Blue Shift

Eejit

The Freeman
Reaction score
I was wondering about a few things I read in the Blue Shift manual.
First, I'll copy over the LM letter and the other writing which refers to the plot rather than gameplay:

Black Mesa Research Facility

MEMORANDUM
Office of the Administrator
Support Personnel Division

TO: B. Calhoun
SUBJECT: Blue Shift
DATE: 05/09/200-
CC: Dr. Kleiner

REASSIGNMENT TO BLUE SHIFT

In accordance with section VII, item C of your contract, the Offic of the Administrator has decided to reassign you to Blue Shift effective May 15.

Blue Shift assignment will require you to report to Black Mesa Personnel for processing of your salary increase and verification of your retinal scan before May 12. During processing, you will be immediately scheduled for a two-day training course that will prepare you for your assignment to the high security areas of the Anomalous Materials Laboratories.

On May 15, you must report for Sector C, Area 3 Medium Security Facilities by 0900. The section manager on duty will provide your assignment.

Please see the attached Security Shift Schedule for more details.

OTA: lm lm

The next part is rather strange - it appears to be the Security Shift Schedule... but it's in French?

Centre de recherches de Black Mesa Deparetement du Personnel
PLANING SERVICE SECURITE PRINTEMPS/ETE

Service | Planing | Section/Zone | Description | Accreditation | Classe
Rouge | 0900-2200 | Secteur A | Dortoirs | Basse | C
| Mai 15-Aout 15 | Zone 4 | Du Personnel |
Orange | 2100-1000 | Secteur A | Dortoirs | Basse | C
| Mai 15-Aout 15 | Zone 4 | Du Personnel |
Jaune | 0900-2200 | Secteur B | Bureaux | Moyenne | B
| Mai 15-Aout 15 | Zone 2 | Administratifs |
Vert | 2100-1000 | Secteur B | Bureaux | Moyenne | B
| Mai 15-Aout 15 | Zone 2 | Administratifs |
Bleu | 0900-2200 | Secteur C | Laboratoires | Haute |
| Mai 15-Aout 15 | Zone 3 | Materiaux Anormaux |
Indigo | 2100-1000 | Secteur C | Laboratoires | Haute | A
| Mai 15-Aout 15 | Zone 3 | Materiaux Anormaux |
Violet | Repos | ? | ? | Haute

Which is unusual. I don't see why they'd do that even is Barney was cajun.
If any of you speak french well could you translate 'repos' 'haute' 'moyenne' and 'basse'?

The next piece of information is a list presumably written by Barney.
To Do:
1. Buy Milk
2. Pay Water Bill
3. Call Joe
4. Buy flowers for Lauren
5. Change oil

Right, Joe could be a co-worker... but who is Lauren? What is she to Barney? Why is he buying her flowers? Wil we see her again?
Could Lauren bea Dr. Lauren Mossman - the LM from the OTA? (sorry if ppl already know her 1st name, but I don't)

i don't know, but Black Mesa Research Facility is cool as hell ;]

Maybe she's just a random name and not actually a real character. Maybe.

Mossman's first name is Judith. So "Lauren" is probably Barney's special lady, or at least was for the purposes of the manual... doubt we'll hear from her again. Nobody is supposed to read this much into video game characters.

whoever wrote the manual must know a lauren......could be a programer's friend........................ :LOL: :cheers:

the guy in charge of the manual forgot to erease his personal notes before the manual was sent of to be printed...

Just a random name to make the experience more real, buying flowers for noone in particular is not on the normal side for a male security guard.

I think that "LM" could just be one of the secretaries of the Office of the Administrator.

Back