Are YOU supporting Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bla bla bla bullshit, danimal, 3 days? i can barely keep up right now for just a day!

bigbot said:
but whatever... im done here. you guys see the points i have made, laugh all you want and pretend i didn't make any. You won't be laughing in a few years if you keep supporting this shit... every other game will start doing the same thing..

Oh noes!!1!1! :p

Seriously, I still don't see the problem. Steam will last, whether you like it or not. Because you're so tied up in your own misfortunes with the software, you fail to see the benefits it will reap on the whole industry.

Ktime, 1.5 days of no sleep is considered to make you mentally unstable as 3 days is mentally insane

bigbot said:
but whatever... im done here. you guys see the points i have made, laugh all you want and pretend i didn't make any. You won't be laughing in a few years if you keep supporting this shit... every other game will start doing the same thing.. i can only hope steam won't last and people like you can see through your ego's and petty insults.

Bye then!

The fact that you haven't actually made any salient points other than that you dislike Steam obviously escapes you....

Big bot got:

-Rhowned
-Munrowned (Magically)
-pwned
-owned
-ran over by a car
-adopted
-umm owned?

ktimekiller said:
does pain in the eye count?

I don't know. I never did it before... I just hear people's stories...

Now, imagine playing Doom 3 after 3 days of no sleep :bonce:

bigbot said:
but whatever... im done here. you guys see the points i have made, laugh all you want and pretend i didn't make any. You won't be laughing in a few years if you keep supporting this shit... every other game will start doing the same thing.. i can only hope steam won't last and people like you can see through your ego's and petty insults.
Regardless of Steam is the first or not it won't change the fact that evolution does happen.

So even if Steam shuts down there will always be other developers lusting the same freedom that a system like Steam can give.

There will always be money-hungry publishers lusting for more money. You can be happy that Steam started out as a project for the developers that want to be independant, instead of for the publishers.

However if supporting Steam and content delivery systems around the world is what it's gonna take to shut you up, then god help me let their be support.

Danimal said:
Big bot got:

-Rhowned
-Munrowned (Magically)
-pwned
-owned
-ran over by a car
-adopted
-umm owned?

I don't know. I never did it before... I just hear people's stories...

Now, imagine playing Doom 3 after 3 days of no sleep :bonce:
playing doom after 3 days of no sleep will prolly give you heart attack, specially if youve been watching scary movies, and didnt play doom 3 before

Yeah, I agree. Steam sucks because it complicates the installation process and likely scares away some consumers, and it does nothing to stop piracy, as de-steamed versions of HL2 have been floating around torrent sites and IRC for weeks now. So, what's the point?

diluted said:
Yeah, I agree. Steam sucks because it complicates the installation process and likely scares away some consumers, and it does nothing to stop piracy, as de-steamed versions of HL2 have been floating around torrent sites and IRC for weeks now. So, what's the point?

To circumvent the middle man, and have games and updates delivered straight to the consumer from the developer.

bigbot said:
You guys go ahead and trust valve... trust the updates they push out... you know they are tracking your gaming habits right? maybe they are tracking your hardware too. Pushing out advertisements?

LOL!! I find this very funny indeed, did you realise every time you go to the shops that the things you buy get tracked by the supplier to keep up with purchasing habits. Also the advertisement on the back of the reciept would be like the "Pushing out of advertisements"??

Does this mean you are goin to stop going to the shops now,stop buying food and clothes... Maybe you should write on the Myer forums too and bitch to them about their disgruntled ways!!!

USELESS RETARD! :dork:

Too late, Shimoneous. Pi Mu Rho pwned him now... The war is over

Danimal said:
Too late, Shimoneous. Pi Mu Rho pwned him now... The war is over

DAMN IT!!... i only just signed up to the HalfLife2.net forums..
I didnt get my chance ;(

I was just too slow :thumbs:

Catch

Well, private. The war may be over but there is alot more to come! See the button above you posts etc with the ! mark? Use that to contact the special forces...

Danimal said:
Well, private. The war may be over but there is alot more to come! See the button above you posts etc with the ! mark? Use that to contact the special forces...

lol... O you know it's done ;)

GO THE SPECIAL FORCES! :cheers:

Catch

i wish i had moca or soda or something to kee pme awake better

OFF TOPIC, but,
Hey Danimal, i just relised you were an aussie... I havent seen you playing in HL2DM?? Do you use Danimal as you DM u/n??

Catch

eat raw coffee beans, it works

Shimoneous said:
OFF TOPIC, but,
Hey Danimal, i just relised you were an aussie... I havent seen you playing in HL2DM?? Do you use Danimal as you DM u/n??

Catch

I use Danimal, yes. I play HL2DM but not as much as I used to
:|

Maybe the concept behind steam is good. (And maybe not)

But I, personally, have had one big piece of shit with it.
Just the other day, for example, I decided to get the latest update before going to a LAN. Steam spent quite sometime trying to connect before telling me that the server couldn't be reached (or something similar :))
I was rather annoyed at this and hurriedly tried it again. After a few minutes more Steam eventually connected and started getting the update. When it (apparently) finished I checked that HL2, HL2DM and CS:S were all ready for offline mode.
I copied all the GCFs to my brother's comp and checked that it, too, agreed that HL2 was ready for offline mode. After a few hours my nice dialup connection disconnected. And my brother promptly walks in to inform me that "Steam is giving me some error when I try to play HL2".
This was quite annoying itself but upon looking at his box I discovered Steam telling me that HL2 was *not* ready to be played in offline mode and I would, like duh obviously, have to try it in online mode.
Anyways I reconnected and fixed that up..

