Battlefield 3

The hell is a "nurf?"

The tank one on Caspian made me lol. Can't wait to see how the IRNV and flashlight changes play.

Good/FINALLY!/this better not be a halfassed fix:
- Fixed a problem where camera would change to 3rd person on killcam when killcam was turned off in server settings
- Fixed a problem where TV guided missiles could be shot into its own helicopter and destroy it
- Tweaked the chat, it should now be a bit easier to read
- Added alternate HUD colors to help colorblinds
- Added a network interpolation setting. This allows users with good bandwidth reduce latency, but might increase some stuttering. The user can find what works best for his connection by tweaking the slider.
- Increased the Spawn protection radius on TDM
- Fixed a problem where player dies if vaulting over a ledge and into water while sprinting
- You can now reassign cycle weapons
- Tweaked the max vehicle height on Noshahar Canals

Wha.... how is this a good fix?:
- Fixed so AT mines only live for 20 seconds after a player dies to prevent infinite mines. (We want to make a different fix in the future, it’s in JIRA).

BOOOOOO:
- Decreased the power of Miniguns against Jets and Helicopters.
Overall I think I'll be very happy with this update. Still waiting on VOIP and custom squads, though.

Ive just unlocked guided rockets for attack choppers but the description dosnt really make it very clear what they doo. Are they auto guided towards vehicle targets and score more hits or something? Or they just go a little further?? Just a little confused with that one.

Ive just unlocked guided rockets for attack choppers but the description dosnt really make it very clear what they doo. Are they auto guided towards vehicle targets and score more hits or something? Or they just go a little further?? Just a little confused with that one.

My friend says they're a bit crazy. Apparently you just point in the direction of a vehicle and shoot. They all hit and you win some kills.

Wha.... how is this a good fix?:
- Fixed so AT mines only live for 20 seconds after a player dies to prevent infinite mines. (We want to make a different fix in the future, it’s in JIRA).

To prevent people from spawning,just putting down 3 mines, and forgetting about them. Then at the end of the game, B on Caspian Border is a minefield.

As much as mines living on is a 'pain' after the user dies, they are only a nuisance if you drive in blindly, as they're so easy to counter. One grenade alone can wipe a mine-field on a road. And you get the lovely explosives ribbon and 20 points per mine for blowing them up. About 150 points for clearing a field sometimes.

90% of my time in a tank now is scanning the road ahead, as even without thermal vision, they can be seen.

Still easy to rack up the kills with them on drivers that aren't switched on. Though on saying that, I'm surprised nobody is really abusing them. Yet to see a map where it was just mines bloody EVERYWHERE. Chokepoints yes, but not where I randomly place them and get a kill now and then.

And they're nowhere near as powerful as the ones in Bad Company 2, with the explosives perk adding damage, one mine there equalled a dead tank.

The ideal fix would be to copy what BC2 did - you get a max of 6 mines that never disappear due to your death. Removing them 20 seconds after death is an ENORMOUS disincentive to using them, to the point where they're almost completely marginalised.

Perhaps I didn't see it but what ever happened to horns for jeeps? Thought they were due last update? Surely they can't be that difficult to add.

edit: Is it just me or have disconnects and time outs become more and more frequent? Since release I haven't had any problems with it but the past 5 days I don't think I've played more than 3 complete games. The rest either ctd, I get disconnected from EA online, or the connection times out.

currently rocking the KH2002 (?) for assault and the a91 as engineer (finally a weapon worth using for that class, plus i'm trying to unlock the javelin) and i'm really enjoying them both. the KH is nice because it's good to use a rifle that isn't following the same formula or aesthetic of a M4/M16 or a AK and it just feels right/tight, y'know? lots of range to it, not a fat lot of jitter in close quarters and, again, it's just nice to use a rifle that doesn't look like all of the rest. feel pretty unique with it because it's seldom seen thanks to the high co-op score required, but i thought i might work for it to get at it before everyone else rinses it.

A-91 feels like such domination in close quarters, though. operation metro is just no mercy in tight confines, don't even need to look down the iron sights to get a clean kill, it just feels like i have proper good control of this weapon because of it's fairly small size. not sure what it is about it, but i'm really liking it. also: it looks cool.

