Battlefield 2 demo - First impressions

lister said:
i like the game, i just wish they wudhave left the controls to same as BF1942, the choppers especially feel really sluggish, the planes are allright, but they stutter abit.

I think when the vehicles blow-up the effect is abit shite, needs more smoke, more fire. All it seems to do is bang, then explodes - dissapears.

Overall 7 1/2 out of 10

Did you play it on your own computer?

cadaver said:
the turning speed on choppers are ridiculously slow.

Thats why for sharp turns you should bank the chopper.

omg i am so jealous of you guys. I don't have my gaming rig here yet (Lubbock, TX) since i moved and I think it's going to be two more weeks without it.

btw when is the full version released?

Adidajs said:
omg i am so jealous of you guys. I don't have my gaming rig here yet (Lubbock, TX) since i moved and I think it's going to be two more weeks without it.

btw when is the full version released?

In 12 days, so your timing might be splendid.

i think it is a bit average tbh. and i dont know what the deal is with the lag. even when ive got a 28 ping its just slow. animations are slow, people just pop up from nowhere and stutter aross the screen. i think its over-rated and exactly what i was expecting from an electronic arts game

its lots of fun.. but i do agree with you bodhi, still its got the potential to be the best online mp FPS so far, it reminds me more of joint ops now, and thats a good thing because joint ops felt good to play.

Sparta said:
What the **** is with this game and stuttering? It stutters worse then HL2 ever did, and the first time i played through the Water Hazard level in HL2 it ****ing sucked. This is ten times worse and it only happens in MP. But why not SP? It plays fine in singleplayer with everything on high, each with 4xAA. But in MP it stutters like mad.

It can't be my connection because i've got 48 ping most of the time. What the **** is wrong?
exactly this prob i have, and crashes on me too, very annoyed and disappointed, so wanted it to be good, luckily i managed to get a few good rounds in with shaker, played for 3 hours or so we did, very enjoyable when i get a stutter free or relatively free round, like you said its a million times worse than hl2.

Ritz said:
Thats why for sharp turns you should bank the chopper.

Exactly. Ritz knows what's up. She was in our badass squad covering us from the air a lot.

They tried to make choppers more realistic this time around. Not having played BF:V I can only speak for DC...but DC choppers were ridiculous. I loved them, but they were horribly unrealistic. You could point straight down and just circle around a target for a few seconds while you blasted away at it and still recover perfectly. Not to mention the barrel rolls and flips you could do :p

I'm really sorry that there's a big problem of stuttering and crashing out there. So far I've had one crashing problem but that was when I tried to load the map. I had been playing the game all day without restart so I restarted and it worked fine.

That being said - My Xfire list has been exploding with add's and 90% of them are playing the BF2 Demo....this game is huge and I love it.

jimbo118 said:
exactly this prob i have, and crashes on me too, very annoyed and disappointed, so wanted it to be good, luckily i managed to get a few good rounds in with shaker, played for 3 hours or so we did, very enjoyable when i get a stutter free or relatively free round, like you said its a million times worse than hl2.

PUNKBUSTER does that.

That goes for Sparta too.

I love everything about it. After many rounds of playing in the hl2.net squad, I can say that if you have a good squad with people who intelligently pick objectives then it is incredibly fun. I played with Amish last nigh, and we had a full boat of our squad with the helo giving us cover from the air. We went directly to the MEC arillery and radar and took them out (because everyone took a class that was needed, we had heavy support, special forces, assault, medics etc) Then we hijacked the MEC vehicles and took off within minutes in their tank, buggy helo and airplane. Holy crap.

The infantry combat is better than any other game. I would buy the game even if it came with no vehicles whatsoever. I remember in that same game our squad had like 8 15 minute stand offs when we were trying to take over and the other team wouldnt budge. There were people dying left and right, medics reviving right and left, tracers filling the air, people screaming "I NEED A MEDIC" helo's in the air dropping payloads on both sides, artillery blowing everything to hell, dogfights in the air, tanks rumbling over to the enemy trying to give the infantry time to push up, only to explode seconds after getting in the enemy's firing range. Hot damn it was fun.

As for vehicles, the ground vehicles are great. Tanks are just like they were in the other bf games, but as with everything, they are faster. Pinning people between walls/sandbags/trees with the buggy is awesome in the whole sence of the word. Helos are the perfect aid to infantry, some with huge payloads, others with transportation ability. Even the transpotation one packs massive punch. I remember in one of those stalemates, I had died, and respawned in the transportation helo, I was on a minigun when we flew over the ground fight and I unleashed hell on the enemy. I killed like 5 people or so, and when we landed soon after, our infantry was moving foreward, and with the help of us from the helo were able to over run the location. *drools*

Finally airplanes. They fly fast. If I didnt have my joystick I would be dead two seconds after lift off hahah. The dogfights are intense, weaving, dodging, barrel rolling, backflipping and "full reverse thrusters!"ing. The little siren that goes off when someone has you locked on makes your adrenaline skyrocket, and everything from then on is just instinct as you try to manuever so that you loose the heatseeker and the pursuing enemy jet. When we get the 64 person map these fights will be beyond anything I could have imagined.

