Avatar: FernGully 2: Pocahontas Dances With Smurfs In Space In 3D On Ice

3D adds nothing to a movie, other than a pointless and gimmicky crowd pleaser that pretty much confirms the movie will be less intelligent. I have never seen any application of 3D and said, "Well that certainly made for a better movie!"

I agree, it's definitely gimmicky, but not once in Avatar did it resort to a cheap shot where all these objects rapidly move towards and past the viewer to "enhance" their experience with the film. All of the 3D feature films in recent memory have done EXACTLY this and its always annoying every time it happens because it feels like they decided to make the entire film in 3D just for those shots.

3D adds nothing to a movie, other than a pointless and gimmicky crowd pleaser that pretty much confirms the movie will be less intelligent. I have never seen any application of 3D and said, "Well that certainly made for a better movie!"
I agree, it's definitely gimmicky, but not once in Avatar did it resort to a cheap shot where all these objects rapidly move towards and past the viewer to "enhance" their experience with the film. All of the 3D feature films in recent memory have done EXACTLY this and its always annoying every time it happens because it feels like they decided to make the entire film in 3D just for those shots.
I have to agree. While 3D is entertaining, it didn't really add a whole lot to the viewing experience.

Actually, I change my mind. While it doesn't make a whole new movie, I think, if done properly, it can add more to the movie going experience. We "see" in 3d, so doesn't it make sense to make a movie to look that way? Over the past 100 years of film making, studios have always tried to introduce "gimmicks" into movies in order to heighten the experience to match how we actually see and hear things in the real world. Started with color, then widescreen, and then moved onto sound. But it didn't stop there: film started to produce clearer images with better cameras, and audio really went places, from mono to thundering surround sound. What would we do without these gimmicks?

If handled correctly, 3D may fall right in with these advancements. I've seen a handful of 3D movies so far: Beowulf, Nightmare Before Christmas, UP, Coraline, and now Avatar. Beowulf wasn't too impressive, it kept feeling like stuff was flying at you from the screen (cheap thrills). UP was good, but nothing to get excited about. But Coraline, Nightmare Before Christmas and Avatar handle it wonderfully, it made me feel like I was really there. The technology has a ways to go for 3D, but I see it becoming a quality standard for movies in the future. It may seem like a gimmick to help promote Avatar, but what about other movies and their gimmicks? Imagine if The Dark Knight was released in mono, standard size (4:3), and has less than stellar film quality. People would be bitching to no end, despite that film having a wonderful story and characters.

Now if they can just get 3D to work without glasses

800px-Snapshot20091101160042.jpg
What do you want? You want food? Look at me, I just fell down a hill, I’m soaking wet. I don’t have any food. I have no food on me. I have nothing on me. Go on!

alkc3k.png

Holy shit, dude got ripped. I didnt even know he ever lost any of that weight. Look at his arm! His muscles look like steel cables!

And hes dead?

I said that when I saw Up. I havent seen many 3D movies, because it always seemed stupid, but I felt more immersed when watching Up in 3D.

3D haters are ballsacks. 3D just makes a movie more enjoyable, not better, but enjoyable. I would watch a shitty movie in 3D just cause. It's not about "intelligence", it's about entertainment, enjoying yourselves.

Saw it with a friend, alright movie. Nothing spectacular.

I think the opposite. It's an amazing movie and a welcome change from anthropoentric sci-fi.

Saw it with a friend, alright movie. Nothing spectacular.

I agree. Saw it with family. 3/4 of us gave it an "OK" (although I always default to "ok" so my vote doesn't really count for much), and my sister thought it was "good."

Aside from there being prettily colored stuff to look at, and flying on giant birds being cool just because everyone would probably like to be able to fly on one, I didn't think it was that special.

OMG BLUE ALIENS HAVING SEX THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

Saw this the other day. Think the same as everyone else, amazing visually and no need to worry about the plot as the director certainly didn't!

Saw this the other day. Think the same as everyone else, amazing visually and no need to worry about the plot as the director certainly didn't!

