Do you believe in aliens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cavalry

I have been pondering the existence of an alien specie on other planets.
The universe seems way too big for us to be the only living creatures out there.

Also, if yes, do you believe that they have visited?

for me, yes they exist, no they haven't visited.

everybody here believes they exist. At least from what i remember of the last discussion.

Dont know if they have visited yet, but I doubt it.

yeah i believe in them. i just find it hard to believe that somewhere out there in the universe couldn't be another planet like earth given how friggin huge the unieverse is.

There has to be something out there. I doubt that they've come here however.

I believe that it's almost assured that other sentient beings exist on other worlds.

I want to believe that we've been visited numerous times. But I don't think that's true.

Yes...but that doesnt mean they have to be complex life forms...it could just be bacteria or small organisms. If a planet is in correct distance from a sun to support life and has all the necessary materials to support life then the planet would most likely develop life. Considering the vast size of the universe, i think its pretty much impossible for aliens to NOT exist.

In the amazingly vast reaches of space, stuff we can't even begin to comprehend the size of, there has to be another form of life out there.

Do you think there may be other forms of life not limited by the bounds of 3d?

xenu981205072.gif

They exist!

I do because the universe is just too huge for aliens not to exist somewhere.

Their von neumann probes are replicating their way here as we speak.

no, the bible says so we du only specias wif them souls.

Seriously, yes, I think it's almost silly to think that there aren't any? the universe is just to huge. Maybe not intelligent, but most likely some other life.

You know what'd be hilarious?

If we met alien species who had the exact same religion as one of ours. That'd really piss people off.

yes, one of the questions I posed to my father as a young child was-
"Wait, if aliens exist, do they know who Jesus is?!"

believe in aliens? No... theres simply no evidence that they exist so why belief in something without evidence. However Drakes equation implies that there probably is life out there somewhere even if its only bacteriological life.

yeah i believe in them. i just find it hard to believe that somewhere out there in the universe couldn't be another planet like earth given how friggin huge the unieverse is.

Yes because for life to evolve an environment identical to that of Earth is needed. :dozey:

Life has proven itself to be highly resilient and versatile. Who's to say there couldn't be life forms out there happily leaving in an environment that could kill anything that Earth has to offer.

believe in aliens? No... theres simply no evidence that they exist.

That's always such a goofy way to look at things. It's just out of our realm of understanding and knowledge, we just haven't found it yet.

It would be like telling someone in the 15 hundreds about DNA or the atom. "There's no evidence that it exists"

....just because we haven't found it, or it hasn't found us doesn't mean it's not out there.

...ABSENCE OF EVIDENCE IS NOT EVIDENCE OF ABSENCE

Akira wins.

Yes, I believe aliens exist. The universe is just too damn big for them not to. Space would be a pretty lonely place if Earth was the only planet to house life.

Also, reading this thread made me watch this video again :D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mcBV-cXVWFw

That's always such a goofy way to look at things. It's just out of our realm of understanding and knowledge, we just haven't found it yet.

It would be like telling someone in the 15 hundreds about DNA or the atom. "There's no evidence that it exists"

....just because we haven't found it, or it hasn't found us doesn't mean it's not out there.
I never argued for its non existence. Its just that belief for me equals faith and faith very much means belief without evidence. This is why i quoted drakes equation when relating to life out there somewhere. Its not a question of faith but a question of probability in which drakes equations predicts there should be masses of life out there in space somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

However if drakes equation were to be true then you also have to counterpoint the argument with the Fermi paradox...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

Yeah, I guess. I find it likely that other forms of life exist in the universe based on sheer probability. But I'm always skeptical of visitation tales.

Man, it would be so ****ing cool if life was a space opera.

I think its reasonable to assume that somewhere in the universe, life, at least in bacterial form, exist.

I think its slightly less probable, but still reasonable to think that there is multicellular life somewhere in the universe.

I'm skeptical of there being any intelligent life out there, but I still think its quite possible.

However, I think the probability of any of these species ever having visited our miserable little world in the past to be extremely slight, enough to warrant ridicule of anyone who claims to have seen them.

I think that if there is intelligent life out there, it is probably in a very primitive form (like humanity was for most of its hundreds of thousands of years), or it has been destroyed by stellar phenomena, if it hasn't destroyed itself already.

Still, the probability is such that I wouldn't consider it farfetched that there is a species somewhere in the universe capable of sending out radio communications besides humanity.

I think it's entirely possible that there is some other intelligent life out there looking up into the oblivion of the universe and thinking..."Nah"

I regard it as theoretically and statistically impossible for us to be the only intelligent, sentient life in the universe.

