Anyone else Glad HL2 is delayed ?

D

Dilbert

Most people seem quite upset, on one hand I am a little dissapointed its not out yet ... but in some ways I am quite please because.

1. It means we can have another season of HL over at www.hlccl.com before many players desert to HL2

2. Both my main rigs at home arent up to a spec i would want for playing HL2 atm (P4 2.4 GF3 & XP2000 GF4) and if its delayed long enough I will be able to use some money from next years it budget for some upgrades.

3. Best hardware currently available will not give a fantastic perfomance for multiplayer with all the bells and whistles switched on .. imo.

4. hmmmmm .. I am sure i had some more reasons when starting this thread but they seem to have evaporated as I write :)

I am, cause playing HL 2 with steam in this state would be hell ...

Who wants the game to be delayed?
Anyone?
*sound of cricket chirping in distance*

My PC will run even City17 Strider Bench at 60 fps, so I'm pretty pissed, that Vivendi stopped Valve. I wanted to play the game TODAY.

Yup. I agree. By the time it has come out I will have saved enough to buy my apprentice-ninja PC. As opposed to my crappy celeron 400 powered doorstop.

Seeya.

a little glad.
because now i can save some money 4 a good vga card.

and that is the only reason :)

Ahhh yes thats anotehr good reason

5. Steam needs to be sorted out better before we have to rely on it for Multiplayer.

and just thought of another.

6. Porbably some of the people that currently cant afford to upgrade for HL2 will be able to cover some of their update costs via xmas presents.

Its not that im happy cause its late, but I would have had problems affording a copy of the game this month... Im trying to find all positiv things with the delay :cheese:

Originally posted by Dilbert
6. Porbably some of the people that currently cant afford to upgrade for HL2 will be able to cover some of their update costs via xmas presents.

This is the reason why I'm a little glad, because I'll buy a new videocard around november thanks to my birthday, and if it's released in december, I can use the christmas presents to buy a better one :cool:

Originally posted by FriScho

My PC will run even City17 Strider Bench at 60 fps, so I'm pretty pissed, that Vivendi stopped Valve. I wanted to play the game TODAY.

Uh.....

City17 Strider Bench? What is that?

Originally posted by Aknot
Uh.....

City17 Strider Bench? What is that?

ROFL, I think he thinks that the Strider movie is a benchmark...hehe

n00b

I'm quite glad actually... I just dont have the tim, money, or PC for it right now

I'm in Uni. 5 weeks to wait, and then 12 weeks of holidays.

Woohoo!

Seeya.

Well as long as the game isn't finished I don't want it to be released

Originally posted by FriScho
I'm pretty pissed, that Vivendi stopped Valve. I wanted to play the game TODAY.
Just so you know, Vivendi didn't stop Valve from releasing the game. According to Valve, the game simply isn't finished, though its current state of completion is somewhat uncertain at the moment. Doug "It's not a lie, it's marketing" Lombardi claims that the game is finished and only optimization and localization remain to be done while Gabe Newell has emphatically said that the game is simply not finished at this point.

As for being glad about the delay, as I've said before, the delay doesn't bother me, it's Valve's deception and hamfisted media relations that has me a little pissed.

Dilbert is a selfish git......I had delayed building my new house for the 30th sept by 2 weeks and 3 days so I could complete the game.

Originally posted by JANER
Dilbert is a selfish git......I had delayed building my new house for the 30th sept by 2 weeks and 3 days so I could complete the game.

And that makes Dilbert a selfish git? Or did you forget your smileys?

Seeya.

Lol Janer ..... and I thought I had found some peace and quiet away from you over here ... it didnt last long did it ;(

Yes I know him ... he is a strange coloured haired irish man that we have previously banned from our www.hlccl.com community but have then felt sorry for and let him back in ..... ive actually had the misfortune of meeting him in real life a couple of times as well ..... next time I will take a gag so that I can get a word in edgeways tbh :)

well im not very glad about it... my pc won't handel it with everything set on high (think ill get 10 fps :/ ) but medium would be fine with me... i wish i was playing the game TODAY/NOW

you all have poor excuses for being slightly happy it's delayed! why would anyone not want to play HL2 ? I think some of you are forgetting what the original HL was like for some people with Pentiums and 2-4MB integrated cards, no? and still, it was tons of fun

Originally posted by PSX
you all have poor excuses for being slightly happy it's delayed! why would anyone not want to play HL2 ? I think some of you are forgetting what the original HL was like for some people with Pentiums and 2-4MB integrated cards, no? and still, it was tons of fun

you are so totally right :cheers:
/me looks for the "i agree" button...

