were supposed to be concept endind up as final becasue they were rushed, as shook their heads. This is why they decided to do the second chapter in the story self-funded. This way, there would be no official deadlines, no official release dates, and no pressure to get an inferior product on the shelves. I am pretty confident that each and every day the whole team does nothing but playing the game....
think about all those games you played, and you got to a certain point, and was like "that was stupid" because of some cheap ending, or played a game were you fast-forwarded through the video sequences, because they were just too lame. Bet you won't have dissapointments like that will HL2. Remember that it's gabe at the helm, and his widely spread quote "why show someone a bomb and not let them blow it up" or whatever the exact wroding is? Do you think that he will let HIS reputation be put on the line? Do you think he spent 15 years at microsoft doing nothing? We're talking about one of the original pioneers of the gaming industry, and the way it is today. Should this product be a failure, the past 7 years of his life have been a failure, and he is in everyway worthless. you bet he'll lose those fancy cars and such...oh wait...he doesn't have one...maybe there's a reason that he only plays on a 9800pro...you'd think that he has the latest card out there...but then again...ati's highest selling card is the 9800....
rewind 1 year....HD or whatever gets stolen(i know they say they were hacked, this is just a generalization).....and your life's work goes missing. that secret you've kept in your pocket for the last 5 years is no longer a secret...what do you do...you protect your secret the best you can...especially when it involves money. But that takes money...bang deal.... with ATI...and a delay. screw it...got a base...lets rewrite the whole thing...and make our secret a new secret...
Well folks, i got 2.5gb's of that new secret on my hdd...waiting for someone to rub the side of the bottle and let that good ol' genie out...and in a year...2.5gb...i'm thankful. I'm pissed i bought a card based on it including the game that i have been waiting 6 years for, and finding out that no cd was in the box...but i'll be quite happy to wait until it's ready.... cause you bet good ol' gabe will be eating his words should things not pan out...

cadaveca said:
if you listen to some of the interviews, or read them, which ever the case may be, the whole valve team looked at the original HL game, and shots that were supposed to be concept endind up as final becasue they were rushed, as shook their heads. This is why they decided to do the second chapter in the story self-funded.

Half-life was delayed in the same way that HL2 was, it wasn't done, and Halflife was self funded so... meh. :angel:

Seriously. I won't lie when I say I skipped past the thread over that.

Play.com are saying 5 of November.. is that US thanksgiving? or dod they just pull it out of thin air??? :/

i wont preload, im gonna buy it in store so im saving the bandwidth and download slot for someone who really needs it..

wibblemonster said:
Play.com are saying 5 of November.. is that US thanksgiving? or dod they just pull it out of thin air??? :/

US Thanksgiving is near the end of November.. AFAIK.
i wouldn't read much into these dates for now.

the game is 2gb compressed. that's just hl2

so expect 3-4 CD's

The Preload descriptions have all stated that "these are the majority of the models/sound/textures", so does this mean there are still MORE models etc to come including the exe's/dlls and whatever?

I have a question: Will I be able to open the pre-loaded files with my CD-key?

comoxer said:
The Preload descriptions have all stated that "these are the majority of the models/sound/textures", so does this mean there are still MORE models etc to come including the exe's/dlls and whatever?
Yes, it's likely.

Thus far, we only have 2.4 GB worth of data. HL2 is ~3.5 GB.

The .gcf files are uncompressed.

I got a new computer a few days ago, so I had to reinstall everything and I had already download Phase 1 and 2 of the preload. So I copied the files to my new hard drive... ÜBER ERROR!!! I have to do it all over again... It's on like 2% now... :(

lol ul annihilator. i've not pre-loaded any yet ill wait until next week and leave it downloading as i go off to work.

monkey yes u will beable to activate it with ur hl2 cd key.

Annihilator_91 said:
I got a new computer a few days ago, so I had to reinstall everything and I had already download Phase 1 and 2 of the preload. So I copied the files to my new hard drive... ÜBER ERROR!!! I have to do it all over again... It's on like 2% now... :(

Hmm, why would that be an "ÜBER ERROR"? I've copied my SteamApps directory to a new machine, with no problems...

rkef said:
Hmm, why would that be an "ÜBER ERROR"? I've copied my SteamApps directory to a new machine, with no problems...

Hmmm... I dunno... One of the great mysteries of life. :O

its just finished preloading and the message said a locked copy of HalfLife 2 is now on your computer.

Does this means thats the lot?

The_Monkey said:
I have a question: Will I be able to open the pre-loaded files with my CD-key?
no..btw you can open them but every content is encrypted.

P4boy said:
its just finished preloading and the message said a locked copy of HalfLife 2 is now on your computer.

Does this means thats the lot?
didn't it say the same after every preload phase ? :thumbs:

Out Of All Of You Preloading How Many Are Actually Buying Off Steam ?!!?!?! :x:x:x

Back