I mean, our galaxy, which is not a huge galaxy, has 200-400 billion stars in it... and there are galaxies with as many as 1 trillion stars in them. The universe has at least 100 billion observable galaxies. That's an insanely huge amount of opportunity for life.

believe in aliens? No... theres simply no evidence that they exist so why belief in something without evidence. However Drakes equation implies that there probably is life out there somewhere even if its only bacteriological life.
How could you say they don't exist? I mean really, even though all crop circle sightings are hoaxes, and all that Roswell incident/Area 51 stuff having aliens is all just a hoax, to say we are the only sentient species in existence is very arrogant and, dare I say? Stupid. What about that equation that supposedly calculates the theoretical number of civilizations in our own Milky Way? It's just a theory mind you, but at least they acknowledge the vastness of our infinite universe and the likelyhood of other intelligent beings. There are literally trillions of galaxies out there, many of which we probably haven't even discovered yet. Not to mention the likelyhood of other parallel/alternate universes. We as a species have barely even begun to explore space. Hell, we haven't even set foot on Mars yet. Who are we to say there aren't any other sentient beings out there besides us? If these other races were to see this thread right now, they'd probably laugh at our miserable existence for being so silly.

Tell that to atheists :LOL:

LOL. How true, still let's not drag the thread off topic. :rolleyes:

On the subject of Aliens, given the sheer size of the universe, there is almost certainly life out there is myriad forms and stages of development, the big problem is that the universe is just so 'frikken' ass huge, that the chances of us stumbling across another intelligent species or them upon us, is insanely minuscule, even if you get past the whole interstellar/intergalactic travel problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBV-cXVWFw

Ponderous, but worth the watch.

So, wait a sec. I hope none of you guys who believe in aliens without evidence don't also slam theists for believing in god without evidence. That would just be ironic.

I take a similar agnostic stance on both. They probably exist, but I don't pretend to be certain.

Hehe anyway let's leave religion out of it actually, just couldn't help pointing out some possible irony there.

So, wait a sec. I hope none of you guys who believe in aliens without evidence don't also slam theists for believing in god without evidence. That would just be ironic.

I take a similar agnostic stance on both. They probably exist, but I don't pretend to be certain.

Hehe anyway let's leave religion out of it actually, just couldn't help pointing out some possible irony there.

This is very simple. The fact that there are some parallels such as the lack of evidence is irrelevant. We have no evidence that aliens exist; however, we do know they can exist (because WE exist), and we know that the conditions for life could be and theoretically have been replicated in millions of places across the universe. Aliens are plausible.

God, on the other hand, has no evidence to support his existence, but also no reason to exist, no precedent, et cetera. It's possible God exists, but not as theoretically likely as aliens existence, nor remotely as plausible.

I believe that humans don't know as much as they think they do personally. That's what I think is ironic.(and hilarious) That the whole purpose of science is to explore the unkown, to think outside the box, yet many people continue to remain closed to the probably that other life exists. I say we just wait until we have the technological means to search for life outside our galaxy before we jump to such conclusions.:p

This is a mighty huge universe, far more then the teensy weensy human mind can grasp or comprehend, there is so much that we can not see or can not possibly even be aware of with our very limited senses, and even with the help of our limited scientific "instruments". Other dimensions, other forms of life, not even detectable by us, and very possibly other Universes unconnected from our own. This leaves a lot of room for other life to exist. Even the Bible speaks of "other beings" in the book of Genesis. Study the Roswell incident, see what you find. I have people I know personally that have witnessed "other" crafts very close up in Rural Minnesota, even my own Mother witnessed two on separate occasions, far too obvious and close up to be a "oh, you just saw it wrong" sighting, when she saw "faces" in the portals of this thing. I saw two myself, in such a way there was no other explanation for it then UFO. My Sister and Brother-in-law have witnessed very defined "UFO'S" several times. Other life? Absolutely, and beyond the shadow of a doubt, YES.

How could anyone be so arrogant as to think we would be the only life in the Universe? Most of it comes down to FEAR of belief or KNOWING. Hollywood is based on fear, look at the crap they churn out day after day! If there was other life out there it would upset our (most people) whole apple cart.

I have read, seen and witnessed enough over the years to realize, "we are not alone". Any other ideas are just putting the blinders on and keeping your security blanket wrapped tightly around you. Don't look outside the box, you might see something! :D

BECAUSE YOU DO NOT SEE SOMETHING, OR ARE NOT AWARE OF IT, DOES NOT MEAN IT IS NOT THERE.

This is very simple. The fact that there are some parallels such as the lack of evidence is irrelevant. We have no evidence that aliens exist; however, we do know they can exist (because WE exist), and we know that the conditions for life could be and theoretically have been replicated in millions of places across the universe. Aliens are plausible.

God, on the other hand, has no evidence to support his existence, but also no reason to exist, no precedent, et cetera. It's possible God exists, but not as theoretically likely as aliens existence, nor remotely as plausible.

Bingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back