Combine Vs. Xen - the final solution

Nihilus?

Nihilant? Leasder?

Breen's a combine puppet i guess...

Hi, i've been reading these threads for months and decided i'd finally post.
NOTE: The new power to be introduced in Episode One i will henceforth refer to as RaceQ.

MY THEORY:
Nihilanth was originally a biological creature built by Controllers to be "Emperor" of the Vortigaunt homeworld. Now, I think a massive empire like the UU would have detected Nihilanth, and decided to enslave him for the simple reason that they didnt want an alternate power source in the cosmos. So they go to the Vort homeworld, wage a war which forces Nihilanth to retreat to Xen, follow him there and enslave him. Now, they have complete control over Xen just by enslaving Nihi. They leave Xen as it is, not bothering to waste resources on a worthless race like the Vortigaunt when more interesting creatures (like Synths) lie elsewhere. As for Nihi, his teleportal powers being limited to his own race, make him essentially useless.

BMRF is set up, and human survey teams make contact with Nihilanth's forces. The UU notices the human teleport technology and decide to procure it. Breen agrees to set up a Resonance Cascade in exchange for Combine technology, including technical immortality for humans. The Gman, hired by RaceQ, tries to stop Breen but fails. So BMRF gets screwed, allowing Nihilanth forces access to earth to secure the BMRF complex. This forces the Lambda team to launch a satellite to halt the merger of Xen & earth, and send Gordon to kill Nihilanth. He suceeds and is hired by the Gman.

Ripples of the Resonance Cascade continue to spread over earth in the following months/years, bringing in Xen wildlife. Breen uses the satellite launched at BM to give let the Combine come to earth, and bring the Citadels.
Breen negotiates a deal to give the Combine the teleportal tech, provided they dont annihilate humans. The Combine retake Xen, presumably, forcing Vortigaunts to take refuge on earth and join the resistance.

And the events of HL 2 come to pass, with the Gman being hired by the Resistance this time...

I doubt the Resistance has the money to fund the sexual machine that is the G-Man.

Pesmerga said:
I doubt the Resistance has the money to fund the sexual machine that is the G-Man.

Hmm, i never thought that through. Maybe Gman also wants the human tech?
But then, he can teleport...

Dammit ! :frown:

EDIT:
But everything suggests that the Gman helps the Resistance - Kleiner says "I didnt expect you so early" or something, he somehow gets Gordon's HEV (he would not take another HEV from BMRF and keep it in storage for 10 years for no apparent reason); Also, how does anybody know that you are still alive? The Vorts could only see you destroy Nihi. The Gman had to be in contact with the rebels (which he IS - Odessa Cubbage at N.L.O).

Maybe he still works for RaceQ, sent to help humans. That explains the "I have some interesting offers" comment at the end of HL 2 - the Vortigaunts or Combine might have outbid RaceQ.

99.vikram said:
MY THEORY:
Nihilanth was originally a biological creature built by Controllers to be "Emperor" of the Vortigaunt homeworld. Now, I think a massive empire like the UU would have detected Nihilanth, and decided to enslave him for the simple reason that they didnt want an alternate power source in the cosmos. So they go to the Vort homeworld, wage a war which forces Nihilanth to retreat to Xen, follow him there and enslave him. Now, they have complete control over Xen just by enslaving Nihi. They leave Xen as it is, not bothering to waste resources on a worthless race like the Vortigaunt when more interesting creatures (like Synths) lie elsewhere. As for Nihi, his teleportal powers being limited to his own race, make him essentially useless.

BMRF is set up, and human survey teams make contact with Nihilanth's forces. The UU notices the human teleport technology and decide to procure it. Breen agrees to set up a Resonance Cascade in exchange for Combine technology, including technical immortality for humans. The Gman, hired by RaceQ, tries to stop Breen but fails. So BMRF gets screwed, allowing Nihilanth forces access to earth to secure the BMRF complex. This forces the Lambda team to launch a satellite to halt the merger of Xen & earth, and send Gordon to kill Nihilanth. He suceeds and is hired by the Gman.

Ripples of the Resonance Cascade continue to spread over earth in the following months/years, bringing in Xen wildlife. Breen uses the satellite launched at BM to give let the Combine come to earth, and bring the Citadels.
Breen negotiates a deal to give the Combine the teleportal tech, provided they dont annihilate humans. The Combine retake Xen, presumably, forcing Vortigaunts to take refuge on earth and join the resistance.

And the events of HL 2 come to pass, with the Gman being hired by the Resistance this time...

It has since been confirmed that Xen is a sort of safe haven from the Combine, where formerely enslaved creatures from other worlds fled too. A nod to Nihalinths shackles etc.
The Combine were attracted to Earth due to the energies given out during the Cascade,
Vortigaunts joined forces with the humans because they had become stranded on Earth following Nihalinths demise.

Did I miss something? When did Laidlaw confirm the Combine couldnt reach Xen? All he said was, no species is native to Xen

Laidlaw confirmed that Xen was a safe haven from the Combine, a collective of races who fled their enslaved worlds in order to escape the Combine.

