Combine Vs. Xen - the final solution

Ah, we meet again, Eejit. :devil:
And under the same circumstances for the third time!

Indeed, and I wonder why you have not yet seen the light...

indy_belloq.jpg

We are not so different, you and I...

ssh.gif

Eejit said:
Disagree. I don't see Combine controlling Xen and yet still having no local teleport tech as feasible.

They didn't just have Xenian teleports to reverse-engineer, but BM equipment left on Xen too. And as we can see from the modified chopper in water hazard and the gray cuffs on the vortigaunt at the start the Combine are good at adapting and using technology from conquered species.
Valid point but it just makes sense in my mind that they would take Xen and then the portal storms would lead them onto Earth (And I don't want to hear anything about the stratagy guide saying the Combine were brought to Earth by the energies emited from the portal storms)

Well, you wont. Coz the strategy guide doesn't say that. It says the Combine were attracted to earth because of the RC, which is true. It doesn't say whether they noticed earth because they were on Xen.

i'm not an expert in this matter but I remenber from HL1 ending that gman said: thank's to you xen is under our control, or something like that. As many of you say it's not on combine's hands so it makes me think it's in someone else hands.

I mean, it's not under combine control, but is under something/someone control, it's not anymore a place to refugee. That's why I think the vorts are on earth helping human ressistance, we maybe not friends, but we have a / some common enemy/ ies.

If Xen is under control, and earth under control of the combine, maybe xen is not the centre of the battle, maybe not the objectvie anymore, cause it seems that through earth you can go to combine places and xen. Who control earth control the passage from xen / dimensions.

So gman works for those who controlled xen, he sends you to take over city 17 /nova prospekt, where the combine have its operation centre and where they build their hole machinery/ overwatch. Once city 17 is down, they can invade from xen and take earth fast before the combine bring a counter offensive through teleporting. with earth secure they can move on and conquer other combine places knowing your homebase (xen) is secure.

That's what i have been thinking about since i read your posts. sorry about grammar mistakes but I speak spanish :p.

Nice post gasp.

However, remember that we saw a vortigaunt conversing to the G-man through a TV, so they may very well be working for the G-man.

indeed you are right!!, so we can change that xen is under something/someone control, and say that now Xen is under control of an interdimensional ressistance, (as in star wars the new republic was :p), that would also fit with the other things I mentioned above. Gman works for the ressistance (as they are his employers).

It's a pity that this way it sounds a little bit perfect, gman is a good guy working for those who want freedom. :(

SPOIIIIILER

Vortigaunts teleported Gordon out of Stasis. For one thing, this means that G-Man never actually supported the Vortigaunts. Which some believe. This blows a huge hole in the "G-Man is doing this to help Xen and Earth" idea. G-Man must really be a malevont force in the HL universe.

Not necessarily, he could just be single-mindedly dedicated to a non-evil cause.

Yeah. Extremists are technically dedicated to an non-evil cause, in their minds at least. Gman doesn't have to be evil.

Techincally.

GMan may just be going to HUGE lengths to crush the Combine.

If Xen wasn't under control of the Combine, what was the point in showing the Vortiguant at the beginning of HL2, mopping the trainstation floor with neck brace intact, being supervised by a Combine metrocop?

I'll concede that the neck brace differs from the model in HL1 - it's much more detailed, but one can reasonably assume that this is just a consequence of HL2 being played on more advanced technology.

Either the Combine were in control on Xen, or maybe the Combine appropriated the technology from whoever was controlling the Vortiguants.

I'm not sure, but pointing out the difference in architecture and look of Xen in contrast to that of Combine controlled Earth is not that solid of an argument. Art direction and aesthetic changes all the time, and considering that the Combine played a near non-existant part in the first Half-Life, maybe the details of Xen under Combine control were not contemplated much, as opposed to the completely Combine dominated City 17.

I mean to say, the Combine aesthetic was the pervasive in HL2, but HL was more concerned with the look of Black Mesa. Even if Valve were to consider the Combine aesthetic for Xen in Half-Life, it was their first game, and maybe less attention was paid towards continuuity in future products since the planning of such products was still undetermined.

Maybe the Vortigaunts and others were once under the combine's control and fled to xen in an attempt to escape. Once Gordon killed nihilanth the combine could open portals to xen and reclaim the species as slaves, which would work with the line "we are their slaves". I think that during HL2 the combine do control xen because they used it as a staging ground to invade earth. This means they tooka dvantage of their ability to portal to xen and once there took the portals to earth.

GMan has control of Xen but the Vorts that are on Earth help the resistance unless they have been captured by the Combine.

omgeric!!! said:
If Xen wasn't under control of the Combine, what was the point in showing the Vortiguant at the beginning of HL2, mopping the trainstation floor with neck brace intact, being supervised by a Combine metrocop?

I'll concede that the neck brace differs from the model in HL1 - it's much more detailed, but one can reasonably assume that this is just a consequence of HL2 being played on more advanced technology.

