Doom 4 Announced

Maybe you remember seeing the Tech 5 demo a while ago, and they were showing off huge open areas. In fact I thought that was one of the great new things of it. Anyway yeah, I doubt Doom 4 will have physics handles on shrubbery or whatever.

I want to blow up shit on Mars surface TBH.

I do, but that wasn't Doom, which will definitely have it's fair share of indoor areas. Quake 4 had you go outside quite a bit, but it didn't really result in a performance hit.

A good example of an engine feature the devs decided to omit from the release version of Doom3 due to hardware constraints. :thumbs:

They were seriously considering implementing it??

I think it'd be awesome if they took the 'massive slaughter' element of doom1/2 and multiplied by 10 and then expanded on that with better graphics and added game mechanics... but I can only dream. ;(

I think it'd be awesome if they took the 'massive slaughter' element of doom1/2 and multiplied by 10 and then expanded on that with better graphics and added game mechanics... but I can only dream. ;(

Agreed. My main problem with Doom 3 was that it was absolutely nothing like Doom 1 and 2. Somehow id managed to filter out everything that made the series work - instead of constant action against demons from Hell, we got a failed attempt at a horror fps.

I say make Doom 4 old skool. Bring back the pump action and line up the demonic legions for some serious ass kicking.

Agreed. My main problem with Doom 3 was that it was absolutely nothing like Doom 1 and 2. Somehow id managed to filter out everything that made the series work - instead of constant action against demons from Hell, we got a failed attempt at a horror fps.

I say make Doom 4 old skool. Bring back the pump action and line up the demonic legions for some serious ass kicking.
Thank you. /applaud*

Hell yes,

They were seriously considering implementing it??
...and yes. :|

Definitely bring back the DBS.
What was the point in having a DBS in D3 though? All the demons in that game were a bunch of wimps compared to the ones in previous doom games. Even the CyberDemon was a freaking wimp in D3.

The Maledict (final boss in the D3 expansion pack) was the only challenging enemy in the whole two games. :p

If anyone from ID is reading this, don't compromise the "# of onscreen enemies" and the action for some new gay ass engine feature.

Awesome graphics alone !> Awesome gameplay

Your doom fan base is not your E3 exhibit dammit. :angry:

Heh, it's fun to see a group of Zombies/Sarge's hit the dust from a double blast from the DBS in Doom 2 and I bet it could've been fun in Doom 3 too. :p

people have been giving Doom 3 shit for so long for this

there were some monsters that were in a storage or maintenance shaft that are triggered when you do something and they jump out

for the most part, the shit all made sense though. I expect that when I open up a door or service hatch in this kind of game that something will probably be in there. I mean how else are you going to have enemies to fight?

but that was pretty amazing when compared to Doom 2 - where you press a button on the wall, and entire walls come down like doors and 4 imps are standing on 100 foot high moving stone pillars that drop down to the floor
What was the point in having a DBS in D3 though? All the demons in that game were a bunch of wimps compared to the ones in previous doom games. Even the CyberDemon was a freaking wimp in D3.

The Maledict (final boss in the D3 expansion pack) was the only challenging enemy in the whole two games
I think I disagree with everything here. Maybe you played it on easy or something.

you guys do know that the double barrel was in D3 expansion, and was quickly modded into D3

but that was pretty amazing when compared to Doom 2 - where you press a button on the wall, and entire walls come down like doors and 4 imps are standing on 100 foot high moving stone pillars that drop down to the floor

Abstract stuff like that was something I loved in Doom. Being maddeningly random was what made it such a good depiction of a possible Hell.

I actually never minded the monster closets in Doom 3. The more demons popping out the merrier. They were just few and far between and, instead of being used to keep the action flowing, were used to punctuate dull tension building moments with cheap scares. Walking about in the dark for 5 minutes for one imp to pop out of a locker isn't a good payoff.

Some info, from the id Software website:

Production has begun on DOOM 4™, the next journey into the legendary DOOM universe. We are expanding our internal team and are currently hiring to work on this highly anticipated title.

"DOOM is part of the id Software DNA and demands the greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry to bring the next installment of our flagship franchise to Earth," said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. "It's critical for id Software to have the best creative minds in-house to develop games that meet the standards synonymous with our titles."

The DOOM franchise is one of the most recognizable and important in gaming history, having been named "one of the ten most influential games of the decade" by PC Gamer and "the #1 game of all time" by GameSpy. DOOM 4 will join the award-winning series which has consistently topped sales charts throughout the world.

We are looking for talented, ambitious and passionate individuals eager to join our accomplished team of developers working on the industry’s most innovative and anticipated games. For a complete listing of available positions, visit our id Careers page. Resumes can be submitted via email to [email protected]. All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.

They are looking to hire new people for the Doom 4 team. That could be you. .. or not.

Back