F.E.A.R. Reviews thread

DannyC. said:
I don't understand why so many people didn't like the weapons. What was wrong with them?

The pistol was better than the main sub-machine gun except at the shortest ranged battles. I couldn't stand how crappy the smg was. My favorite weapons had VERY little reserve ammo so I didn't really want to waste it if I didn't have to (I pretty much never felt the situation required these weapons). There were no cool alien guns in the game, lack of explosives from the first, grav gun lost its novelty after a while (along with physics).

D/ling old FEAR vids from gamespot's "Capped Speed" free servers right now. I'm getting 860 KB/sec and still climbing with just mozilla, no d/l manager or anything :p

Man...I just watched that very first 13min demo they did at E3 in '04 I think. I watched it in my room, alone, lights off, it's 2am. I'm creeped out from just watching that. Cannot...wait...any...longer...

EDIT: IGN has their vid review up now too.

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/681/681912/vids_1.html

I too love HL2, if you ask me, it's currently the best game around.

I am no fanboy, but I just love the engine (personal thing. I really like the feel and texture of everything)

And I agree with amish's comment.

But if you ask me, FEAR has an engine that dethrones source with ease. If they would just tweak the physics to be more entertaining, and less realistic, then I think it's the best engine around. As it stands though, it is far superior to source.

sinkoman said:
I too love HL2, if you ask me, it's currently the best game around.

I am no fanboy, but I just love the engine (personal thing. I really like the feel and texture of everything)

And I agree with amish's comment.

But if you ask me, FEAR has an engine that dethrones source with ease. If they would just tweak the physics to be more entertaining, and less realistic, then I think it's the best engine around. As it stands though, it is far superior to source.

The only thing I see missing from the physics engine is destructables like Source allows. Is that what you were talking about?

I just watched the video review from IGN and the guy didn't exactly go into much detail. He talks about the graphics a lot and a bit about the premise of the game...but not much more than that. I think GS does video reviews much better as they are pretty much the review on tape with footage examples and some extras sometimes.

w00000t great :D

Amish does the video review got spoilers ?

DigiQ8 said:
w00000t great :D

Amish does the video review got spoilers ?

Not really. It just shows gunfights, a part of the opening cinema (which you've seen if you played the SP demo or most of the other vids) and some MP footage.

AmishSlayer said:
Not really. It just shows gunfights, a part of the opening cinema (which you've seen if you played the SP demo or most of the other vids) and some MP footage.
/downloading

Jesus H Christ I just got the shit scared out of me. I just turned out my lights, went to the fridge to get some water, headed back to my room and I hear a baby crying from a nearby apartment then 5 seconds later our fire alarms go off for a second or two. They've been fixing them today and they're kinda on the fritz.

All this FEAR footage has been getting to my head. Time to go to bed and have a few nightmares. Later :p

the game is out next tuesday in uk and ireland, odd that as games usually come out here on a friday, the only other game i can think that had a different release date is hl2 which had a worldwide release date, guess monolith are looking to do this kinda release too, sweet, cant wait, i play the mp demo alot, slowmo tdm is quite fun although no bf2 for squadplay but great to pass a few hours...

John Carpenter praises F.E.A.R. saying, "It's the scariest game I've played. "

INTERVIEW HERE

EDIT: lol

Q: So you didn't put any of your own ideas into it?

JC: No, I'm just here to pimp it, that's all (laughs).

EDIT2: John Carpenter sounds like a cool guy in general.

Gamespot review 9.1

"F.E.A.R. is quite easily one of the most intense and atmospheric games that you'll play, and it's a spectacular blend of horror and action. You can't help but get the feeling that this is a game that's the spiritual successor to the original Half-Life, because it's so obviously inspired by that classic game. Indeed, some of the locations and enemies are highly reminiscent of those in Half-Life. This is a game that will thrill you one moment and scare you the next. F.E.A.R. features some of the greatest gunplay available in a first-person shooter, and it elevates the art of firing a gun to whole new levels. This alone makes it an incredibly intense game that must be experienced. The fact that it's also one of the creepiest games ever made is just icing on the cake."

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/fear/review.html?sid=6135744

cadaver said:
You can't help but get the feeling that this is a game that's the spiritual successor to the original Half-Life, because it's so obviously inspired by that classic game. Indeed, some of the locations and enemies are highly reminiscent of those in Half-Life.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/fear/review.html?sid=6135744
I told you there were obvious Half-Life influences, but noooooooooooooo everyone called me a fanboy, said "what do you expect on a HL2 forum".

**** you whoever said that to me.

AmishSlayer said:
The only thing I see missing from the physics engine is destructables like Source allows. Is that what you were talking about?

I was reffering to how unfun certain objects are. Like barrels. I know in real life, barrels don't tumble when they're shot like in source, but i'll be damned if it isn't more fun.

