Erm Bad news inside. I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty unlikely as HL sold in grotesque amounts (but in a good way) so it's not like they're short on money at all.
And I've never heard of dev's getting money for announcements like that... I don't see it making any sense...

You all have just got to stop and chill for a second...

Ok first of, I've never heard of that site before, if anybody asked me I'd say that site sounds like its probably full of shit.

Second, what im sure is what we all read is incomplete, its just a quote, an excerpt from a whole "interview" (if there even was one).

Now about that whole tech implementation thing, the goal in HL2 as has been stated is that the engine should be scalable. It was this very same level of flexibility which has allowed HL1 to survive all this years even if by today´s standards the original HL engine looks severely dated. To pursue competing against next gen technologies such as the Unreal 3 engine would not be lucrative. Source is an engine meant to be competitive NOW, to compete against something that isn't even out yet or not even supported by hardware alone is just jumping out of a plane without a parachute.

Engine development for the most part makes guesses if it aims to be next gen, otherwise it analyzes what is available (DX 9.x & OpenGL 2.0) and tries to accomodate for the most of that technology as it would be needed. Not everything in an api is useful for a FPS engine tho most developers try and make the most of it. If they've invested as much as they have, believe me, the game WILL be out as soon as they have it ready and just update the engine through steam as technology allows it. That is the only one true way to create revenue these days, because you already have a user base and you can progressively offer your userbase more as you go through the software's life cycle.

Fact is with what little that we do know now we can speculate all we want but we won't really know after this year's E3, so I recomend all you ladies out there to just CHILL OUT. I want that game to come out just as bad as everybody, but I won't give into panic because the HL community's favourite website in decline posted somethingthat just came out of their own ass. Just a few days ago they were posting on their front page that they wouldn't publish gossip or unfounded rumors and today I wake up they post this crap. Some people mentioned here how that site is ran by a$$holes, well I agree, but ranting aboutit won't do a thing. Somehow they got ahold of it, turned itno their own little clubhouse and just screwed the rest, that's their problem.

In the meantime, let's all relax, wait for E3, I have a feeling that it might bring some good news, I personally don't think that it would get delayed but we'll just see.

If not Munro's gonna be broke :p

If HL2 was going to be delayed, Valve wouldn't be starting all the press hype, would they?

It was a purely hypothetical comment by Gabe. The game is not delayed until 2005.

Of course, PlanetHalfWit* didn't help with their overtly sensationalist headline. Morons.

*Opinions are entirely poster's own, and are not the opinions of Halflife2.net, Munro or HotSoup's cat

SnowFirePrime said:
Ok first of, I've never heard of that site before, if anybody asked me I'd say that site sounds like its probably full of shit.

Second, what im sure is what we all read is incomplete, its just a quote, an excerpt from a whole "interview" (if there even was one).

Now about that whole tech implementation thing, the goal in HL2 as has been stated is that the engine should be scalable. It was this very same level of flexibility which has allowed HL1 to survive all this years even if by today´s standards the original HL engine looks severely dated. To pursue competing against next gen technologies such as the Unreal 3 engine would not be lucrative. Source is an engine meant to be competitive NOW, to compete against something that isn't even out yet or not even supported by hardware alone is just jumping out of a plane without a parachute.

Engine development for the most part makes guesses if it aims to be next gen, otherwise it analyzes what is available (DX 9.x & OpenGL 2.0) and tries to accomodate for the most of that technology as it would be needed. Not everything in an api is useful for a FPS engine tho most developers try and make the most of it. If they've invested as much as they have, believe me, the game WILL be out as soon as they have it ready and just update the engine through steam as technology allows it. That is the only one true way to create revenue these days, because you already have a user base and you can progressively offer your userbase more as you go through the software's life cycle.

Fact is with what little that we do know now we can speculate all we want but we won't really know after this year's E3, so I recomend all you ladies out there to just CHILL OUT. I want that game to come out just as bad as everybody, but I won't give into panic because the HL community's favourite website in decline posted somethingthat just came out of their own ass. Just a few days ago they were posting on their front page that they wouldn't publish gossip or unfounded rumors and today I wake up they post this crap. Some people mentioned here how that site is ran by a$$holes, well I agree, but ranting aboutit won't do a thing. Somehow they got ahold of it, turned itno their own little clubhouse and just screwed the rest, that's their problem.

In the meantime, let's all relax, wait for E3, I have a feeling that it might bring some good news, I personally don't think that it would get delayed but we'll just see.

If not Munro's gonna be broke :p

Yeh i suppose your right i guess i can play cs:cz ova n ova n ova again even though i already finished it like 15 times - even though i probably shouldent have brought it...o the countless hours spent by copying deleted seans mdl.s to cs folder .... well that was rather off topic

Mind you they did delay that as well *starts to shake" o i better go get ready for some more solitary confinement :(

If HL2 was going to be delayed, Valve wouldn't be starting all the press hype, would they?

eh...are you really asking that? Do you not call "HL2 WILL be out Sept. 30th" starting press hype?

There is no reason to bash planet halflife on this, all they did was post the quote from Gabe. they aren't saying it means the game will be delayed, they are simply doing their job in keeping the community informed.

Munro said:
The game will be out this year :) If it's not I'll give a free copy of HL2 to everyone who's posted in this thread and picture myself buying them dressed as Gordon Freeman :)

Posting just in case I can get in on this.

PiMuRho said:

It was a purely hypothetical comment by Gabe. The game is not delayed until 2005.

Of course, PlanetHalfWit didn't help with their overtly sensationalist headline. Morons.

Newell: "delaying the game to 2005"

haha that was funny actually.
anyway, that site looks suspicious, i'm not gonna trust any alleged interviews or anything until after e3. I think we're very close now, and the SDK was supposed to be close too.

