Borderlands

Hah congratulations! That was pretty good.

Just bought it. Earlier than I anticipated!

Impressive TwwiX! Good job!

By the by, when does the game get officially released?

Also, add me on Xbox to play with me! I'm getting it as soon as possible.

Shamrock013 = gamertag.

Thanks, guys. Looks like everybody who entered the contest and made a costume will be receiving a Steam copy of the game. That's really nice of them. I did not expect them to be that generous. I got my copy pretty quickly after the announcement.
I was hesitant to enter at first but i am glad that i convinced myself in the end.
It was definitely worth the trouble and the five bucks i spent at a near by dollar store.

Congrats! :) How many winners were there? Was a pretty cool costume.

14 according to his Twitter page.
http://twitter.com/mikeyface

If i remember correctly, he said that he was going to hand out 20 copies of the game. So, he may have handed out the rest of them without announcing it.

The PC version is coming out on October 26th.

The first DLC pack has been announced:

The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned to infect players later this year

New York, NY - October 15, 2009 – 2K Games announced today that the first piece of downloadable content for Borderlands™, The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned, is planned for release later this year for all available platforms for $9.99 (800 Microsoft Points). The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned is in development at Gearbox Software and is the first in a series of downloadable expansions that will enhance the Borderlands mayhem in fun and exciting ways.

Tasked with keeping the workers of Jakobs Cove alive, Dr. Ned (who is not related to Dr. Zed from Fyrestone) does his job a little too well, creating zombies and other abominations that now run rampant in this region. Players will have to work alongside Dr. Ned as they embark on a quest to cure the inhabitants of Jakobs Cove in this full-fledged expansion filled with new enemies, new quests and rare loot drops.

Featuring extensive co-op integration that seamlessly blends the single-player and multiplayer experiences, Borderlands allows players to freely join or leave each other’s games at any time for collaborative mayhem or the freedom to choose to play in full single-player mode to experience the world on their own. Borderlands also includes a groundbreaking weapon generation system that offers a near infinite variety of weapons to the player. Borderlands combines these features with addictive non-stop action to form a breakthrough experience that challenges the conventions of modern shooters and RPGs.

Developed by Gearbox Software, Borderlands™ is available at retailers in North America beginning October 20 for the PlayStation® 3 computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and beginning October 23 internationally. The Windows PC version will ship to retailers in North America and internationally on October 26 and October 30, respectively. Borderlands is rated M for Mature by the ESRB.

Screenshots:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/gamervision_production/1255653256Ksco3GU7tF.jpg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/gamervision_production/1255653238rK8z2Q4cBF.jpg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/gamervision_production/1255653249rvWnzCSXvm.jpg

@Wanted_Bob
That was posted a couple of pages back.

If you're playing on the xbox, tell me your gamertag and I'll send you a friend request as halflife2net.

Oops, my apoligies. The more I hear about this game, the more I want to get it...

another summary of the OXM review:

Good:
- gigantic game packed w/weapons,loot, & quests
- over the top combat

Bad:
- enemy spawning and co-op should be better implemented

They state the game can be pretty difficult and state that "you will get pummeled" if you don't manage your health and weapons properly. They say that the game becomes overly easy in co-op if all characters are a relative level, and then gets too difficult in SP if you are a certain class.

They say chaning the art style was "a stroke of genius", hopefully there's more to the world than the browns and greys that I've seen, it just seems bland. The DLC screens seemed a lot more colourful, so hopefully theres more art like that in the retail release. About co-op, they said that if you are a level 7 character and you play with a friend and they are a level 37, the game world does nothing to help you out. You will be destroyed to no end with high level enemies. On the flip side if your level 37 friend hops into your game and you are a level 7 your friend will dominate, not good either.

As for the single player they had some balance issues. They started out as a hunter and although it is a useful class in co-op they found it difficult playing as a hunter solo when completing the game. However, they made some mistakes in the review saying that ammo, gold, etc aren`t shared when playing co-op, when it obviously is from the GiantBomb video. There also isn`t any difficulty modes until you beat the game, ala Diablo.

it's $39 in canada on launch day. will be hard to pass up

OXM sees no level scaling as a bad thing, while I think that is actually good. I think it is very cool that you can help out a lower level friend by simply one-shotting everything in sight. Go play Oblivion if you want level scaling.

you're probably a good person to ask ...PC or xbox360 version? only considering the console version because a friend and I have been looking for a good loot gathering fps for a long time. but PC = mods, better graphics etc but no splitscreen co-op

PC ofc. For the reasons you listed (and because I don't own any consoles ;))

well it's not like you're going to be playing with me anyways. you're in a deep sleep by the time I sit down to play at night. which is pretty selfish of you seeing as how so many hl2.netters are on this side of the atlantic. you should move closer

well it's not like you're going to be playing with me anyways. you're in a deep sleep by the time I sit down to play at night. which is pretty selfish of you seeing as how so many hl2.netters are on this side of the atlantic. you should move closer

Doesn't Canada have lax cannabis laws as well?
*ponders emigration*

not compared to where you're from but I have friends in high places and I've been sharpening up my my hide it in public skills for awhile now and I'm ready to take on an apprentice

not compared to where you're from but I have friends in high places and I've been sharpening up my my hide it in public skills for awhile now and I'm ready to take on an apprentice

Does being your apprentice pay well? Or do I get an ounce per day?

