EGM/1up.com Editor "heavily impressed" by HL2.

lans

Reaction score
Well, this guy is some EGM (electronic gaming monthly) editor (elliot shawn) , who got to play the game. By the tone of his respondents, you'll know he's legit.

http://lithium.1up.com/zd/board/mes...ssage.id=268192&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

His quotes are:

I agree about Halo vs HL 1. But I'll shit my pants if Halo 2 can outdo HL 2. HL 2 is like Stanley Kubrick made a videogame, not necessarily in its tone, but in its near absolute perfectionism. Everything from A.I. to dificulty to sound to music to pacing to dialog to just plain imagination is clearly the product of years and years of love and genius

Best shooter ever made. Possibly the best single-player game I've ever played

IMO HL 2 makes a mockery of HL 1, it's that good. I'm just giving these guys the benefit of the doubt, but I honestly think there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Halo 2's single player will be better. But it's apples and oranges and when I review Halo 2 I won't even make the comparison. But as an FPS nut who loves console and PC, I can have my personal opinions.

Doom 3 and FarCry are garbage compared to this. Doom 3 more so. I really wish I could tell you why, but you'll have to wait. Once the reviews start coming out you'll get a better picture.

The ant lions are amazing. Did you know they can fly? : )

I can't really say much about it yet, but it's good stuff. And a very clear indication that either HL 3 or a series of expansions are on the way.

Interacting with the environment is amazing. The sheer imagination in the level design, events, surprises, and discoveries you make as you play is amazing. The AI of friends and foes is amazing. The pacing, and variety is amazing. Ditto for characterization, visual effects, audio effects, music, level of difficulty, everything. It's like Stanley Kubrick made a videogame and obsessed over every detail. There's not a whiff of commitee anywhere.

I'm a total HL 2 fanboy now. You're right in that Halo 2 "could" be better (of course if I already played through the final game i couldn't tell you), but here's the thing: I play most every FPS in existence and I have never, ever seen anything remotely close to Half-Life 2. Not even. Let's say I haven't played Halo 2 yet. I'm still in a position to say that its single-player would have to be absolutely fscking nuts to beat HL 2. But the whole argument is pointless. You'd be stupid to overlook either game, and until the Source mods start rolling in, Halo 2 will have the sicker multiplayer anyhow.

Sounds very cool. Come to think of it, someone should make a Stanley Kubrick game.

Is that spoiler anything major? I skipped it, out of fear of being spoiled. :p

LoL, I knew it! It is the best! HAHA! Guess what fanboys that are gonna let some heads roll now...

Mechagodzilla said:
Sounds very cool. Come to think of it, someone should make a Stanley Kubrick game.

Is that spoiler anything major? I skipped it, out of fear of being spoiled. :p

Not major...very minor.

BTW - confirmed legit. He is indeed an editor from EGM (electronic gaming monthly).

Also, he confirms the A.I. rocks. I assume combine A.I does, although the squad ain't that good.

Nice one, but there is no criticism. No matter how brilliant, there is always cons. could have mentioned some criticism.

The spoiler is nothing to serious. You can actually see an example of the spoiler in the coastline e32004 video

Man, yet another great review. How much longer do we have to wait?? ;(

Edit: OK, not a review. But the guy still seemed quite impressed :p

Sharasment panda said:
Nice one, but there is no criticism. No matter how brilliant, there is always cons. could have mentioned some criticism.

It's not a review ;)

Thanks lans :D

haha, hl2 owns halo2, its funny watching all the unnerving post by halo fanboys who now are pissed cause the editor of egm praises a pc game.

Now if they would only let the rest of us play the freaking game.

lans said:
The ant lions are amazing. Did you know they can fly? : )

That's not really a spoiler. It's in the coast video.

Yeah, the spoiler, that amazed me too, when I played it, defenitly a Wow factor.

Doom 3 and FarCry are garbage compared to this. Doom 3 more so. I really wish I could tell you why, but you'll have to wait. Once the reviews start coming out you'll get a better picture.
Quoted for emphasis. ^_^
Though its generally been the consensus of every reviewer so far.

Sweeeet :D

You know, other reviews could have been biased a bit, but I doubt it was part of the reviewing contract to post on a forum and promote it, so this is a very believable opinion.