New PC patch tomorrow (tuesday, Dec 6th, at 8am UK time).

This, the developer explains, will coincide with a separate update it will undertake with the game's servers, which will bring down the service "for some hours" from around 8AM UK Time.

It'll be a whopping 2GB (because it includes data for the Back to Karkand DLC Pack) and will be mandatory due to its incompatibility with older clients.

Here's the full change log:

Bugfixes

Fixed a problem with spawn timer now showing blue border on startup and lost spawn point

Fixed a problem where player who joined queuing on End of round got spawn screen stuck on screen, but unable to do anything with it untill next round loaded

Fixed a problem where camera would change to 3rd person on killcam when killcam was turned off in server settings

Fixed stat references on several dogtags

Fixed for surveillance ribbon not counting TUGS

Fixed a missing combat area lines on the minimap for Grand Bazaar conquest small

Moved a tank spawn in US base on Caspian Border so it would not be destroyed by a falling tree

Fixed a problem where placing C4 with the russians soldier was playing US faction VO

Fixed a problem where TV guided missiles could be shot into its own helicopter and destroy it

Fixed a problem when attempting to fire lock on weapons without a target

Tweaked the chat, it should now be a bit easier to read

Fixed several vehicles that did not properly shoot rockets and guns towards their predictive sights

Fixed the G17 Supressed Laser not working properly

Added alternate HUD colors to help colorblinds

Added a network interpolation setting. This allows users with good bandwidth reduce latency, but might increase some stuttering. The user can find what works best for his connection by tweaking the slider.

Increased the Spawn protection radius on TDM

Fixed a problem with smoke on land vehicles, Missiles should now miss more often

Fixed a problem where users could end up with IRNV scope in any vehicle

Fixed a problem where player dies if vaulting over a ledge and into water while sprinting

Fixed several crashes and increased general stability

Fixed a problem where the user was unable to revive two players that have the bodies one over the other

Fixed so you can assign an axis and use as a digital input. This makes it possible for the player (on pc) to assign one of the sticks on a gameped to be used for throttle/brake.

Fixed a problem with the Kill camera acting up when suiciding from parachute

Fixed air radar was showing to much. now lasertagged, heatsignature above threshold, enemy missiles and capture points are only visible on air radar

Fixed a problem where the game would enter a technical hang if the user pressed pause menu and tilde at the same time

Fixed a problem where you could get green flashes on screen

You can now reassign cycle weapons

Fixed so the weapon zooms automatically after bipod deploy is gone when using zoom toggle

Fixed a problem where the parachute would stay stuck in air if the owner was killed

Balance Tweaks

Fixed several weapons so they are properly suppressed and hide the player on the minimap when fired.

Tweaked Tactical Light so it is not as blinding over longer ranges.

Tweaked the IRNV scope so it is limited to usage only at close range.

Reduced heat masking effectiveness of Spec Ops Camo.

Fixed a bug where Ammo spec would give additional 40mm grenades instead of Frag spec.

Increased the number of additional 40mm grenades from Frag spec.

Fixed so AT mines only live for 20 seconds after a player dies to prevent infinite mines. (We want to make a different fix in the future, it's in JIRA).

Increased the Time to Live on sniper caliber rounds to allow extreme distance shots.

Fixed several weapon descriptions, calibers, and fire rates. The weapons themselves have not changed.

Fixed so the M9 and MP443 pistol can be equipped by the opposing faction when it is unlocked at 100 kills.

Fixed Laser Guided Missiles missing their targets if the target is moving too fast.

Reduced the effectiveness of Stealth on Air Vehicles.

Reduced the effectiveness of Beam Scanning for Jets.

Reduced the damage done to Armored Vehicles and Infantry from AA guns.

Increased the damage RPGs and Tank shells do to AA vehicles.

Slightly decreased the accuracy for all weapons on fully automatic, burst fire is now preferable at mid to long range.

Increased the effective accuracy of long bursts for LMGs when using a bipod.

Slightly increased the range of the 44magnum bullets.

Increased the close range damage of 4.6x30mm and 5.7x28mm bullets.

Increased the reload time of the Mortar from 3.5sec to 4.8sec and increased the time it takes before a shell hits the ground.

