3rd preload here

I would expect the executables and the engine and the like to be pre-loaded in the week before it's released in stores to reduce the likelyhood of it being cracked beforehand.

I also am not gonna pre-load since I'm just going to buy it in the store (I still have my pre-order from september LAST year).

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! As many have said before, veryoon. hopefully before OCT. Now release the binks!

Feath said:
Are you on the CS:S Beta? The exe definately came in that cache file, it also came with a font containing Half-Life 2's weapons.

It wouldn't make sense for Valve to preload the engine. It's not something that's unlikely to change. Especially since the game hasn't been declared Gold yet.

I don't have the Counter-Strike: Source beta and the hl2.exe is the launcher exe file which is complete unlike the game dll files that aren't included.

Concept said:
Feath, those were my thoughts. To include executable files or indeed source engine files at this point would be to give an open goal to people who want to hack or crack Half-Life 2 early before it can be purchased.

I didn't say that. I said that Valve won't preload the engine to users because it's still undergoing bug testing/fixing. It would be pointless because they'd just have to preload another one when the game is declared gold.

If anyone wanted access to the Half-Life 2 executable they only have to be on the CS:S beta. It includes the actual HL2.exe file in order to run because CS:S is a mod for Half-Life 2.

have you seen the large jump in the steam bandwidth usuage? hehehe

hmmm..HL2's engine is called "source"
CS: SOURCE...
feath, what do you mean by no engine? what's powering the CS beta?

IMHO, CS:S is the HL2 multi..and why we are beta testing. IMHO. Engine is there....just not all of it. no water....trees....those parts of the engine are what are remaining. we have the engine, just not a complete one.

Feath said:
If anyone wanted access to the Half-Life 2 executable they only have to be on the CS:S beta. It includes the actual HL2.exe file in order to run because CS:S is a mod for Half-Life 2.

I'm not talking specifically about that executable. It's all the other executables associated with other parts of the game which clearly wouldn't be pre-loaded now. That wouldn't make sense.

so my attemps fail

mattgirv said:
You are a moron.

No release date has officially been announced.

It is just as i feared... the dillusionals will keep on trying

sigh...

is it just me or did anyone get a steam news page popup when you just went into steam to log in and get the 3rd preload. The news page was a google search that referred to a older thread on this website. I should of taken a screenshot but it was really wierd. I just closed it.

Aceallways said:
It is just as i feared... the dillusionals will keep on trying

sigh...

Don't be like that. You're not a matyr, just some people disagree. That date is subject to change, don't be surprised if it changes to October if that's what the official date is after Half-Life 2 goes Gold.

poseyjmac said:
1gb left of the game, but about 500mb left to download
Nah. I wouldn't be that certain. You have no idea how the files compress.

maximus0402 said:
is it just me or did anyone get a steam news page popup when you just went into steam to log in and get the 3rd preload. The news page was a google search that referred to a older thread on this website. I should of taken a screenshot but it was really wierd. I just closed it.

I had that too it tried to go to my yahoo homepage but produced an error instead, i just closed it though.

500mb would usually take me 2 1/2 hrs to download, but mine finished in an hour or so, anybody else have this?

Yay! It's getting closer! There are probably some heavy spoilers in this gcf though.

My guess on the next preloads is:
* Maps and AI data
* Tools & SDK
* Engine (dlls and executable)

The tools and SDK probably won't be preloaded until the game is released. There are still all the levels and the engine stuff, but I think they might be to fit the rest of the stuff into one last pre-load.

I still wonder how are they going to do RC if they keep preloading majority of the game?

iamaelephant said:
Wow, believe it or not, but even I'm getting excited now. Me!
wow, i guess this means we have to be getting close to something.

PvtRyan said:
Maps :)

I wonder what the avarage map size for HL2 is gonna be. You can download any custom cs map on Steam within 2 minutes, but HL2 maps will be multiple times bigger I fear.

Hehe, it would suck if it reached preload #57.

iamaelephant said:
Wow, believe it or not, but even I'm getting excited now. Me!
iamelephant getting excited about HL2??? Never thought Id see the day.;)

hmm.. i restarted my Steam and did not see it pre-loading.. for me it says 81% complete.. anyone else having this problem?

Dr. Freeman said:
hmm.. i restarted my Steam and did not see it pre-loading.. for me it says 81% complete.. anyone else having this problem?

hit the continue button :D

Dr. Freeman said:

Could be bandwidth problems, seeing as how everyone is pre-loading. Keep trying ;)

And there's always the magical solution to everything steam related: delete the clientregistryblob file.

kiwii said:
im i the only one NOT pre-loading ??? im just gonna buy it at the stores :)

I prepaid for a copy of the Collector's Edition a couple months ago :).

CB | Para said:
Could be bandwidth problems, seeing as how everyone is pre-loading. Keep trying ;)

And there's always the magical solution to everything steam related: delete the clientregistryblob file.

i tried the clientregistryblob file but apparently that trick isn't working for me :(

Argh, Steam is connecting me to Valves server, BAD STEAM!

I get 56k speeds outside of any content server bar Internode. Guess I'll just have to wait then. (I'm 1.5mbps DSL)

mememem said:
500mb would usually take me 2 1/2 hrs to download, but mine finished in an hour or so, anybody else have this?
We didn't download the whole thing....

http://members.cox.net/clyqz/bandwidth.jpg

Steam says my download is complete (for now), but since I've turned my computer on today, I've seen less than 200mb of downstream network traffic. Like Valve said before, we're only downloading a part of it (or the majority as they said). Though, the cache files altogether add up to just below 2.5GB, which is a good indicator that we dont have much longer to wait.

My guess is the percentage it starts at is 'the size of everything downloaded so far'/'the size of everything available for download'. With each new release, the size of everything available changes. The starting percentage doesn't mean anything about progress; it's just more likely each new update is smaller in proportion to what has come before.

This is good news except It doesnt do anything for me cause its just a preload and how many phases are there anyways does anyone know?? Im not getting excited again till there is a gold date its just pointless to otherwise...IMO.

They've never stated the number of preloads. I'd wager one more preload before gold for maps, one after gold to update all the things that were likely to change, and then the final one when you buy it which will include the engine and things like that.

errror could't preload
it does't give me a message like its done preloading or say that there is't enough bandwith
if i press contineu it does something then it exits. somehow darn.

EDIT: and if i press cancel preloading and preload again it works.
wtf :(

damn it! the continue button wasn't working, and nothing was downloading, so I clicked the "cancel preload" button, and it deleted everything that I had so far! it's now downloading very...very..slowly and is at 32.4 percent :(

Back