F.E.A.R. Reviews thread

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
Since the release date is close , i posted this thread.

F.E.A.R. First Impressions [IGN][Read All]
The game as a whole looks darned gorgeous. With a 6800GT and a 3.0GHz P4 in this particular rig, the auto-detect performance settings cranked almost every bell and whistle to the max (minus soft shadowing, which is very demanding on even the latest cards). No antialiasing, but anisotropic filtering was set to 4x at 1024x768. The stress test has changed from an in-engine cinematic to a Unreal Tournament-style fly-through, and this rig average 39 frames per second. Not too shabby. So it does appear that the game is indeed been optimized since the demo was released. You will want a DX9 card, preferably no less than a Radeon 9700 Pro or GeForce 6600GT. The gunfire haze, smoke effects, heat shimmer, distortion effects and filters, slo-mo tracers, explosions, bumped-mapped textures, and reflections all look quite pretty. And every detail setting is explained in the options menus, which is a nice touch, instead of having to dig through a manual or Google it for something that's hopefully explained in English, and briefly. You shouldn't have much trouble getting FEAR to perform to your liking, since there's a very long list of options you can toggle or adjust to certain levels.

F.E.A.R. Hands-On - Impressions of the Retail Version [Gamespot][Read All]
F.E.A.R. is turning out to be the first-rate action game that we have hoped for, though the question is whether it can maintain its momentum throughout the course of the whole game. Still, we can safely say that the combat in F.E.A.R. is some of the best we've ever seen, and the game is certainly creepy. However, the challenge in creating such an intriguing story is finding a way to end it satisfactorily. We'll find out and give you our final verdict in our review soon, but for now, you'd best get ready to experience some F.E.A.R.

IGN says full review tomorrow

PCGamer : 92%
PCZone : 90%

More reviews soon

looking good although the demo played poorly on my laptop so i probably won't get it
you should really use www.metacritic.com for all reviews - it really does it well and it's a great site too

After playing about ten straight hours in my first sitting, stopping for a bite to eat...

Sounds like this game may be longer than 10 hours after all. This guy played for 10 hours straight and didn't beat it.

It sounds better and better as I read more about it :)

IGN have first review?

Hmmm, somehow i'm skeptical of the score already.

TheSomeone said:
What's that supposed to mean?
I usually find that IGN overrate games in general.

That's just me though.

Sparta said:
I usually find that IGN overrate games in general.

That's just me though.
Actually, that is true. They have been known to do that, but then you had Gamespot underrating games. I found as of late that IGN and Gamespop are sort of switching spots. Where IGN underrates games and Gamespot overrates games. I think the last couple of weeks they have been on the mark with their ratings though..

That's just me though.

Shamrock said:
Actually, that is true. They have been known to do that, but then you had Gamespot underrating games. I found as of late that IGN and Gamespop are sort of switching spots. Where IGN underrates games and Gamespot overrates games. I think the last couple of weeks they have been on the mark with their ratings though..

That's just me though.
Gamespot are very up and down with me.

Sometimes they're spot on (Rome:Total War, Ninja Gaiden) Sometimes they overrate (Rogue Squadron on GC, Halo 1 and 2), however they also seem to be more console elitists than anything else. But we could get into a debate on why they rate console games higher (limitations of the system, no bugs yada yada) over pc games. Both arguments have merit but no one really gives a shit anyway .

Sparta said:

Sometimes they're spot on (Rome:Total War, Ninja Gaiden) Sometimes they overrate (Rogue Squadron on GC, Halo 1 and 2), however they also seem to be more console elitists than anything else. But we could get into a debate on why they rate console games higher (limitations of the system, no bugs yada yada) over pc games. Both arguments have merit but no one really gives a shit anyway .
I agree with you. Ninja Gaiden and Rome: Total War deserve the scores that they received but I think that Devil May Cry 3 should've gotten a bit more, even though I only played it for about five hours.

Sparta said:

I'm just not a big fan of the straight average system they use. In no way are Sound and Graphics as big of an issue in a game as Gameplay...

