Doom 3 Plot: See Half-Life 1

Also wasn't there a bunch of Doom novels that spawned? never read them, but I assume they worked the plot some more

ASnogarD said:
Heh, if Doom 3 featured a bespectacled scientist called Fordon Greeman, who worked at a big research complex called Mlack Besa when a experiment went wrong and nasty aliens popped out, aliens like headprawns attaching to scientists and turning them in zombies, then I would be inclined to agree that there were a few similarities between HL 1 and Doom 3.

When ID made Doom 1 they didn't even worry about such a thing as story and plots, they wanted to create a 3D game where the player gets to kick some, thats it. The story was quickly typed out and put on the read.me file so those few players that wanted something to kick start thier imagination.

Now in Doom 3, ID realised that recipe wouldn't work so well these days.... they actually need to a story to make Doom 3 so they hired a professional writer to take the fragments of Doom 1 and make some intresting story.

The only thing that ID took note of and added into D3 from HL 1 was the unique ,at the time, 15 min's till you actually got into a fight gimmick.

You know I would have taken your post seriously, if you wouldn't have written that first paragraph that reflects your bias. :dozey:

Subz said:
newbie.

you missed the part about the evil scientist, the ancient mars race (not demon), and the soul cube.

Dont be so ignorant next time.

and if anything hl1 stole doom1's storyline. Besides it is a remake isn't it? Doom3 will be a great game, as will hl2. i am SURE the doom3 SP story wont matter too much as the hl1 story wasn't too stellar either. its more of the experience.

Correct. Doom 3 should have a kick ass story, they just dont want to give away anything.

The story of Doom 3 is nothing like the story of Doom 1.

This is the story for Doom:

You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the Union Aerospace Corporation.

The UAC is a multi-planetary conglomerate with radioactive waste facilities on Mars and its two moons, Phobos and Deimos. With no action for fifty million miles, your day consisted of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted flicks in the rec room.

For the last four years the military, UAC's biggest supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including research on inter-dimensional space travel. So far they have been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos, throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out the other. Recently however, the Gateways have grown dangerously unstable. Military "volunteers" entering them have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange form of insanitybabbling vulgarities, bludgeoning anything that breathes, and finally suffering an untimely death of full-body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to send home to the folks became a full-time job. Latest military reports state that the research is suffering a small set-back, but everything is under control.

A few hours ago, Mars received a garbled message from Phobos. "We require immediate military support. Something fraggin' evil is coming out of the Gateways! Computer systems have gone berserk!" The rest was incoherent. Soon afterwards, Deimos simply vanished from the sky. Since then, attempts to establish contact with either moon have been unsuccessful.

You and your buddies, the only combat troop for fifty million miles were sent up pronto to Phobos. You were ordered to secure the perimeter of the base while the rest of the team went inside. For several hours, your radio picked up the sounds of combat: guns firing, men yelling orders, screams, bones cracking, then finally, silence. Seems your buddies are dead.

Things aren't looking too good. You'll never navigate off the planet on your own. Plus, all the heavy weapons have been taken by the assault team leaving you with only a pistol. If only you could get your hands around a plasma rifle or even a shotgun you could take a few down on your way out. Whatever killed your buddies deserves a couple of pellets in the forehead. Securing your helmet, you exit the landing pod. Hopefully you can find more substantial firepower somewhere within the station.

As you walk through the main entrance of the base, you hear animal-like growls echoing throughout the distant corridors. They know you're here. There's no turning back now.

It's nothing similar really, besides the UAC, you're a marine and the teleport experiments. It's not even on the same location.

Half-Life took many elements out of this Doom 1 story and improved it, and Doom 3 on its turn took elements out of Half-Life.
While Doom didn't have a real conspiracy story, Doom 3 has, so does HL.

Which isn't a bad thing really, but it's too obvious to be false. Even the start is the same according to reviewers where you wander around the base for 15 minutes before the shit hits the fan.

urseus said:
when in fact its not the game that extended its longevity, but the solid mods.
No game lasts six years without solid mod support.

Looks like they ripped the train ride in Half-Life.

