Crysis news/info thread

When I played on delta the only ones that shot me were the guys on the boat.without hitting.

Was expecting the demo not to run on my pc at all, but it did on max everything. Unplayable at around 5fps obviously, but that's not the point, it ran, and it looked stunning.

Playing on low after looking at all the pwetties gave me a look at the gameplay, which isn't that bad either considering the rotting vegetable matter you lot are throwing at it. It's almost like Cevat didn't already categorically state that crysis is just a typical fps using the best technology to date and not the second coming of that bloke who's birthday was on xmas day. That's what it is, the usual fps formula. Nobody has lied to you. Nobody has ever claimed otherwise. Live with it or play hangman with a real rope.

First off, the positives: This engine is an optimised, well oiled triumph and puts everything else to shame. God says that any future fps that doesn't look like this or have all the features is a wierdo. It's in the Bible. AND the Koran. Then there's the AI which, although not ground breaking by any means, is more human than any other AI I've seen. The fact that they don't lock-on like some hacktard in an online shooter pulling off impossible head shots and catching bullets in their teeth is an improvement over far cry. The most important thing is they react to stuff in unpredictable ways instead of cheating or following scripted paths. Waiting patiently for them to stick their head up from behind a box at exactly 4.5 second intervals doesn't work here either. They sneak, and hide, and flank, and hunt you down with eyes and ears instead of wallhacks.

Picking up teh ammo!1!!1. That is why the fifth digit evolved into an opposing thumb. Some people are just too damn lazy to acknowledge evolution. If you can't find a gun in the grass, TOO BAD. You deserve to get shot anyway.

The negatives... Constant noisy wind that doesn't actually blow stuff around much. Still lots of graphical glitches around. Not enough user settings like the ability to switch off gimicks like motion blur without having to miss out on other eye candy. Awkward corpse poses and inability to interact with them in any way. Inability to put live stuff down again after picking up without 'dropping it to death'. Nanosuit 'cheats' make the game way too easy, even on Delta. Seems to be more linear than far cry but might just be the narrowness of the demo map. The usual arrogant Cockney Brit who everybody knows is going to die horribly near the end because that's nothing less than we deserve for our tyranical oppression of all nations throughout history.

Am I going to upgrade to play this? The man from DelMonte, he say **** yeah.

When you cloak,there is a shadow.

About the TAC gun,when I summon it (both tp and fp) I cant use it,how do I use it ?

When you cloak,there is a shadow.

About the TAC gun,when I summon it (both tp and fp) I cant use it,how do I use it ?
Did you get the right one? There is like an entity one and one that you can use. There is TAC ammo as well. It's in the weapon section. Stand back a big distance and fire it too. I'm pretty mad that it doesn't do much damage. Doesn't create wind, nor fire.

I have a question. How are you people getting this sandbox editor. I installed it after finding it in the crysis folder but I can't seem to find the .exe file or the CryEditor file. How do I open this software?

I have a question. How are you people getting this sandbox editor. I installed it after finding it in the crysis folder but I can't seem to find the .exe file or the CryEditor file. How do I open this software?

Go to your BIN32 folder and click on Editor.exe.

Anyways, The main game itself sucks ass... but I'll be damned if messing with the editor won't provide me hours of entertainment.

Multiplayer looks like it'll be a blast too.

This engine is an optimised, well oiled triumph and puts everything else to shame. God says that any future fps that doesn't look like this or have all the features is a wierdo.

I couldn't have said it better myself. People who rag on crysis are forgetting all of the amazing features that the engine has, and just love to discount the fact that better graphics actually change the gameplay. That's right, there will be DX9 and DX10 exclusive multiplayer servers because of how much of a difference in gameplay just the graphics alone cause. The foliage bends around your character differently, You might catch a hint of light fog casting off of a character hiding behind a wall, or it might be that you just blend in somewhere a good deal better in other spots because of the atmospheric perspective.

I love the gameplay, if not just for having the suit because the graphics suck me in more than any other game I've ever played. I know having no shadow or reflection or dialog was so great at making you REALLY feel like you were Gordon Freeman, but not anymore. Sorry Valve, real time radiosity, volumetrics, and dynamic everything would like to have a word with you.