PC version so you can play with me.

oh god:

they said that if you are a level 7 character and you play with a friend and they are a level 37, the game world does nothing to help you out. You will be destroyed to no end with high level enemies. On the flip side if your level 37 friend hops into your game and you are a level 7 your friend will dominate, not good either.

this is always the case as I suck at having enough time to lvl and before I know it you have 3 characters 20 levels higher than me and it's like you're baby sitting a really fragile toon with zero skills with a giant NEWB beacon attached to my head

Does being your apprentice pay well? Or do I get an ounce per day?

no no no, you're the one who's learning ...you'll be giving me herbs from faraway amsterdam as a tuition fee (rolling is not necessary)

oh god:

this is always the case as I suck at having enough time to lvl and before I know it you have 3 characters 20 levels higher than me and it's like you're baby sitting a really fragile toon with zero skills with a giant NEWB beacon attached to my head

hmm, I thought it averaged it out sort of.

Anyways, I plan to have one of each character so one of them is bound to be close to your level.

hmm, I thought it averaged it out sort of.

Anyways, I plan to have one of each character so one of them is bound to be close to your level.

it worked ouit great for me, I leveled twice as fast when you were around and no deaths either

I plan on nabbing it for PC, so Stern should get that version.

The more the merrier!

Plus ping will likely be less of a problem since it is co-op, not versus. At least I hope.

That's Tav's biggest concern. I said he should be OK, since we play TF2 without much of an issue.

That's Tav's biggest concern. I said he should be OK, since we play TF2 without much of an issue.

BL will be locally hosted, so in that sense it is different from regular mp shooters. Not very technical myself so I dunno how much difference that would make.

It sounds like it's going to depend on who's hosting it....so the person that is the most central/most bandwidth will be the host. Kinda sucky, because if you look at games like Diablo and such, the servers are hosted at places that can deal with 4 people on not the best connections and nobody will lag horribly.

It's like making a CS server and having all your friends join. After you get to a certain point, your bandwidth is gone and they have 200 ping.

PC Gamer UK reviewed the game and awarded it 86%:

ghost5555 @ GBX forum said:
Basically, it starts out kinda slow
"for the first five hours BL is an FPS with RPG elements"
firestone is "interesting but constrained"
However once the skills started getting upgraded "RPG and FPS merged into something better than the sum of their parts"
he plays as roland and "intrinsically" makes a support character,
once it hits its stride new areas like the Dahl Headleands, "a vehicular playground" open up and so do many other more interesting areas
"there's stuff to do, characters to meet, guns, guns and more guns to find and test out"

he says its "full of character, only texans could have made it"
interestingly "although billed as a co op game, its enjoyable no matter what mode you play in."

finishes with: However you play it BL is a fun, addictive and overwhelming game. its a gun nuts paradise.

VERDICT
a good FPS and a good RPG come together to make an excellent game or FPSRPG if you're being fancy. 86%

Overrall very positive, a few new areas we havent heard of "the tetanus warrens" and "the rust commons" no real explanation of the plot though. or mention of the aliens and corporations. probably because that was done in previews etc.
so therefore :hellyeah:

*nothing has got over 94% from pcg to my knowledge
games that did get 94 include half life 2 and dragon age origins and tf2.

this months competition is also BL themed, win an epic PC by designing a cool gun. GB residents only though.

Also check this new IGN video out. MAINSTREAM'D!

And this just in: Microsoft is handing out permabans to everyone who plays an illegal version of BL via XBL.

PC Gamer UK reviewed the game and awarded it 86%:

Also check this new IGN video out. MAINSTREAM'D!

And this just in: Microsoft is handing out permabans to everyone who plays an illegal version of BL via XBL.

"Don't worry folks, anyone who bought a copy early is ok. In general, if you got a receipt, play away. These are illegit copies we're hitting," Toulouse tweeted around 4:15 pm. U.S. Pacific Time.

How can they tell without banning and then waiting for them to get your receipt?

I wish this was out already. I'm dying to play.... :frown:

From the recent video on IGN:

11t8j6p-1.gif

That fake Randy Pitchford is awesome.

Gonna pre order it on Steam today. I hope there will be pre load.

Gonna pre order it on Steam today. I hope there will be pre load.

There will be pre-load. That was confirmed by community manager Ennui on the Something Awful forums. How long in advance isn't known yet.

The review embargo has ended today so expect a lot of 'em. The first one I could find, was Kotaku. They don't hand out scores btw.

Borderlands gets a lot of things right, in particular the balance between being a first-person shooter and being a role-playing game. The shooting mechanics are sound, as are many of the role-playing aspects, save for a few design quirks. Growing and customizing my level 35 Siren was a great deal of fun, when the tedium of all that walking around didn't spoil it. But where Borderlands excels is in offering a functional four-player cooperative loot-hoarding experience, with gorgeous environments to adventure in and smartly crafted items to collect or covet.

The game has a few faults, including its traveling inefficiencies—a weak map combined with plenty of long-range fetch quests—and its mostly forgettable story line, but it's still relatively easy to recommend, provided you can tap into the best portions of Borderlands, its cooperative multiplayer modes.

games that did get 94 include half life 2 and dragon age origins and tf2.

it's as good as Hl2 and tf2? wow that's definately a feat

What depresses me is when I pre-ordered, Steam said it would be released on Oct 22. Then it changed to 26. That's 4 days I'm losing!

The PS3 version is now available here in Kuwait
I'm tempted to get it :(

Back