Amazing and awesome are so overused they are almost worthless. Awesome should mean that you are literally in awe at the sight of it... but modern Americans use it to refer to something as plain as a hotdog.
Eddie Izzard said:
(speaking in a fake American accent)
President: So, what's space like?
Astronaut: It's awesome, sir.
President: Awesome, like a hotdog?
Astronaut: Like a hundred billion hotdogs, sir.

which american accent?
Ghetto? Southren? New York? New Jersy? Main? or plain english?

Warning, do not try to read that thread over there because there are spoilers from page 9 on, I think.

Adrien C said:
Yeah, the spoiler, that amazed me too, when I played it, defenitly a Wow factor.

You mean, when you played the infamous "leak". When I did, it wasn't the Wow factor, it was an AAAAARRGGHH!!!!!1 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: factor. Even in the open areas they can be a real pest (don't even want to imagine what a massacre it becomes in an indoor combat...)

It's so amazing that people who pay nothing for the game get to play it first, but for the people who sheld out 50-60 bucks on a steam pack dont get to play shit... is there something wrong with this picture?!?!

I think this group of people here at HL2.net picked the right game to be obsessed over. :E

Narcolepsy said:
I think this group of people here at HL2.net picked the right game to be obsessed over. :E

... for emphasis.

It's time for me to kick EGM-Reading Halo 2 fanboy ass. :E

I don't care about reviews, or what someone thinks of a game that they got to play that i cannot. The incessant teasing is starting to piss me off.

Good to hear he's so impressed tho.

operative x said:
It's so amazing that people who pay nothing for the game get to play it first, but for the people who sheld out 50-60 bucks on a steam pack dont get to play shit... is there something wrong with this picture?!?!

Actually, no there isn't. They get to play it free and before us because they're the press. It's their words that reach the most people, and therefore garner the most publicity for the game. Valve isn't going to give Joe The Chronic Masturbator an early, free copy of Half-Life 2 just so he can spew fanboyisms over the internet. With a publication you're going to hit a lot more bases communication-wise. I work for a college newspaper and we get to see advance movie screenings for free because we're giving those titles the spotlight (college newspaper bad example; obviously not reaching a lot of folks). You get the picture, though.

A.I. said:
You mean, when you played the infamous "leak". When I did, it wasn't the Wow factor, it was an AAAAARRGGHH!!!!!1 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: factor.

quote of the century....

DAMNN!!!!!!! I NEED TO PLAY THIS GAME!!!!!! *behavinglikedrugaddict* pleeeeeeeeze give it to me!!!!!! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

I got sent to an error message page on that site.

I want this game extremely badly as well. After reading the US PC Gamer review I nearly shit my pants with excitement. All this good press is really reinvigorating the hype I had for this game last year. And that quote about it being like a Stanley Kubrick project just left my jaw hanging.

I know Gabe's creative sensibilities, especially in terms of cinema, have been highly-refined in taste. And I remember reading that one of his favorite filmmakers was Kubrick. So that really lit me up inside when I read that. It's that very cold, almost alien way of depicting the harsh reality of the world that Kubrick did so well, especially in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

To see a futuristic vision akin to that, especially in a game, leaves me with goosebumps. They really have transcended the different mediums with this project it seems. We always see 'best fps ever' thrown around every now and then.

I hate to jump on the bandwagon without having played it myself, but it seems like they might have hit the nail on the head this time with that line. I can imagine people showing screenings of segments of Half-Life 2 at art houses and such. That may be a bit overboard, but hey it could happen.

operative x said:
I know exactly what you mean, i am just pissed and want to play the game!!! RAWR!
o btw i found this at bungie.com http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=810495
THOSE FOOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERONE AT HL2.NET REGISTER AND VOTE HL2!

Dear God, I actually tried to read some of the posts on that thread, and I had to close it immediately from the overwhelming lack of information that is circulating in that thread. It is not even worth trying to communicate with a wall. So why bother? :dozey:

They actually said hl2 would be............. boring... WTF!!?? AND Halo has better graphics.... WTF??! Morons i tell you. Sure halo 2 will be a great game but it wont be the almight hl2.

Back