PHL's headline:

They did not just post the quote from Gabe, they completely removed the context to make a sensationalist headline, suggesting that the game is delayed.

If they were just "keeping the community informed", then they could have gone with "New Gabe interview" or similar.

coax said:

haha that was funny actually.
anyway, that site looks suspicious, i'm not gonna trust any alleged interviews or anything until after e3. I think we're very close now, and the SDK was supposed to be close too.

Yeh very - look they even got their dates wrong :

http://pc.vgpro.com/game/halflife2 :rolling:

Yeah.. It's like they were trying to make a small shock factor.. Really 'gay'.
I just laughed because it was such a ridiculous quote to choose for the headline.

Mayb they meant for the xbox - but they wanted to start a hype so they left that little part out

Munro said:
The game will be out this year :) If it's not I'll give a free copy of HL2 to everyone who's posted in this thread and picture myself buying them dressed as Gordon Freeman :)

just posting just in case... :E

The funniest thing about this is that all of this PHL hating started from back when they were reporting hl2 most likely won't be coming out on Spet. 30 as announced, and up sprouts the halflife2.net lynch mob. if anything the fact that they were right only made you guys hate them more.

Laff @ u

Nice assumption on your part there. I don't "hate" PHL any more than I hate, say, stupid people that make ridiculous assumptions.

As I amply pointed out, their usage of an out-of-context quote has only served to inflame the masses. That's what I object to - deliberate sensationalism.

Er.....yeah. Ok.

Nice assumption on your part there. I don't "hate" PHL any more than I hate, say, stupid people that make ridiculous assumptions.

I think a more rediculous assumption is your assumption that I was addressing you specifically. I was obviously referring to the forum in general, and their childish mob mentality.

As I amply pointed out, their usage of an out-of-context quote has only served to inflame the masses. That's what I object to - deliberate sensationalism.

They simply took the attention grabbing part of the quote and stuck it in the headlines, a very common practice. The entire thing is available for the reader just below the headlines. You people are blowing this way out of proportion, but there is nothing out of the ordinary when PHL posts a small news article and halflife2.net hosts a 13 page long thread bashing them for doing so. It's silly. Get over yourselves.

Yes, it's a common practice. With tabloid newspapers. Are you denying that it was deliberate sensationalism?

there is nothing out of the ordinary when PHL posts a small news article and halflife2.net hosts a 13 page long thread bashing them for doing so.

Heh, I love this. That suggests that hl2.net goes out of it's way to create such a thread. Well guess what? It happens all by itself. Do you know why? It's because we have the biggest forum community.

It's silly. Get over yourselves.

Oh, right away. Right after you. After all, if you're not part of the solution...

Are you denying that it was deliberate sensationalism?

Even if it was deliberate, it doesn't matter. It certainly doesn't warrent such attention.

Heh, I love this. That suggests that hl2.net goes out of it's way to create such a thread. Well guess what? It happens all by itself. Do you know why? It's because we have the biggest forum community.

No. This community is big, but there are only two types of threads that CONTINUALLY break the 13 page barrier. Word game threads in Gen. Discussion, and "LOOK! PHL is doing something stupid again!" threads. It's not the size of the community, it's the uncalled for contempt this community has for PHL stemming from the days you people were delluding yourselves into believeing hl2 really would ship on Sept. 30 and PHL didn't know what they were talking about.

I don't know where you get off saying this is THE biggest forum community in the first place.

Oh, right away. Right after you. After all, if you're not part of the solution...

The only solution is to let yourselves mature from pimply faced twats into mature rational adults.

Including yourself, I take it?

We should get a clarification up on the news page ASAP.

Including yourself, I take it?

You have obviously conquered me with your in-humanly clever wit. My humble attempts at reason and rationale are futile agaisnt such a diabolical mind.

:imu:

the later they'll release the game the bigger nail to their coffin it will be.
2005? sheesh man... at that time games will make HL2 look prehistoric. actually i think far cry already did it imho. technically.

Well, if that were true, Cujo, then DNF's coffin would be entirely one big nail by now...

And I'd have to disagree with you about Farcry...

Well if Duke Nukem Forever is released next year ...on the Unreal engine....hmmm. I can't see it being very successful unless it has lots and lots of strippers.

DNF is game that'll be never released. When it will be, it got no chance to be groundbreaking. Developers of this joke simply can't fit into technological race. Too long in development.

It's a shame.. Duke Nukem is such a good game too, and I wanted hi-poly naked dancers.

My humble attempts at reason and rationale are futile agaisnt such a diabolical mind.

Oh yes, let's see an example of your reason and rationale, shall we?

The only solution is to let yourselves mature from pimply faced twats into mature rational adults.

Right, so now we've established your level of reasoning, we'll say no more.

Oooh! A complete lack of logic and reason! Well done!

Look at it this way, the longer we have to wait until the game comes out, the more money we can save up to upgrade our PCs

thomashiles said:
Look at it this way, the longer we have to wait until the game comes out, the more money we can save up to upgrade our PCs
Oh joy. :|

People shall now cease from trying to look on the bright side of things.

thomashiles said:
With all due respect, on a list of reasons to deal with another delay I would put that pretty far down the list.

I just hope that it comes on summer :) I believe they are working really hard...

Diablo2k said:
I just hope the delays won't cause higher recommended specs..
You're right...but i'll buy a new videocard :)

Gabe would have said this at any stage in the game's development. What's the big news?

omg some ppl here are talking like it's delayed..

i think it will be released in a few months, maybe just after e3.

Else I would be truly dissapointed..i don't think i can take another delay :\

I'm seriously looking forward to this game lol, never had that like this before :)

PHL aren't the ones with credibility issues.

That being said, I don't believe that quote means HL2 is delayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back