I'd like to see the source, if you can post the link/letter.

Well,back to the drawing board :|

Anyway, how do you think the new race fits into this?

No idea. But your theory has a few holes. :p

1. The Nihilanth's teleporto-powa is not limited to his own race; he teleports you yourself around during the final confrontation. While this may be because he fires GIANT ORBS at you, it also seems unlikely that the technology could not be distanced from him since they also have static teleporters.
2. The Combine would certainly not have considered them worthless considering their teleport tech.
3. The Combine would certainly not have considered posession of the 'borderworld' worthless and would have fully colonised it. Therefore I think they probably did not invade prior to HL1.

I'll have a look, it was in an interivew.

If the Combine controlled Xen, the border world, then that is extremely bad news for the galaxies/universe's which border it :p
I mean, it'd give them such a boost in terms of military power and the ability to send out units from here, there, and everywhere.

Just a question -

What if the Combine still have local teleport? Surely Breen wouldn't be stupid enough to run the "Xen emulation" at Nova Prospekt alone. He may have already given the technology to his overlords. Or, he must have copied the plans to the Citadel's mainframe or something...

Or am i thinking too hard :p

I doubt he managed to give them the research. I mean, Mossman was the one he was relying on.

Mossman couldnt have built the teleporter herself, she had to give Breen the blueprints, which i think Breen kept someplace where the Combine could get it if he bit the dust.

Breen wouldn't have even considered that he would "bite the dust" at any point up until Mossman turned on him in the office. Therefore, he'd want to safeguard any plans for the teleporter from the advisor...if they got the blueprints, Breen would become obsolete. He'd have no bargaining chip. That is something he would not want.

Pesmerga said:

We actually have no idea what the G-Man values with regards to payment. For all we know the Resistance have oodles of it. And as Vikram said there are a lot of hints that he was hired by Kleiner & Co.

The final solution? Is this some sort of parody of the jews?

Pesmerga said:
Hardly at the way Angry attacks Holocost(sp?) deniers.

Pesmerga said:

Why should it be? It's simply a solution which is also the final one. Did you see any reference to the holocaust or jews before you posted?

No, it's completely unrelated.

:rolleyes:

Pesmerga said:

Yes, and my brotherhood will soon join me from the depths of hell in the quest for world domination and free cheese. That's right. I am Dr. Beltruger.

Honestly, where'd you come up with this conspiracy theory??

Does anyone have a theory about the nature of the land masses in Xen? Is it actually "alive"? It appears to be organic. It made me think of coral and how it's formed from decomposing sea life. If the creatures there aren't native to Xen, how are they able to interact with it? For example, the vortigaunts using the healing pools of water and the flying things zapping the ground. Did they just adapt in the time they were there? I was thinking that perhaps the land teleported with them, explaining the chunks of land that appear to be ripped from a planet.

(Holy shit, is this still going)
No one is sure, although It seems the land itself is non organic - The healing springs may or may not have been native, and the mantras (Flying things, I thing thats the name for them) may have been under the control of the refugee Xenians before they were chased from their homeworld.

Its also possible that the islands are shaped like that because the physical laws of Xen are different from ours.

I thought the rocks were chunks of matter that warped into the borderworld from other worlds over the ages. The organic stuff looked like fungus to me.

Do the Combine control Xen during HL2?? If not how did they get to Earth? (I assumed they used the portal storms to their advantage)

Read the first post, all I revealed!

Xen is a safe haven from the Combine.

From what I remember, Xen was controlled by the Nihilanth, who was fleeing the combine's takeover of his homeworld.

I thought the Portal Storms only linked Xen and Earth. :| Oh well

The Combine were attracted to Earth due to the dimensional rift caused by the Black Mesa incident. They used the portal storms to there advantage - goodness knows what else the portal storms cast through to Earth.

They never stopped either, so we may say one in EP2.

There is no reason to asume they didn't control Xen.

probably not because I have just realised that if they did have Xen they would not need Mossman for the teleporter and GMan would be very peeved. :p

My favorite thread, she still lives! :D

I think that after the events of HL1 the Combine took Xen from the GMan. I don't see why else the vortigaunts would stay to fight alongside us, when Kleiner could teleport them back to Xen. Maybe the Vorts took refuge on earth. :sniper:

I think those that came to Earth via Portal Storms did take Refuge meanwhile Xen is under control by the GMan and his Employers *DUM DUM DUM DUMMM!!*

99.vikram said:
My favorite thread, she still lives! :D

I think that after the events of HL1 the Combine took Xen from the GMan.
:cheers: Agreed :cheers:

Disagree. I don't see Combine controlling Xen and yet still having no local teleport tech as feasible.

They didn't just have Xenian teleports to reverse-engineer, but BM equipment left on Xen too. And as we can see from the modified chopper in water hazard and the gray cuffs on the vortigaunt at the start the Combine are good at adapting and using technology from conquered species.

Back