To tired to read ALL posts (read half first page :p)

HL1 copyed Stephen King
Doom3 copyed Doom1

^^

even quake1's story revolved around mishaps with teleportation technology. slipgates anyone?

Dr0ndeh said:
even quake1's story revolved around mishaps with teleportation technology. slipgates anyone?
Quake's story is even more shallow than Doom's. I mean, the invasion was headed by a giant shrub.

While I reserve this phrase for use in ONLY the most exceptional cases, I believe this is one of those cases.

stanr, you are a n00b.

While you had a well structured argument, you lacked the foresight to actually try and find any information on the subject in which you were arguing.

Yes sir, you're a n00b.

It's what I just call, "Too close for comfort." There's a point where games can just barely border on blatant storyline copying and this is it. :hmph:

They could've made it totally different and still have a fun game, just because Valve used their Quake engine and made an awesome game doesn't mean they have to copy what they did.

Still, D3 will be fun and so will HL2 and knowing iD, it won't be anything like HL anyways, heh.

SubKamran said:
It's what I just call, "Too close for comfort." There's a point where games can just barely border on blatant storyline copying and this is it. :hmph:

They could've made it totally different and still have a fun game, just because Valve used their Quake engine and made an awesome game doesn't mean they have to copy what they did.

Still, D3 will be fun and so will HL2 and knowing iD, it won't be anything like HL anyways, heh.

I'm a bit unclear...who are you saying copied whom? Are you saying iD copied Valve? Because it's been shown in the thread that D3 is based on the original Dooms which came before HL.

Subz said:
give it up. j00 is teh owned!!

dont worry even gabe newell got own3d. "omFG im t3h Hax0r3d MY SOURCE c0d3 OH NOEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

This thread is pretty much finished anyway, i just wanted to comment that reading this sort of crap really annoys me. learn to type, it's just not funny when you type in leet speak anymore. (I dont mean you personally, well, yes i do, but everyone else too!!) Type properly, it's not hard.

What is the point of this argument? I'm asking all parties involved. Lots of stories are similar. Joseph Campbell once postulated that every story ever told is just a variation on one or two narratives: "The Hero's Journey" and "The Fire Theft." Doom III (as well as I and II) and Half-Life are textbook examples variations on the former.

That said, I don't see what the argument is about. The reason these two narratives have been echoed throughout history is because they work. People like stories of a lone everyman reluctantly transformed into a hero through antagonistic circumstances, whether it be Winston from 1984 or Gordon from Half-Life, whether it be Moses or the marine from Doom. Nobody's stealing from anyone here.

Nobody is copying anybody you twits. Doom3 takes place on mars, and in hell, Half-Life 2 takes place on earth, city 17, I don't see a hell in half-life 2, and I don't see demons, I see aliens. Lmao how in the hell did you compare the two? Eh? They are not the same. Hell, scooby-doo came out with episodes about mad scientist before any of these guys did. Hell, look at frankenstein.

Neutrino said:
I'm a bit unclear...who are you saying copied whom? Are you saying iD copied Valve? Because it's been shown in the thread that D3 is based on the original Dooms which came before HL.

Yes but at D3 they are making it too much like HL. Remember that Marc already has it all written down, the full HL bible was already written when HL was made. There was not much to copy of DOOM1 and 2, hell, I don't even remember seeing anything like a story in those games.

The Half-Life story is already finished, it was finished when HL was being made.

Now, you can also argue DOOM3 and Half-Life are totally different because you're not fighting on Earth (are you?).

Besides, like I said, DOOM is made to scare the sh*t out of you, you won't be walking around without a gun :D

PS. I'm not saying ID copied Valve, it's just too close for comfort. I better not see any man in a suit watching from a balcony in D3 :D

SubKamran said:
Yes but at D3 they are making it too much like HL. Remember that Marc already has it all written down, the full HL bible was already written when HL was made. There was not much to copy of DOOM1 and 2, hell, I don't even remember seeing anything like a story in those games.

The Half-Life story is already finished, it was finished when HL was being made.

