Discussion of the Improved E3 2k4 footage.

Valve has never said something as to not supporting scripted events.

What do you think the 'hints' are? Scripted sequences = part of AI. AI sees stuff around them and if they think they can do something 'cool' or effective they do that instead of senselessly shooting at the player. Combines knocking down doors or any such thing is done this way, they tell them "you can knock this door down" and the combine weighs the advantages of doing that or firing through a window (which they were told was not bulletproof).

Scripted events? All of them, scripting is part of AI in all games out there, HL2 is just making a leap and going further with it.

Rico said:
Valve has never said something as to not supporting scripted events.

What do you think the 'hints' are? Scripted sequences = part of AI. AI sees stuff around them and if they think they can do something 'cool' or effective they do that instead of senselessly shooting at the player. Combines knocking down doors or any such thing is done this way, they tell them "you can knock this door down" and the combine weighs the advantages of doing that or firing through a window (which they were told was not bulletproof).

Scripted events? All of them, scripting is part of AI in all games out there, HL2 is just making a leap and going further with it.
Most people think of scripted events as the things in half-life 1 that you just watch. Like when the scientist is trying to revive the security guard, when the elevator falls and the scientist killing a headcrab and then another getting him from behind. They happen the same exact way every single time no matter what you do.

Foxtrot, last years video's were made specifically to show the engines capabilities, not necessarily (alright i cant spell that) the gameplay itself... so it may well have been in some way scripted for the purposes of the video, such as in the Traptown Video, as the AI probably wasn't too good at that stage.

The rocks blowing up is a script that the A.I has to carry out. When they see the player, they get a hint to blow up the rocks to stop the buggy. So while no scrippting language is used, it's basically the A.I. hint which is scripted....or whatever makes sense.

Anyway, I'm sure that if we got out of the vehicle and proceeded on foot we might see some different reactions - probably the rocks don't blow up then and the A.I is only hinted to do so when they see Gordon on the buggy only. It would be rather daft of them to blow apart the rocks when gordon is on foot as he can still pass through. (jump over them)

Wouldn't that suck once HL2 came out and like you start the game up and everything is running smooth, then you get into your first battle and the A.I. has like a 0 IQ level, like running into the walls, running in place, etc....is it possible?!!?!?

What would happen if you used a sniper rifle and killed them all?

I noticed one pointless thing: The mines the helicopter drops in the hovercraft scene make beeping noices and try to follow you by rolling. I always thought the chopper was aiming...

tokin said:
Wouldn't that suck once HL2 came out and like you start the game up and everything is running smooth, then you get into your first battle and the A.I. has like a 0 IQ level, like running into the walls, running in place, etc....is it possible?!!?!?

Intelligent A.I was the biggest thing in HL. Valve won't like to screw up the big thing.

A Link Of What?

And if you sniped them all, there wouldnt be anyone to kill, you could run right through... and how are guided barrels pointless? im confused on that one

Burning Fish you must release the full uncompressed DVD version of the video, only then I will forgive you for wasting my time

then it must be down :-/ i cant host the torrent... sum1 here, pls host the torrent, thanks :D

Big Fat Duck said:
Burning Fish you must release the full uncompressed DVD version of the video, only then I will forgive you for wasting my time

You are a fool. Go troll elsewhere.

Big Fat Duck said:

Thank you for being an ass. :D

Rico said:
Or maybe it's *gasp* scripted and make no difference whatsoever anyways.

Valve never said the entire game would be unscripted, no game can do that to this day and still remain entertaining. Do I want to just run around shooting random people I don't even know? That's exactly what a game would be like if it were totally unscripted. There would not be any cool explosions or plot twists, in fact, there would be no plot at all because scripting is what drives the plot.

Need I also mention that the AI in every game is SCRIPTED too? All you do is tell it what to do in different situations, they will not do something you didn't tell them to do.

Just take that as a bit of info you can use to avoid future mistakes.

ok. ? AI isnt scripted. lol :rolling: , hence the label AI. sequences are scripted (like the lab scene with Eli, Mossman and Alex). and to make a story you need scripted sequences. the AI isnt scripted in any game, you program them with animations for certain events and to respond to the player, they do the rest, thats called a non scripted sequence.

They then respond to the situation accordingly (making calculations of their own accord based on rules). creating different occurances based on the players reaction and position within the world.

you talk like you know all, but that was the most silly sentence ive seen in ages.

e.g the striders are clearly unscripted, responding to multiple npc positions, moving around targeting you and them where ever you are. That scene would be too complex to script with whats going on, it would'nt make for very dynamic gameplay if it was scripted.

That's called scripting if you want to get technical buddy. Stop trying to flame and if you have a point at least present it in a mature manner.

There is no true AI yet, that's why people are still researching the subject. Current "AI" can only do and react to scenarios the programmer has already predicted and given instructions on what to do in each situation.

Did I say scripted sequences in my post? I believe you are infering too much from my statements.

PS: Who said I think "I know all"? I don't recall ever saying I did, it must be another one of your assumptions.

Rico said:
That's called scripting if you want to get technical buddy. Stop trying to flame and if you have a point at least present it in a mature manner.

There is no true AI yet, that's why people are still researching the subject. Current "AI" can only do and react to scenarios the programmer has already predicted and given instructions on what to do in each situation.