Reduced the aimed accuracy bonus given by a Suppressor for the MP7, P90, PP2000, PP-19, and UMP45.

Increased the range and FOV for designating targets with the SOFLAM and vehicle Laser Designators.

Decreased the effectiveness of 12g FRAG ammo when equipped on semi-automatic and automatic shotguns.

Slightly Increased the power of Fighter Jet Cannons against all vehicle targets, especially Helicopters.

Decreased the power of Miniguns against Jets and Helicopters.

Increased the power of Stingers against Jets.

Flares reload times for Jets and Helicopter Gunners have been increased.

Tweaked the AN94 so its burst fire better conveys the real world advantage offered by this weapon.

Added Single Shot to the AN94 as an available fire mode.

Slightly increased the recoil on the M416 and removed the Burst Fire mode (this weapon incorrectly had burst fire, which was not authentic).

Tweaked the spawns for TDM on Kharg Island, Grand Bazaar, Caspian Border, Seine Crossing, Operation Firestorm, Damavand Peak and Noshahar Canals

Moved a tank spawn in US base on Caspian Border so it would not be destroyed by a falling tree

Tweaked the Gas station Capture area on Conquest on Caspian Border

Tweaked the max vehicle height on Noshahar Canals

Min player requirements

Also, it will once again be possible to reduce the number of players required to start a round to 1 both in ranked and unranked mode. We changed it back after getting a lot of negative feedback from both individuals and the RSP companies.

Our plan is to introduce a warm-up mode, where players can move about and play the game, but with scoring disabled; then, when the number of players goes above the threshold -- that's when the real round starts.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/328305/battlefield-3-pc-update-coming-december-6/

Awwwwwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaah.

Have to say, I agree with pretty much every change listed.

man you would think there have been like three patches released in the last week with how many times people up different things. i thought this patch was meant to hit like, last week for pc and it would be coming out this week for consoles?

Oh god, I'm SO HAPPY they have included an alternative HUD for colour blind people. This has been the bane of my Battlefield experience for so many years, as its impossible for me to tell squad and enemy icons apart, resulting in many deaths and teamkills. I sincerely hope they got it right, or at least give me the option to set the colours for myself (<3 Audiosurf for letting me do this).

Once they add squad commands via squad based commo rose, commands voiced on a radio and text (like in BF2)... I will be happy.

Holy christ, the update for PC is 3.9gb...***k me. Almost 2 hours of download. Skyrim it is then.

I dont see what the VOIP issue is, for PC users anyway.

Console versions are..actually, dont care about them. For a PC user not having VOIP? Surely Vent, Mumble or even Skype are viable alternatives? The argument stands that you want to be able to communicate during the game, via VOIP, which is perfectly understandable.

Not like CoD though where anyone can talk and it just becomes an insult match between kids. Even teams is annoying. Squads? Well, frankly, I always muted my squad every match in BC2 as it was either someone with a mic on constantly breathing, someone playing music, kids crying in the background, dogs barking, people talking, people shouting etc etc. Vast majority of the time, nobody used VOIP for the main purpose, and those that did, well, nobody in the squad listened.

So that leaves competitive play. Which is arguably clans, where people know each other either in real life or through the clan. So it's safe to say...Vent, Mumble, Skype etc are alternatives as you want to play with these people, ie people you know already, so I dont see how hard it is to organise a get-together on Vent etc.

Both sides of the argument are viable, and I understand why it should be in there as standard, but I think the cons far outweigh it as people will do what they will always do; abuse it and become so ***king annoying that you curse the day DICE added it in. I just dont think not having VOIP is something to cry so much about.

The point isn't whether or not there are viable alternatives. The point is that a game billed as a) competitive, b) cutting-edge, and c) PC-first, lacks features that were present a decade ago.

The "in-game" VOIP only lets you talk to Battlelog party members. If they are merely your team or squadmates, you have to use text chat (which again, SINCE THE ****ING ---ALPHA---, has obscured nearly a third of the screen, in a design aspect that everyone else and their mothers axed back in 1993), or hope that the server admins bought their own Mumble or Vent server along with somehow conjuring everyone in the server onto voice comm. Even if you've got everyone in your Battlelog party, there is literally zero guarantee whatsoever that you will EVER end up in the same team, let alone the same squad. It seems there is no communication at all between Battlelog and BF3, except to exchange error messages and server-join commands.