Arriving finally at the LAN later that day I immediately started a HL2DM server. My two friends there both started Steam and, of course, couldn't play HL2DM. Why? Offline mode that was ready now wasn't.

So eventually they had to spend some money and go online to fix steam. As well.

The secret to avoiding such annoyance BTW, seems to be to start HL2 after an update but while online. Whatever Steam says about "offline" mode is, naturally, bullshit.

Of course this stupidity dosen't stop there. When trying to start Steam with no internet connection we must either disconnect the LAN for steam startup or wait about 10 minutes for Steam to tell us "OMG I can't find an internet connection!! Do you wanna use offline mode? Oh btw, HL2 won't be playable anyways couse you didn't start it after the last update! Have a nice day..".

Argh. Maybe I'm alone with these problems. In any event my (and others') anger towards Steam is *completely* unwarranted and without cause.
Too bad the effect seems so real!

What about Danimal's famous Caffine pie?

INGREDIENTS:

-Coffee
-Pie

METHOD:

-Get a pie and put coffee in/on on the pie

-Serve along side with gourmeat turkey sprinkled in fired potatoe sprinklings with white wine

FragBait0 said:
Maybe the concept behind steam is good. (And maybe not)

But I, personally, have had one big piece of shit with it.
Just the other day, for example, I decided to get the latest update before going to a LAN. Steam spent quite sometime trying to connect before telling me that the server couldn't be reached (or something similar :))
I was rather annoyed at this and hurriedly tried it again. After a few minutes more Steam eventually connected and started getting the update. When it (apparently) finished I checked that HL2, HL2DM and CS:S were all ready for offline mode.
I copied all the GCFs to my brother's comp and checked that it, too, agreed that HL2 was ready for offline mode. After a few hours my nice dialup connection disconnected. And my brother promptly walks in to inform me that "Steam is giving me some error when I try to play HL2".
This was quite annoying itself but upon looking at his box I discovered Steam telling me that HL2 was *not* ready to be played in offline mode and I would, like duh obviously, have to try it in online mode.
Anyways I reconnected and fixed that up..

Arriving finally at the LAN later that day I immediately started a HL2DM server. My two friends there both started Steam and, of course, couldn't play HL2DM. Why? Offline mode that was ready now wasn't.

So eventually they had to spend some money and go online to fix steam. As well.

The secret to avoiding such annoyance BTW, seems to be to start HL2 after an update but while online. Whatever Steam says about "offline" mode is, naturally, bullshit.

Of course this stupidity dosen't stop there. When trying to start Steam with no internet connection we must either disconnect the LAN for steam startup or wait about 10 minutes for Steam to tell us "OMG I can't find an internet connection!! Do you wanna use offline mode? Oh btw, HL2 won't be playable anyways couse you didn't start it after the last update! Have a nice day..".

Argh. Maybe I'm alone with these problems. In any event my (and others') anger towards Steam is *completely* unwarranted and without cause. Too bad the effect seems so real!

I feel the same, it has it's ups and downs but I don't whine about it

Well, Steam is cool... except wen it gives me punishing problems playing the game.

I've used my pc and HL2 in LANs before and had no prob with offline mode... I dont know how many peeps have the problem you are having.. But it hasnt done that to me before

I'm not having a whine. Much.

On a completely unrelated note...I'm not supporting Steam. At least until some of this crap is fixed up - honestly would it be so hard for the connect attempt to timeout a *little* earlier?

ktimekiller said:
ahh im not going to make it, im going to sleep right now

NOOO!.... YOU CAN DO IT!...

Just play some DM for awhile,that will get you pumped up!

hmm well he could be right but tbh it doesnt bother me since I use the internet on a regular basis so I have no problems. Its a bit of a bastard for those who either dont have the internet or have to pay per minute

FragBait0 said:
I'm not having a whine. Much.

On a completely unrelated note...I'm not supporting Steam. At least until some of this crap is fixed up - honestly would it be so hard for the connect attempt to timeout a *little* earlier?

I didn't say you were whining, I said Bigbot was whining. :cheese:

It's a bastard on dial-up where you pay for each call.
It's a bastard at a LAN when you can't play it.
It's a bastard when your CPU is randomly crunching stuff for it for no good reason.
It's a bastard when it crashes.
It's a bastard when it freezes.
It's a bastard when it crashes your whole system.
It's a bastard when it freezes your whole system.
It's a bastard when it starts updating when you're ingame.
It's a bastard when it starts chewing memory like mad for no good reason.

It's a bastard to me because all those things have happened to me.

It's a bastard for too many people.

EDIT: Danimal - I didn't mean to look like I was taking it that way..:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back