He certainly did. The movie's a good example of fiction adhering to Chekhov's gun principle, with little unnecessary elements and pretty much everything adequately explained.

Now, gamer's plug: anyone notice a lot of similiarities between Avatar and Albion?

Sod the children, think of US.

Avatar has now broken the 1 billion mark, placing it 4th in the "top grossing movies of all time" category. 1st is Titanic, 2nd LotR: Return of the King, and 3rd Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Mans Chest. But seeing that its only been in the theaters for a few weeks, it'll probably topple one (or most) of those films.

more info here: http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

He certainly did. The movie's a good example of fiction adhering to Chekhov's gun principle, with little unnecessary elements and pretty much everything adequately explained.
Oh I meant more in terms of the background story and how things in the world work, not in terms of plot. The sci-fi aspect, not the story progression. The fact that the mineral is just called unobtainium and why its so valuable is never touched upon, nor how those floating mountains work or anything.

I must admit the planet being covered in a giant neural network of trees with the Na'vi uploading imprints of themselves into it, re-enforcing their view on the systems of life and quite possibly creating a deity in the process is interesting, but seeing as I don't know that much about sci-fi I assume this is probably an idea that's been around in books for ages.

Oh I meant more in terms of the background story and how things in the world work, not in terms of plot. The sci-fi aspect, not the story progression. The fact that the mineral is just called unobtainium and why its so valuable is never touched upon, nor how those floating mountains work or anything.

Its a high temperature super-conductor. Very useful apparently.

I don't think it needed to be expanded on TBH, the substance served no use to the plot beyond what we needed to and already knew. It was an important mineral, important enough to warrant near-future humanity going all the way to Pandora just to mine it and ship it back.

It makes sense, its not like the inaccessible inhospitable climates on Earth are being explored and exploited for the fun of it.

The lack of more governmental/international presence is a bit weird but again, it is a very distant planet that by near-future standards is hard to get to, the beginning of the super-corporations sci-fi often involves no doubt?

I must admit the planet being covered in a giant neural network of trees with the Na'vi uploading imprints of themselves into it, re-enforcing their view on the systems of life and quite possibly creating a deity in the process is interesting, but seeing as I don't know that much about sci-fi I assume this is probably an idea that's been around in books for ages.

The background has been thought out, all that was explained in the scriptment I read but presumably cut due to pacing or length issues.
The neural network thing has been done in various forms a few times: Face of the Waters, Word for World is Forest.

I thought it was decent. Much better than Indy4/Ep1 unlike whoever said it wasn't earlier in the thread.

There were a lot of things I would've changed:

1. Cheesy script.
  2. They messed up the main character early on for me. They made him come across as a potentially nice guy loner type because of his legs, but then he gets in the avatar and runs around like a dickhead, and when the animal runs off he starts shouting at it like a retarded 15 year old. I know he was meant to be a dumb marine at this point but it made me hate him from the start.
  3. Then he steals the girlfriend of the warrior-guy-with-the-constantly-frowning-face-making-us-hate-him-so-we-don't-mind-when-his-girl-cheats-on-him-with-the-boring-protagonist. Then the protag shows no humility infront of the guy. Fair enough if they weren't properly "an item", but still... Luckily the guy had an awesome death scene.
  4. The latino-chick-from-Lost's friendship with them was a bit rushed. I don't buy that she'd go so far to help them escape all of a sudden. And she refuses to fire at the tree saying "I didn't sign up for this"... eh, sorry? What part of "Gunship Pilot" did you not sign up for, dumbass?
  5. Needed more humour (montage scenes with laughing don't count). Sigourney Weaver's char had some slight humourous/bonding moments like forcing him to eat etc and came across as the most "human" character because of it.
  6. Giovanni Ribisi's unobtainium guy was a bit 2D. Maybe he could've been taking orders from above him to make him a bit more interesting.
  7. In the 1 hour that the protagonist was given, he failed to tell the Na'vi that they had to move because of the unobtainium. "By the way... the humans only want the unobtainium, so would you mind moving to the other side of the planet so you and your children don't needlessly die?"
  8. Protags Aussie accent slipped a lot on the voice-overs - could've been redone.