Now, you can also argue DOOM3 and Half-Life are totally different because you're not fighting on Earth (are you?).

Besides, like I said, DOOM is made to scare the sh*t out of you, you won't be walking around without a gun :D

PS. I'm not saying ID copied Valve, it's just too close for comfort. I better not see any man in a suit watching from a balcony in D3 :D

Just one thing. There were stories to D1 and D2. I think there was a quote from the story of D1 a little ways back....here:

You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the Union Aerospace Corporation.

The UAC is a multi-planetary conglomerate with radioactive waste facilities on Mars and its two moons, Phobos and Deimos. With no action for fifty million miles, your day consisted of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted flicks in the rec room.

For the last four years the military, UAC's biggest supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including research on inter-dimensional space travel. So far they have been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos, throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out the other. Recently however, the Gateways have grown dangerously unstable. Military "volunteers" entering them have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange form of insanitybabbling vulgarities, bludgeoning anything that breathes, and finally suffering an untimely death of full-body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to send home to the folks became a full-time job. Latest military reports state that the research is suffering a small set-back, but everything is under control.

A few hours ago, Mars received a garbled message from Phobos. "We require immediate military support. Something fraggin' evil is coming out of the Gateways! Computer systems have gone berserk!" The rest was incoherent. Soon afterwards, Deimos simply vanished from the sky. Since then, attempts to establish contact with either moon have been unsuccessful.

You and your buddies, the only combat troop for fifty million miles were sent up pronto to Phobos. You were ordered to secure the perimeter of the base while the rest of the team went inside. For several hours, your radio picked up the sounds of combat: guns firing, men yelling orders, screams, bones cracking, then finally, silence. Seems your buddies are dead.

Things aren't looking too good. You'll never navigate off the planet on your own. Plus, all the heavy weapons have been taken by the assault team leaving you with only a pistol. If only you could get your hands around a plasma rifle or even a shotgun you could take a few down on your way out. Whatever killed your buddies deserves a couple of pellets in the forehead. Securing your helmet, you exit the landing pod. Hopefully you can find more substantial firepower somewhere within the station.

As you walk through the main entrance of the base, you hear animal-like growls echoing throughout the distant corridors. They know you're here. There's no turning back now.

You are all crap.

If you really have the time to "argue" this topic, how about turning all that unproductive energy into something that will benifit the world at large? Like killing yourselves in new and exciting ways for example.

"HL ripped off Doom!"
"Doom ripped off HL!"

Wankers the lot of you.

EVIL said:
-_- another DOOM³ suxx thread
lol

I didn't actually realise it but you're right!! These doom 3 sux threads are disguising themselves as being legitimate threads these days. I admit even this one sucked me in.

Raxxman said:
Also wasn't there a bunch of Doom novels that spawned? never read them, but I assume they worked the plot some more

Yeah. The first two were alright. The latter two, well anyone who has read them likes to pretend it never happened.

Fixed said:
If you really have the time to "argue" this topic, how about turning all that unproductive energy into something that will benifit the world at large? Like killing yourselves in new and exciting ways for example.

"HL ripped off Doom!"
"Doom ripped off HL!"

Wankers the lot of you.

You registered yourself for this?

Smawg said:
Nobody is copying anybody you twits. Doom3 takes place on mars, and in hell, Half-Life 2 takes place on earth, city 17, I don't see a hell in half-life 2, and I don't see demons, I see aliens. Lmao how in the hell did you compare the two? Eh? They are not the same. Hell, scooby-doo came out with episodes about mad scientist before any of these guys did. Hell, look at frankenstein.

Woah... your capabilties of making connections is really limited...

Fixed said:

"HL ripped off Doom!"
"Doom ripped off HL!"

Wankers the lot of you.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

Post of the day goes to Fixed, who was absolutely spot on with his analysis of this thread.

Well this thread follows the classic formula.

1. Uninformed person talks out of their ass.
2. 80 replies bag him
3. Thread is locked.

Step 3 is yet to happen!! I feel lost what do we do now?!!?

Doom 3 doesn't have to suck for HL2 to rule.