To add to that, Battlelog VOIP doesn't even work as reliably as Vent or Mumble. And, it's another vector of performance and reliability degradation, compared to just bundling all the menu and comm functionality into the game itself.

All you have to do to see how disgusting this is, is compare BF3 to Counter-Strike. A ****ing decade-old mod does competitive FPS better than a game developed to be a competitive FPS in the year 2011. CS players get competitive-quality communication for free. BF3 players... have to shell out for a Vent server rental. On top of paying for the BF3 server itself. Which is forcibly more expensive than other games' servers because EA charges the server providers a license fee per slot.

I'm sorry for being such a loudmouth, but it's basic, primal game design, not even specific to FPS, and it's just not even present in the game. It's like building a SWAT team, giving them carrier pigeons instead of radios, and telling the officers to suck it up and buy set of Nerf walkie-talkies if they're having so much difficulty not dying in combat.

I think by "business perspective" they mean it's too costly for them to host VOIP for their entire player base, and I can understand that, even if I don't necessarily support it (since BF2 had it, for instance). And I don't think you can both complain about BF3's unreliable Battlelog VOIP and complain about no in-game ad-hoc VOIP, because would you really want to use it in that case? Regarding vent, aren't there free alternatives which are just as good?

The business perspective is that they have a contract to use ESN Sonar in Battlelog. Which I would be fine with, if Battlelog and BF3 co-ordinated parties and voice comm in any way at all, but they don't. I want to be clear that the real problem is that every solution we're presented with, by DICE and EA, is inherently halfassed. I'm not mad that VOIP doesn't work full-stop, I'm mad that it's not reliable or functional enough for me to want to use.

I absolutely would want to use ad-hoc in-game VOIP, provided it's only with your team. The only problem is asshats, and if we have a mute function (which CS also had), then there's no problem.

Well, DICE IS EA, and there's your problem right there.

Thing is though, all it takes is for one big-wig director to have the same 'attitude' I have, that being there are alternatives around to their bugged/unreliable in-game VOIP, that they dont warrant want to change or improve it any time soon.

They have far too many unjustified whines and general tweaks to stabilise the game first. Which the new patch seems to have done. Didnt get a BF3 has stopped working error first server I connected too. Loaded quicker, and the game runs smoother. Yet to try a full server, guess alot of people are still downloading the patch after work etc, but it's certainly encouraging so far.

Yeah, at this point I'm wondering at statements from DICE and Bioware that basically state "We work with EA, but we have autonomy!" Which is true, I guess, because EA has autonomy over EA, and DICE and Bioware are now EA proper.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy that the game is being heavily patched like this, but to-date it's been a repeat of BC2 - fix the critical tech issues, add colourblind, say you're "looking into" issues that the community wants, and then hop on the hype train for the next Battlefield iteration.

patch seems pretty great so far
really like the changes made to the chatbox
and most importantly, for me, it`s much more stable... didn`t crashed (bf3.exe has stopped working) once in a couple hours of gameplay

I haven't played BF3 yet, but I'm a bit worried by what I hear. Why is it suddenly VOIP a problem from a business perspective? How about the common sense perspective? Let's face it - most players do not have a group of people to squad up with on a regular basis and if they want teamwork, they have to work with what they got. From playing a lot of BF2 and BF2142 I know it's not THAT uncommon for at least a few random people in a squad to communicate with each other and cooperate. But that communication is significantly hindered if you have to type to your squad! :|

Also, can you confirm this for me - squad management is present, you can create squads, invite and kick people, right?

I quite like what I saw from the patch during an hour playing. New chat window is a lot better. The flashlights are a lot better. Haven't tried out the IRNV.

How do squads get created then?

They're there by default. You (auto)-join one and you communicate to others which one you're in.

Karkand is out on PS3 today. Downloading the shit out of it now.

Next week for the rest of us, right? Really looking forward to it, post your impressions and especially comparisons to the original maps.

I quite like what I saw from the patch during an hour playing. New chat window is a lot better. The flashlights are a lot better. Haven't tried out the IRNV.