Originally posted by PSX

My glass is always half full tbh :)

I remember what HL was like on a PII 450 with Voodoo 2 and STB cards in SLI ...... I would not play HL still if I had to go back to playing on that :)

If there getting 42fps on some of the single player time demos I wonder what FPS multiplayer madness will be on even a hight end system :eek:

My glass is always half full tbh :)

I remember what HL was like on a PII 450 with Voodoo 2 and STB cards in SLI ...... I would not play HL still if I had to go back to playing on that :)

If there getting 42fps on some of the single player time demos I wonder what FPS multiplayer madness will be on even a hight end system :eek:
so you're an optimist then! great, I hope you have your money on Oct 30th for a release :p

Originally posted by PSX

I have a celeron 400 (Doesn't even deserve a capital letter) and a Crap-o-matic GF2 MX card. I *can't* run it. One frame per second is not a playable speed. I *do* want to play it, I just can't. Sheesh.

Seeya.

Or not.

Originally posted by PSX
so you're an optimist then! great, I hope you have your money on Oct 30th for a release :p

Wouldnt really call myself an optimist .. more of a realist with a positive outlook if anything. :)

No i want this game now, all other games out now sucks bigtime, i have been waited so long for this one and its delayed :(

I played half-life on a cele 400 with 12Mb voodoo2 and it ran fine, I dont remember any problems.

pff, nobody buy fat people and hookers want the game delayed.

Originally posted by Brian Damage
I have a celeron 400 (Doesn't even deserve a capital letter) and a Crap-o-matic GF2 MX card. I *can't* run it. One frame per second is not a playable speed. I *do* want to play it, I just can't. Sheesh.

Seeya.

Or not.
celly* or celestick* or cellyshit*

I understand your position... but... when are you planning on an upgrade? 6 months? 1 year? a game cannot be delayed just because a few million casual gamers don't have sufficient hardware for a great time with it

I was stuck with a PII-300 up until a year ago... that was hard enough with all the games coming out left and right, so I know where you're coming from; I think you should look at what you've got and plan for a decent upgrade, like a 2400+, possibly a 9600, and some 512mb ddr333; this is the optimal config for someone on a budget imo; not expensive at all in computer terms; you just have to compensate to afford it

edit:

I played half-life on a cele 400 with 12Mb voodoo2 and it ran fine, I dont remember any problems.

no shite? of course it did...it's a Voodoo2 on a Quake 1/2 hybrid engine

Originally posted by Deljron

If this is aimed at me, then I'm talking about running HL2 on my crappy setup, not HL1.

And Homer, You = Nutbucket, OK? Please try saying something constructive next time.

Seeya.

Originally posted by PSX
celly* or celestick* or cellyshit*

I understand your position... but... when are you planning on an upgrade? 6 months? 1 year? a game cannot be delayed just because a few million casual gamers don't have sufficient hardware for a great time with it

I was stuck with a PII-300 up until a year ago... that was hard enough with all the games coming out left and right, so I know where you're coming from; I think you should look at what you've got and plan for a decent upgrade, like a 2400+, possibly a 9600, and some 512mb ddr333; this is the optimal config for someone on a budget imo; not expensive at all in computer terms; you just have to compensate to afford it

Upgrading in three weeks or so.
Thanks for understanding.

Seeya.:E

Originally posted by Deljron

Single player may have looked ok but multiplayer would have been very bad on that system .... you could expect single figure fps on that rig on some maps/situations....... although at the time HL came out that wasnt far off top spec :) Wouldnt be much fun trying to play it on that now though I assure yah

Single player may have looked ok but multiplayer would have been very bad on that system .... you could expect single figure fps on that rig on some maps/situations....... although at the time HL came out that wasnt far off top spec :) Wouldnt be much fun trying to play it on that now though I assure yah
yeah, I believe the fastest at the time was a Voodoo2 in SLI mode and a PII-450

Back