Emails from Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, i go play bf for a while and come back to see this...sick...lol, thatd be cool

I know someone posted this earlier, but does that mean the videos will only be released on steam???!!

Originally posted by BaNDiT
I know someone posted this earlier, but does that mean the videos will only be released on steam???!!

Maybe, won't they just get uploaded on the net anyway?

Yes, which is OK for all you non-steam users since I predict it will end up on Kaazaa in 5 minutes or so.

Can someone please tell me exactly what steam is. thanks. and also how it works. thx

I dont know but I think it allows you to get updates for you games and purchase new ones and stuff. Just my guess ...

coool, thx for the info. i cant wait for them to release the vids. do you guyst hink they will be anythingn ew or the e3 vid

There is a whole website and forum dedicated to Steam. For a quick overview, it's a program that allows you to subscribe to games (half life only for now) and play them on their network. You get automatic patches etc. It's pretty buggy now since it's in Beta, but it's a good concept. In game server browser, in game friends list + chat, and you don't need half-life to play for now. You dont need a cd key or anything since this is beta and they didnt bother. Lots of bugs though so learn to deal till they fix it. Check out http://www.steampowered.com for more information.

Edit: Oh yeah, they will probably be selling Half-Life 2 over that. and other VALVe additions.

awesome, thanks again. i hope they release some new vids. im goin crawzy

np. I'm gonna close and reopen Steam a lot over the next few days so when the updates come I'll be one of the first, so I dont have to worry about a net slowdown or anything.

Originally posted by jhero
OMG, i go play bf for a while and come back to see this...sick...lol, thatd be cool
nice i play bf too, well DC cause its sweet. We should game.

I cant get steam to work: it just hangs at the point where it says it's going to upload my install (why the hell is it doing that? Wouldn't that take hours even if it worked?)

try restarting ur pc i had the same trouble wif cs 1.6 but a restart fixed it all. maybe it will work for you just a suggestion m8

Originally posted by jhero
...and will there be music played during singleplayer campaigns and possibly multiplayer?

A: We haven't said anything about multiplayer.

I love that party line on Multiplayer. :thumbs:

don't take a day off this thread, I took me a good hour to catch up, lucky there's nothing to do at work on sun.

Hmm...

This Party line I speak of, Have Valve confirmed Multiplayer for HL2? I know they said the 32player limit is no more, but will it ship with MP or are they relying on the MOD scene to provide it?

Is this the dumbest question posted on the forum?

Do you have to pay for the upcoming vids if you d/l them from steam? wtf **** steam
:flame:

what happens if you buy a game, d/l it, and then it gets errased somehow. do you have to rebuy it or what?

They obviously not only have MP but something new that they are keeping close to their chests.

I went to work, before I left this thread had 3 pages, and over the course of another 3 pages (mind you i go by 40 posts a page), absolutely nothing about the topic was covered. Sad? No. Annoying? No. Lack of emails? Yes. People, POST YOUR SHIT.

well damn guinny everyone has took all the good questions.

There are two issues - content delivery and playability.

HL-2 has better netcode than HL-1 thanks to Yahn and Mike Dussault's new
approach. It takes less bandwidth for the same game on HL-2 than HL-1.

For content delivery, it's a question of how soon do you want it? If you
leave your Steam connection on all the time and we deliver a 10 MB update,
it's going to be delivered in the middle of the night so you won't even know
that it's happening. If you turn it off and you have to wait for the update
when you turn it on, then it's entirely a function of your bandwidth as to
how long it will take to be delivered. The reality is that Steam will do
content delivery over an arbitrarily slow connection - it's more a question
of whether or not you leave that connection active all the time.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2003 3:32 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: low bandwidth and HL2 multiplayer

Hello Gabe,

With the current HL 1 netcode / engine I can easely play HL DM or a mod like
CS
with no lag (ping 60 for example). I use now ISDN 64K (sometimes 128K) and
CS
for example is well playable with ISDN. But here is the question: People who

can't get broadband in their region, are they able to play HL DM with ISDN
without lag?

I heard STEAM is broadband only (they recommand atleast 512kb/s download
rate)

Does that mean that people who don't have a broadband connection can't play
multiplayer with HL2 anymore? I would be disapointed because even CS is
playable with isdn...

Grtz,

Someone should make a Mod where you get to play as one of the white robots of death from the planet Krikket :cheese: anyone who has read the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy series will know what i mean.

Oh my God do you people read posts. I already addressed a lot of these questions. You don't pay for videos on Steam, only for new games when they come out, such as Half-Life 2 -- to eliminate the middle man (vid game stores) and get the most profit.

Second, you don't need half-life to play steam. I already said this, so your friends who are too cheap to get Half-Life can play on Steam, but it's very buggy.

EDIT: (NOT SURE, SPECULATION): And if you leave your Steam connected for a long time, I don't think you'll get the updates. Throughout the time that Steam has been up, you recieve patches when you close the program and then open it. So while people are on CS 1.6 using platform 14, other people who just opened the program could be on platform 15

The reason I'm not sure is because of this thing called monitor in steam. It shows the connection activity and sometimes it runs on and off while Steam is on, so I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure the HL2 vids will be available when you next open Steam (when the vids come out)

amen

I vote to Sticky this thread. anyone else wanna vote? :cool:

Aye. We could send off the first few pages to Planet Half-Life since we have info not many (hopefully) know about.

Yeah. Maybe the originator could make another post with only the e-mails, and quote the people who sent the e-mails. Caus this one is full of useless junk like this post right here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back