Sorry Crytek, accessible system requirements would like to have a word with you.

Just because source caters to the low end machines still running DX7 doesn't mean that other engines have to. Doom 3 was impossible to set on the highest settings when it first came out, same thing with Far Cry. Probably others too. I know those games weren't as good as HL2, blah blah. You're just bitter because you can't run it. Boo hoo, cry me a river. If you're not interested in upgrading your system when games begin to come out that require higher end resources, then you sacrifice the ability to play those games.

And really, can't you just turn every setting to low? It still looks better than source.

Sorry Crytek, accessible system requirements would like to have a word with you.

I spent around $1000 on my rig almost a year ago and I can play it just fine on high settings. No, it's not 60 fps, but it's smooth enough to enjoy it. Expecting to be able to play brand new games with maxed out settings on old hardware is like trying to play next-gen console games on last-gen systems.

Cryengine 2 is hands down the best looking engine on the market. Even then, someone on this thread said they were running it alright on a 9800 Pro... That sounds pretty damn well optimized to me.

Just because source caters to the low end machines still running DX7 doesn't mean that other engines have to.

That's absolutely correct. However, by doing so, Valve don't push the envelope of engine technology. It's a trade-off.

Doom 3 was impossible to set on the highest settings when it first came out, same thing with Far Cry. Probably others too. I know those games weren't as good as HL2, blah blah.

Which is kind of a fundamental point, really. A fantastic, supershiny, all-bells-and-whistles graphics engine does not a good game make. That's not to say that they can't be good games...

You're just bitter because you can't run it. Boo hoo, cry me a river. If you're not interested in upgrading your system when games begin to come out that require higher end resources, then you sacrifice the ability to play those games.

Actually, I can run Crysis just fine, thanks. I played it a bit yesterday and today. Nice assumption, though.
Also, creating engines/games that require higher-end resources will alienate those people that can't/won't/don't know about upgrading. Like I said previously - it's a trade-off. Valve do one thing, Crytek do another.

And really, can't you just turn every setting to low? It still looks better than source.
Again, Crysis runs fine for me. Yes, it looks better than Source - show me where I said otherwise.

Seriously, do you think Valve don't implement these graphical features because they can't?

In no way does Crysis on low settings look better than Source on high. I don't find it looks particularly good on medium settings/res either. Infact, i've been more wowed by a few of the planets in Metroid 3 at 480p :)

wow suprised at how well it ran, the beta didnt run to well but this is way different. Everything cranked up on high, 1280x1024 reso. No AA tho, runs really smooth, dont know exact FPS. Gona try with AA later.

Also i loved the intro and everything, really cool game.

Ah, finished the demo finally. Really like the gameplay formula (even if its similar to Far Cry). Sadly, the framerate dips to like 5 FPS on medium during the cutscenes, which is a bit of a turnoff.

So if i magically get a better rig in two weeks, then I would definately buy it. However, right now it just cant perform good enough.

I still can't use that "TAC gun" I can summon two different entities of it but cant use any of them..

Does anyone know of any good tutorials on the internet, I can't get textures to display properly in the editor

For some reason everything turns transparent on medium shader quality, but looks perfect on high quality.

The game itself feels like a carbon copy of Far Cry, aside from the suit. I got really bored after I took out the GPS scrambler, so I quit.

Does anyone know of any good tutorials on the internet, I can't get textures to display properly in the editor
I couldn't get them to work either, but the level from the demo is included, so you can open that map if you want and the textures load fine.

I have vista 64 bit, an hd 2900xt, amd x2 4200+ @ 2.61 GHz... so here's the deal

In dx10 mode, I can run everything at max with no AA, 1280x1024 @ about 30-40fps (generally closer to 30)

Now, if you go into your game folder, "Crysis SP demo\Game\Config\cvar groups" you will see a bunch of different cvars for each graphics setting, 3 is high - 4 is very high, etc. If you copy and paste the "4" into the "3" sections then run in dx9, you are essentially getting the same exact graphics as in dx10 mode in dx9 runtime. (One thing doesnt work in dx9, in shader cvars you need to disable object blur, that feature is unique to dx10). So basically, this is running with dx10 graphics... and guess what!