Shelves and stuff too. And it'd be nice to see furniture rock (not fly) around the room when a rocket touches down.

sinkoman said:
Shelves and stuff too. And it'd be nice to see furniture rock (not fly) around the room when a rocket touches down.

yeah a sofa is hardly going to literally fly quickly across a room. sure it would leave the ground but not hit the roof, bounce off and slam into the other wall across the room. some tweaks here and there would be good for the source engine.

FEAR is amazing though. nothing better than hearing '**ck! he took out the squad!' as you slow-mo through a squad with a shotgun. its satisfying when you rip through your enemies and not get hit once...*leaves to play the demo again*

this game is amazing, 14 hours left to play the game :E :cheers: :D

I love P2P

Edit: LOL sparta, my answer would be: I m outside the DangerZone

Better edit that post before an admin catches on Gorgon

Gorgon said:
this game is amazing, 14 hours left to play the game :E :cheers: :D

I love P2P

Edit: LOL sparta, my answer would be: I m outside the DangerZone

Jesus Christ - why don't you reward Monolith for making such a superb game with your money instead of pirating it you bastard :frown:

SFLUFAN said:
Jesus Christ - why don't you reward Monolith for making such a superb game with your money instead of pirating it you bastard :frown:

hmm you are 100% right, I agree with what you said. :D

I hope they optimized the demo, I tried running it at 1024*768 at medium settings and 1280*1024 at high settings and I didnt see ANY difference in my framerate.

Just watched the Gamespot video review, very good. It looks really amazing. Can't wait to ***ing play it!!

JellyWorld said:
I hope they optimized the demo, I tried running it at 1024*768 at medium settings and 1280*1024 at high settings and I didnt see ANY difference in my framerate.

I ran it on 1024 ALL HIGH settings and i mean all. FULL AF AA. I was getting NO Slow downs.

7800gtx
1gig 2.2.2.5
10,000rpm hd
fx55

I got no slow downs.

What was so "crap" about it? Combat is top notch for shooters, AI is great, graphics are great (unbeatable effects for sparks, debris, etc), creepy as hell and it has those precious ragdolls that people keep going on and on about.

Raziel-Jcd said:
I ran it on 1024 ALL HIGH settings and i mean all. FULL AF AA. I was getting NO Slow downs.

7800gtx
1gig 2.2.2.5
10,000rpm hd
fx55

I got no slow downs.

uh MAYBE YOUR COMPUTER HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT? :p

Raziel-Jcd said:

7800gtx
1gig 2.2.2.5
10,000rpm hd
fx55

I got no slow downs.

nice, my pc won't have problems. look sig :D

I hate every last one of you.
I wont even get dx9 effects T_T

I don't have any probs running everything High (AA & AF too) in the demo with

AMD64 3200+
1GB pc3200 ram
Leadtek 6800GT (OC'ed to ultra)

I'm actually looking forward to this now. Hopefully i'll have 2 x BFG 7800 GT's in SLi by the time it comes out. The fan on my X850 XT PE died...again, they don't have any in stock at the moment, so i'm going to ask for 2 7800's and pay the difference.
It played ok on my system though.

I don't know how, but the game started to run really well on my PC today.

I didn't do any changes, except the drivers change from ati 5.8 to 5.10.

I also overclocked my X800 pro from 475/450 to 530/540 (it can bear more than that), and the SP demo ran at 60+ fps for the most part at max settings, 1024, no AA/AF/vsync/soft shadows.

then I turned on AA 4x, and it still ran fast!!! I can't believe it.

Today it runs faster with all maxed and 4x AA than last week at medium details and no AA!!! woot!

fear will run in my PC?

processor pentium4 1.8ghz
RAM 512
videocard geforce 5500 fx

btw the drivers increase the fps of the games?cuz hl2 runs like a 10 fps and if I dowload drivers it can run at higer fps?

<RJMC> said:
fear will run in my PC?

processor pentium4 1.8ghz
RAM 512
videocard geforce 5500 fx

btw the drivers increase the fps of the games?cuz hl2 runs like a 10 fps and if I dowload drivers it can run at higer fps?
Probably not... if it runs, it will run very badly.
I don't know anything about nvidia drivers, but you generally should be using a recent driver. 10fps sounds awfully low... what detail settings are you using?

AmishSlayer said:
What was so "crap" about it? Combat is top notch for shooters, AI is great, graphics are great (unbeatable effects for sparks, debris, etc), creepy as hell and it has those precious ragdolls that people keep going on and on about.
I agree with everything except the ragdolls. The ragdolls are very average in F.E.A.R and i've heard no one say anything about them

Sparta said:
I agree with everything except the ragdolls. The ragdolls are very average in F.E.A.R and i've heard no one say anything about them

I'm just making the point that the game does have ragdolls for those people out there that ABSOLUTELY NEED ragdolls in order to enjoy the game (i.e. COD2 haters for the lack of ragdolls).

Back