Just saw it.

Plot was disappointing. After seeing all the trailers which portrayed it as simple and generic, it was much better than I expected at first. Still simple and generic, but at least well-executed, written, and acted. Then just before the final battle everything suddenly took a nosedive, the humans became cartoon villains and the Na'vi became Mary Sues with no flaws or weaknesses, and it all ends with the big bad humans leaving and everyone else living happily ever after. Yawn.

Visuals and action deserve all the praise they could get, the final battle especially was a delight to watch. Although with all the emphasis on Pandora's danger, I think there should have been a few dangerous plants.

Overall, it's pretty much what everyone has been saying: Revolutionary special effects and directing, with a well-executed but ultimately boring plot.

A lot of the criticisms about the lack of exposition... people, if Cameron was supposed to include everything, Avatar would be a lot longer. 4 hours, anyone?

Look around the web for Avatar B-reels, recordings of behind the scenes material, including several scenes not present in the movie, including the RDA admin trying to show some spine to Quaritch (and failing miserably) and the Na'Vi strike on Hell's Gate (from the perspective of the control tower).

Also, seriously. Please show me a movie plot that isn't inherently simple.

Saw this in 3D at the Imax today. Kicked total ass and easily one of my most enjoyed films of the last year. It was everything I was expecting and maybe even a little bit more.

Looking forward to a director's cut.

Why people still moaning about poor story? District 9 had almost identical plot and everyone was saying how great and even deep it was...

****sake i'd like to go see this before i go back to uni on sat but all my idiot friends would rather go see sherlock holmes or not go to the cinema at all. the ****.

sherlock holmes is probly better than this anyway >_>

Lol, usual haters hate. :cheese: I went to the IMAX 3D screening to watch an entertaining movie to get entertained. It was really great in my opinion but this movie has a lot of funny/awkward stuff.

1. Somebody brought up the whole trusting bit at the start. I was wondering about that too.
  2. The umbilical chord thing. Why do all creatures have a power chord to make them your "bitch"? I actually compare this to Pokemon or slavery.
  3. Sigourney Weaver is awesome and is nude at the end.
  4. This is the Star Craft movie! The Terran marines need moar minerals, they had the mechs, the aliens do Zerg rushes, they even had the commander ship.
  5. Yes this is Fern Gully but I don't care. They even had a tree of life. Also I laughed at Sigourney Weaver when she was like "omg what happened between you 2 furries in the tree of souls". YEA I WONDER WHAT THE 2 FURRIES DID ALL ALONE IN LOVE IN THAT TREE RIPLEY.
  6. Furry sex and "can I put my umbilical chord into your umbilical chord"? :p Only that I watched alien furry sex in 3D, paid $12.50 to see it, on a 3 story tall IMAX screen.
  7. Amazing visuals with a good story.
  8. The commander is epic along with his boss battle moment.
  9. When Jake gets his first bird, he almost gets eaten by a WAY more cooler evolved Pokemon. Luckily he abandons his first flying mount and makes the way cooler bird his new mount. Later furry girl with her small breasts loves him again because of his new epic mount. :naughty:

So really the movie is great but the real underlying fact about this movie is about the birds and the bees.

Just saw, a very good film. 8/10 probably. Saw it in 3D (not IMAX, we don't have that shit here), but it was a bit ruined as we sat on the edge of the row, I think it works better if you're sitting in the middle. Certainly a very obvious anti-imperialism theme to the movie, I felt that the alien were a bit inspired by native american culture. Cameron succeeded in making a very believable and wonderful world, and the visuals were stunning. That being said, it was very predictable at times, and no actor really stood out (in fact, the main actor actually gave a pretty weak performance).

My biggest problem with the plot was the fact that the big evil mining corporations was the only one interested in the new planet. Wouldn't national governments, international organisations and other corporations be stationed there too?

BTW, Cameron has already planned to make two sequals.

Back