Krynn72 said:
Even the transpotation one packs massive punch. I remember in one of those stalemates, I had died, and respawned in the transportation helo, I was on a minigun when we flew over the ground fight and I unleashed hell on the enemy. I killed like 5 people or so, and when we landed soon after, our infantry was moving foreward, and with the help of us from the helo were able to over run the location. *drools*
You're right, that gatling cannon on the transport has immense power. We were flying high up above the coastline section where the three bases are, too far up to see soldiers, and I fired a 2-3 second burst in the general direction of one of the MEC-controlled bases - it killed 5 people!

200 Mb left... It should be finished by 9 :D Then I can play until 5 in the morning... then I can fail my RS GCSE tomorrow :D Wonderful.

Aahh, finally got the file to work.
I've played for about five hours so far, and it's truely an amazing demo. I usually played with 32 people with no lag at all. Although I have most settings on low it still looks good. The controls seem perfect, very well balanced, the planes fly similar to 1942, which is good (although I do find them harder to barrel roll now). I also like how the tanks don't move 2 miles and hour, and you can actually go somewhere with them.

Datrix's rating = 10/10 :thumbs: :E

But now I must pull myself away to complete a huge end-of-term project, that is due tomorrow. :(

I hope to see all you people in game later. :cheers:

how long did it take you guys to create an online account?

Everytime i do it, it just puts me to the creating account screen, then after like 30 min ill click on it try to restart and it says there is already an account with that email address, but i dont have it.

brink's said:
how long did it take you guys to create an online account?
20 seconds, maybe? It went pretty smoothly for me.

I also agree that the key to this game is getting in a good squad. In my first online game, I played solo, pretty much just doing my own thing and getting maimed horribly for it. I was invited to the HL2.net squad next time around, and it was then that I truly learned of the messiah-like qualities of Battlefield 2. Words cannot describe the utterly frenetic chaos that is being part of a squad. Basically, it gives the game focus - instead of just randomly running around, you are on an adrenaline-fueled quest for supremacy. Everyone on the squad depends on everyone else, and the teamwork element of the game shines like no other game can.

Having had no interest whatsoever in this game 3 days ago, I can safely say that I'll be clawing my way to the door of Best Buy on June 22nd! :)

Wow.. This is a great game. Remember BF1942 and BF:Vietnam? Well, this game is nearly the same in gameplay, but better in everything else.

jus had my first online game :).

a few hl2.netters were there too, really enjoyable, even if i have a crap rig.

im updating soon anyway. (geforce 6800gt and 1gig.):D

Can you play with 32 player in singleplayer, cause I really want to practice flying helicopters while as i see fit, and not just **** it for my teammates by hoging the copters.

Grey Fox said:
Can you play with 32 player in singleplayer, cause I really want to practice flying helicopters while as i see fit, and not just **** it for my teammates by hoging the copters.

Start your own password server. You can run around freely and mess with the vehicles.

I have just been playing this the last four hours and now my bottom jaw is all dusty from sitting on the floor.This game is possibly one of the easiest games to learn I have ever played, and yet it has many fine intricacies meaning you will be playing it for ages afterwards. In my first full online round I got a rather respectable 28-15 K/D ratio which I was quite proud of. The vehicle handling is exceptional, especially the MDEC (Is that it?) APC. I am yet to get to grips with multi-tasking in jet fighters and helicopters and mainly use them for transport. The weapons are the most enjoyable I have ever used with the ironsights making it much easier to aim and adjust your shot. (I've always preferred iron sights to crosshairs.)

The one map included appears to include every playstyle available with some open desert areas, some urban streets and a river winding it's way up the centre. The way the map enlarges with more players seems to work very, very well and each time it feels like a new map.

Grey Fox said:

Create a local game with 64 players, you will get "Round starts when 1 more player joins" in the middle of your screen, but you can still go around flying and driving etc.

The helicopters rock, its fun hovering around an enemy outpost and helping your team mates take over it.

I mostly play as the Americans, as I like their AH-1z better than MEC's Mi-28A helicopter.

Only thing I dislike about helicopters, is that most pilots dont think about there gunner.. For example, If im flying a heli with a gunner, I wont just fly around the map like crazy (Pauly Im talking to you x.x) I will hover over people, long as theres no rocket fire, and let the gunner take them out.

Ritz said:
Only thing I dislike about helicopters, is that most pilots dont think about there gunner.. For example, If im flying a heli with a gunner, I wont just fly around the map like crazy (Pauly Im talking to you x.x) I will hover over people, long as theres no rocket fire, and let the gunner take them out.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing too. Except sometimes the gunners are so impatient and bail out from the heli. :(

Many players don't want to be a gunner though (at least when I have played), which is pretty sad because they can be very effective sometimes.

I enjoy being a gunner, but I much rather be behind the wheel.

Attachments

• See Im pretty good.jpg
    See Im pretty good.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Good with planes too.jpg
    Good with planes too.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 250
Lemonking said:
for me its more like a 9.8
Yeah but i remember the Tobruk demo for BF1942 being the best map in the game. I'd say it'll probably get a high 8's low 9's. Mid 9's at best

Well, after two days of waiting, a parts order from Newegg, a video card switcharoo, and multiple false diagnosises, I'm finally loading up the BF2 demo.

i caught my brother playing the demo...and yeah, it looks fun.
guess i will give it a try even tho i never really got into the BF series previously.

Back