Now if I right click on crysis demo in the vista games explorer, and choose run in dx9... i get 50-85 fps with dx9 with the very high graphics settings! Wow... dx10 sure gives a performance boost.

sauce: http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=11222

Someone try this

supposed proof screenshots:
XP
DX9XP.JPG

Vista;
DX10Shista.JPG

Also:
chicken defense
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWzTuth94OU

tornado fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5TnMfHh078

As far my personal opinion. I didn't like the game play. I loved the editor and wish valve would do something like this with their SDK. It's editor wise as far above hammer as Hl2 is above crysis gameplay wise.

I couldn't get them to work either, but the level from the demo is included, so you can open that map if you want and the textures load fine.

Yeah I had a tinker with island.cry; I'm just hoping that I'll be able to make independent levels when the time comes.

I haven't managed to get the Voxel tool to work

Haha, how the hell do you make giant chickens?
Or that huge platform for that matter?

And does anybody have any cheats? I hate dying in the editor when messing around with NPCs and nukes. :X

crysiscoresig4.jpg

posted somewhere at the official forums.

only one CPU out of 4 cores is at 100%....Final version will be optimized for all cores.

I knew it. I read an interview that Cevat said it's better to have 4 cores then a higher clocked dual core. Yet when I clocked my q6600 from 2.4 to 3ghz I saw an enormous improvement. It seems to me that if the demo doesn't have any multicore support the final versions support won't be that great.
And this is a serious issue since Cevat said that the CPU is the most important part.

Did anyone figure out this copy/paste "4" to "3" ordeal yet?

One must be a rocket scientist or young; to figure this to one. Cuz I sure can't.

How, exactly, do you move an item you want to place in the editor closer or further to you?

I was also going to post about the multi-core issue. I was a bit upset when during gameplay I saw only one core being fully used, while the other three were doing small tasks. :/

I'm expecting (read: hoping) that to give me some hefty performance boosts.

On page three they give a rapidshit link to cvars already changed:
http://rapidshare.com/files/65666130/dx10cvargroups.rar.html

unpack and copy past this in :
C:\Program Files\Games\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis SP Demo\Config\

just remember to backup your original cvar folder

I checked the files and they are identical to what I already use? Can't see what is changed.

Edit: Tried it, no FPS improvement or graphical improvement. Does this work on the XP32bit or does it have to be XP64bit?

Actually, I can run Crysis just fine, thanks. I played it a bit yesterday and today. Nice assumption, though.

Seriously, do you think Valve don't implement these graphical features because they can't?

1.) You were complaining about the accessibility of the graphical settings. That's pretty much the only assumption I could make from your response to my post.

2.) I think they're being stubborn. They spent an enormous amount of money on source and in doing so, they put all of their eggs in one basket. Source still looks nice here and there but it's aging pretty badly in my opinion. For example, the new Hunter's materials look spectacular. Then you notice the horribly low-resolution grass texture on the ground plane beneath it. Then you realize it's not reacting to light at all. And that coffee cup seems to have about 10 polygons. And the bird is a 2d sprite. And the matte painting doesn't match the screen resolution and on and on and on. If source was really as robust as some people say it is, then I think they should prove it.

it costs bookoo bux and a lot of development time to create a new graphics engine from scratch. Especially ones meant to handle as much stuff as either the farcry 2's or crysis' engines.

companies are loathe to spend that much time making new engines if they can just skirt around the problem by working with what they have.

Valve is no different from any other game company in that regard

On low? Seriously have you tried that? With everything on low it looks like ass.

Edit: I just went back and played Crysis with everything low with objects detail set at Very High. The game truly looks like ass. Like MOH:AA but with a higher polycount.

I believe that what source needs more than anything is just the ability to have more elements on screen in general.

I think it needs an editor like Crysis. That thing is wonderful

Back