They should redo their ratings to be a total of 100 possible points:

10 - Graphics
10 - Sound
30 - Gameplay
30 - Value
20 - Tilt

That'd give a much better picture of a game rating for me.

I'd prefer just straight 9/10 or 10/10.

Because once it gets up into 9.4 -.8 -.9 etc, there's little to no difference in the decimals, and its still not perfect. I'd just prefer it if they gave it either a straight 9 or 10

Sparta said:
I'd prefer just straight 9/10 or 10/10.

Because once it gets up into 9.4 -.8 -.9 etc, there's little to no difference in the decimals, and its still not perfect. I'd just prefer it if they gave it either a straight 9 or 10

I like more distinction. In my mind there's a clear difference between a 9.0 and like a 9.6 and NO game I've played yet deserves a 10.

I hear FEAR is already out if you're in Canada....BASTARDS :p

Although I am close to the border.... hmmmm.

AmishSlayer said:

god damn :(
im so hyped

AmishSlayer said:

Are you ****ing serious???? I am going out RIGHT NOW to check
Has anyone else heard this? Or has anyone seen it around Toronto anywhere?

IonizeMyAtoms said:
Are you ****ing serious???? I am going out RIGHT NOW to check
Has anyone else heard this? Or has anyone seen it around Toronto anywhere?

Some people on the IGN boards in Canada said they have it. Some guy said he got it at EB for $60 (CA I assume).

I am seriously considering going to Canada and grabbing it this weekend :p I've been waiting for this game for so long.

Well I just checked Future Shop on Yonge, EB and CompuServe in the Eaton Centre, and another little place in the Atrium and no one had it. So for any other Torontonians here, don't bother with those places

Do you have a link to that board? Does it say where they live?
I reeaally want it

Edit: Found it

I really want this game (even if it doesn't run on my puter too well :p)! The reviews seem very positive.

I'll make sure I check a few stores today, just incase. :)

wilka91 said:
what??? only 12 hours???????????? :x :x :x

Goddamn it!

Anywhere from 10 to 15 hours is pretty good for an FPS. Heck, HL2 was about 15 hours right? Any longer and you risk getting "Doom 3-itis" where you stretch out the game unnecessarily and you get lots of tedium.

Sounds like from the review the only hangups were environment and a couple minor holes yet to be filled for plot...but I didn't see anybody complain about HL2's holes.

Also the guy complains about getting into email and computer files too easily. Doom 3 had the same thing with massive amounts of PDA's lying around with no password protection whatsoever.

He said gameplay is great and the experience really pulls you in. That's all I need :)

Just read it, sounds awesome.
I'm just a little disappointed about the environment like he wrote in the review. But I'm looking forward to play it myself though. :)

Bit short but not too bad, hopefully the loose ends will be tied up in an expansion :)

Cool. Gamespot should have their review up sometime today as well. I predict 9.0-9.3

AmishSlayer said:
Sounds like from the review the only hangups were environment and a couple minor holes yet to be filled for plot...but I didn't see anybody complain about HL2's holes.
QFT... no one said anything about HL2's story holes being a problem, and the ones he listed don;t seem to be anything I'm really gonna be thinking about while blasting fools anyway

Oh man, it looks so awesome. Once I have my new computer I'll be down to Walmart like a fat kid after a cheeseburger. But one thing, I love Half-Life 2, the action, the plot, background, characters, it's the best game I've ever played. Do you think it's possible FEAR could de-throne it? I'm scared.....

DannyC. said:
Oh man, it looks so awesome. Once I have my new computer I'll be down to Walmart like a fat kid after a cheeseburger. But one thing, I love Half-Life 2, the action, the plot, background, characters, it's the best game I've ever played. Do you think it's possible FEAR could de-throne it? I'm scared.....

Not if you think HL2 is the best game ever. I think I'll like it better for the good combat and feel (judging on the demo). I didn't care for HL2 combat and I really didn't like the weapons.

I don't understand why so many people didn't like the weapons. What was wrong with them?

Back