CS:S Spraylogo Tutorial

bad ass. I liked making custom sprays. thanks for the link.

"2*6 - 64"

I can't believe I accually laughed at this.

Since you're the guy who wrote it, it should be 2^6 not 2*6

also are you sure that 128X128 is the max resolution. I know on the old hl sprays it was a matter of area. like you could have a max resolution of like 40X40 (total area 1600 pixels) or 1X1600 (total area 1600 pixels)

i thought animated logos and logos with effects are possible?

pixartist said:
i thought animated logos and logos with effects are possible?

They were possible in hl1 and I do think that they're possible in hl2. It just might be that this guy doesn't know how to do animated ones.

staddydaddy said:
bad ass. I liked making custom sprays. thanks for the link.

"2*6 - 64"

I can't believe I accually laughed at this.

Since you're the guy who wrote it, it should be 2^6 not 2*6

also are you sure that 128X128 is the max resolution. I know on the old hl sprays it was a matter of area. like you could have a max resolution of like 40X40 (total area 1600 pixels) or 1X1600 (total area 1600 pixels)

Thanks, changed it now.

I don't really know.. what I know is that the Source engine supports 2048x2048, but it seems to scale down to 128x128 if your res is to high.

And no, I don't know how to make them with animations and stuff. :(

pixartist said:
but with effects like mirrors or so?

I've never head anything like that mensioned (but I could have just not heard about it). It would seem to me if there was something like a mirror, it would need some pixel shader code. And thinking about it a little more, Do you really think that they would allow you to spray mirrors on the walls? I mean just thinking about that, You could use that as a huge tatical advantage. You could look around a bend before actually walking out.

If you do have a source from where you got the reference about the mirror sprays, do share. I would love to read about it.

staddydaddy said:
I've never head anything like that mensioned (but I could have just not heard about it). It would seem to me if there was something like a mirror, it would need some pixel shader code. And thinking about it a little more, Do you really think that they would allow you to spray mirrors on the walls? I mean just thinking about that, You could use that as a huge tatical advantage. You could look around a bend before actually walking out.

If you do have a source from where you got the reference about the mirror sprays, do share. I would love to read about it.

If you could have effects like mirrors and stuff, it would be in the .vmt file.
That file is just a text file with properties for the texture.

But I think we'll have to wait for the SDK to see what we can do with it.

Well, here's mine, hope it works. It's 256x64 which SHOULD work considering the area is the same as 128x128. But if not oh well.

Oh and the background isn't really pink. 255,0,255 is the universal color for transparency, and it's better than that stupid checkboard.

Attachments

• Lightning.jpg
    Lightning.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 747
Make a black background (Layer -> New -> Background from Layer) and copy the whole image.
To do that, press ctrl+a (select all), and ctrl+c (copy). Now you can close that image.

^^ When I do that, the whole image turns white, not black at all. and the only layer is a white background layer. Are you sure that's right?

In honor of O&A I made a simple spray, the grey parts will be transparent of course.

Attachments

• WOW copy.jpg
    WOW copy.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 698
Sub_Lon said:
Make a black background (Layer -> New -> Background from Layer) and copy the whole image.
To do that, press ctrl+a (select all), and ctrl+c (copy). Now you can close that image.

^^ When I do that, the whole image turns white, not black at all. and the only layer is a white background layer. Are you sure that's right?

Seriously I don't think you even need to do that. I'm pretty sure Photoshop will auto create an alpha channel when you save to 32bit targa *RGB and 8 bits for alpha*

Pic Here

Sweet stuff :) they pick up the bumpmap of the surface they are sprayed on to, too.

other ppl can see them too i hope? and not only the one having the spray on his comp?

Katana said:
other ppl can see them too i hope? and not only the one having the spray on his comp?

Other ppl can see them too. But I'm testing out how big they can be right now.

As I wrote on the tutorial, I noticed you can use up to 2048x2048.
I didn't notice it first because the spray was as big as before on the screen.

Anyway, the server can take a 4mb spray (it told me), and clients about 1mb or something. (tested 300kb, 1.3mb and 5.3mb)

bah, transparent doesnt work for me.. :/
just goes grey..

sum1 make a hl2.net spray so we can go about spamming servers with it :E

Great, good tutorial!

My first one :upstare:

Attachments

• txumari.jpg
    txumari.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 606
Here's a quick test spray (and a variation of it) of mine:

Attachments

• Gordon_Dark.jpg
    Gordon_Dark.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 631
  • Gordon_Light.jpg
    Gordon_Light.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 561
w00t, got transparency to work!

Note to hl2insider members, this will be available for download :)

Attachments

• hl2insider_spray.jpg
    hl2insider_spray.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 604
how do u make tga-file?? u need that photoshop stuff or something? :eek: :rolling:

Milo 7 said:
how do u make tga-file?? u need that photoshop stuff or something? :eek: :rolling:

I used Photoshop...Paint Shop Pro can do it to, many image editing programs can save as .tga.

hmmz i only have normal paint :D
i dont know maybe my brother has such kind of program.

or can u download a trial version somewhere?
i would love to try to make my own crappy spray :cheers:

Milo 7 said:
hmmz i only have normal paint :D
i dont know maybe my brother has such kind of program.

or can u download a trial version somewhere?
i would love to try to make my own crappy spray :cheers:

Search the web for Paint Shop Pro, there's a trial somewhere :p

Go to the adobe website, they have a 30 day trial of photoshop.

edit: also, is there a way to tell if the transparacy works without haveing css yet?

My soon to be spray!

Note: intended to be lame, as per 1337-501|)13r5 is :) :D
Theoretically, I did transparency right..

Attachments

• lamespray.jpg
    lamespray.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 602
Back