8.8 hits Chile

Warped

Reaction score
chile.gif

(CNN) -- An 8.3-magnitude earthquake struck central Chile early Saturday, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The quake's epicenter was located near the town of Concepcion, 212 miles (341 kilometers) from the capital, Santiago.

A tsunami warning was issued for Chile and Peru, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.

"An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines near the epicenter within minutes and more distant coastlines within hours," the National Weather Service said in a statement.

Alessandro Perez, who is staying at the Santiago Marriott Hotel, reported shattered glass, but there was no structural damage. No one at the hotel was injured, he said.

Anita Herrera, who works at the Hotel Kennedy in Santiago, said electricity was out at that hotel and guests were nervous.

"Our hotel is built for this," she said. "In Chile, this happens many times."

Chile holds the record for the largest earthquake in the world, according to the USGS. A magnitude 9.5 quake struck the South American country in May 1960 and killed 1,655 people.

the Earth has gone mad! Okinawa 7.0 yesterday and now this. this is just like the movie predicted :(

The first thing I did was hold down F11. Does that make me a terrible person?

in case anyone didn't know where Conception Chile was, i sure as hell didn't know. also thread title change, it was an 8.8!

Warped you first said 8.5 when it was 8.3.

Now you make yourself even more incorrect lol

Conception is just south of Santiago if you guys don't bother to look at the map.

Chile holds the record for the largest earthquake in the world, according to the USGS. A magnitude 9.5 quake struck the South American country in May 1960 and killed 1,655 people.
Man, that ain't shit. Ok, 9.5 might be the LARGEST earthquake in the world, but it only killed a paltry 1,655 people. That's nothing. The Shaanxi quake of 1556 was only an 8, but it killed 830,000 people. Quality over quantity, Chile. Quality over quantity.

Well obviously an Earthquake will kill more in China. It's goddamn China.

Hey, there are 17 million people in Chile. All I'm saying is, if they want to get recognized in the earthquake game, they need to step it up.

Anyone in Hawai? Sinkoman will probably be worried sick. He is still in mainland US isn't he?

This adds to the list of uncommon happenings around the world lately.

More earthquakes reported, more storms reported, more temperature fluxtuations reported, seasons occuring earlier, more snow than usual etc etc etc.

But then again, these are only classed as natural disasters if they do x amount of damage to man-made areas and loss of life.

Trims the herd though. If we wont, plate shifting can.

So apparently, there was a tsunami in Chile that so far has been reported to kill at least 85 people.

The death toll will most likely rise during the days and weeks ahead when destroyed buildings are searched. And re: the tsunami: no one knows what will happen. Could be anything from a 20 foot wave to a couple of inches.

Weren't the deaths in Chile from the earthquake itself, rather than from the tsunami?

Anyway, this earthquake was ****ing huge (the seventh largest in history) and the epicentre was just off the shore. It's crazy to think that it only caused 122 deaths, the figure will most likely rise dramatically in the near future.

My part of Australia apparently will be hit in roughly 6 hours.

My only hope, is that Darkside is severely disappointed.

Stay away from the beaches you ****ers!

looks like they have very strong buildings tbh. glad this isn't as big as the Haiti quake

looks like they have very strong buildings tbh. glad this isn't as big as the Haiti quake

It's bigger than the Haiti earthquake. Haiti was more devastating because their infrastructure isn't anywhere close to being able to handle even weak earthquakes.

****ING TSUNAMI IS SUPPOSED TO HIT HAWAII IN 2 HOURS.

Somebody who's apparently official estimated that the waves will be the biggest the islands have seen since the devestating tsunami that hit the big island in the 60s.

HOLY ****.

****ING TSUNAMI IS SUPPOSED TO HIT HAWAII IN 2 HOURS.

Somebody who's apparently official estimated that the waves will be the biggest the islands have seen since the devestating tsunami that hit the big island in the 60s.

HOLY ****.

Tell your family to heed the warnings then. They're still in Hawaii right?

They've had 12 hours to prepare for the tsunami, it shouldn't be that bad.

They've had 12 hours to prepare for the tsunami, it shouldn't be that bad.

What i'm hoping. We get like bazillion tsunami warnings/practice deals a year, and my mom just told me she's not in a flood zone.

EDIT: And she said they just called her into work, which happens to be on the second floor of like a 10 story building that's also on the edge of the flood zone, and the rest of my family piled a bunch of camping shit into the back of my uncles truck and headed for the mountains, so it should be all good.

Girlfriend is on Kona, driving up to higher ground. Funny thing is that she just came down from mount Kea observatory.

Also, sucks to be Haiti. First the Olympics, then this. Their 2 months of having people care about them is now over.

HOLY **** HALF HOUR UNTIL SHIT POPS OFF.

I'm about to leave my house to take care of some shit and ride bike, but i'm going to take my ipizzle with me and check it every 5 minutes to see what's up.

Staying tuned into CNN for any tsunami footage. ;o

EDIT: CNN saying three people killed by waves in Chile.

**** that shit first the haiti one and now this?

seriously **** that shit

It's better on 42" HD.

Back