Either the Combine were in control on Xen, or maybe the Combine appropriated the technology from whoever was controlling the Vortiguants.

I'm not sure, but pointing out the difference in architecture and look of Xen in contrast to that of Combine controlled Earth is not that solid of an argument. Art direction and aesthetic changes all the time, and considering that the Combine played a near non-existant part in the first Half-Life, maybe the details of Xen under Combine control were not contemplated much, as opposed to the completely Combine dominated City 17.

I mean to say, the Combine aesthetic was the pervasive in HL2, but HL was more concerned with the look of Black Mesa. Even if Valve were to consider the Combine aesthetic for Xen in Half-Life, it was their first game, and maybe less attention was paid towards continuuity in future products since the planning of such products was still undetermined.

I completely agree with what this man says.

The combine were not in control of Xen when Gordon went there but afterwards I would say how could they not be since they used the planet as a staging ground for the attack on Earth.

Combine were in control of Nihilanth who in turn had control of Vortigaunts. Understand? The Vortigaunt mopping the floor showed that the Combine enslaved Vortigaunts AND Rebels (stalkers) who were captured. G-Man might have some control over Xen...but not in the way we think. Xen is a border world...perhaps this allows him and/or his organization even easier access to Earth.

Laff said:
Combine were in control of Nihilanth who in turn had control of Vortigaunts. Understand? The Vortigaunt mopping the floor showed that the Combine enslaved Vortigaunts AND Rebels (stalkers) who were captured. G-Man might have some control over Xen...but not in the way we think. Xen is a border world...perhaps this allows him and/or his organization even easier access to Earth.

Then why no Citadels? No Synths?

The Combine did not control Nihilanth as one of the valave writers even said. He was fleeing them, not serving them. The combine only would have gained control of xen after the death of Nihilanth, explaining the ensalved vortigaunt.

omgeric!!! said:
He was a Vortigaunt who was helping the rebels, was captured and put to work by the Combine. i.e. the Vortigaunt was captured on Earth. I believe the Combine either developed the bracers independantly or reverse-engineered them from Nihilanth/Controller technology.

omgeric!!! said:
not sure, but pointing out the difference in architecture and look of Xen in contrast to that of Combine controlled Earth is not that solid of an argument. Art direction and aesthetic changes all the time, and considering that the Combine played a near non-existant part in the first Half-Life, maybe the details of Xen under Combine control were not contemplated much, as opposed to the completely Combine dominated City 17.
That doesn't make sense. If they wanted to show that the Combine had controlled Xen they would have simply used architecture in HL2 which at least vaguely resembled that of Xen shown in HL1.

oddnerd said:
The Combine did not control Nihilanth as one of the valave writers even said. He was fleeing them, not serving them. The combine only would have gained control of xen after the death of Nihilanth, explaining the ensalved vortigaunt.
Where'd you hear that from? VORTIGAUNT WAS CAPTURED ON EARTH. In fact, it was revealed Combine DOSEN'T have control over Xen. Nihilanth was used by combine. If Nihilanth was fleeing them then why the hell was he attacking Earth?
Also, Vortigaunts were captured in the Citadel before. A line said by Alyx proves this.

Nihilanth invaded Earth because he saw the opportunity to do so as there was not much resistance in Earth (he may have fled the Combine making him seem like a misunderstood alien but he was evil-he enslaved vortigaunts and wanted Earth becuase he could).

AHA-Lambda said:
Nihilanth invaded Earth because he saw the opportunity to do so as there was not much resistance in Earth (he may have fled the Combine making him seem like a misunderstood alien but he was evil-he enslaved vortigaunts and wanted Earth becuase he could).
That's completely wrong. Several lines spoken by the Vortigaunts in HL2 show that they were freed from Nihilanth by Gordon, and are helping the Resistance BECAUSE a human rescued them from the Nihilanth and the Combine, and are now helping Humanity do the same as payback. Nihilanth served the Combine, not willingly, but he did.

Laff said:
Where'd you hear that from? VORTIGAUNT WAS CAPTURED ON EARTH. In fact, it was revealed Combine DOSEN'T have control over Xen. Nihilanth was used by combine. If Nihilanth was fleeing them then why the hell was he attacking Earth?
Also, Vortigaunts were captured in the Citadel before. A line said by Alyx proves this.

Nihilanth used by the Combine? I doubt it. The Nihilinth fled from the Combine. Gordon opened the rift, they took it as an attack. Infact, we were the ones to enter and start taking specimens.

Samon said:
Nihilanth used by the Combine? I doubt it. The Nihilinth fled from the Combine. Gordon opened the rift, they took it as an attack. Infact, we were the ones to enter and start taking specimens.
Then who was the Nihilanth used by? I distinctly remember the nihilanth saying something about how they are being controlled by "THEM". It can't be G-man because he remarks how his employers have re-assumed control of the border world. In fact, what if G-man controlled Xen, and the Combine offered the Nihilanth support if he did what he was told? It'd fit in with the theory that the Combine are backstabbing bastards, because really, do you really think the slugs
would go anywhere in the universe without piggybacking off of other alien races?