Did I say scripted sequences in my post? I believe you are infering too much from my statements.

PS: Who said I think "I know all"? I don't recall ever saying I did, it must be another one of your assumptions.
Scripted sequences are sequences that follow a set script, like a movie or a play. That is what is meant by scripted sequences.

Rico said:

I think what he means is that Valve didn't code a predefined "path" that the Striders follow and that only certain NPCs are killed. Thus it's not "scripted". Of course you script the game, but that's also called "coding".

All in all, the AI in HL2 is dynamic, reacting to the environment and following "AI Hints" to do things. Zombies may be retarded, but they will kick anything it can at you. In one interview, Gabe said he and a zombie kicked barrels around. Gabe used the manipulator to throw a barrel at a zombie. It hit it back at him, Gabe hit it back at him, but then the zombie hit it harder and caused it to explode and kill Gabe. :D

Did I say scripted sequences in my post? I believe you are infering too much from my statements

infer? you dont have to get defensive, it was how you wrote it.

:p. I wasnt flaming , just correcting.

it was a pretty silly sentence, youd have a valve employee/AI programmer confused. You didnt state that you where refering to intelligent AI that actually thinks for itself (like we do). like what does it want to do next.?, eat or run , or fight, or go get married.. lol, that kinda stuffs decades and decades away. I think your making excuses. but im going to drop it anyway. no more flaming :)

Dont you guys think its strange, the geezers at valve aren't talking anymore, do you think they are preparing for another big release? (A Bink possibly?)

I understand clarky but I was merely trying to point out that not everything in the game will be unscripted. I've seen a lot of people criticize Valve and say Hl2 will 'suck' because it has scripted events, the same thing every other game in the market has.

I think it's pretty dumb to think everything will be unscripted, that's what I meant in my post.

Real leather.

Notice the shader effects on the suitcase on the table? in motion of course.

It actually looks like real leather...very realistic.

scripting is perfect for games as they are right now though! The programmers can set up various 'scripts' so that in any given situation there are a number of options something can take, they put hints in to make things more exciting so things are more likelyt to go for stuff that looks cool but that is what makes the game great. IU don't want to deal with a real enemy i want something that does its best to entertain me. This is what we shall gewt!

At 6:17 you can see a red thing on the right side of the screen, and i believe it tells the player that he is being shot from behind. Am i right?

Yeah it'll be same as Hl1 just further to the side.

nova prospekt means "town square" or "town something", I forgot the exact word, in slavian languages. See some other thread.

This may be old news, but I've never seen it discussed. In the video at around 10:19 when the G-Man is talking. If you look at what appears to be a reflection, it appears to be some kind of assembly line with things coming out of something and moving allong the assembly line? Any info on that?

On the trashcan: If you look on ALL THE OTHER trashcans you can see that they are reflective. :p So, it's just a reflection. And I can't see ho the hekc you can thinking that there's a guy ^^

Anyway.. That's it ;p

estling said:
On the trashcan: If you look on ALL THE OTHER trashcans you can see that they are reflective. :p So, it's just a reflection. And I can't see ho the hekc you can thinking that there's a guy ^^

Anyway.. That's it ;p

Well, they really hoped that it was Gordon that layed there...

I saw the trash can with my friend in this improved version and I pointed out that it seemed to be a simple reflection. I look at my buddy and he goes " IT'S A MAN EATING A BANANA LOOK LOOKLOOKLOKKK!!!11111". I spend 15 mins telling him the truth... oh well.

And, I'm asking this again: Is anyone with me that striders make noices when they are hurt? You can clearly hear a strider making a gonarch-like sound when gordon hits it. It's just before the second strider scene ends, when gordon fires his last shot. After it hits, the strider turns to gordy and makes this angry noise and blasts him (NO it's not the beam load sound).

Ya, I think I know which sound you mean. Bit weird for a robot to make those sounds but it's cool. I love the sounds of the Alien Gunship when he is hurt and tracking you down as you can hear in the Coastline-movie, sounds so good, really makes you feel that it's a living creature.

Slime said:
And, I'm asking this again: Is anyone with me that striders make noices when they are hurt? You can clearly hear a strider making a gonarch-like sound when gordon hits it. It's just before the second strider scene ends, when gordon fires his last shot. After it hits, the strider turns to gordy and makes this angry noise and blasts him (NO it's not the beam load sound).

Yes, I know. It actually sounds like those noisy arcades when it gets shot.

http://www.nevsky-prospekt.com/ hmm

http://www.nevsky-prospekt.com/aerial.html this looks kinda like the stuff in c17 :p

billbo said:
This may be old news, but I've never seen it discussed. In the video at around 10:19 when the G-Man is talking. If you look at what appears to be a reflection, it appears to be some kind of assembly line with things coming out of something and moving allong the assembly line? Any info on that?
It's even discussed earlier in this thread ¬_¬

Yeah the strider sounds - do they sound like they are creaking sometimes to anyone?

Maybe I'm missing something, but in relation to all your posts about the rocks exploding to block your path:

It looked to me like the rocks exploded because thats where the rollermines emerged from! They appeared to be buried in the road and when you approach them in the buggy the burst out and begin to track and attack the buggy/gordon.

Again - I might be completely off here...

Back