Deus Ex Human Revolution

This thread exists as irrevocable proof that this forum is largely inhabited by fun-hating nihilistic Asperger's Syndrome sufferers.

Okay. Let's take Half-Life, give it a third person camera switch, and make it so every time he clubs an Overwatch soldier with the crowbar, a totally rad and bitchin' cutscene ensues where Gordon takes five seconds to kill his opponent.

I derived a particular kind of entertainment from Deus Ex that's very different from what I'd get out of, say, Mass Effect or Civilization. I'm sure an arsenal of Duke Nukem-style weaponry would also be fun if EM wanted to throw it in there, but it would still be stupid and detract from I enjoyed in the first game. I don't know why you seem to think there's this linear continuum of "funness" or whatever.

Okay. Let's take Half-Life, give it a third person camera switch, and make it so every time he clubs an Overwatch soldier with the crowbar, a totally rad and bitchin' cutscene ensues where Gordon takes five seconds to kill his opponent.

Full stop. OK - sounds fun. I don't think there's a "linear continuum of funness" (that's a mouthful) at all, I just have realistic expectations for a game that, you know, isn't going to follow the exact same formula of it's dated predecessor developed by entirely different folks with an entirely different design philosophy. Granted, DE is a fantastic game, but it happened. It's done and won't be followed up in the same way. It's not feasible to expect such a thing.

I'm just hoping it's a good example of what it is trying to do.

[...] a game that, you know, isn't going to follow the exact same formula of it's dated predecessor developed by entirely different folks with an entirely different design philosophy. Granted, DE is a fantastic game, but it happened. It's done and won't be followed up in the same way. It's not feasible to expect such a thing.

Amen to that. Let's not repeat the same Bioshock vs. System Shock 1/2 arguments. We have a different game from different people. Open mind and no prejudices.

lol'd at this:

66518392.jpg

Full stop. OK - sounds fun. I don't think there's a "linear continuum of funness" (that's a mouthful) at all, I just have realistic expectations for a game that, you know, isn't going to follow the exact same formula of it's dated predecessor developed by entirely different folks with an entirely different design philosophy. Granted, DE is a fantastic game, but it happened. It's done and won't be followed up in the same way. It's not feasible to expect such a thing.

Fair enough. And with those reasonable expectations in mind, I think HR will be a lesser product as a result.

We already went over this like ten pages ago.

Amen to that. Let's not repeat the same Bioshock vs. System Shock 1/2 arguments. We have a different game from different people. Open mind and no prejudices.

The argument is less about keeping it the same more about taking it further than the previous sequel took it, ss2 was a big step from ss Bioshock just remade it with a good setting

Probably would have made more sense if you posted the actual intro, but whatever, thats funny enough to make me not care.

Deus Ex: The Recut is one of the best videos on YouTube.

I favorited it as soon as I found it on YouTube and must have watched it at least almost a hundred times.

I never cease laughing.

Hearing Paul say "I might as well start doing coke!" is priceless.

Probably would have made more sense if you posted the actual intro, but whatever, thats funny enough to make me not care.
Yeah because it's totally unreasonable to assume that people read a thread about the sequel to one of the most praised FPSs ever might have played the original. First rule of comedy is you don't explain the joke.

The first two posts are from the recut. "Desperate. Your turn." "Desperate." "Desperate." etc.

(Except that one guy misspelled it.)

The first two posts are from the recut. "Desperate. Your turn." "Desperate." "Desperate." etc.

(Except that one guy misspelled it.)

Ah, you're right. I only ever watched the video once before so I didn't recognize that part.

This is kind of neat. Stick around for a while to get a glimse at (what I believe is) the hacking minigame.

http://www.sarifindustries.com/en/
Pretty cool. I prefer Fallout 3's hacking minigame though. I'm sure some stuff could be done to improve this one. More types of navigation and such. The way the ghosts (what I'm calling the the things you have to avoid because Pac-Man) move instantly is kind of annoying though.

I kind of like the way games have turned the hacking sections into these little games. Much more fun than Deus Ex's count-down timer. Actually, the hacking could be pretty cool if you had to get to doors/cameras to hack them the same way you have to navigate to the files. Also, is there any information on whether hacking is a free action in this game or whether it happens in real time, ie, if you're being shot at when you start hacking will the game pause to let you hack?

I love the Sarif Website, the music is great.

Is it just me, or does the Sarif Logo look A LOT like the Sprint Logo? Not sure what their reasoning behind it was, maybe it's supposed to look like a wing?

Pretty cool. I prefer Fallout 3's hacking minigame though. I'm sure some stuff could be done to improve this one. More types of navigation and such. The way the ghosts (what I'm calling the the things you have to avoid because Pac-Man) move instantly is kind of annoying though.

I kind of like the way games have turned the hacking sections into these little games. Much more fun than Deus Ex's count-down timer. Actually, the hacking could be pretty cool if you had to get to doors/cameras to hack them the same way you have to navigate to the files. Also, is there any information on whether hacking is a free action in this game or whether it happens in real time, ie, if you're being shot at when you start hacking will the game pause to let you hack?

I just thought of Bioshock and hacking ceiling turrets while levitating.

I'm going to buy myself a pair of bionic eyes for Christmas.

Ya this is a really sweet site, the music makes the site awesome. It kind of makes me want to get the game. I'll leave that to ZT though!

heh no one notices when i post the site link earlier but do notice the pre order bonuses eh? :p

Big deal, it's exactly the same trailer with some minor tweaks, and additions. I want more gameplay footage.

They really have milked that ****ing trailer to death.

I hate trailers. And poor attempts to revive classic games(at least, this looks like one of those judging from the few minutes of gameplay I've seen).

Whens this movie coming out? Oh wait its a game? well ****.

Back