In fact, what if the Combine convinced the Nihilanth we were the enemies because humanity was co-operating with G-Man and was stealing his crystals? Then as the final battle the Nihilanth realized he was being used?

The G-mans goal in Black Mesa was Gordon, to shape Gordon into a killing machine. I don't think he had any other goal beyond that.

When the Nihilanth said that, he was true. "We are their slaves." And they are, really - but they've escaped, running even.

Hmm..... I thought Government Man was just able to infiltrate the Black Mesa administration on behalf of his employers in order to keep tabs on the BMRF's research. I find it perplexing how Government Man is able to recognize Freeman's abilities when it never was displayed until the Incident. My feeling was that G-Man noticed how Freeman was surviving and thought it was worth it to track his progress and recruit him if warrented.

99.vikram said:
Then why no Citadels? No Synths?

There is a simple explanation. I know you aren't going to like it, but the fact of the matter is that at the time HL1 was made, Valve had not yet come up with the idea of Citadels or Synths. Those were new ideas, which were born possibly a year or more after HL1 was completed. When HL1 was finished, there were no immediate plans for a sequel, meaning Valve was not as concerned with continuity as they were concerned with succeeding in their first game ever.

Retroactively you could say that perhaps there were Citadels on Xen, but we happened to be quite far away from the nearest tower when we visited Xen, and thus did not see it. We were in the wilderness of Xen. That's why there were so many animals running around the place. Also, I find the idea that the HL2 Vort Janitor's collar was manufactured by someone other than the makers of the ones in HL1 is ridiculous, and is nothing more than a stretch meant to patch up a flaw in the argument that Xen is "fleeing the Combine" in HL1. Valve put that Vort janitor there to try to let us know that Vorts were indeed part of the Combine's first wave of soldiers used to attack Earth. This has aggregiously backfired, given people like Samon's misunderstanding of the whole situation.

Yeah vickram, anonymous internet fans are obviously the source when it comes to the facts on a story, not the writers themselves.

Glenn the Great said:
There is a simple explanation. I know you aren't going to like it, but the fact of the matter is that at the time HL1 was made, Valve had not yet come up with the idea of Citadels or Synths. Those were new ideas, which were born possibly a year or more after HL1 was completed. When HL1 was finished, there were no immediate plans for a sequel, meaning Valve was not as concerned with continuity as they were concerned with succeeding in their first game ever.

Yes, but it would have been easy as pie to show that Combine were on Xen by putting some Xen architecture on earth - the health pools and beams, the electric towers, or a mention of gargantuas being Synth.

99.vikram said:
Yes, but it would have been easy as pie to show that Combine were on Xen by putting some Xen architecture on earth - the health pools and beams, the electric towers, or a mention of gargantuas being Synth.

"Xen Architecture" is not Combine architecture. It is just the way nature worked on Xen. No need to port that over.

Glenn the Great said:
This has aggregiously backfired, given people like Samon's misunderstanding of the whole situation.

Your misunderstanding. :)

Glenn the Great said:
"Xen Architecture" is not Combine architecture. It is just the way nature worked on Xen. No need to port that over.

I call bullshit. vikram is right, if Valve wanted to show that the Combine controlled Xen during HL1 then they would do more than show 1 piece of technology used by both which is even remotely similar.

Now i'm confused, was Nihilanth controlled or not controlled by the Combine?

There is a part in HL1 (Xen part) where u wander in a place that looks very similar to the citadel's inside in Half life 2, like a Xen-made Citadel. Was this so-called Citadel created by Nihilanth's knowledge that he got from the Combine (when he was controlled) or a mere Combine outpost to invade earth?

Edit: now that i think bout it, i think he wasn't since he says

"Their slaves, we are their slaves" in a part of HL1

...But i still wonder bout that Xen-made Citadel

Xen was a Combine outpost, used as a staging area for the attack on Earth. There are probably many places like Xen under Combine control. It's those kind of places where people get sent for "off-world duty."

hmm..2 Theories..

the theory bout Nihilanth and his alien slaves escaping the Combine

they built the Combine-like constructions and the citadel in Xen based upon the knowledge Nihilanth got from the Combines while under control, using the Alien Controllers to keep Nihilanth's alien slaves (who were the vortigounts) at his side at all times while creating his troops (who were the alien grunts)

But then again, all those metal-thingies on them really makes this theory look strange..But then again, it could be metal-thingies made by Nihilanth himself to have control of his underlings

This is the other one (hope i understand it well)

The Combine used Nihilanth and his alien slaves to weaken the defenses in the Earth as well as making the portal opening for them to take over later which went horr-...Or something

I don't really get this last theory, so i'll hold with the first one

I think the first one is correct, Nihilanth was running from the combine and he managed to escape them on xen. As judeth mossman mentions the combine have limited teleport technology so thanks to nihilanths powers and the fact that they were in another dimension the combine were unable to make it to xen, that is until gordon killed nihilanth.

Back