The question of one ripping off the other is so stunningly retarded that discussing it automatically lowers your IQ by ten points.

If you spent half as much energy on useful pursuits as you do on syphilitic yammering, you'd be lord and master of a piece of the UK about the size of Rhode Island with scantily clad women who split their time between LAN parties and mud wrestling.

Fixed said:

"HL ripped off Doom!"
"Doom ripped off HL!"

Wankers the lot of you.

....Sigged :D

Heh, that was his first post as well.

He's probably one of those weirdo casual gamers that reads the forum once a month, actually has a life and is absolutely disgusted by the trivial stuff we talk about endlessely.

What a weirdo!!

Pi Mu Rho said:
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

Post of the day goes to Fixed, who was absolutely spot on with his analysis of this thread.

I think that this whole site, in relation to things that are truly important, is completely pointless and absurd. As a matter of fact, HL2 and ALL forms of entertainment are pointless and absurd when you break down what we really need to survive. So in effect, you and your mod pals spend your time telling fellow geeks and nerds what qulifies as pointless, as opposed to what is pointless. I think that we are just a bunch of people who have common interests that like a good discussion. Now, people's connotation of a "good discussion" varies wildly. For example: I thought that this this thread was a very fun thread to read, but you agreed with the fellow who suggested that we consider suicide if we liked this thread.

In short, what I'm trying to get across is, I think if many people around here could (for just a moment) stop thinking they they are god's gift to HL2/gaming and just realize that NO ONE is making you read these threads or MAKING you comment on them if you don't like them, then things might lighten up a touch. Because in the end, this all COMPLETELY POINTLESS and we're just geeks.

But that's just my opinion, I might be coming out of left field with all of this.

ShadowFox said:
And besides, Doom 3 is based on the original Doom story, which came way before HL.
Doom didn't have a story. It had a premise. Half-Life took that premise and made it it's own by turning it into a genuine story.

moron... they remade the orignal doom plot... so what you actully say that hl1 stole from doom.

N0N1337H41 said:
I think that this whole site, in relation to things that are truly important, is completely pointless and absurd. As a matter of fact, HL2 and ALL forms of entertainment are pointless and absurd when you break down what we really need to survive. So in effect, you and your mod pals spend your time telling fellow geeks and nerds what qulifies as pointless, as opposed to what is pointless. I think that we are just a bunch of people who have common interests that like a good discussion. Now, people's connotation of a "good discussion" varies wildly. For example: I thought that this this thread was a very fun thread to read, but you agreed with the fellow who suggested that we consider suicide if we liked this thread.

Someone is taking things far too seriously....

In short, what I'm trying to get across is, I think if many people around here could (for just a moment) stop thinking they they are god's gift to HL2/gaming

Who's doing that then?

and just realize that NO ONE is making you read these threads

I'm a moderator. I read all posts. Bit pointless, otherwise.

or MAKING you comment on them if you don't like them,

That's just my little gift to the community.

[/quote]then things might lighten up a touch. Because in the end, this all COMPLETELY POINTLESS and we're just geeks.[/quote]

Anyone who's been here long enough to know me would have taken my post with the humour intended.

But that's just my opinion, I might be coming out of left field with all of this.

k....

Stanr, you uneducated piece of shit... Doom came LONG before half life did (i think about 4 years or so)... Its funny how you were trying to "own" Doom for supposedly stealing Half Life's story, when, actually it is completely the other way around.

This is a really sad thread, an obvious troll comes in here and posts something stupid then everyone has to post huge replies about how he is an idiot and then suddenly we are at page 8.

BaNDiT said:
Stanr, you uneducated piece of shit... Doom came LONG before half life did (i think about 4 years or so)... Its funny how you were trying to "own" Doom for supposedly stealing Half Life's story, when, actually it is completely the other way around.

QFE! Stanr if you read this go screw yourself!

Except when you played DOOM....... You just ran around shooting mindlessly and finding healthpacks behind the "hidden door"...

Is it just me, or is this thread going around in circles?

People need to stop bashing Doom 3. Even if you aren't interested in the game, I don't think there's any denying it's going to be a top notch title.

Back