They're there by default. You (auto)-join one and you communicate to others which one you're in.

Next week for the rest of us, right? Really looking forward to it, post your impressions and especially comparisons to the original maps.
Yeah. Ps3 players are only getting it a week early. It might be a while before I can get any impressions. 758mb patch with a good hour left to go. My connection is being cocks right now.

Alright so. I've been playing for a good hour and a half. The maps are solid. The same as BF2, except everything blows up. A LOT. The destruction is a lot more like Bad Company than BF3. That is, there's more destruction than BF3 normally has. There's more added to them. You'll just have to see for yourself. The new weapons are cool. Only unlocked the FAMAS so far, which is a beastly Assault specific weapon. The rate of fire and power on that thing are amazing. Gulf of Oman is my favorite map so far.

Also Wake Island looks like shit because of the shitty effects and filters thrown on the engine. No color. Bright and brown and bloomy as shit. Anyway. Back To Karkand is great. Hope they release more maps soon. Or just go straight to making 2143. This game is getting pretty tiring.

the co-op can be so frustratingly annoying when major gameplay events are put in the hands of a complete moron i.e. the helicopter mission with someone else flying, the sniper mission with people not listening to the radio chatter on when to fire, etc. it's even more-so annoying because you have to go through the slllllllloooowwwww server browser, matchmaking and mission select areas all over again.

Ive just spammed the chopper mission for around 90 mins or so and got all the unlocks. Wont be playing it again thats fore sure.

the sniper mission with people not listening to the radio chatter on when to fire
This, FFS! And I wish there was a way to communicate with your partner beyond the mute spotting mechanism. "I'm shooting the guy on the right, you get the left one", "Uhh, stop dicking around and get to the blip that's so obvious on the HUD", and "Get your ass back here, you're going to die and I'm going to die trying to revive you" as some examples.

I'm waiting for someone to play the last mission with, then will probably replay the choppah mission until I get my SG (can you attest to whether it's actually useful?).

Ive just spammed the chopper mission for around 90 mins or so and got all the unlocks. Wont be playing it again thats fore sure.
This is 2-0. We need fire support ASAP!

the chopper one is an odd one, i spent at least 10 tries on that map and could never get past it. i was either a gunner with a shit pilot, and about twice i was the pilot and i panicked and crashed or was too to heavy-handed with the delicate controls. i load the map up again after a break from the co-op, become the pilot and in the first try i finish the mission. it helped that my gunner was effective, but once you learn the controls and don't go to mad with it, it's a nice piece of kit. too bad the multiplayer chopper handles way differently.

is that a good mission for getting points, then? i've been playing the easier ones because i know there's a certainty of finishing them (operation exodus, hit and run)

I was with some asshole in co-op and at the end of the game he decided to crash the chopper and cause us to fail the mission. Luckily, I got my unlock during the round, so I wasn't too pissed, but I don't understand why the guy had to be such a dick.

I'd be down tonight to do some co-op. I've only done exodus and the chopper mission thus far.

I was with some asshole in co-op and at the end of the game he decided to crash the chopper and cause us to fail the mission. Luckily, I got my unlock during the round, so I wasn't too pissed, but I don't understand why the guy had to be such a dick.
I actually did just that, but not intentionally. There we were wasting ammo and blowing stuff up waiting for the co-op to finish and then all of a sudden I got a fatal lag spike and my chopper continued on a straight (and downward) course, right into a water tower. Too bad you can't communicate in co-op AT ALL or else I would have explained the situation to the poor guy.

I actually did just that, but not intentionally. There we were wasting ammo and blowing stuff up waiting for the co-op to finish and then all of a sudden I got a fatal lag spike and my chopper continued on a straight (and downward) course, right into a water tower. Too bad you can't communicate in co-op AT ALL or else I would have explained the situation to the poor guy.

Yeah, I wish it was like that, I would probably understand. But this guy just nosedived out of nowhere.

No communication on co-op makes absolutely no sense. :|

until I get my SG (can you [or anyone else] attest to whether it's actually useful?)
Self-bump in case tl;dr. I want to know if it's worth spending the SiGnificant amount of time to unlock the SG 550.

Back